• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing new build, 243 or 6.5 or 6mm ?

cjmac1988

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
so wanting to start a new build but i dont know much bout 6mm or 6.5 creadmore. thought about 6.5x55, so whats the big difference between 6mm rem and 6.5 creadmore? i know the 6.5x55 would not be cheap to load for . the brass aint cheap .was just going to say heck with it and go with 243. but wanted something different

I wouldn't let the cost of brass dictate which cartridge i wanted. Pretty sure Laupa swede brass isn't any dearer than their .308 based stuff.

I'd choose 6.5 swede. But that's the romantic in me speaking :D

I reload for 6.5 Swede, and it's not particularly expensive. My vote: LA= 6.5x55; SA= 6 creed

I built a 6mm SLR for this reason. Uses cheap Winchester .243 brass, and I like it a lot.

Scotty, I watched your videos with Chuck (??) which was partly inspirational to my 6 super build, which was just delivered.

Was curious if you'd share load details...any and all if you're willing.

OP: You've got to [specifically] elaborate to us what you're looking to achieve with the new rifle. Be specific! Lots of great cartridges out there. Trick is to nail down what you want it to do, what you're willing to trade off, and what you're not.

thats what i was thinking , could be cheap and just get a rem 700 varmint , a just pick out a new stock . wish someone made a rifle in 6.5x55 with a heavy barrel

well the perfect build for me would be on a tikka action or a m77 , bull barrel , mcmillan a2 style stock ... its hard to find either one used and from what iv been hearing with a mcmilla stock and ruger m77 has to have something done so the safety will work. hate to buy a new one just for the action. i like the m77 for some odd reason

Was curious if you'd share load details...any and all if you're willing.

Sure. I have the medium SLR chamber and a 700 action. I load to mag length with 115 DTACs which is some distance (like 0.020") off the lands, and puts the boat-tail junction right at the neck junction. I use Winchester brass sorted for weight and annealed after the first firing. Fed 210M primers. I actually run the load that Robert Whitley initially recommends: 43.0gr H4831SC.

I've tried different charges, H1000, and stuff, and I kept coming back to this load. Does it work? Well, I have not done a lot of 700+ yard shooting with it (other than the videos and the Cup), but I have done a fair bit of 700 and in at small targets (think varmints). It's a hammer. I've won the last several local silhouette matches with it, mostly fireforming new brass (same load with a partial size to form the neck and get headspace). I'm on ~800rds and rolling along....

On another note (OP), my buddy Chuck is setting his 6.5 Creedmoor back for the second time at ~7000 rds (over 3000 at the first setback), he shoots 123's and 139's and doesn't firewall it. That's pretty impressive in and of itself if barrel life means anything to you.

To answer the OPs questions more directly:

6mm Remington has the performance edge over nearly all 6mm cartridges, certainly over 243 and 6creed. It has a nice long neck and a modern-esque sharp shoulder, which is nice. During non-reloading component "crunch time", 6mm Rem brass is inexpensive and available. The downside is not many brass choices, and it doesn't really fit a short action when loaded with long high BC bullets, unless you stuff them deep, which consumes case capacity - in which case there is no particular advantage over the more prolific 6mm cartridges.

243 has proven itself time and again. It has just about the right amount of horsepower for our game, and hitting ~3100fps with heavy bullets.

The 6creed has really gained popularity. For good reason, because it's a nice modern design with low body of paper, sharp shoulder etc etc...but just as the 30TC is roughly equal to the 308, and the 6.5creed is roughly equal to the 260, the 6creed is roughly equal to a 243.

The key advantage to the creed case is when used in an autoloader, with a hard limit on OAL ~2.810".

The Swede is a fine cartridge also, with a shade more horsepower for the ~140gr 6.5 bullets. Lapua brass for it is actually pretty cheap! Downsides are that again, it is a little too long for a short action, plus the body has a lot of taper due to its archaic design. It stretches a lot every firing. Personally, I've no particular love for the 6.5x55, but I DO harbor lust for the improved versions of it!

Sure. I have the medium SLR chamber and a 700 action. I load to mag length with 115 DTACs which is some distance (like 0.020") off the lands, and puts the boat-tail junction right at the neck junction. I use Winchester brass sorted for weight and annealed after the first firing. Fed 210M primers. I actually run the load that Robert Whitley initially recommends: 43.0gr H4831SC.

