• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some suggestions/recommendations for Range Finder, Applied Ballistics meter/calculator and/or scope?

thexman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
Looking for a sighting, scope and AB solution for my rifle.
Not sure if something like Sig's SIERRA 3 6.5-20x52mm - KILO 2400 BDX package with smartphone and Kestrel 5700 would be something to start with or getting a Sig KILO 2400ABS and a decent scope like B&D or Kahles would be a better solution (in long term)

Or any options are welcome.

Thank you.

Looking for a sighting, scope and AB solution for my rifle.
Not sure if something like Sig's SIERRA 3 6.5-20x52mm - KILO 2400 BDX package with smartphone and Kestrel 5700 would be something to start with or getting a Sig KILO 2400ABS and a decent scope like B&D or Kahles would be a better solution (in long term)

Or any options are welcome.

Thank you.
What are you shooting? Current experience? What range do you see as your maximum using "your rifle" and this (unknown as yet) combination?

What are you shooting? Current experience? What range do you see as your maximum using "your rifle" and this (unknown as yet) combination?
Target shooting only.
New shooter on long range.
Currently, I have only been shooting up to 300yards in a 500 yards range. Next month would be able to use the 1000yards range. If I need even longer distance, may need to go inside mountains or rare places, so may wait until I am more sophisticated.

For 1000 yds +, sig 2400 bdx and Kestrel 5700 Elite and scope of your choice in FFP, if you don't go high end ( B&D or Kahles $$$$$), Vortex and Athlon have good products and lifetime warranties, so you can buy used here. That combination will support you to 1500 yds with a good caliber like 6.5 cm. Sig 2400 ABS is good, but doesn't have the sensors to capture full environment, which you will need at 1000+.

For 1000 yds +, sig 2400 bdx and Kestrel 5700 Elite and scope of your choice in FFP, if you don't go high end ( B&D or Kahles $$$$$), Vortex and Athlon have good products and lifetime warranties, so you can buy used here. That combination will support you to 1500 yds with a good caliber like 6.5 cm. Sig 2400 ABS is good, but doesn't have the sensors to capture full environment, which you will need at 1000+.
Thank you.

What sensors do I need for 1000+ distance from the meters?Wind and humanity only or anything else?

And say 2000 yards, anything else do I need from the Kilo 2400BDX with kestrol 5700? Just a high end scope?

Need caliber/load info; if your rifle is a 6.5x55 it will shoot differently than if it were a 416/50 Warner...

Need caliber/load info; if your rifle is a 6.5x55 it will shoot differently than if it were a 416/50 Warner...
Only .308 for 1000yard and less and 6.5creedmoor for any.

Just factory load from Hornady ELD match or federal premium golden match ones.

I have the gunwerks rangefinder/ ballistic calculator. It has been seriously awesome.

Is there any potential that you’ll want to use this rig hunting? Many western states don’t allow for optics with electronics or communication with a rangefinder. It varies from state to state, but that is something to consider.

Is there any potential that you’ll want to use this rig hunting? Many western states don’t allow for optics with electronics or communication with a rangefinder. It varies from state to state, but that is something to consider.
Don't think so. I would be focus on target shooting only. If hunting I may need to get a different set of gears for light weight.

Thinking Sig 2400 ABS on Amazon for about $1000 is a good deal to get an all in one solution. But not sure about upgradability for the rangefinder part in the future. Cause I buy separately, I can upgrade to something new every few years. But people also mentioned that the tech hasn't really changed much, so not much improvement for the new model.

Don't think so. I would be focus on target shooting only. If hunting I may need to get a different set of gears for light weight.

Thinking Sig 2400 ABS on Amazon for about $1000 is a good deal to get an all in one solution. But not sure about upgradability for the rangefinder part in the future. Cause I buy separately, I can upgrade to something new every few years. But people also mentioned that the tech hasn't really changed much, so not much improvement for the new model.

Gotcha. In that case, one of SIGs BDX models might not be a bad route to go.

I use a SIG 2400 ABS on my personal gun and to guide with and absolutely love it. It has been dead nuts and is great for getting quick dope in a hurry.

I’ve heard rumors that Leica is coming out with a comparable product with AB loaded in it, but in the $700 range.

Gotcha. In that case, one of SIGs BDX models might not be a bad route to go.

I use a SIG 2400 ABS on my personal gun and to guide with and absolutely love it. It has been dead nuts and is great for getting quick dope in a hurry.

I’ve heard rumors that Leica is coming out with a comparable product with AB loaded in it, but in the $700 range.

Leica released the 2800.com a few months ago, and it’s AB compatible with Bluetooth. It’s $1100 street price, but quite a nice set up.

