• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need help finding a good fixed power scope.

crocodile427

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
Houston, Texas
Im still kinda new here. Dont post much, use the site for info mainly. I need some help finding a good scope. I have tried a few, Leupold, SWFA, Burris. The SWFA was my favorite. I had the MRAD 10x Super Sniper. Loved the scope, only one problem. Many may say Im being dumb on this, but I say, its my gun, my money, my choice. I would certainly get another SWFA if they were American dangit.

I chose to get rid of the SWFA because it was Japanese. Nothing against them, they make good stuff, I just dont want anything non American on my gun. The scope was good, was exactly what I was looking for, except it was foreign. I loved the MRAD reticle, the 10x magnification, had the model with the side focus which is what I want again.

Ok, so I have checked out Optics planet, and SWFA.com, neither of them have a good search interface and I cant browse by fixed power.

Im looking to spend under a grand. Must be fixed power, side focus, between 6x and 10x, with 8x being my main choice but I have not found one yet. I only say 8x, because of the vari-power scopes I have used, I mainly left it on 8x.

This is the scope I want, but American made.

Any ideas on who to look into? I have spent the past 3 months searching, and frankly, Im just not good with google...

Thanks for any help.

Re: Need help finding a good fixed power scope.

you're not going to find what you want...

SWFA is an American company, that uses Japanese manufacturers to make their scopes... that's actually what MOST good, inexpensive ( under $1000) scopes are... and even a LOT of the high end scopes use foreign lenses...

USO ST-10 is probably the closest to what you're looking for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Croc O'Dile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose to get rid of the SWFA because it was Japanese. Nothing against them, they make good stuff, I just dont want anything non American on my gun. The scope was good, was exactly what I was looking for, except it was foreign. I loved the MRAD reticle, the 10x magnification, had the model with the side focus which is what I want again.

Ok, so I have checked out Optics planet, and SWFA.com, neither of them have a good search interface and I cant browse by fixed power.

Im looking to spend under a grand. Must be fixed power, side focus, between 6x and 10x, with 8x being my main choice but I have not found one yet. I only say 8x, because of the vari-power scopes I have used, I mainly left it on 8x.

This is the scope I want, but American made.

Any ideas on who to look into? I have spent the past 3 months searching, and frankly, Im just not good with google...

Thanks for any help. </div></div>

Yeah, uh, we don't really make anything here any more, except for stupendously expensive aircraft, good but pricey farm and construction equipment, and some mediocre cars.

Under $1k Leupold is probably your only bet for a US-assembled fixed power scope, and from what I've read they use glass made in Japan (or possibly China for lower end models). I've also noticed that a lot of their other scope components look identical to components on Japanese-made Weaver scopes, but maybe that's coincidence. Maybe.

Best bet is to take a time machine, go back to about 1990, and prevent politicians from putting the US into the NAFTA and WTO clubs.

You may be able to find something older and used meeting your criteria. Or you could spend $400 on a Japanese-made SS meeting your requirements, and spend the other $600 on something American made, or a donation to someone who claims they will do something about "free" trade.

I like the time machine idea. I think thats what Im gonna do. All I need is a flux capacitor......

Damn America. The cars are mostly foreign now to, Ford gets theirs from Mexico, GM from Korea and China, its sad. America doesnt stand for anything anymore except taxes and welfare.

I was afraid this is what its going to be. I liked the SWFA, had no complaints about performance whatsoever. Great scope, great price. I have been told by many that I will just need to spend as much on my scope as I did on my rifle. No one is making fixed power much anymore, except the lower quality brands.

I have always been wary of used optics. You never know what that scope has been through, and its hard to trust people these days. Ill keep my eyes open, and stuffing money into my piggy scope bank.Thanks for the info guys.