• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need advice from auto mechanics please

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. For the second time in a year and a half my front driver's side wheel hub assembly has taken a shit. My Son was driving it home from school and called to tell us it was FUBAR so I went out, tried to drive it home and made it 200 yards. I had to have it towed home because the wheel was lying over, the tire was rubbing the upper A arm and it was shitting the large needle bearings out on the ground.

Last time it went bad I took it to a NAPA "certified" auto center and got my ass screwed off. Got charged $150 over retail for the part plus another $400 in labor. The labor I don't mind, the part burned my ass. I won't be taking it there again. Last time I needed it fixed quickly, I have some time now.

My question is whether this is something I might be able to tackle myself in the driveway? I have an average assortment of tools (including torque wrenches) but not a lot in the way of knowledge and experience. I'm not afraid to jump in if it is something I can figure out but I don't want to tear it apart only to find out that it requires a special $4000 tool and two weeks of training on how to operate it.

I know it's kind of a specific question but I was hoping there may be someone here who's done this before.

TIA

Re: Need advice from auto mechanics please

the only thing out of the ordinary you will need is a bearing puller. you can rent them for autozone

I'm retired from the auto service business, unfortunately the last time I turned any wrenched as a pro was in 97. From then on out, I worked on the manufacturing and troubleshooting end of the business for a parts supplier.

I can tell You this, The hubs on most newer light duty 4X4 trucks are unit type bearings, and the good ones range in price from well over 100 bucks wholesale to a couple of hundred.

Go to rockauto.com, and look at their prices. Buy Timken bearings or better quality, which is probably the problem with the NAPA part. There should be an exploded diagram of the bearing on that site as well, and they have a tech line.

If I find anything else out that is useful, I let ya know.

Mac

Looks like the hub assembly bolts in place just like my Jeep. Easy to change, but You could need a puller if it is rusted in place. 3 bolts hold it in and the axle nut. But the 140 dollar price is about the going rate for a hub assembly. It would be worthwhile to check the warranty on that old part.

Mac

Yep should be an easy change. The bolts that hold the hub in place are probably a 12 point so you need 12 point sockets. Need a big socket for the axle. Other then that basic tools. Nice if you have an impact and air.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'll be giving it a shot myself this time around.

Those hub bearing/assemblies aren't to bad to change with the right tools. The downside is they are a bit pricey and even more so when they contain the ABS wire. On your Dodge you'll need at the minimum a BIG socket to get the axle nut off (I can't remember the exact size at the moment.) Something around a 38mm. A breaker bar, socket set that has 12 point sockets, screwdrivers, ratchets etc all in 1/2 inch drive preferably. A floor jack and set of jackstands would be great as well. The 3 bolts holding that hub in only take a 12 point and it's 14 or 15mm I believe. If your doing this on the ground in your driveway break the axle nut loose first before jacking the truck up. They can be a bitch without heat and sometimes won't come off without it. I had one not come off after being red hot without galling the threads and it happened to be a Dodge Ram. Spray it up good and let it soak beforehand if possible. Next, take the the caliper off. You can just take the 2 bolts out of the bracket where it attaches to the steering knuckle instead of separating the caliber and bracket. You may have to push the caliper piston in a bit to get the caliper off the rotor. A big screwdriver works good for this. Just pry it back. Don't let caliper hang freely by the brake hose, use a rubber tie down and hang it up out of your way. I usually hang it from the coil spring or upper control arm. Now, take the rotor off and note its condition as rotors get fubar sometimes when run with a bad bearing because they are not turning true. Next, take the bolts out of the back of the hub holding the bearing in, and disconnect ABS wire at plug if there is one. Getting the bearing to come free can be a pain, they get STUCK as in rusted to the steering knuckle. Though if yours was replaced not long ago it may come out easier. A BIG hammer and beating should get it out. Take care not to hit the threads on the end of the axle by mistake should your aim get a little off. I usually leave the nut wound flush with the end of the axle to prevent this. Good luck and hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

You will not need a puller as it comes off as an assembly. As long as you have tools, you should have no problem following the instructions and getting it done.

I'm about 2 1/2 hours from you and if you need any help, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. I've never worked on your style Ram before but I'm sure that I could fix it if I was there. You shouldn't really have any problems.

The membership comes through again, looks like I'll be getting my hands dirty this weekend (which I enjoy).

Many thanks

Get a bottle of WD40 or whatever you prefer(I used CLP last time). And Also get a rubber mallot to help pursuede parts to come loose.

Grab a Haynes manual for your truck (I have one for every car I've ever owned except my new one, which is still under warranty). They aren't always 100% exactly right on every single little detail, due to occasional differences in production, but they've saved me well into thousands of dollars in labor.

Get the book, read the instructions, pay attention to the pictures, read the instructions, rent any specialty tool you need (like a bearing puller) from Autozone, read the instructions, pay attention to the pictures, read the instructions, and have fun.

My greasy books have been with me through everything from drum brakes, blower motors, wheel hubs, ball joints, fluid changes (transmission, differential, oil...), spark plugs, carburetors, valve cover and manifold intake gaskets... to everything in between. Well worth the $12-20 investment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grab a Haynes manual for your truck (I have one for every car I've ever owned except my new one, which is still under warranty). They aren't always 100% exactly right on every single little detail, due to occasional differences in production, but they've saved me well into thousands of dollars in labor.

