• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New 5-25x50 Vudu

They’re ITAR controlled. It’s a nightmare. I could not buy one in the states and bring it back in my carry on legally, if that’s what you’re asking.

I'm pretty sure you're correct and since its over $1,000 you can't claim it under the $250 exemption or whatever it is
That being said, most ITAR controlled stiff is coming off the USML list and going over to BIS so it can probably be exported by this summer.

Is it a restriction with the flying? Can you drive down, pick one up and drive back?
idk sounds like a stupid predicament to be in, as if choosing an optic wasn't difficult enough

I think it’s the same either way. It wouldn’t be any cheaper because our dollar is in the tank. That plus import and duty fees, it gets expensive pretty quick. I can find most scopes here from online Canadian dealers, just very little opportunity to physically look at something before you buy.

I'm pretty sure you're correct and since its over $1,000 you can't claim it under the $250 exemption or whatever it is
That being said, most ITAR controlled stiff is coming off the USML list and going over to BIS so it can probably be exported by this summer.

I had not heard of items getting removed, that’s awesome news for Canadians.

I had not heard of items getting removed, that’s awesome news for Canadians.

Yes, its huge news. I'm sort of surprised the lack of literature on it but it's supposed to be done by this summer. I actually have a seminar I'm attending next month on ITAR and the transition over to BIS that my company is sending me to. Hopefully, i'll be able be a little more knowledgeable on it then

They’re ITAR controlled. It’s a nightmare. I could not buy one in the states and bring it back in my carry on legally, if that’s what you’re asking.
Pretty sure its the Horus that is ITAR controlled.

Hi,

ITAR once again:ROFLMAO:.

Scopes are one of the trickiest products on the USML Sec 121 list because the description of the ITAR control is so vague since it does not list what constitutes "Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications".

IF the scope manufacturers took the time to submit a commodity jurisdiction and dual use determination then pretty much no scope would fall under ITAR but then those manufacturers could not use certain marketing phrases and campaigns...but I digress.

In your specific case @Burdy is correct..it is the reticle you want is what makes your SPECIFIC situation ITAR controlled and not the "Vudu" scope itself.

The reason we do not see more information on the upcoming ITAR changes is because there is no time frame on when it will become effective. For some reason there is a rumor that it will be June but that is not going to happen IMO. The Dept of Commerce has not even remotely completely assigning ECCN to the product categories and products they would be assuming jurisdictional control over because the DDTC Defense Advisory Trade Group has not even submitted final version of which exact products in USML Sec 121, Cat I, II and III they are going to keep control over.

The only thing KNOWN so far is that USML Sec 121, Cat I, II, and III will be moving to Dept of Commerce control with the exception of selected and specific items in which DDTC deems it still needs to control. When the effective date hits the Federal Register (Only then will it become "law") is up in the air as of this very second.

DDTC DTAG has not reconvened on this subject since October of 2018. You will see DTAG hold another open hearing along with Fed Register holding a 30 day comment/suggestion period before the transition moves any further.

Sincerely,
Theis

I have one and like it a lot. It’s really easy to get behind and I love how light and small it is. The h59 is a bit thick on the high end of magnification but is still very useable. The only big downside is it has some noticeable CA.

I like mine. Have one MD3 and one H59 I prefer the H59.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190321_204524.jpg
    MVIMG_20190321_204524.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 189
I compared my h59 version with a 5-20 ultra short h59 on 308 gasguns. They were very comparable. The ultrashorts image felt slightly bigger and handled ca better but it made no difference at 600 yards. I’m really impressed with it now that I’ve used it a few times out to 700 yards. So far it’s tracking dead on at 700 yards and in.

Sorry to revive the thread, but I'd rather not start a new one. I read through, and was hoping someone with experience can tell me if there's a huge difference between the Vudu 5-25 and the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18. I built a .223 trainer for myself, and it's got the Mark 5. My wife shot it over the weekend, and she wants basically the same features, but with slightly more magnification. I'm gathering the parts for assembly for her rifle (as they come together), so it should be a nice compact little rifle. So far, I have a trued R700 action with bedded 20 MOA rail, Proof 18" CF barrel, Jewell trigger, bottom metal, and hopes to get a Manners CS stock. I think the Vudu would fit nicely if she wants something with a bit more magnification than what mine has, but have wondered about overall quality, clarity, and mounting. Anything jumping out, for those that have looked through both, that should prevent this magical union of parts to work (I saw that question about ring height, and I have a set of 1" tall BO rings that should work)? Should I look at other options in terms of glass? Thanks in advance, and thank you all for the info shared here.