I've tried different charges, H1000, and stuff, and I kept coming back to this load. Does it work? Well, I have not done a lot of 700+ yard shooting with it (other than the videos and the Cup), but I have done a fair bit of 700 and in at small targets (think varmints). It's a hammer. I've won the last several local silhouette matches with it, mostly fireforming new brass (same load with a partial size to form the neck and get headspace). I'm on ~800rds and rolling along....

On another note (OP), my buddy Chuck is setting his 6.5 Creedmoor back for the second time at ~7000 rds (over 3000 at the first setback), he shoots 123's and 139's and doesn't firewall it. That's pretty impressive in and of itself if barrel life means anything to you.

Thanks. Do you know your velocity?

Mine has the long chamber, and the 105 hybrid kisses @ 2.890. The intent was to create more boiler room, hoping to use H1000 to get me to ~3100fps. This is a 26" barrel.

Didn't happen. I loaded from 46.5-->48.5gr and got 2875-->3000fps. 48.5gr required a drop tube and was still compressed a bit.

So far only 35 rounds through, but everything was shooting ~3/8 moa, maybe a shade better.

Trying to decide if I want to stick with ~2950fps with H1000 or turn up the heat with some H4831sc or H4350. All the 6creed folks run ~42gr h4350 for ~3100-3150fps. The SLR is almost the same...

it seems like the 6mm rem a 243 are more low maintenance than others. i know a guy with a m77 varmint in 243 'thay dont make anymore' its a freaking tack driver . 300 yards if the most yet for him

115 with H4831SC velocity to fit the models is 2975-3000ish, chronographs show much the same. 25-inch barrel. Was hoping for more originally, but it hits what I point it at and is fun. I'll take the stability of the load over higher velocity.

Mine has the long chamber, and the 105 hybrid kisses @ 2.890. The intent was to create more boiler room, hoping to use H1000 to get me to ~3100fps. This is a 26" barrel.

Didn't happen. I loaded from 46.5-->48.5gr and got 2875-->3000fps. 48.5gr required a drop tube and was still compressed a bit.

So far only 35 rounds through, but everything was shooting ~3/8 moa, maybe a shade better.

Trying to decide if I want to stick with ~2950fps with H1000 or turn up the heat with some H4831sc or H4350. All the 6creed folks run ~42gr h4350 for ~3100-3150fps. The SLR is almost the same...

The bad thing about H4350 and the 6SLR is that it'll burn up the tube quicker. I was able to push 3050fps out of a 24" barrel with 47.4grn H1000. But different barrels act differently. I'm certain with H4831sc 3200fps would be pretty easy to hit. If I use what i'd mentioned to you, i can hit 3150 very easily. ;)

xdeano

Id stick with the 6 creed. Can get great brass for a really reasonable cost, and its a great round.

I have a 6.5x55AI, I haven't got to shoot it yet but if it is anything like its little brother I am currently shooting , 260AI, it will be flat out awesome.

I'm doing a M77 build right now. I choose Mcmillian a3 hunter. They inlet for that action so nothing has to be done. I chose 7mm-08. Broughton barrel. PTG is just starting production on m77 BDM. I ordered one of those too. Pretty sure I was the first (besides ruger that is). A lot of guys hate the action. Aftermarket parts aren't abundant but there is quality stuff for them. Good luck.

where is a few places to get after market parts ? and the mk2 might be a good idea, sell the stock and get a mcmillan m40 style

+1 on the .260 Remington. Here is a group with my Surgeon .260 Rem..... This is normal too...

qehe6y5e.jpg

was just going to say heck with it and go with 243. but wanted something different

6XC.

Norma factory brass. 115DTAC's (Stellar BC) and higher velocity than .243. Check out the ballistics. It's different!

When I've shot out my .243 that's the route I'm going. Thought about 6SLR, but no factory cases.

N

This topic comes up quite a bit. Basically performance differences, brass cost/life, etc are all marginal. If you have a short-action with DBM and want 6.5 get a Creed. If you want a 6mm go .243 Win.

Forget the x55 and 6mm Rem. I've been that route and it sucks in a short action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk