• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help chosing a scope

StrmRidr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
NB, Canada
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone first post here so don't be too hard on me
grin.gif
I need to get a scope for a R700 SPS Tactical in .308. I want to keep it below 500$. Here are 4 scopes I am considering:

Millett TRS-1 4-16x50mm (~390$ CDN)
Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40mm Tactical (~420$ CDN)
Sightron SII 4-16x42mm MD (~470$ CDN)
WOTAC 4-14x50mm (329$ US)

So out of these 4, which one would you recommend based on quality and features? The furthest I will shoot is probably 600-700 yards unless I can find some place where I can shoot further. And if you have any other suggestion please let me know.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Need help chosing a scope

Of the 4, I have only owned the Sightron SII that you speak of. It has been a good scope and the glass is as good as Leupold (in my opinion). I've also done the box test with it and found it to track well.

Get a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 mil dot in the 44mm or 50mm objective and never look back! You won't regret it. I think the 50mm is like $509 and I think the 44mm may be just a little cheaper. Great scope, great company!

I bought the Bushnell a while back. It's been a good scope so far. The glass is good, the turrets track repeatably, and it holds a zero. The only feature I wish it has is a side focus knob. But I knew that was lacking when I bought it, so I can't complain too much.

HRF

I checked out the Falcon and it seems like a really nice scope. So you guys would recommend the Falcon over the 4 other ones I mentioned? I kinda dig the FFP. Any other suggestion or the Falcon is the best bet under 500$?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrmRidr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I checked out the Falcon and it seems like a really nice scope. So you guys would recommend the Falcon over the 4 other ones I mentioned? I kinda dig the FFP. Any other suggestion or the Falcon is the best bet under 500$? </div></div>

I had a few Falcons - down to one now thats on a 22 Trainer. For under $500 it has a LOT of features and the FFP is a bonus for sure. The eye relief was very picky and that annoyed me a great deal. When performing the box test the upper %25 of elevation adjustment fell off and was short... IE .5 mils of adjustment was really about .4 I have read a lot of positive things about the WoTAC but can't comment first hand. It is only available in MOA though. Im not saying the Falcon is a bad optic. For under $500 it offers a LOT ... but has its shortcomings. If thats the route you go get a 20 MOA base for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrmRidr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I see. And I was looking at the Millett 20MOA picatinny rail is this a good base or should I look at something else? </div></div>

I have no experience with Millet bases - Have used EGW and they have been fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway has the Bushnell Elite 3200 MIL/MIL 10x40 for $199 </div></div>

The thing is I'm in Canada and I don't want a fixed magnification because I will also be hunting with this gun. 10x is a bit too much in the eastern woods. I'm pretty much set on the Falcon Menace with the 0.1 Mil clicks. Thanks again everyone.