• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Need help aging these Bucks (pics)

bribri

Always Smooth
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Nebraska
    Our hunting ground is 600 acres of rolling hills with hard wood draws, creek bottoms, cedar trees, and surrounding row crop and alfalfa fields located in northeast Nebraska. We just took possession of the land last Febrary, and we are new to deer management. These are the biggest 5 bucks that we have pictures of, and I want your opinion if we should put any of these guys on our hit list for this Fall or let them live.

Buck #1 aka (Jimmy)

The buck on the right.
    el7eoi.jpg

20giao3.jpg

Buck #2 aka (UpRight)

2cyqjwm.jpg

2j0mw3n.jpg

Buck #3 aka (BlackJack)

206m1l2.jpg

29ehr0g.jpg

Buck #4 aka (Stickers)

2mooxkw.jpg

289htno.jpg

Buck #5 aka (Stupid)
    2e6huyr.jpg

15p6h5x.jpg

Bribri I am far from an expert at this but it looks like most of these deer are 2.5 to 4.5 years old. I think "Jimmy" has a good size rack but is still young judging from the length of his nose and body. I would give him one or possibly two more years. Upright and Blackjack look like they are probably the oldest of the bunch to me. I personally would hunt these two but depending on what you are looking for... They may be monsters next year that is all I am saying!

Nebraska has great genetics!

I will be headed to Antelope county in early November for a week of bowhunting myself. Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way... has there been any more reported EHD up that way this year???

The property we are on lost about 1/2 its deer herd last year. Needless to say, last years trip was a bust other than the dozen or so we found dead.....

Thanks

I would say jimmy, upright And stupid are about 4-4.5. Stickers and blackjack look around 2.5-3thie two I would hate to but I would let them walk.

By the way... has there been any more reported EHD up that way this year???

The property we are on lost about 1/2 its deer herd last year. Needless to say, last years trip was a bust other than the dozen or so we found dead.....

Thanks

No EHD this year that I've seen or heard of. You wouldn't beleive how many dead deer we found on our property including a 10 point that grossed 155".

All look to be 2.5-3.5 year old deer. Let them walk. You have good genetics and potential. You have bigger/more mature bucks on your ground. You just haven't seen them yet. Look at how long their legs look. No sagging bellies but somewhat of a sway back in 1-2 pics. If you are going to manage the herd a shooter is a no brainer. If you have to study the buck and aren't sure, put your rifle down and use your binos. When you see a real shooter, you know it immediately without studying anything. The hard part is making your buddies pass on them as well. I have passed nice bucks to have others come in and shoot them. You try to be happy for them but you can't grow trophy bucks if all of the nice 3.5 year old bucks are getting shot. However, everyone's management plan is different.

2.5 to3.5 years old a couple with some potential with a couple more years under there belt

Hard call, dependant on nutrition however, I concur with others on being 2.5-3-5 years. tooth growth is only sure way. I've seen 18 month old, fully developed 8 pointers, but rare and only possible with great genes and super nutrition.

Thanks for the info on the EHD. I hate to hear you lost a good 10pt like that. We didn't find any big bucks just a couple of small ones and does. Hopefully the population has rebounded a bit. Last years trip was thin.... we only saw one shooter in a weeks worth of hunting.

You have good genetics on your place for sure and I know how big the deer can get up there. It should only take you a year or two of good management to have some really nice deer (if your neighbors will cooperate!)

good luck