• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge

Brownell's has just dropped prices as follows: 5 rd, $49-42.88 / 15 rd, $57-49.88 / 25 rd, $65-56.88. I bought a 15 rd to try. (they didn't offer a blow job:mad:

Is it your birthday or you have an industry account or something?

Can we just call them clips and move on please..
I dig the ASC mags. I'm about to get a couple more 10 rounders.
Shot the first PRS match this weekend - get ready to laugh, but I personally had a blast and learned a ton. I could have taken my 6.5 bolt gun but I wanted to run the ARC because of reasons...
https://brassbucket.net/2022/03/21/first-prs-match-at-alabama-precision/
There is a 600 yd bench match this weekend but I think I used my brownie points on this past match. My ELR mentor shot the Mile shootout in Blakely GA and got 2/10 hits. Weather down there was miserable/bearable so I'm kind of glad I did the PRS match instead.

Just got off the phone with a guy at Geissele. He told me that they designed the 6mm ARC mags to their specs and are currently manufacturing their own mags (6mm ARC specific mag bodies and followers) **in house** right now. He also said, *at this time* they have have no plans to offer just 6mm ARC complete uppers.

Just got off the phone with a guy at Geissele. He told me that they designed the 6mm ARC mags to their specs and are currently manufacturing their own mags (6mm ARC specific mag bodies and followers) **in house** right now. He also said, *at this time* they have have no plans to offer just 6mm ARC complete uppers.
The lower is proprietary. The magazine well has been changed. I'm not sure what else.

The lower is proprietary. The magazine well has been changed. I'm not sure what else.
if the Geissele 6mm ARC lower is proprietary, and they changed the mag well, there is a possibility that the Geissele 6mm ARC mags might not work in a regular run-of-the-mill mil-spec AR-15 lower? just wondering... gives me pause.

Only one way to find out. I shot and handled every flavor of their 6 ARC rifles at SHOT and any difference was imperceiveable.

I received my Geissele 6mm ARC 15 and 25rd mags today from Brownells. They fit perfectly in both my AR15 lowers. Mag release worked fine, the bolt locked back on them and the bolt release worked fine. I have nothing to compare them to, but the fit and finish looked fine. The follower worked very smoothly in the mag body and I could not make the follower dip or hang up at all. I do not have a 6mm ARC AR yet, so I can't comment on how they feed the ammo yet.

tYOXUaRl.jpg

dEnS32Tl.jpg

kN0C5PHl.jpg

VXmnvqLl.jpg

vH5nQFsl.jpg

B66hp0al.jpg

YenX4h6l.jpg

PAZ8WRWl.jpg

nItinyQl.jpg

Last edited:
I received my Geissele 6mm ARC 15 and 25rd mags today from Brownells. They fit perfectly in both my AR15 lowers. Mag release worked fine, the bolt locked back on them and the bolt release worked fine. I have nothing to compare them to, but the fit and finish looked fine. The follower worked very smoothly in the mag body and I could not make the follower dip or hang up at all. I do not have a 6mm ARC AR yet, so I can't comment on how they feed the ammo yet. Here are some Pics I just took of one of them.

tYOXUaRl.jpg

dEnS32Tl.jpg

hQ9tfyRl.jpg

kN0C5PHl.jpg

VXmnvqLl.jpg

vH5nQFsl.jpg

B66hp0al.jpg

YenX4h6l.jpg

PAZ8WRWl.jpg

nItinyQl.jpg
I received my first 15 round today and ordered 2 more. Plan to order a couple of 5s and 25s. Just took my parts to my Gunsmith today, so can't comment further.

for those w/ bolt action ARCs and wanting to try neck bushing dies, these are available on midway
earlier this month I broke down and used my 15% off birthday coupon on the Wilson die, I had been waiting on the Hornady forever, the hornady just listed this morning....still haven't gotten around to using my Wilson yet

Hornady Match Grade Bushing 2-Die Set

L.E. Wilson Bushing Type Full Length Sizer Die

The wilson is GTG. Get SAC bushings This is the one you want if you plan to convert Grendel brass.
Edit: I don’t use Wilsons expander ball. Instead I use a 21st century Expander die and mandrels.

The Hornady FL will size the base .002 -.0025 smaller than the Wilson. It should be fine, but I prefer the Wilson. Hornady may leave a step at the bottom of Lapua 6.5G if you try converting with this.

