• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New 5-25x50 Vudu

Any word on how much internal elevation it has?
There is very little information on their website.

Wow... I guess so? I just checked their site a few days ago and they were $1999. It may be a Memorial day sale or something......

At that price, it is REALLY tempting! Sure wish I knew a delivery date

Wow... I guess so? I just checked their site a few days ago and they were $1999. It may be a Memorial day sale or something......

At that price, it is REALLY tempting! Sure wish I knew a delivery date

With optics planet, who knows. The place doesn't stock inventory on like 90% of the shit they sell, so it could be a while. The availability button says 1-3 months

They are a big operation so I guess they would get them about as soon as anyone else. $400 off is a good deal

Looks great, sounds great, but with so little information months after it’s announcement I am wary of when it will actually make an appearance
yeah I would be surprised if it makes it into anyone's hands before the fall

I bought 3 from optics planet - (1) H59 and (2) MD3 ... Those prices are worth the gamble

They have called no less than 3 times trying to get me to switch to an "In Stock" alternative. This leads me to believe that they don't expect them any time soon... The representatives quoted a month :cautious:

I bought 3 from optics planet - (1) H59 and (2) MD3 ... Those prices are worth the gamble

They have called no less than 3 times trying to get me to switch to an "In Stock" alternative. This leads me to believe that they don't expect them any time soon... The representatives quoted a month :cautious:
Sounds more like they may have goofed on the price, and are trying to get folks to shift over to something that doesn't hurt their bottom/profit line....

Midway has them listed at 1499.25 for the MD3 and 1649.25 for the H59. Might try one of the MD3 at that price.
Thanks for the heads up, that's the best price I've seen. Scope's not even out yet and already on sale.

Any idea what the minimum parallax distance is? Not seeing it anywhere.

Any idea what the minimum parallax distance is? Not seeing it anywhere.

45yds.
Straight outta the box and and I immediately notice this:mad:. I only have 1 high end optic and its a NF so I don't know if this is acceptable.

I'd be cool with it, I have a NF ATACR that's a little off half way through the rotation but then comes back around and I've seen worse or other high end optics to where it's fully in between the lines.

Reactions: ii open
45yds.
Straight outta the box and and I immediately notice this:mad:. I only have 1 high end optic and its a NF so I don't know if this is acceptable.

I doesn’t look too bad. If it’s enough you are unsure which 10th you’re on, I’d send it back. If you can tell and it tracks properly, I wouldn’t worry too much.

I'd be cool with it, I have a NF ATACR that's a little off half way through the rotation but then comes back around and I've seen worse or other high end optics to where it's fully in between the lines.
I doesn’t look too bad. If it’s enough you are unsure which 10th you’re on, I’d send it back. If you can tell and it tracks properly, I wouldn’t worry too much.

Its actually not bad at all, just kinda annoying and I hope this thing tracks well. But I know one thing for sure, I'm definitely gonna get some shti from vortex owners at the range...

I just pulled mine out and ran it all the way up to 17 mils (where it hit the stop from where it was delivered) at .5 mil intervals and it was lined up at every mark

Hopefully just a fluke on yours and not a wide spread issue, annoying for sure on a new optic...sucks, but if it bothers you I’m sure they’d swap it

45yds.
The one on my rifle now is perfect. I'll check the other two I have tomorrow.

Went ahead and took the pics tonight. The one on my rifle hits the indices perfect as does my other H59 model. My MD3 is a touch off.
MVIMG_20180820_200235.jpg
IMG_20180820_200229.jpg

Is there any play in the turrets back and forth? If they don’t line up but don’t move at all then there shouldn’t be any issue since there shouldn’t be any question which click you’re on. If there’s a little play then I’d send it back.

Is there any play in the turrets back and forth? If they don’t line up but don’t move at all then there shouldn’t be any issue since there shouldn’t be any question which click you’re on. If there’s a little play then I’d send it back.
Zero play.

yeah its pretty solid. I tried messing with it and it does not budge.

I’ve seen two different pictures of the MD3 reticle. The one shown here with floating center dot, or on places like Eurooptic or even Google images it shows it as a basic traditional mil crosshair reticle. Which is correct? I think Eurooptic and other people are showing the MD1 reticle and calling it the MD3 but I’m not sure.

