• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New AI rifles...what do you think...will they set a new trend, follow some others???

Where are you guys getting the $2000 price for the barrels? I just left the mile high booth and they confirmed that they use the old barrels, there is nothing different about them. I removed the barrel from the AX and verified this as well.

Where are you guys getting the $2000 price for the barrels? I just left the mile high booth and they confirmed that they use the old barrels, there is nothing different about them. I removed the barrel from the AX and verified this as well.

This is correct, AW/AX bbls will fit the new rifles, and no they are not 2K ea....

Really liking the new features. Standard QC barrel across all models is neat and pricing the AT at basically the same price as the outgoing AE but with seemingly all the features (and then some) of the AW is fantastic. AI should move a *lot* of ATs.

While I wouldn't mind upgrading my current AE Mk3 to an AT or AXMC I think I'm going to hold off... while I wouldn't mind an AT or AXMC right now my current AE Mk3 does everything I want it to. The real reason I'm hesitating is because I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a .223 conversion sometime in the future. If AI announced that a .223 conversion (mags, barrel, bolt nose) will be available in the future for the AT or AXMC I would rapidly part with my 6.5CM AE and .223 R700 in an AICS and replace them both with the new offerings.

While not the rifles, I notice the new AX AICS has the PSR style buttstock and right side folding. I wonder if the buttstock was made to clear oversize/extended bolt knobs... hopefully they didn't make the shape only accommodate factory-sized bolt knobs.

Last edited:
This is correct, AW/AX bbls will fit the new rifles, and no they are not 2K ea....

Sweet. This will ensure tons of aftermarket support for existing AWs, like mine.

On the topic of the new price "screwing" existing AW/AX/PSR owners, please. Don't be petty, the old rigs are still 100% the shooter they're always been. I don't plan on changing out my old AW to an AT any time soon, but their introduction is a boon for everyone. This is progress marching on, and it's oh so sweet.

What do you mean you heard? It came from Mile High above a "plain barrel" price and a folder option. That is not $4500 and an additional 2,000 for a barrel. Also, doesn't look like they have .338 ATs.

Ahhh. Apologies.

In the 308 thread you asked if they were $6800. You were never corrected...Which lead 2/3 people after you to do some shitty math.

It was estimated prior to Mile High's posting that the setup itself was 4200 (folder + bla bla) and then the barrel.

Now that mile high has posted (Which I didn't see), a few of the original posts from this morning aren't there anymore.

So I apologize for the shitty information.

Also my comment @ the PSR do the math. PSR is @ $17000.

The kit comes with 3 bolts, 3 barrels, 9 mags and a chassis...Also a case.

So let's say the chassis is $8k, that means each "barrel/bolt/mag system" is 3k. 8k + 3k + 3k + 3k = 17k.

So were the pricing scheme true of the base being 4200 and the barrels/bolt being 2k then ultimately, the swap system itself, would be ballpark the PSR - Which is what I meant...But Mile High just said that wasn't true so, throw away my theory-crafting.

Masked I was asking about the AX308MC. Turns out Mile High posted about $6900 for that unit.

Glad it cleared up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say this, as much as the new features look great the heart is still the same pretty much; AW/AE MK3/PSR/AX/AT the action will feel almost identical and they all shoot awesome. I think when the "new" wears off some people will still hunt for older AW's and AX's

You might want to make sure you mean the Short Action not the new AX338.....

And people were saying closer to 2k for the caliber change kit....i.e. 300wm Barrel, Bolt, and Mag.

Mile high. Do you guys know if the long action version of these guns are going to use the large 30mm shank? Versus the smaller shank of the short action variants? And we know a .473" bolt face will be available for the LA, but will a Magnum bolt face be available for the SA?

WE don't have a rifle physically in the store, or I could give you more info. Here's what AI is stating on the AX:

308 cannot be converted to .300 or .338
.300 or .338 can be converted to .308, .300 or .338

We can then ascertain that a Mag bolt face will not be available for the S/A

Dave: Regarding caliber conversions, any hints from AI regarding a possible .223 boltface & conversion sometime in the future?

(incentive: a "yes" answer will lead to me buying 2 more rifles from you later this year to replace both my 6.5CM AE Mk3 and my .223 R700 in an AICS!)

Last edited:
Sounds like sound logic. I figured it would be too good to be true. I also forgot to check. When running the PSR as a 308 does the bolt stop short or is it like an M24 where you have a LONG bolt throw even though you are only using a 308?

As a PSR owner....not really. It does mean the draw on the weird template barrels is going to fucking suck though.