Last edited:
Is anyone using a Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod2 barrel in 6mm Arc? Im looking at the 18". I know generally speaking they are good barrels, but I cant find many reviews in the 6mm Arc. Wondering if anyone has any first hand experience they would share?
I mounted and shot my Rainier Ultramatch 18” yesterday at 100yds using factory Hornady Black and ELD-M. Initially the Black was grouping somewhat poorly at just over 1 moa 5 shot groups, but the bigger problem was around shot 15-20 I started having stuck cases. Started shooting the ELD but before I could get a proper group the cases began getting so stuck that mortar-ing the charging handle wasn’t enough, I had to use a screwdriver to pry open my BCG and I called it quits shortly thereafter. Before that, I wasn’t too impressed with the grouping I was seeing. Didn’t get a chrono’d velocity. Anyway, I’m requesting a refund through their money back guarantee, don’t really feel like self-investigating further.

I have the 22" Rainier Ultramatch 6 ARC. was shooting Hornady Black. didn't have a problem with stuck cases, but seemed a little undergassed, wouldn't lock back on empty, and most times didn't come back far enough to load the next round. So had to disassemble and increase the gas port a skosh. Haven't had the opportunity to take it out again yet.
Yeah I also had that happen a couple times before the stuck case issue, wouldn’t lock back on empty using a duramag 6.5/6arc 10rd mag, A5 tube, sprinco green, A5H2 buffer.

I mounted and shot my Rainier Ultramatch 18” yesterday at 100yds using factory Hornady Black and ELD-M. Initially the Black was grouping somewhat poorly at just over 1 moa 5 shot groups, but the bigger problem was around shot 15-20 I started having stuck cases. Started shooting the ELD but before I could get a proper group the cases began getting so stuck that mortar-ing the charging handle wasn’t enough, I had to use a screwdriver to pry open my BCG and I called it quits shortly thereafter. Before that, I wasn’t too impressed with the grouping I was seeing. Didn’t get a chrono’d velocity. Anyway, I’m requesting a refund through their money back guarantee, don’t really feel like self-investigating further.

It seems to me that manufacturers just can't make a good 6 ARC barrel. I went through TWO barrels so far, with horrid results. First a Ballistic Advantage, then a BSF carbon barrel. Both were beyond unacceptable.

I'm now waiting on a custom spec X-Caliber barrel.

I've had excellent luck with several Proof CFW barrels, and a few Craddock Precision Bartleins.

But, I've had terrible issues with magazines. The only thing that seems to work at all for me are Brenton and Duramag.

But - There is hope!!! The brand new Geissele 6mmARC mags are now available at Brownell's. Brace yourself for sticker shock, however.

Also had great success (myself and friends) with several Proof stainless and CF barrels.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I also ordered the barrel and took it out for the first time yesterday. I havent been able to find any factory ammo, so I loaded my own and was very careful double checking all my measurements. Got a stuck case on my first shot (round was well below max). Couldnt get it out in field, but was able to at home after putting some oil down the barrel and mortaring it. Please post back with their response.

Reactions: cgstumps
Just put 20 rounds of Hornady ELDM through a Proof 20” CF to zero, break in, and tune AGB. Used E-Lander mag. So far so good; 100% reliable and very promising accuracy.

Just put 20 rounds of Hornady ELDM through a Proof 20” CF to zero, break in, and tune AGB. Used E-Lander mag. So far so good; 100% reliable and very promising accuracy.
How’s the gas? I was hoping to avoid an adjustable gas block.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I also ordered the barrel and took it out for the first time yesterday. I havent been able to find any factory ammo, so I loaded my own and was very careful double checking all my measurements. Got a stuck case on my first shot (round was well below max). Couldnt get it out in field, but was able to at home after putting some oil down the barrel and mortaring it. Please post back with their response.
How about posting pictures of brass + dimensions. I could give comparable measurements from fire formed cases shot in a Rainier that functions correctly.

I've got 197 rounds through my 6ARC 22" Ultra match so far & zero function issues. This was 63 rounds factory ammo & the rest hand loads with Lapua & Hornady brass.
Factory 108's run 2625 & .850" x 5 @ 100
Berger 109/Lever at 2.290 has been worked up to 2730 = .5" @ 100
Sierra 100TGK/Lever 2830 & 2.260 - 2.270 = .75" @ 100 & 2.313 = .6" Still need to do more seating tests 2.285 - 2.295
PVA 100 Seneca/Lever 2730 loaded 2.370 = .5" from the mag @ 100 (unstable). Single loaded 2.410 @ 2770 = .4" (also unstable)

I have no idea how it's possible for the PVA Seneca's to group so well while making triangle holes. Somebody needs to explain that one to me?

