• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New build

gnappi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
I have an older Winchester model 70 XTR with a magnum bolt face that I'm going to build for long range (200-500 yds initially and possibly for use up to 1000 yds. later on) and have some issues to solve before I start.

I am leaning toward the 7mag as I can launch some reasonhable ~160 grain bullets with fairly high BC's at reasonable velocity. I figure that if I can keep velocity to around 3000 fps I'll get decent barrel life? What experiences do you guys have with barrel life at 3k fps or so?

My scopes of choice both have ~47 +/- MOA (internal adjustment, since none of my ballistic tables go beyond 500 yards, the only info I found on bullet drop suggests a 180 inch drop at 1k yds with a 600 yard zero. Would a +20 MOA mount provide sufficient elevation adjustment?

Barrel makers. I could use recommendations from MAJOR PLAYERS, like Shilen, Hart, Douglas, Lilja etc) NOT mom and pop SHOPS.

Barrel material? I prefer Stainless? Any reason why not?

I'm also leaning toward a "target" barrel without flutes, and a slight taper as opposed to a straight no taper barrel with flutes. Are there any good reasons to go heavier no taper with flutes other than fluting giving some more surface area for cooling?

I really appreciate any info you folks can provide.

TIA,

Gary

Re: New build

Kreiger or Bartlein on the barrel. Forget Lilja, they won't stand behind their product. Just my personal choices. Hope this helps.

Regards, Paul.

Also dont go near a Shilen, you may get lucky with a good one but these days I would be shocked!

I would say 7mm Mag at around 3K will get you between 1800-2200 rounds. Maybe 2500 or so if you take your time between shots and don't heat it up too much.

For longevity you deffinately need to go stainless. Traditional chrome moly can be blued and looks great with a walnut stock but for best longevity and rust resistance definately stainless.

Your 20 MOA base should be plenty to gey your scope out to a thousand.

Any of the A list barrel makers should be fine. You need to select what you want and then decide on a barrel maker.

If you want fluting Hart offers several choices.

Broughton doesn't like to flute they charge 175.00 (aka we don't like to flute.)

If you want gain twist check out Bartlein.

If you want 3 groove Pacnor is well known for that.

For 5r Rifling Bartlein, Rock Creek, and Broughton are great. Krieger charges $30 extra.

I would no go straight fluted. I would definately get tapperd except on a bechrest gun. Way to front heavy for anything else.

If you want it nice and heavy save your money and skip to flutes.

Personally I have had great luck with Hart, Broughton, and Krieger. I have seen no difference between cut or button rifling.

I've never tried gain twist. It is over my head.

I do like the 5c /5R rifling. But wont pay extra for what other companies do standard.

If I were you, I would just get the barrel with the fastest lead time, and /or whatever your gunsmith recommends. On the off chance that your rifle won't shoot you don't want your gunsmith to say that you didn't use the products he recommends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swampbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say 7mm Mag at around 3K will get you between 1800-2200 rounds. Maybe 2500 or so if you take your time between shots and don't heat it up too much.

For longevity you deffinately need to go stainless. Traditional chrome moly can be blued and looks great with a walnut stock but for best longevity and rust resistance definately stainless.

If I were you, I would just get the barrel with the fastest lead time, and /or whatever your gunsmith recommends. On the off chance that your rifle won't shoot you don't want your gunsmith to say that you didn't use the products he recommends. </div></div>

Thanks much!!!

I have known a couple of guys who used Hart a long time ago, it's good to see they maintained their reputation.

I'll be chatting with them this coming week.