I’ve seen two different pictures of the MD3 reticle. The one shown here with floating center dot, or on places like Eurooptic or even Google images it shows it as a basic traditional mil crosshair reticle. Which is correct? I think Eurooptic and other people are showing the MD1 reticle and calling it the MD3 but I’m not sure.
Yes, Europtic has it wrong. MD3 has the floating dot with the T shaped 1 mil hold.

My 5-25 Vudu Review

My H59 reticle Vudu came in the mail yesterday, thank you Burdy here on the Hide for selling me one of your “extra ones”. If you don’t want all the nitty-gritty details skip right down to the SUMMARY.

Before I get to my observations, a little bit about me: 25 years ago in college I was going to school for photography as well as business, ended up going to a prestigious art school in Detroit for a few years where I learned a lot about camera lenses, (although most of the technical aspect is forgotten by now). While I don’t consider myself a lens snob I do prefer quality lenses over cheaper glass, but as I like to say, every scope fits functional needs for its price point, and some better than others. I probably owned more than three dozen scopes over the last eight or nine years, S & B, Minox, Steiner, Kahles, US Optics, Leupold, Hawke (airguns), Athlon, Weaver Fixed, IOR Valdada, Vortex, Burris Nightforce, SWFA, the list goes on and on. I have a lot of fun trying out different optics on different rifles.

There’s a Guardian match in TN I’m taking my son to this weekend, his first big bore, and I wanted to get this mounted quickly to use as our backup gun. He’s running my DTA within S & B PM II 5-25 H59 reticle, and I wanted something similar ready to go on our backup DTA. I mounted it in 34 mm Badger Ordinance extra high rings and it sits at perfect cheek height for us.
IMG_0256.jpeg

IMG_0257.jpeg

EOTECH VUDU 5-25x50 H59

Packaged nicely, take a look at the photo of the packaging, it presents well and the shipping foam is more than adequate.

Accessories: sun shade (shown attached for overall length perspective in loading bench photo with EOTech box it came in), CR 2023 battery, elastic scope cap covers, throw lever, lens cloth, EOTech promotional stickers, manuals, etc. Also, for some reason they give an extra windage cap (maybe a packaging mistake?).

Clarity: this is probably the point most people are most curious about. It is definitely not up to S & B, Minox, IOR, US Optics (the “good” ones), even Kahles clarity. And at its price point, it’s not supposed to compete there. When I look at it side-by-side next to my S & B and Minox, the image is slightly “dull” on edge clarity, and lacks the contrast/punch of the higher-end glass. I would put it a tick under the nicer Nightforce, Steiner, Leupold, and Vortex. But definitely a step above my midgrade Athlon, Burris XTR II, SWFA fixed 16x. It does seem to lose just a little more clarity as you move up in the 22-25 range, but it’s miniscule compared to others I have and honestly, I think most of us competition shooters don’t shoot regularly in that zoom range anyway. One of the more amazing things is that it doesn’t tunnel AT ALL. I was half expecting this based on the size, but it’s just not there. Finally, I noticed no color aberrations in the glass. Everything came through color neutral.

Parallax/focus: turns smoothly, not too hard.

Eyepiece diopter adjustment: turns smoothly and more than adequate for my ailing eyes.

Illumination: push button rubber covered "nibs" on the outward end of the Parallax/focus knob. They don't interfere with focus so they're fine.

Zoom: another reviewer mentioned this, but it is somewhat wonky the entire eyepiece rotates. If you look at the photo everything from the numbers to the diopter adjustment ring rotates. Not bad, just different. Turning the zoom is smooth, just enough resistance.

Reticle: Horus H59 on this version. Edge to edge clarity of the reticle is excellent when diopter adjusted. At max 25x zoom the bottom of the reticle hits the 8MIL line. Fully opened to 5x shows the entire Horus reticle “tree”.

Knobs & Clicks: how do you describe something like this? When compared against my other high-end scopes it’s not too harsh and clicky, but not too muddy. Goldilocks would say it’s just right. The windage cap doesn’t bother me, since I’m running the Horus anyway. Regarding zero adjustments: it’s interesting to note, the windage you screw out & adjust with the coin, but the elevation is actually adjustable with your fingers. If you look in the photo, you actually screw out the tiny knurled piece near the top cylinder to pull up on the turret. Just a little different. I like that you don’t need tools, but then they should’ve set up the windage like that too. Maybe it had something to do with the zero stop, (which I’ve not played with yet). My elevation clicks line up perfectly with the index mark. After I had it zeroed, I dialed it straight back to 660 (my furthest target) and elevation was spot on. I’ll have to do more thorough box testing when I have more ammo and time.