That's x 3 of the PVA's on the right.
IMG_6883.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gtscotty
How’s the gas? I was hoping to avoid an adjustable gas block.
Well I started with the AGB fully closed off. I also was using a brass catcher, so I didn’t really tune it to eject at a particular “time”. I was shooting suppressed.

First shot bolt didn’t move. Turned it open 3-4 clicks. Again didn’t move. Another 3-4 clicks and it was ejecting smartly into the catcher.

It was more of a shake down cruise to see if my Franken-build would run. First 20 rounds is very promising.

Of course have more work to do. But I don’t have an optic dedicated to this rifle yet.

It seems lever evolution does not like to be compressed. Up to about 29.0 grains it behaves as it should. However above that things start getting weird.

Velocities become inconsistent and actually drop going from 29.0 to 29.5.

How about posting pictures of brass + dimensions. I could give comparable measurements from fire formed cases shot in a Rainier that functions correctly.

I've got 197 rounds through my 6ARC 22" Ultra match so far & zero function issues. This was 63 rounds factory ammo & the rest hand loads with Lapua & Hornady brass.
Sierra 100TGK/Lever 2830 & 2.260 - 2.270 = .75" @ 100 & 2.313 = .6" Still need to do more seating tests 2.285 - 2.295
PVA 100 Seneca/Lever 2730 loaded 2.370 = .5" from the mag @ 100 (unstable). Single loaded 2.410 @ 2770 = .4" (also unstable)

I have no idea how it's possible for the PVA Seneca's to group so well while making triangle holes. Somebody needs to explain that one to me?

View attachment 7842710
What's your lever load with the Berger 109s? And jump length?

It seems lever evolution does not like to be compressed. Up to about 29.0 grains it behaves as it should. However above that things start getting weird.

29.4 Lever @ 2.290 for the Berger 109 = 2705 SD 4.1 there are no pressure indicators of any kind on that load.
Velocity was 2700 +- 10fps for 2.290 - 2.320 coal all at 29.4
@ 2.330 coal speed jumped to 2730 still no pressure indicators

The 109's liked coal of 2.290 & 2.310 - 2.335. They did not seem happy at 2.300.
I'm going to try 2.285 - 2.295.

I was wondering about the PVAs for this cartridge. Thanks for sharing, are they just wobbling in there at an angle or what?

I was wondering about the PVAs for this cartridge. Thanks for sharing, are they just wobbling in there at an angle or what?
PVA recommends a 7T for the 100gr Seneca. The Rainier is a 7 so I tried, but Nooo. I think they're just running to slow.

They are also long as hell so even long loaded they leave less room for powder.
I may give the 95gr Seneca's a try.

I figured it out.

My dumb ass forgot to trim. My cases were .010" too long. That'll cause weird pressure issues quick.

Just received the RMA number from Rainier, they're giving a full refund and didn't ask any questions about what the issue was. Probably going to try out the Proof 18" stainless next as it's about the same price.

View attachment 7842710

I just paid a lot for a box of factory eldm ammo. If it shoots fine, I'll analyze my hand loads for issues. But, if the factory ammo has issues I'm going to rma the barrel.

Wilson Combat is making 6mm ARC rifles

And selling barrels.

Mrs. Walter has one of the prototype/proof of concept WC barrels in Tactical Hunter 18" and it's scary accurate with 108 ELD-M.

Thanks much!

I've been waiting for them to hop on board with 6mm ARC, sent a few check-in emails in the past year but have only gotten non-committal responses. My WC plain 16" Recon in 6.5 G has been great for such a lightweight barrel, and now I have the fluted 18" Recon in ARC on the way!

I wonder why they went mid-length on the lighter 18" Tactical Hunter? Would have gone that route, but shooting suppressed, gas systems on the longer side have been easier for me to tune.

Reactions: George Mac and RMB
The WC recon barrel shows to be 11 oz lighter than a Proof SS and just a few ounces more than a Proof CF. And a much better price...
Hope WC starts selling 14.5" 6ARC barrels soon!

Reactions: Bluedog82
Thanks much!

I've been waiting for them to hop on board with 6mm ARC, sent a few check-in emails in the past year but have only gotten non-committal responses. My WC plain 16" Recon in 6.5 G has been great for such a lightweight barrel, and now I have the fluted 18" Recon in ARC on the way!

I wonder why they went mid-length on the lighter 18" Tactical Hunter? Would have gone that route, but shooting suppressed, gas systems on the longer side have been easier for me to tune.
....looking forward to your results posting..