Get the book, read the instructions, pay attention to the pictures, read the instructions, rent any specialty tool you need (like a bearing puller) from Autozone, read the instructions, pay attention to the pictures, read the instructions, and have fun.

My greasy books have been with me through everything from drum brakes, blower motors, wheel hubs, ball joints, fluid changes (transmission, differential, oil...), spark plugs, carburetors, valve cover and manifold intake gaskets... to everything in between. Well worth the $12-20 investment. </div></div>

So true. Plenty of stuff that is too much to handle. Knocking down the relatively easy stuff becomes essential if you want to keep any of your money! rental tools and manuals have saved me lots of cash. Appliances respond to do it yourself manuals too!

Good luck Phylodog!

The information on vehicle specific forums is invaluable. Spend a few hours becoming a memeber on a ram forum if needed to use the search function. Read up. From experience if you have had a problem someone else has had it too and it is a common problem and usually a common fix. The internet is the most powerful and valuable tool in your toolbox.

just remember that if you disconnect the the knuckle from the rest of the suspension you should have your alignment checked afterward. the rest is easy do it yourself type stuff. oh and the axle nut should be 34mm not 38 as was stated above.

No real reason to worry about alignment unless you actually adjust something. A wheel bearing should only require removal of the brake caliper, rotor, axle nut, and the bolts retaining the wheel bearing, and perhaps the wires if it has ABS.

cant say for a dodge but on a ford f-150

nothing to it

seal bearing

remove wheel
remove caliper and rotor
remove axle nut

disconnect abs plug
remove 3 bolts that retain hub assy
remove hub

spendy for sure cheapest i found was 160 $$$

Some good info above. You will be covered I am sure of that. Get it done. Labor is what sucks, part is nothing. A good shop runs 70% book time, so you pay 30% over needed time. BUT, that is why monkeys spend there money on tools and time! Been there done that! Thank you GM!

Yup. Changing out the wheel bearing assembly isn't a big deal. A good set of hand tool, jack, and stands should take care of you.

I'm concerned about the wheel bearing going out for the second time in 18 months. While you're rolling around in the front suspension, take a look at everything else...upper/lower ball joint, steering, a-arm mounts...make sure everything is tight.

Well I thought I had a hookup on a new hub from the dealership for a good price but they're apparently backordered. Supposedly the dealership has 900 of them on backorder so I guess that would suggest this isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Going to have to go aftermarket now, does anyone know which manufacturer I should look for? The NAPA hub didn't last two years so they won't be seeing any more of my money.

The aftermarket hub bearings are going to be superior in every way to whatever the dealer has. Timken is an American company and makes quality parts. Federal-Mogul's brand is good, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The aftermarket hub bearings are going to be superior in every way to whatever the dealer has. Timken is an American company and makes quality parts. Federal-Mogul's brand is good, too. </div></div>

Such good advice, that it is worth repeating for the slow readers.

Thanks guys. Stupid question time, I'm trying to determine which hub assy I need to buy. I'm looking at the window sticker and it says: <span style="font-weight: bold">Brakes - 4 Wheel Disk, Rr Anti-Lock</span>. The options for Timken hubs are:

4WD; 2-Wheel ABS; Front
-or-
4WD; 4-Wheel ABS; 5 Stud.; Front

Does anyone know what Rr Anti-Lock brakes means?

It looks like You just have anti-locks on the rear. That would mean You get the hub without the anti-lock wire.

Grab both the Hayne's Manual AND the Clymer manual to insure they match on all instructions. Some do, some don't. I have been doing a 'bit of work' on my Harley with a Clymer and HD Factory manual and both seem to have different places where either one has more data and the other is a little light

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Stupid question time, I'm trying to determine which hub assy I need to buy. I'm looking at the window sticker and it says: <span style="font-weight: bold">Brakes - 4 Wheel Disk, Rr Anti-Lock</span>. The options for Timken hubs are:

4WD; 2-Wheel ABS; Front
-or-
4WD; 4-Wheel ABS; 5 Stud.; Front

Does anyone know what Rr Anti-Lock brakes means? </div></div>

Rr anti-locks = rear anti lock brakes or 4 wheel anti-locks.

If your truck has anti-lock brakes on all four wheels, you have 4-wheel ABS.

If it doesn't, you don't.

If you're not sure, look for the wheel sensor near the front hub.

My Ram doesn't have front anti-locks. I didn't want them. I hate anti-lock brakes.

Spent about five hours under the truck this afternoon and finally got it all done. The hub assembly was in two pieces and I was beginning to think I wouldn't get the flange out but finally did by threading the flange bolts back in and beating on them to pop it out. I then proceeded to install the new hub with the dust cover on backward so I had to do it all a second time.

Learned a few things while I was under there and I'm glad I did it myself. Saved me around $600 and I get to bask in the glory of being a hero around the house for an evening.

Thanks again for all of the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Haha, backward dust cover. If you ever have to do it again (and I hope you don't), don't put the other one on backward too like I did.
laugh.gif

Sorta liberating, isn't it?

It is. I hate paying someone else to do something that I'm capable of. I had to buy a $50 metric axle nut socket set but that beats paying $600 for someone else's time.