• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need a good off the shelf varmint shooter!

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Hey guys I need a good off the shelf varmint shooter. I am big into precision rifles but I don't own a good yote gun. We are thinking the mossberg MVP in 223 but my brother wants a 22-250 for distance. I want an economy shooter with good distance. Suggestions?

Hey guys I need a good off the shelf varmint shooter. I am big into precision rifles but I don't own a good yote gun. We are thinking the mossberg MVP in 223 but my brother wants a 22-250 for distance. I want an economy shooter with good distance. Suggestions?

ewe.......

You can do alot better than that. A little Savage, Howa, or even Ruger would probably do fine. And give you better options. I believe some of the Savage options come with an 8 or 9 twist, which would be the way to go if you want range.

I like the idea of the mvp but you can find a much better shooter in the Remington and savage. those are the only 2 I have experience in

I recently bought a Tikka T3 Tactical in 223 for varmints. There are other, less expensive options in the T3 product line, but they all seem to be good shooters. 1 in 8 twist.

That said, mine was less than impressive until I got the round count north of 100. Now it shoots great.

Savage varmint Rifle

I just got a Savage model 10 in 243 and have loaded up a Barnes 55gr BT. Gun shoot about 1/4 MOA at 100 5 shot groups and got a steal of a deal for $500.

if you want a 22-250 for "distance", just be wary of twist before you buy. 22-250's are typically twisted very slow (as in 1-14"), whereas savage and remington both make .223's with a 1-9" twist standard. the 9 twist will stabilize longer bullets, which will serve you better at distance.

and listen to the folks on here saying "no" on the mossberg, there are better options out there. you won't go wrong with the savage, remington, or tikkas mentioned. you just need to decide what balance you want to strike between weight and portability.

I think the 223 offers cost efficiency for plinking though. I'm just going to out vote my brother. So no mossberg MVP. What's wrong with it! Great price good company box mag good stock tactical varmint heritage etc etc. so give me another 500.00 option. Thanks guys!!!

For that price range you can look at the savage axis not the best looking out their for sure but way under 500 or if you don't mind spending a little over 500 theirs is also the Remington 700 adl or the savage trophy hunter with the Nikon option and accutrigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Rem 22-250,& a 243,both are good,I'm loving my 243,I did upgrade the stock though,the 22-250,I just painted it...killed quite a few coyotes with it just out of the box with a Redfield scope.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 18
My Remington 1:9.5 (or so) stabilizes Berger 105s at sea level 60F at 3000fps. Sure I'm approaching the limit but it works. The 243 is great for larger game too of course. Some states won't allow .223 on big game btw.

Why can't you guys commit to a accurized quick shooting non AR bolt gun? I know the expressive 22's and 24's do better but I need a 223 that isn't a sniper rifle that talks! Soo why is the MVP bad?

I am not a fan of Mossberg's and apparently most of the above are not either, however a .223 is a fun round and a little
cheaper to shot.

Why can't you guys commit to a accurized quick shooting non AR bolt gun? I know the expressive 22's and 24's do better but I need a 223 that isn't a sniper rifle that talks! Soo why is the MVP bad?

What is an expressive 22?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a .223, and that has been stated clearly. If you want one, then get it. If you want a Mossberg, then get it. Nobody here cares about a commitment to anything other than their own equipment. If you think the Mossberg is worth your money then go for it, others have found it not worth their time and money so you can listen to them or not.

Don't think their is anything bad with the rifle , I my self being in the process of searching for a new bolt gun The reason I did not look twice at the mossberg is after market parts available . I am very picky about my stocks and triggers, with the Remington 700 or savage trophy hunter you have a variety of parts if you don't like the stock replace it , you can pretty much replace everything on those rifles. like stated above we are not the ones spending any money if you believe this is the rifle for you and you don't care about after market parts then buy it . Everyone has an opinion and everyone likes different things so to all their own .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REmington 700 VLS or VLSS, or savage 12 in 204 ruger. Best of both worlds IMO. 204 is also bitchin' on p-dogs.

My dad has an MVP and really likes it. He has some handloads for it that consistently shoot ~.5" at 100yds. I think they are a 52gr AMAX, not sure of the powder. I had a remington sps tac without any modifications and the MVP outshot it no matter what I fed the 700. Of course if you want to modify the MVP you are looking at basically no off the shelf parts.

My opinion:
MVP is a decent off the shelf option with fairly good accuracy, but if you want a gun to really make your own via modifications etc, the MVP is not it.

Last edited:
I'm a big remington supporter , but as of lately I've been getting and seeing lemons. My .204 is a remington and after dumping more money than I wanted to into it, it's finally reliable. Off the shelf I would buy a Savage, Cooper or Howa (In that order).

Last edited:
My new to me 700 ADL Varmint in 243 just put 5 Berger 105s into .323" at 100. I really don't like Remingtons but I wanted another 243 and I bought this one right. I'll shoot a few deer, hogs and coyotes and a prairie dog or 2 until I get bored with it.

think of the type of hunting you are actually going to do and that'll pick your rifle for you.

many in and out sets on coyotes? usual sets are big walks in and out? probably a lighter weight sporter profile rifle will be better to hump in and out.

lounging a round on a set or 2 a day waiting for something to show up? you can get away with a heavier barreled / stocked rifle, but it's still a pain in the ass to hump around.

brushy, wooded areas or open spots mostly hunted? a combo of both? a 20" inch or shorter is very handy.

for an off the shelf budget rifle(s) my vote is tied vote with howa SA, 20" already set up with scope, a hogue stock, 1 piece base, 2 stage trigger although a heavy barrel, it is somewhat balanced well Legacy Sports - Hogue Targetmaster Package it's over your 500.00, but it comes with everything you need / want except for ammo. could even bolt on an affordable DBM from howa (though having stuff hangin off your yote rifle tend to hinder
rather than help)

tied for the top a stevens 200 for around 350.00 Savage Arms cut the barrel back to 20 or less. no guilt if you beat it up alittle, and accurate as hell. lightweight too.

if you can wait till black friday, dick's should be doing the rem 700 varmint again for around 400.00. heavy and unbalanced, but accurate get it cut to 20" or less.

.243 for yotes, groundhogs and such, and is beefy enough for deer and those hogs you got down there in 'Bama.

or even 25-06 mdl 11 Savage Arms

.308 is another overlooked choice, 110 gr vmaxes and the ability to load subsonics heavy bullet easily.

also dicks has a savage 11 vt that is tacticoolish for 500.00 or under, heavy barreled and heavy rifle in general, get her cut to 20" or less too.

out of all of them, for real world hunting, a short & light rifle pays off better in the long run. any of the above will talk by the amount of fur, venison, and pork they'll put on the ground.

CZ 527 varminter kevlar stock 223. mine shoots low .1s and functions great! got 2600rnds through it. great rifle.

Tons of options, all of which will work fine. Budget? Tikka in .223 or .243 in my opinion, can't go wrong. However, Savage, Rem, Mossberg, etc, will work just fine. Accuracy has more to do with you and trigger time/practice than the very minor differences in any of the great rifles available to you. I have yet to be in a situation where the 22-250 would have made any difference at all w/coyotes. Now, with prairie dogs....it would be fun to try to reach out farther with the 22-250 but I just lob in the .223s and still have a good time.

The main issue is: get one and get outside and shoot the crap out of it!