As another PSR owner... not really, for several reasons. Just doing some 'napkin math' as follows.
First, I just bought a cut to 'my length' (20") D. Tooley made, Bartlein barrel in 6.5CM with a AAC/Titan QD brake from Mile High ~1300$ delivered.
Using that as a barrel price reference,
And, using the base price of the AXMC Mag rifle just posted by Mile High @ $7735...
And, thence adding on all the other PSR 'kit' not in the Base rifle as follows: 2 barrels ($2600), 8 magazines ($800), 2 bolts ($1500), Hardigg case ($750), cleaning kit ($100), Ebers. rifle pak ($350), sling ($100), AI scope uni-mount ($350)... Total for an 'almost PSR' is $14,235...
I'm using a reasonably informed frame of reference on the prices, probably forgot to consider some other smalls.

The Federal Reserve is wrong-- deflation is a good thing which is how I view the price delta between my PSR and a cobble kit.
I'm pretty sure that the prices of the new guns are a reflection of the efficiencies learned by AI building and developing the PSR.

Think about this:
I've been shooting my PSR for more than a year.
I won't be waiting for the new gun variants to show up for however long to takes to build inventory.
I've already gotten to test the water with adding a fourth barrel in a caliber I've really come to appreciate.
I've dealt with some really great people (Thanks Eurooptic, Mile High, DTooley & AI) that I wouldn't have with just shooting my AW.

Just my $.02...

Sounds like sound logic. I figured it would be too good to be true. I also forgot to check. When running the PSR as a 308 does the bolt stop short or is it like an M24 where you have a LONG bolt throw even though you are only using a 308?

Full length just like a M24. Don't worry you wont really notice. I've had about 1k run through my .308 and I've yet to have a short stroke or feed problem with it.

Hmmm. I've shot the PSR with both 300 and 338 barrels but not 308.

I use my AX for 80% competition and speed does matter. I am really torn whether I sell my AX and buy a AX Mag or just buy an additional AT in 300 WM And keep my AX for a dedicated comp gun.

Dave: Regarding caliber conversions, any hints from AI regarding a possible .223 boltface & conversion sometime in the future?

(incentive: a "yes" answer will lead to me buying 2 more rifles from you later this year to replace both my 6.5CM AE Mk3 and my .223 R700 in an AICS!)

Hints are non existent at this point, however, it would be a wise move for AI to consider. I'll even be getting one if they do.....

Last edited:
Gi'day...

I cannot decide if I'm more excited or confused...

:)

I no what you mean. I'm feeling the same way. Also don't no what to do,should I keep my legacy rifle the gun the started everything my beloved 05 AW, or my new 13 AX.260, jeez I'm freeking out. Should I sell both?, or keep one. I'm not a rich man but I faught and saved long and hard for what I have.

Hints are non existent at this point, however, it would be a wise move for AI to consider. I'll even be getting one if they do.....

Dave, please keep bugging them. Last year I asked Tom Irwin a couple of times about possible .223 offerings in the future; he said while they were considering a .223 it wasn't near the top of their priority list.

I'd really like to see it move up in the queue, then all of my primary bolt actions can be AIs... :D

@Forweis
If I wasn't limited to 5 guns, I'd probably just save up for the long action but keep my short action AI. But with the limited amount of guns I can own, the long action AX + 308 kit is a sweet deal.
But if I were you I'd probably keep the AX because it'll be the most similar, assuming you want the long action AX, not the AT. For the short action, I personally wouldn't upgrade unless they offered more bolts+barrels (like short action mags or .223).

For .223, I can get a barrel, I can use the existing 223 AI plastic mags, I just need someone to machine and heat treat a bolt head to head space with the factory breach ring....

I know it would need an ejector and different extractor. Maybe a different diameter firing pin. Anyone ever thought of fabricating it?

I don't get the .223 thing, mil surp .308 for practice. Replicates full capacity recoil etc.

I don't want a .223, .223AI, or .204 Ruger for practice... I want it for high volume varmint shooting. But it would be good for practice too. :)

My current .223 R700 in an AICS is for high volume varmint shooting and also gets used as an "intermediate" rifle when I'm introducing a new shooter and want to give them something transitional between .22LR and the bigger rifles. The R700 works just fine but I would *strongly* prefer an AI action to match the feel & function of my 6.5 Creedmoor AE. :D

As I said earlier... if AI announced a .223 boltface & caliber conversion I would be in for 2 new rifles. Until they do I'll stick with what I have.

Last edited:
Mile High Shooting or anyone else know anything about the configurable pistol grip? Will these be available in 260?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yah I don't no why. But didn't really get too excited about the AT, I think id rather keep my AW, but you never no,aye when we get to see more pics il change my mind.

So Dave your saying that my current .243 aw barrel, and Ax .260 barrel will work on the Ax338mc?, assuming I buy a .308 bolt.

