• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Name or Maker of this Muzzle Brake?

Garys4598

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2009
Olympia, WA.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Request for assistance:</span>

Does anyone know the name or maker of the below group of what appear to be custom high caliber muzzle brakes?

//image removed//

confused.gif

Re: Name or Maker of this Muzzle Brake?

Oh damn.... that's right.

These are Coop's Accuracy Ltd. custom proto-type brakes and the very one depicted at bottom..... is the very brake that's been fabricated to be affixed to the barrel of my one-off Savage .308 specialty pistol build.

crazy.gif

They are made by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting. They are called his Pain Killer Muzzle Brakes. In my opinion, they are the best brake on the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garys4598</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh damn.... that's right.

These are Coop's Accuracy Ltd. custom proto-type brakes and the very one depicted at bottom..... is the very brake that's been fabricated to be affixed to the barrel of my one-off Savage .308 specialty pistol build.

crazy.gif
</div></div>

.308 pistol build? I want to see it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are made by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting. They are called his Pain Killer Muzzle Brakes. In my opinion, they are the best brake on the market. </div></div>
Ya know.... after doing a little online websearching after reading your reply, I do believe you are spot-on.

So for me.... the plot thickens. Hmmmmm....

Many thanks <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">propulsionclimbing</span></span>!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semper Fly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garys4598</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh damn.... that's right.

crazy.gif
</div></div>

.308 pistol build? I want to see it! </div></div>
Get in line!
laugh.gif
. . .
laugh.gif
. . .
wink.gif

Seriously though, the gun is being built by Scott Null of S&S Sporting. I sent him the new undesignated Savage dual-port target action approximately three months ago, and he's ordered the rest of the components. He now has the 17" match grade barrel from McGowen Precision, and today at my request he is shipping the receiver's bolt off to Kampfeld Custom to have it spiral fluted. I've contacted and have placed an order with Keith Johns for two different custom bolt knobs that he fabricates..... And the guy coordinating the fabrication of the specialty pistol's bolt-action stock is Neal Cooper. I'm having the stock cut from Turkish Walnut (yea.... I know, not very tactical for this forum and its members, but.... the gun is gonna look <span style="font-style: italic">REALLY </span>sweet once it is all assembled).

Anyway, once I have the completed project in my possession you can be sure that I'll post plenty photos. Photos better than the one immediately below: my custom Savage Sport Striker .22WMR that is sporting a Neal Cooper neallam laminate stock (this puppy shoots sub-MOA at 100yds, I kid you not).

Savage22WMRStrikerNeallamPistol002.jpg

Savage22WMRStrikerNeallamPistol016.jpg

Wow!

That thing looks pretty sweet! The only problem is, someone stole the rest of your stock.
grin.gif

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!

That thing looks pretty sweet! The only problem is, someone stole the rest of your stock.
grin.gif

-Pat </div></div>
Oh gee..... haven't heard (or read) <span style="font-style: italic">that one</span> before!!!!
crazy.gif

Now.... come up with something equally as witty to write concerning the skull below (I'm sure you can pull something suitable out of your arse). Or perhaps better yet, say something intelligent concerning the ammunition spill depicted:

Savage22WMRStrikerNeallamPistol013.jpg

Savage22WMRStrikerNeallamPistol010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garys4598</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are made by Kirby Allen of Allen Precision Shooting. They are called his Pain Killer Muzzle Brakes. In my opinion, they are the best brake on the market. </div></div>
Ya know.... after doing a little online websearching after reading your reply, I do believe you are spot-on.

So for me.... the plot thickens. Hmmmmm....

Many thanks <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">propulsionclimbing</span></span>! </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">propulsionclimbing</span></span> -- It's been confirmed by my source; you are incorrect; those are absolutely not Allen Precision Shooting PainKiller brakes depicted in the photo I posted (beleive it or not).

The APS PainKiller brakes have their shear porting at a much more severe back angle (Reportedly, on a pistol shooting extremely large caliber wildcat ammo, those ports would literally blow the shooter's hat and hearing protection off. NOT a design that I personally would be interested in.) Oh, and the APS PainKiller brake costs significantly more that what these proto-type brakes will be offered at, once they reach production schedule.

whistle.gif

Gary, here's a link to the introduction of The Muscle brake that will likly end up on your pistol.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/new-concept-muzzle-brakes-44252/

Neal Cooper contacted me about changing my current brake to meet the needs of handgunners, I also think this is going to be a kick ass rifle brake as well. They are in production as we speak the first ones are lathe turrned out and will go to milling operations on monday.

Should be available in 14 days on www.centershotrifles.com
Scott will likly be ordering a few for customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim See</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gary, here's a link to the introduction of The Muscle brake that will likly end up on your pistol.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/new-concept-muzzle-brakes-44252/

Neal Cooper contacted me about changing my current brake to meet the needs of handgunners, I also think this is going to be a kick ass rifle brake as well. They are in production as we speak the first ones are lathe turrned out and will go to milling operations on monday.

Should be available in 14 days on www.centershotrifles.com
Scott will likly be ordering a few for customers. </div></div>
Thank you Jim! (Oh, and "you win the cigar" for correctly identifying the brake's maker/designer.)

I absolutely concur with you concerning Coopers' 'muscle brake' will be an exceptional long rifle brake as well. Once you get it up into production I hazard to guess orders for the brake to affix to rifle barrels will be 99% of your business, with specialty pistol shooters (like myself) making up the last 1%
wink.gif

Interesting note though... I paid Neal more than twice what you/he estimate the retail price to be once they're available (Ummmm... I communicate with Neal several times a week; he was my verification "source' mentioned earlier).... I simply couldn't wait!

smile.gif

Oooo! Look! An XP-100.
Been there. Done that. Went back to a real rifle.

Nice stock though. Looks like a Darth Maul special.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooo! Look! An XP-100.

Nice stock though. Looks like a Darth Maul special. </div></div>
Obviously you haven't "been there, done that" because what you were looking at wasn't an XP-100. It's a friggen Savage Sport Striker in .22WMR.

And the stock -- NOT a Darth Maul special either. It's a Cooper Accuracy Limited neallam laminate with solid resin core.

You clearly don't know <span style="font-style: italic">JACK</span>.

frown.gif

Hey jack, once you have explored the real world with your Savage handgun, like I did years ago with Remington, albeit .223 and 7mm-08, you'll realize their limited novelty, keep them for occasional fun, but ultimately opt for a rifle when you actually want to hit things from multiple positions.

I do like the laminated stock. Darth Maul is a fictional character with a red and black face and horns.

Enjoy your toy. I'll be the guy behind you hitting things in front of you you can't see.

That looks exactly like Kirby Allens brake to me. Darrel Holland is making one similar also.

Nathan Dagley makes a great brake that have a very uniqie and functional desgine to it , he also makes one that has a bit more material accross the bottom to vent more gas out the top and not blow up so much debris.

their on his web page , he been swamped lately and not doing installs but I believe he is still making brakes for sale.

http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

he had sme video on his web site demonstrating the effectiveness of the brake on a 338 Edge.

in the nicest way possible what a douche bag! one day I will know it all and nobody will know more than me or have anything as cool as mine. Untill then I'm a DA that has a great hobby and uses this as entertainment and knowledge for my shooting fettish. I'm not an antognistic person, but errogant people infuriate me. not wanting to get into a knock down drag out just my .02. good day to all (sry for the piss poor grammer)

Cool looking pistol btw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oooo! Look! An XP-100.

</div></div>

dinc....really? Was that necessary? Nice post, jump in a shit on a guys custom pistol that he obviously has devoted a bunch of time and money to. Anything useful to add?

Damn, these boys are wound a little tight. Seems to have gotten really common on the Hide in the last year or so. Long for the days when we actually concentrated on shooting here, not proving one's knowlege or lack there of.

BTW, nice pistol Gary, pretty impressive accuracy for a .22 mag.

okie

Hey Jason, how's the cardboard box kingdom? I'll try to be useful.

I was sincere in complimenting the stock. Wood laminates may not have all the durability of a good composite when flying around the globe to multiple climates, but they have a warmer 'feel' and, I personally believe, better damping characteristics than an all composite. Also, they don't 'walk,' ie. you can pressure-bed them (although who would want to) and they will hold the upward pressure on the barrel. Composites won't, they will flex and the pressure will drop. The red and black was already explained. Hey, I'm a Ute.

Long range precision pistol is an oxymoron. Multiple challenges include the joys of the LER scope and trying to get a sight picture, the challenge of trying to use a rifle scope with awkward positioning and recoil avoidance, the question of trying to replicate ANY position for multiple shot consistancy and then recoil absorption consistancy. The list goes on. Stick with a rifle to hit stuff.

A hand-cannon is easy to carry though. And they are great fun to just blast things with, the visceral joy of launching projectiles downrange and seeing the results of all that kinetic energy. Gary, Enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey jack, once you have explored the real world with your Savage handgun, like I did years ago with Remington, albeit .223 and 7mm-08, you'll realize their limited novelty, keep them for occasional fun, but ultimately opt for a rifle when you actually want to hit things from multiple positions.

I do like the laminated stock. Darth Maul is a fictional character with a red and black face and horns.

Enjoy your toy. I'll be the guy behind you hitting things in front of you you can't see.
</div></div>
My toy gets used almost exclusively, even in WI's shotgun/pistol only areas. Its killed a lot of critters from many positions. I shot a WI doe last year from a standing position and many animals from the prone position, out to 490 yards. I plan on exploring the real world with my pistol this year in WY, I drew antelope and mulie tags and I'm only bringing the pistol!
Here's my standing doe
08whitetail.jpg

A 450 yard lope
08doe2.jpg

and a half min 3 shot 600 yard group(long range pistol=oxymoron?)
600group.jpg

I'll make sure I keep in mind the fact thats it's a limited novelty.
Oh yea, LER pistol scopes are a thing of the past, with a good break I'm able to use a full field of view with a 168gr 7mm bullet @ 2900fps. And the neallam stocks have a composite center-section that doesn't need any bedding and doesn't flex, so there's no contact with the barrel to worry about. A lot has changed since your days of playing around!

Gary, He called tuesday and I discussed the top port hole and suggested he find a milling machine to use and cut a small slot in the first port to reduce muzzle rise on the center grip 338wm. He called today and said it worked perfect and the bipod legs never left the bench. Design change for handguns is now being discussed and will be added to those brakes that will be used on pistols.