Just got this email from Wilson Combat:

"Hello,
I have some bad news, WC has decided to discontinue this barrel due to low ordering. I do have this barrel, this is on BO, but if you want this barrel instead I can get it switched over for you? Let me know what you would like to do.

TR-6ATHMG18FT7.5

--

Sales/Customer Service 1-800-955-4856 Ext. 101

Wilson Combat
2452 CR 719
Berryville, AR 72616
www.wilsoncombat.com"

Has anyone else gotten this message? How can a product that was introduced 3 days ago and sold out be cancelled for lack of sales? Also, when I ordered, the site said my barrel was in stock, so even if they did discontinue, it shouldn't matter for my in-stock barrel.

Just got this email from Wilson Combat:

"Hello,
I have some bad news, WC has decided to discontinue this barrel due to low ordering. I do have this barrel, this is on BO, but if you want this barrel instead I can get it switched over for you? Let me know what you would like to do.

TR-6ATHMG18FT7.5

--

Sales/Customer Service 1-800-955-4856 Ext. 101

Wilson Combat
2452 CR 719
Berryville, AR 72616
www.wilsoncombat.com"

Has anyone else gotten this message? How can a product that was introduced 3 days ago and sold out be cancelled for lack of sales? Also, when I ordered, the site said my barrel was in stock, so even if they did discontinue, it shouldn't matter for my in-stock barrel.
So just to be clear, they release two barrels, one in a decent configuration and one in a stupid configuration, and then immediately discontinue the good one?

Hi David,

Yes, the line was released with Recon and Tactical Hunter barrels/rifles, however Bill prefers the Tactical Hunter only in the caliber so once we sold out of the Recon barrels they were discontinued on both the barrels and rifles. The Tactical Hunter barrel is just a bit lighter than the Recon barrel and the only two differences in the Tactical Hunter model is the lightweight upper and barrel profile.

The Recon barrels / rifle are not offered. The Tactical Hunter barrels and rifle are still available to order.

Tressa Joubert

I dont get how something can sell out almost immediately and be discontinued from low sales. did they only make 3 and therefore only sold 3. sounds fishy. maybe they had a problem.

anyhow, thanks wilson you saved me more money than you realize. I almost got in the 6arc game.

So just to be clear, they release two barrels, one in a decent configuration and one in a stupid configuration, and then immediately discontinue the good one?

After getting hung up on twice, I finally got to their customer service dept today, and you're very close, but you missed a crucial step. First they oversold the actual number of good configurations they actually had, then discontinued it. Then, of course they offered to let folks who bought the non-existent "in stock" good version, get on the waiting list for the stupid version.

Hi David,

Yes, the line was released with Recon and Tactical Hunter barrels/rifles, however Bill prefers the Tactical Hunter only in the caliber so once we sold out of the Recon barrels they were discontinued on both the barrels and rifles. The Tactical Hunter barrel is just a bit lighter than the Recon barrel and the only two differences in the Tactical Hunter model is the lightweight upper and barrel profile.

The Recon barrels / rifle are not offered. The Tactical Hunter barrels and rifle are still available to order.

Tressa Joubert

I would love to get the Tactical Hunter if this were true, but it's not, the Recon had a rifle-length gas and the Hunter has a mid-length, significant difference there. Shooting suppressed, I prefer rifle length on my 18" .223s, hard pass on a Mid-length 18" 6ARC burning more and slower powder.

The search continues for a lighter weight option that isn't Proof CF priced or set up stupidly.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
The search continues for a lighter weight option that isn't Proof CF priced or set up stupidly.
If you can wait a few months just get a custom. X-Caliber's sale this weekend should put you in that same price range.
Not sure what WC is thinking with their unusual sales strategy.

My Proof 18” rifle +1 barrel has been a dream. No timing issues, and none of the “grendel belted magnum” problems guys are seeing caused by badly timed guns unlocking too early and with too much residual pressure in the bore. It’s almost as if the barrel was designed in conjunction with Hornady’s development of the cartridge….

Maybe WC has done their homework, but I think they may discover that an 18” mid length gassed 6ARC barrel is a bad idea. Even more so than a similarly proportioned 5.56 barrel.

Maybe. But Bill Wilson has a ranch where he shoot’s pigs all year round, and he hunted with both barrels, and found the 18” mid gas better than the 18” rifle gas, and he hunts with a can.

So, there must be something behind it.

• Haha
Reactions: Tx_Aggie