If the AX338mc is just a rebadged PSR, IT WILL NOT WORK. The barrel tenon is completely different.

So Dave your saying that my current .243 aw barrel, and Ax .260 barrel will work on the Ax338mc?, assuming I buy a .308 bolt.

AT's will take AW and AX current existing barrels.

AX S/A's will take AW and AX current existing barrels.

AX L/A's (Magnums) will only take large tennoned AX barrels, ie, new barrels 2014 and future

Also, you would need a new bolt head and mag adapter which AI does not currently have in stock, but should be available sometime in 2014.

AT's will take AW and AX current existing barrels.

AX S/A's will take AW and AX current existing barrels.

AX L/A's (Magnums) will only take large tennoned AX barrels, ie, new barrels 2014 and future

Also, you would need a new bolt head and mag adapter which AI does not currently have in stock, but should be available sometime in 2014.

Ok couple more questions, as far as the AT, it seems like that was the replacement for both AE and AW, correct? Also does the aw mags work on the AT?

Ahhh. Apologies.

In the 308 thread you asked if they were $6800. You were never corrected...Which lead 2/3 people after you to do some shitty math.

It was estimated prior to Mile High's posting that the setup itself was 4200 (folder + bla bla) and then the barrel.

Now that mile high has posted (Which I didn't see), a few of the original posts from this morning aren't there anymore.

So I apologize for the shitty information.

Also my comment @ the PSR do the math. PSR is @ $17000.

The kit comes with 3 bolts, 3 barrels, 9 mags and a chassis...Also a case.

So let's say the chassis is $8k, that means each "barrel/bolt/mag system" is 3k. 8k + 3k + 3k + 3k = 17k.

So were the pricing scheme true of the base being 4200 and the barrels/bolt being 2k then ultimately, the swap system itself, would be ballpark the PSR - Which is what I meant...But Mile High just said that wasn't true so, throw away my theory-crafting.

If you're a no shit serious buyer, people can work with you on pricing. Plus, only 100 were made to be sold to civs if I'm correct. 50 to Mile high & 50 to EuroOptic. I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on the PSR kit if I were put in the same situation.

Here's our thoughts on those who wish to trade in their existing AI rifles towards a new AI AT or AX.

Right now we have most of our staff in Las Vegas at the Shot Show to unveil the new AI rifles. So, with that in mind after shot show is over and we get a chance to review all the new AI rifle pricing and info, we will be sitting down together to determine what used pricing should be, both retail and wholesale. We also have to consider that we have existing inventory that we need to sell as well. AI has always produced an incredible rifle system, and there will be continued demand for older as well as the newer style rifles. And as always AI will continue to support the entire line, past and present of their rifles. But as of right now, we need to review what the market will hold as far as used rifles. So please bare with us as we go though this process. Also, please keep in mind that we have none of the new AT's or AX's currently in stock. Thanks

Dave and staff

does anyone think the old stock of AW308 will drop in price even more, such as the ones left at mile high shooting? because from what i can see the new rifles offer more for less $.
a fully loaded AW308 is still priced way over $6000. the new AX comes pretty much fully kitted out for $6900..

AI has told us that they plan on introducing LH models sometime in 2014.

I've been tasked by a guy that owns a Ford dealership in CO to get him a left handed AI, no matter what. Not kidding, his checkbook is ready. Any generation will do.

Here's our thoughts on those who wish to trade in their existing AI rifles towards a new AI AT or AX.

Also, please keep in mind that we have none of the new AT's or AX's currently in stock. Thanks

Dave and staff

Dave,

Thanks for keeping us informed as the introduction of the new 2014 AI rifles unfolds today. Any ballpark timeframe on when the AT will be available? Are we talking a few weeks or is it going to be the second half of 2014 before they are available?

Last edited:
Can someone in the know chime in about the design of the barrel lockup on the new 2014 barrel swap system please.

It looks like a super easy system and since AI designed it hopefully a strong one but maybe also a weakness making it prone to POI shifting with one screw holding the barrel in place.

I'm admittedly a little paranoid about POI shifts since having those problems before, long story.

Can someone in the know chime in about the design of the barrel lockup on the new 2014 barrel swap system please.

It looks like a super easy system and since AI designed it hopefully a strong one but maybe also a weakness making it prone to POI shifting with one screw holding the barrel in place.

I'm admittedly a little paranoid about POI shifts since having those problems before, long story.

So.....this is based on the PSR.

Once the barrels are broken in it seems to be a consistent shift. I.E. I have my .308win as the zero for my PSR, when I put my 300wm barrel I know I will need to dial .5mil down and .2mil right. Granted I only got it to be this consistent by using a torque wrench to do the side bolt vs the allen wrench that is included in the stock.