• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

n00b Quetions

crocker84

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Midwest
I apologize if this is in the archives, I have been searching quite a while but can't find a definative answer. I have a new RCBS press and RCBS hand primer. I just purchased a Hornady case trimmer, and I am wondering if the Hornady shell holders will work in my hand primer and press.

Also, I haven't purchased my dies yet, is it worth while to mess with the type S dies or should I just get started with the RCBS competition dies. I am new to all of this, but I have read volumes. I am trying to keep it fairly simple until I get a rhythm down.

Re: n00b Quetions

only thing to do is try the shell holder in the hand primer and press. I have the RCBS hand primer and only use RCBS shell holders.

Don't know about shell holder interchanging...

You didn't mention caliber, but if you are running a popular caliber....

I would recommend the following dies:

Quality FLS
Forster bump/necksize bushing die
Micrometer-head sleeve type Seater

I have the complete Forster setup for 308 and think its great. Its a bit pricey, but is the most versatile setup you can get. I have the National Match FLS, which allows me to size for autoloaders, or I can set it for less sizing. I can neck-only size with interchangable bushings, or I can only bump the neck, or both at the same time. The sliding sleeve Seater gives more concentric ammo, and YES, the $20 extra is frickin worth it for the micrometer head. Set it up one and from then on, dial up your number and go to town.

Yes, Hornady shell holders will fit an RCBS ram. All brands may not be interchangeable but I haven't ran into one that isn't yet. Lee, RCBS, Hornady, and Redding shell holders, RCBS and Redding presses, RCBS hand primer.

EDIT: For full length sizing I won't guarantee proper length, most companies make their sizing die to length for the thickness of their shell holder to size to SAMMI specs. I don't know if all brands of shell holder are all the same measurement from the base of the rim to the top of the shell holder. If you have the holder for your die set it will fit the other equipment though. The only time shell holder thickness is critcal is sizing. The die and shell holder usually don't touch in seating.