Form factor: I know this is its big selling point. I like the small size and reduced weight for a 5-25.
IMG_0259.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0261.jpeg

IMG_0264.jpeg

IMG_0263.jpeg

SUMMARY

If you’re going to be looking at this type of scope it’s obviously going to either be the H59 reticle, size or glass clarity. I think coming out of the gate EOTech nailed this one pretty good in those aspects. For its price point it definitely sits well in terms of glass clarity. Is it going to replace a higher-end optic: No. You still need to go into the $2700 - $3000+ range to get some of your best glass. But it definitely seems to be a step above what I would call similar price competitor, especially when you factor in the size and weight. I think it would be a perfect fit for long-range setup AR’s. For the price point and features I’d consider it a good deal on a nice 5-25.

Who has the best price on these currently? I'm not seeing anything sub $2k at the moment. I'm after the H59 reticle.

There is an EOTech MAP Holiday that runs from now until September 30. So yeah, get them while you can because those prices are way lower than expected.
Edit: I just tried to order 31 of the MD3's and H59's on Midway (just to check stock)...its says there is 1 in stock each and 30 on Backorder. I suspect very few dealers have many of these so they will probably be gone fast during the promo.

Last edited:
Mounted mine up today...shot 30 rounds, all at 100 yds

My general first impression...glass in the same class as Bushnell DMR/Burris XTR2...I had bright white paper with black dots and a black backer board, sun shining directly on the board so lots of reflection...CA was pretty noticeable, not terrible, but if CA annoys you...would be a problem. Looking at the landscape of the surrounding berms, glass seemed much better and completely serviceable

Illumination is kind of meh...reminds me of the swfa 5-20hd...not great but useable

Glass wise, Had it next to a Minox zp5, AMG, and gen 2...its defintely a step below the amg/gen 2, and the minox outclasses all of them...again, different price range also between these optics

Turrets feel good, again, similar to bushnell line

Had rifle zero’d in 3 shots, what I measured in the rectile, dialed right to it...reset turrets and then set zero stop which is super quick and easy

After that was done, I had put up 3 different sheets of paper with random dots all over it...for the rest of the rounds I milled the dots and dialed to hit them while holding my zero dot...all 3/4” dots and all of them were hit, weren’t all dead center but bullets at least broke the dot which is well within my milling/shooting error...every few shots I would go back to zero and reconfirm, never off the zero dot...it worked exactly how I expected it to the whole time

One thing worth considering is this thing is SHORT...I threw it on my AT cause that’s what I’m gunna shoot at a local match this weekend and the factory NV height rail on the AT is longer than the scope tube mounting surface...had to use rings that would be high enough for a gas gun to clear the objective...also barely had room to move it back far enough to get proper eye relief...my rear ring is about 1/4” from the turret housing

Just to note, my Gen 2 Razor doesn’t clear my AT rail with Low rings either...the mag ring hits the rear of the pic rail...the rail is way longer than standard actions...Not sure how much difference it will make on a regular action, but when my origin comes in, I’ll be able to check it out

IMO if you’re looking for a scope to compete with the top tier stuff across the board...the vudu is going to leave you wanting...but if you’re looking for a scope that offers lots of the same features and very serviceable performance in a TINY/SHORT package, it ticks the marks...a gas gun, or short compact hunting rig would make a good home for it

my 5-25 gets thumbs up from me after its first run...threw it on my AI, zero'd at 100, then took it to a local match this past sunday

longest engagement was 750 yds, majority were 300-600...no issues from the scope...shot ~91% for the match, dope was on every range, only target that was potentially an issue was a TYL rack ~400 yds, the last steel was 2" i believe, and holding .4 wind, the reticle is pretty thick and the target was behind some tall grass...grass + thick reticle made it pretty hard to see where the actual target was so i didnt risk my banked pts

overall it did everything im used to scopes doing...wasnt hard to get in behind, easy to dial out parallax, lined up with previously known dope used on my other optics...cant complain