Leica released the 2800.com a few months ago, and it’s AB compatible with Bluetooth. It’s $1100 street price, but quite a nice set up.
Interesting. Not quite an apples to apples comparison, though. From what I understand with the Leica 2800.COM, you need to pair it with a Kestrel Elite to run the AB engine, otherwise it’s using Leicas ABC calculator. With the SIG 2400 ABS, it’s running AB within the unit itself. Still, it sounds like another great option.

Is there any potential that you’ll want to use this rig hunting? Many western states don’t allow for optics with electronics or communication with a rangefinder.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but do you have any more information on this? I just spent fair amount of time reviewing Arizona Game and Fish regs for 2019 and do not see anything like that mentioned so no issue here from what I see. I will follow up with them tomorrow. Was more interested in Kansas, Wyoming, and South Dakota if you know of regs like that?

Interesting. Not quite an apples to apples comparison, though. From what I understand with the Leica 2800.COM, you need to pair it with a Kestrel Elite to run the AB engine, otherwise it’s using Leicas ABC calculator. With the SIG 2400 ABS, it’s running AB within the unit itself. Still, it sounds like another great option.
Yeah, the 2800.com is the latest, but not with the full AB feature. 2400 ABS does, but it's about 3 years old?

Some one gave a really good explanation:

Reactions: nathan.s.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but do you have any more information on this? I just spent fair amount of time reviewing Arizona Game and Fish regs for 2019 and do not see anything like that mentioned so no issue here from what I see. I will follow up with them tomorrow. Was more interested in Kansas, Wyoming, and South Dakota if you know of regs like that?

Its going to vary by state, and further how the state lays out the regulation. Here are a couple of examples:

Oregon:
(Illegal to hunt game mammals with) "Infrared, night vision, laser or any other sight that projects a beam to the target, including scopes with electronic rangefinders and scopes that receive information from any electronic device."

Idaho:
"Fish and Game rules prohibit the use a firearm "with any electronic device attached to, or incorporated on, the firearm or scope; except scopes containing battery powered or tritium lighted reticles are allowed." Therefore, laser rangefinding rifle scopes attached to a rifle would be illegal to use for big game hunting. A hand-held laser rangefinder is legal to use during big game hunting."

Kansas looks ok, at a glance. Although I would call and ask them specifically:
"Range-finding devices and optical scopes or sights that project no visible light toward the target and do not electronically amplify visible or infrared light may be used."

General take away is that you need to look at each state and read up on their regulations. But for the OP, I wanted to point out that hunting regulations were something to consider when looking into electronic optics.

Reactions: Faronth
Sonic,

I have a review up on the BDX scope on this forum, or perhaps the scope forum, can't remember exactly. It's a good system designed for speed at mid slightly long ranges, depending on what you are shooting. But if you are looking to go to 1k with the 308 or farther with the Creed, you will likely run out of holdover space on the vertical. IIRC, shooting my son's 270 win with a 145 ELDX, we got to like 1k or maybe 1100 before we started having to back off the mag to increase subtension values. That was with the 4.5-14, suspect it would be worse with the 6.5-20.

Again, while I like the scope/RF combo for what it does (fantastic for most hunters for example), I don't think the scope is what you will want for shooting way out there.

Sonic,

I have a review up on the BDX scope on this forum, or perhaps the scope forum, can't remember exactly. It's a good system designed for speed at mid slightly long ranges, depending on what you are shooting. But if you are looking to go to 1k with the 308 or farther with the Creed, you will likely run out of holdover space on the vertical. IIRC, shooting my son's 270 win with a 145 ELDX, we got to like 1k or maybe 1100 before we started having to back off the mag to increase subtension values. That was with the 4.5-14, suspect it would be worse with the 6.5-20.

Again, while I like the scope/RF combo for what it does (fantastic for most hunters for example), I don't think the scope is what you will want for shooting way out there.
Yeah, thanks a lot.

I did refer to your post earlier. Really great review and comments.

The reason I was thinking about 2400 BDX because I thought it might be more flexible in the future with new rangefinder and/or AB meter. But I do know the Sig scope is not a ultimate option for long range over 1k.

I think I might go with either the Sig 2400 ABS or Leica 2800.com with Kestrel on a decent scope like Kahles, S&B, night force etc.

Thank you for your explanation.

Its going to vary by state, and further how the state lays out the regulation. Here are a couple of examples:

General take away is that you need to look at each state and read up on their regulations. But for the OP, I wanted to point out that hunting regulations were something to consider when looking into electronic optics.

Thank you very much nathan.s. I would never even have thought to look for something like that in regs but for your comment. Arizona has the rules on anything lighting up the target ect.. also but nothing on linked electronic devices. Then again you can hunt with a 30 round magazine here. Its pretty much open on a lot of regs other states would not like being a good 2A state. And no, I don't hunt with 30 rounds mags, but I do stuff a few 20 rd mags in my back pack when hunting in certain areas...