• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New build.. 204??

cj357

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Ohio
I need some help with a new rifle build; I want to build an AR15 type rifle for shooting paper out to about 300 yards. I have an A2 that I mounted a scope on and I can shoot about ¾ MOA 5 shot groups but I’m looking for something to shoot sub ½ MOA. I’m considering a 24 inch White Oak 204. But have no experience with a 204 so I’m unsure. Will the 204 be any more accurate than the 223 or just faster? and does anyone have any experience with the WOA 24 inch 204?

Re: New build.. 204??

http://www.6mmbr.com/20Caliber.html

Love mine. A 32 gr .204 pill drops and shifts less then a 55 gr .223 out to 300 yards. It's expensive. Less factory ammo to choose from compared to .223 so you might want to consider reloading. Deadly on small game out to 400 yards. Laser flat and super fast. Enjoy the show through your scope due to a bb gun-like recoil...

I have a 204 bolt action on a factory Savage 12 barreled action. The only upgrade is a Choate stock vs. the POS tupperware it came with.

Using handloads the rifle is routinely 1/2 MOA at 400yd with the 40gr Vmax and I've had the stars align a few times to print some groups in the 0.2's @ 100 and 200 yd.

For an AR15 the case length is a little long for my liking, a 20cal AR platform would push me to the 20-223 (aka 20 Practical) since it's a simple neck-n-load operation.

The loss in velocity is marginal vs. the larger case of the 204 Ruger.

I've found that the 32 and 40 Vmax's like to be close jumped to the lands, something that is hard to do in the gas gun at the case lengths of the 204.

With a 20 Practical reamer it's much easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For an AR15 the case length is a little long for my liking, a 20cal AR platform would push me to the 20-223 (aka 20 Practical) since it's a simple neck-n-load operation.
</div></div>

Go 20 TACTICAL, not PRACTICAL.

A smidge better than 204 Ruger, and they make proper brass and dies for it. And the brass is Lapua (Dakota head stamp). No case forming.

Easy as pie to load for, and it cycles like butter in an AR whereas 204 has been known to not cycle very well (a shoulder angle thing).

I have a 20 Tac in a single shot Cooper and LOVE it.