@morganlamprecht will the vudu be replacing your minox or vortex scopes as primary prs scopes? And if not what intrigued you to try the vudu?
Just curious if such a short scope offers advantages in competition shooting that I may be missing. Thanks

@morganlamprecht will the vudu be replacing your minox or vortex scopes as primary prs scopes? And if not what intrigued you to try the vudu?
Just curious if such a short scope offers advantages in competition shooting that I may be missing. Thanks

not at all, i bought this for a little short hunting rig or for my 6.5 gas gun, i mainly got it because i thought it was a cool little package with the features it offered...i just threw it on my AI for now because the hunting rig isnt done yet, and my AI is the best rifle in the safe for testing things on, i shoot it better than anything else...other than the few instances where i use the hold trees (not very often), i dont think the Vudu would hold anyone back...but i definitely prefer the zp5/gen 2/amg if just talking flat out performance

Can anyone give me the outside diameter of the objective bell? I'm trying to figure out how low I can mount it.

Took out my new Vudu today to zero it and try it out. Ran into a very interesting situation I’ve never encountered before. When I removed the elevation turret to set it back to zero, the inside was full of water.
v3g092.jpg

Lookedto be a bit of purple haze in one of the pics above. From everything i understand thats a product of lower grade glass. Any more information on this purple haze around the edges of the sight picture?

I ordered a second one from the Midway sale (another H59, and lucked out cause they shipped it to me already instead of Backordering) and both have nothing in regards to purple haze on them, so not sure what you're seeing in the photos. Could just be the way the light is hitting the glass plane and reflecting the lens coatings?

I have one on my kitchen table to play with (loaned to me from a retailer). It is a pretty neat little optic - I know the pictures make it seem small but it is impressively small when lined up against S&B or Minox 5-25s.

I haven't played with it much but I would agree with @morganlamprecht about it. Is it comparable to a Minox/SB/RazorII/ etc.? No, but in the price area they are in they are a good option.

I was going to buy this scope to replace or compliment my Razor Gen I 5-20 for PRS but found out it's $99 over PRS Production Class MSRP limits. GRRRR

Took out my new Vudu today to zero it and try it out. Ran into a very interesting situation I’ve never encountered before. When I removed the elevation turret to set it back to zero, the inside was full of water.
v3g092.jpg

You just drained the cooling system, now your scope's gonna overheat.

Reactions: Mwalex
I got mine mounted up yesterday and fired a handful of rounds. If anyone is wondering it JUST BARELY fits in a Spuhr 4602. There is maybe a 1/16" space between the occular and objective bell.

It's definitely super short. About 1" shorter than a 2.5-10x32 nxs.

Above 20x the image got noticeably dimmer in overcast conditions.

When I first took it out the clicks on the elevation turret were very stiff and it was hard to get just one click or dial exactly but they loosened up a bit. I thought the locking cap mechanism would be spring loaded to hold it down but it's not. Just o ring tension keeps it from sliding up and down at will.

Unfortunately this one will probably be going back for repair. Yesterday I noticed that when changing directions on the elevation turret there was about .2-.3 mil where the detents are mushy. Ex. Dial up 3 and back to 2.8 and it doesn't click and lock in solid until about 2.7. Same if you went to say 1.2 from there and then to 1.4. Mush. Seems like something is loose with the detent mechanism. Haven't checked tracking yet.

Mine also got sent in for repair. Besides the liquid in the turret shown above, which corroded parts of the internals of the turret, the image became extremely clouded/ blurred, and the reticle faded. If I changed the mag back and forth, eventually the reticle would completely disappear, then come partially back. Also, the lock ring for the diopter was completely useless, and had no effect on the diopter adjustment. The illumination also bled horribly. I sent it in early last week. Kind of pissed off they didn’t pay for shipping, but whatever, as long as they fix it.

I got mine mounted up Thursday and played with it yesterday.

Everything seems good with it. My results were similar to everyone else’s.

The only issue I’ve had, at 25x I’ve noticed a blue/greenish hue. It isn’t terrible but it’s there.

@BoomerC, that’s interesting, I also had a greenish hue develop in mine. It wasn’t there initially, but appeared after 5-10 shots and got gradually more prevelant. After that the image become blurred in the top half of the lens, and then the reticle faded after that.