• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need loading info for 6.5 creedmoor

reddog

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
KY
Just got myself a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would appreciate some load recommendations. I've been reloading for many years so I understand to reduce suggested loads by 10%. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need loading info for 6.5 creedmoor

Factory 140 amax loads were 41.9. Now they are 41.5 gr of H4350.

Hope this helps. Hornady puts the load info on the box.

Right. The Hornady factory loads I bought w/ the rifle listed h4350 @ 41.6 gr. I would like to come up with some loads for Varget, RL15, RL17 and different bullet wts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: racesnake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The Hornady factory loads I bought w/ the rifle listed h4350 @ 41.6 gr. I would like to come up with some loads for Varget, RL15, RL17 and different bullet wts. </div></div>

Why?

I have those particular powders on hand - I use them in other calibers.

I would stick with the H4350. I tried a couple different powders and they performed in the .5MOA range but the Hornady Match ammo with the H4350 shot back to back groups at .3 and .32MOA. This is the ticket for the Creedmoor IMO. I would just start working up loads from 41.5 gr.

For competition/accuracy, I stick with H4350, but for hunting, I have been using RE17 cause I can get some nice velocity and still maintain some good accuracy when I am not trying to shoot 20 rounds at a time. A reasonable charge of Re17 and a Berger 140vld gets going at 2930fps and out of our 28" Lilja bbld hunting rigs (FNSPR actions, Hogue stocks)we are getting 3 shots into 1/2 MOA out to 300 (only distance I tested it, called it good, and now will start slaying critters with it).

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there a specific bullet? </div></div>
140 A-Max

What about the 120 AMax and the 107SMK?

Hornady sent me a copy of all their load data in a PDF format.. If you would like a copy PM me with your e-mail address and I will forward you the information... It's a handwritten copy, but on their paper work.. First work ups they came up with... Think it has all the powders you had in question on it...

Hey Snake,
Since it looks like you're fairly new to the site, did you check the following thread? http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=348731#Post348731

There are a number of 6.5 CM loads that Hiders have posted. I shoot a .260 with 142 gr. SMKs/139 gr. Scenars and the similarities of loads between .260 and CM are pretty apparent in those posts. FWIW: this season I was using Rel17 with OK success but would be all over the place as the day warmed up. I'm currently working up loads using H4350 and H4831sg to see if I can get more consistency.

REL17 should work well with the 140 range bullets. I would save the REL15 and Varget for lighter bullets.

Thanks guys, for all the help. When I get some decent loads worked up I'll post 'em.
D-

MATCH LOADS

130Berger
43.0 H4350
Hornady brass
CCI BR-2 large rifle match primer
2.80 OAL
single shot for AR-10
*Most accurate load tested*

139 Sernar
42.0 H4350
Hornady brass
CCI BR-2 large rifle match Primer
2.80 OAL
single shot for AR-10

For hunting I had great luck with both the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 120 A-Max backed with 45.0grns of H4350, Hornady case and CCI BR-2 Primers @ 2.80 OAL. They cycled perfectly in the AR and still shot sub MOA 3 shot groups @ 200yrds.

I shot all these loads in a DPMS LR series AR-10 type platform.
24", SS, 1:7.5 twist barrel

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there a specific bullet? </div></div>
140 A-Max </div></div>

I think Chiller was asking if there was a specific bullet the OP had in mind.

I do 41.5 4350 with 140 Amax's to mimic the factory load, since I haven't had time to work anything else up (20" POF semi).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moore_ man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
139 Sernar
42.0 H4350
Hornady brass
CCI BR-2 large rifle match Primer
2.80 OAL
single shot for AR-10

</div></div>

Why single shot Mike, 2.80 is fine in a mag?

Thanks, again, for all the responses. I have some stuff loaded and am headed to the range today. Will report back tonight wit results.
D-

Any luck with varget and 140 grain bullets (28" barrel)? Any problems?

I know it's not preferred. I have 8 lbs of it and would like to use it in the creedmoor.
Thanks-

Back from the range. I tested the following:
120gr. Hornady AMax
Reloder15 - ladder tested from 38.0 to 41.0 in 0.5gr. increments.
Wolf lg. primers
OAL 2.75"

Results:Two loads shot well.
39.5gr. 0.349" group
40.0gr. 0.271" group
Didn't chrono. My chrono is on the fritz. Should be around 2900fps, however.
All-in-all a productive day at the range.

Testing was in a DPMS LR10 gas gun w/ 24" bl..

120 Amax's shoot well in my POF Creedmoor, but the BC only as the good as 168gr .308SMK's-Scenars or 140 Amax's will get you better wind cheating.

That's some nice 5 shot group sizes for any gun, let alone a gasgun....

Whoops! Forgot to specify. These are 3 shot groups. Will go back and verify with 5 shot groups next time.
The 140 factory loads didn't shoot so hot for me. Approx. 3/4". So, I'm trying other wt. bullets.
D-

went back to the range yesterday to confirm my two test loads that showed promise. I shot two 5 shot groups with each load. Average group measurements are listed below:

39.5gr RL-15/120gr AMax ~ 0.408"

40.0gr RL-15/120gr AMax ~ 0.359"

The range I use only has a 100yd. Will have to wait until I shoot in a Tac match to see if they will work @ longer range.
D-

Hey Snake,

When you say "should be around 2900 fps" what are you basing that on?
I see significant variations from published load data as there are so many variables. And, I'm always cautious when looking at loads posted on our excellent depot. Granted, I shoot at high altitude so I'm always 'more interested' when I see someone from similar DensAlt locales as me.
That said: your groups are definitely where they should be!

Just curious.

Hey k2peaker..."enios" sent me a copy of some loads that Hornady sent him. The 39.5 RL15/120 AMax load was in this info and they got 2900fps out of a 24" test bl. I am going to the range this wknd and get some chrono readings. Will post info when I get it.
D-

The 130 Berger bullets and 139 Lapua's just wouldn't cycle from the mag all the time (reliably) even if I stuffed them in the case below 2.80. I figured it was the bullet shape that was the issue but that was just me. The 130 Berger has the O-give further back on the bullet and its longer than the 120 Nosler and A-Max. When the the round was pushed forward by the bolt , it woult shoot strait up upon hitting the feed ramp causing a jam. I never had an issue with the Nosler or the A-Max 120 grainers. They worked great w/ a single shot follower.