I am testing a 5-25x50 Vudu with MD3 reticle. Unfortunately, I do not have the 3.6-18x44 Mark 5 here, so I am going off of my recolleciton, but I am comparing the Vudu to some of the same scopes I used with Mark 5. At the same magnification, their optical performance should be broadly comparable. The Mark 5 I had here had less CA and flare was a little better controlled (common issue with short scopes), but if you are not using a clip-on, keeping a sunshade on the Vudu really helps with flare.

Honestly, I would have preferred the Vudu in a 4-20x configuration, than 5-25x, but it seems to work well as is (and my primary interest is using it on gas guns where 4x is nice to have). There is definitely a weird aesthetic appeal to a scope this short, but honestly, if you are not looking for compactness, you can probably get better optical performance for the money.

However, if you are looking for something short, this is easily one of the better options out there.

I tested it on a very accurate 16" barreled 5.56 AR-15 and it was an absolutely perfect fit there. The gun balanced reasonably well with the Vudu and the scope is easy to get behind. I hit everything I aimed at and while there is obvious CA when the conditions are right for it, overall image quality is quite good. I did not go above 20x very much when shooting, but that is pretty normal for me. One important factor was that the parallax did not shift POA in any significant way.

Basically, you kinda have to decide whether that short overall length is really important to you. The Vudu seems to run right around $2k, and for that money there are several larger scopes that will perform better optically, but you pay for that with packaging.

ILya

Reactions: MarinePMI
Hey troops, this thread caught my eye, since I recently picked up a VUDU 3X18. First impressions were very good, clear glass and I wasn't "unhappy" with the H59 reticle. I mounted it on my Tikka T3 TAC A1, in a Badger 20MOA base and it all came together very well. I have zeroed it, set the zero stop, and did a quick "box test", and so far so good. I'll be taking it out over the next couple of days to 500 & 800. I'll follow up with my results for anyone here who is interested. Cheers

Reactions: hseII
Another "Revive The Thread" question. My EOTech Vudu 5-25 arrives later today (going on a .224 Valkyrie build I just finished), and my mount shows up the day after. Got an ADM Recon QD Cantilever mount ... but didn't think about the shorter length and possible eye relief issues of not being able to mount far enough towards the back of the rifle. I suppose if I hit an issue, I just reverse the mount and solve it that way, but it'll look a little goofy. Anybody use this "shortie" with a cantilever mount? Any issues seating the scope far enough backwards to get a good eye-box?

Reactions: deersniper
Have they done anything with the ca issues? Or maybe I need to send mine back and have it looked at?

I love the compact size for making clip on optics easier to reach. The eyebox seems good. Not in love with the h59 but it's workable. I've never considered myself a glass snob but ca is definitely there in this one and I've never noticed it in anything before.

Got my new scope a few days ago. Love the compact form factor and some of the other features, but the Chromatic Aberration is definitely noticeable around the edges in bright light and high magnification. Illumination is useless too. Going to hold off on my final assessment until I can take it to the range and shoot it at some 1,000-yard steel.

Base question will be ... Is the compact size and solid accuracy worth the compromise in CA and crappy illumination? Can't answer that yet.

Once I get my cnvd-lr back I'm going to have to do a side by side comparison with the other scopes I have and see how the images compare. Ca shouldn't be an issue looking through NV. The night time benefits might be worth the daytime shortcomings.
To test against I have
Vortex 4.5-27 g2 and AMG
Nxs 3.5-15f1 and 2.5-10x32

Once I get my cnvd-lr back I'm going to have to do a side by side comparison with the other scopes I have and see how the images compare. Ca shouldn't be an issue looking through NV. The night time benefits might be worth the daytime shortcomings.
To test against I have
Vortex 4.5-27 g2 and AMG
Nxs 3.5-15f1 and 2.5-10x32
I run a WP CNVD-LR all the time with the Vudu 5-25, you are going to like it.

I run a WP CNVD-LR all the time with the Vudu 5-25, you are going to like it.
Any pics? I might get one of these to try and show horn a 5-25 plus a UtC onto a covert. Here’s a pic not mine might be in this thread I think it might fit.
Also how does everyone like these scopes now that they have been out a while.

7EF93DF8-059A-4B25-AD0C-F4EAAF775E2E.jpeg

Edit might be tight but I think it will fit.

92603A01-4FD5-4F7F-A84D-DDA65A5FBA08.png

Last edited:
Any pics? I might get one of these to try and show horn a 5-25 plus a UtC onto a covert. Here’s a pic not mine might be in this thread I think it might fit.
Also how does everyone like these scopes now that they have been out a while.

View attachment 7202095
Edit might be tight but I think it will fit.

View attachment 7202098
That should fit. By my rough estimation a cnvd-lr should just fit on a covert with a vudu. I plan on trying it if I ever pick up a a2 chassis as well.

Last edited: