• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Narrowed the scope choice down for the 10/22

ECHO4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2007
Pgh, PA
It's going to be an entry level scope just so I can get trigger time, while saving my money for a better quality scope. I'll just be hitting the range shooting out to 150-200 max and plinking at camp.

I have narrowed it down the the:

BSA Sweet .22 6-18x40 side paralax
BSA Contender 6-24x40 Illum RGB reticle

Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

Re: Narrowed the scope choice down for the 10/22

I would skip both and get a Sightron SI 3-9 Mil-dot.

I got mine for $120 + shipping.

Look here ---> <span style="font-weight: bold">LINK</span>

Run a 150yd ZERO.
25yd and 50yds is -4 MIL
100yds is -2.3 Mil
150 ZERO
200 +2.6 Mil

And you are DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this optic, it blows any BSA out of the water!!!!

John

Thanks for the link and info. I was also looking for the side paralax (forgot to mention that). Based on your response, looks like I should pass up BSA.

Thanks again.

Hydro. I hear ya on the Nikon, but I can't find one less than $300. BSA is def not as good, but it'll get me some trigger time while saving lettuce for the quality glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would skip both and get a Sightron SI 3-9 Mil-dot.

I got mine for $120 + shipping.

Look here ---> <span style="font-weight: bold">LINK</span>

Run a 150yd ZERO.
25yd and 50yds is -4 MIL
100yds is -2.3 Mil
150 ZERO
200 +2.6 Mil

And you are DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this optic, it blows any BSA out of the water!!!!

John </div></div>

+1 with J. Boyette plus he forgot to mention LIFETIME REPLACEMENT WARRANTY...no questions asked.

I agree on he Sightron, however, I want a side focus.

I had a tasco on there that I loved. However when the rifle went it did also. It can be had for under $100. It was nothing fancy, it was a standard 3X9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ECHO4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree on he Sightron, however, I want a side focus. </div></div>

Sir,

For the price point with a side focus you are asking for a broke scope. You can not have cheap and options.

No matter what cheap optic you want, you will get sub-standard parts. Thats why the optic is the cost of a good set of rings.

Think about it. You want to take a cheap scope, set it and forget it. Do not adjust once its setup.

Why?

Because it will BRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheap cost does not = options. It = Cheap ass rifle scope.

John

At the risk of being ridiculed, I will admit that I currently have a Barska SWAT on one of my 10/22s, and really, so far it hasn't let me down. The glass is pure shit, but the knobs work as advertised, they get cranked on a lot, running up and down between 50 and 200 yards, and they haven't stopped working yet. It's got a mil-dot reticle, but I have no idea if it's really a mil-dot reticle or just looks like one, because I've never used it for that. I think I payed exactly $120 at midway. Just to re-iterate though, the glass is the second worst I've ever experienced, second only to the BSA Sweet .22 I bought out of curiosity and have been unable to give away.

2ajj1t.jpg

Yeah, I realize that's a Savage, but the Savage's got a Super Sniper now, and the Barska's on a 10/22

Mumbles, are you looking to get rid of the Sweet .22?

yeah, I did just offer it to someone here, who was mildly interested at best, if he doesn't want it I can send it your way.

I have a variety of very nice optics to very cheap optics. I actually have the 3-9x40 Sweet 22 on my Ruger 10/22. I like it the best of my rimfire scopes. The optics on mine are very clear, I looked around the neighboorhood at 198yd and 147yd objects (signs, plants, etc) with it and my nicer Leupould and Falcon. A $350-700 optic at 200yds and under did not appear to be any signifcant advantage in practical, maybe the squirel is going to be a hair clearer with one or the other, but easy to identify and shoot with both. I like the knob system on the Sweet22s, so easy to move around to distances without having to count clicks, etc, and you can take the extra knobs that ship with the scope and put your own custom lables on. My scope did break the first range trip out, after rapid firing the reticle started to spin. I sent it back (they sent return label and shipped back at no cost to me), and they sent me a new scope. I removed all accessories as directions said do now I have 5 spare knobs. I installed a Center Point 4-16x40 (Walmart) on a 10/22 the other day for someone else, it appears to be good value. I have had other BSA scopes that are not as clear as the Sweet 22s I have had. Ryan

Thanks for the info Ryan S.

Echo, the guy I offered it to has apparently up and gone to NTC. If I can't get a hold of him, I'll send it to you for the price of shipping. It's a 3-9 I think, no side focus.

Only three range trips with my BSA Sweet 22. The only negative I have so far is the thickness of the reticle. Clicks are spot on. Clarity is fine for a 22 scope. I bought the 6-18-44. I bought this scope to get me by, if nothing breaks, I will not change. When using the target turrets for said ammo, they have been dead on(sighted in at 50 yards., when I went to 100 yards. It cut the center perfectly). If it breaks, I'll probably go Weaver T24.

I hope this helps.

Eddie

Mumbles, I was looking at the 6-18 w/the side focus. Thanks for the heads up though.

Ken

Thanks Eddie. I'm gonna get the same scope. Hell, if it shits the bed, I'm only out $140....

I received my BSA Sweet .22 6-18x40SP came in the mail today that will be mounted on my 10/22T. Ordered it from www.cheaperthandirt.com and it was at my door w/i 3 days w/regular shipping. Although there are more knowledgeable shooters out there the following is my impression on the scope I received:

I was surprised at my first impression of this scope. Being a BSA, I wasn't expecting much. Wow, was I wrong... Out of the box, this scope has a very solid feel to it. The construction rivals my SS and Falcon and for half the price.

The W/E turrets have a VERY positive click for both audible and feel. The side focus is well marked from 10-infinity and as with the power adjustment, felt solid.

In looking through the glass, I was pleasntly pleased. I hear everything from looking through muddy water to broken reticles. The glass was clearer than expected (based on reading opinions). I ran it though the magnification and distances and the glass seemed equally as clear regardless of the setting. I didn't see any "ghost ring" or was it hazy in the least bit.

I haven't mounted it and ran a true test so far, but first impressions are off the chart for what I paid for it (and expected). I know, I know... It's a BSA. Maybe I got lucky, maybe BSA is corrrecting their prior wrongs. All I can say is that so far, I am very please w/this scope. It's going on a 10/22 and for the application (plinking and trigger time) this scope so far, suits my needs and my wallet.

I will now accept any and all bashing for the positive BSA post. Sorry, but it's true...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a Barska SWAT on one of my 10/22s, and really, so far it hasn't let me down. The glass is pure shit...</div></div>
I just mounted a Barska SWAT Tactical 6-24x44 IR on one of my .22s for ultimately using in 50/100 yard shoots, but haven't made it to the range yet. Bore-sighted it at 50 yards (speed limit sign out my living room window), and the glass seems very good to me. Describe your pure shit if you could share that, please.
smile.gif