• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

nice.... range report :cool:

Yes sir, hope to be working on it tomorrow and Sunday and have something posted here beginning of the week, also have a GAP10 in 6 CM that just arrived.
Two GAP rifles in as many weeks, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!
Sendero_Man, Thank you as well. The timing of this thread worked out perfect for me and my rifle.

This round sounds very interesting. Any idea what the future holds for it in the way of manufacturer support? Specifically match ammo, dies, factory brass?

Also has anyone done any testing with SMKs or A Max bullets? If so what were the results?

This round sounds very interesting. Any idea what the future holds for it in the way of manufacturer support? Specifically match ammo, dies, factory brass?

Also has anyone done any testing with SMKs or A Max bullets? If so what were the results?

No factory brass and brass that is around at 338 laupa prices is whats holding me back. Really hopes this takes off.

You will be waiting for a long time..... unless you want to make a order with Nosler, direct. They want a minimum order of 100k pieces and you will wait a year or more!

No factory brass and brass that is around at 338 laupa prices is whats holding me back. Really hopes this takes off.

The brass isnt what is expensive, it's the prep that goes into the brass that makes it expensive. You can buy remington brass for a lot less then a 338LM.

you're welcome !

Hard to keep something this good a secret !

I think this thing will spread like wildfire! This is a fun rifle to shoot!

fdwt3a.jpg

Started at a 100 yards with Copper Creek Ammo loaded up with 140gr Berger Hybrids; shot #1 was low, adjusted up and shots #2 - #6 made a nice ½ moa 5 shot group and as long as I did my part right I continued to shoot ½ moa and less with many 3 shot groups in the same hole just slightly enlarged. I could easily see all my hits with this set up, it is so easy to stay on target and at the same time you can feel this cartridge has a lot of down range energy.

zxm8e9.jpg

Had steel plates set up at 685 yards and only used 11.5 moa adjustment to hit it over and over again would have like to shoot farther out but that will have to wait until next week end.

kcgmcw.jpg

I am just getting introduced to this new wildcat and I am very impressed with the GAP 6.5 saum! I’m finding that it is every thing that they said it is and maybe even more. The rifle performed flawlessly using AI wsm mags, and Copper Creek Ammo is excellent Ammo.
My GAP 6.5 saum, is my new favorite bolt rifle!

Bone Collector, I love your shooting spot. Wish I had a place like that to shoot!!! This Cartridge is amazing and I have had nobody yet tell me anything other than its my new favorite caliber.

I have been shooting for years and have had hundreds of rifles and have shot 10,000 + rifles of various calibers and design and its my favorite.

I can tell you that next year when the pressure is off the manufacturers I will negotiate hard for this to become available in factory brass!! Loaded ammo will be harder but Copper Creek and others will load it alot faster and tons cheaper if there is factory brass.

George,

Due to lack of available powders, I was looking at a powder burn chart and noted that Ramshot Magnum is right next to H1000 in burn rate. Have you or anyone else tried Magnum with the 6.5 4S?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting mine!

Marty

Hi Marty,

Ramshot Magnum is on my next list to test. I have had success with H831sc, Retumbo, H1000. I would also consider superformance as it may be more readily available.

Cheers,
BY

Bone Collector, I love your shooting spot. Wish I had a place like that to shoot!!! This Cartridge is amazing and I have had nobody yet tell me anything other than its my new favorite caliber.

I have been shooting for years and have had hundreds of rifles and have shot 10,000 + rifles of various calibers and design and its my favorite.

I can tell you that next year when the pressure is off the manufacturers I will negotiate hard for this to become available in factory brass!! Loaded ammo will be harder but Copper Creek and others will load it alot faster and tons cheaper if there is factory brass.

It is a great shooting spot! I love it too! It’s my home away from home, at my good friends Jim and his wife Benda’s place along the Laramie River north of Wheatland Wyoming. Jim told me to let you know that your welcome to come over and shoot any time!

And when you start getting those big brown barrels of GAP 6.5 saum brass rolling in at your place, please have me high on the list for 2 thousand peace's, because I’m sure by then I will have at least 2 very hungry rifles!

Thanks again George!!!

Twist Specs

First time poster, but long time reader

Why is the barrel spec'd to 8.7 twist?

BergerTech support answered as follows:

My question to Berger:
I have been reading abou the 6.5 SAUM 4S that GA Precision is using in their Xtreme Hunter rifle
Xtreme Hunter
New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/157837-6-5-saum-questions.html

George Gardner is using a 8.7 twist barrel.
Your website recommends 8 twist.

Does higher velocity make the need for a fast twist less?

Berger Repy:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Berger Bullets. *Bullet velocity does not have the impact on stability that some people would have some believe. *Our testing indicates that the rotational velocity does have a much greater impact on bullet stability than bullet velocity will. *Saying this, you should still be okay with the 1:8.7” twist. *The only way to know for sure, however, is to try some of the bullets in question, and you will have to let load testing, and evaluation, be your guide in determining the final outcome of your needs."

First time poster, but long time reader

Why is the barrel spec'd to 8.7 twist?

BergerTech support answered as follows:

My question to Berger:
I have been reading abou the 6.5 SAUM 4S that GA Precision is using in their Xtreme Hunter rifle
Xtreme Hunter
New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/157837-6-5-saum-questions.html

George Gardner is using a 8.7 twist barrel.
Your website recommends 8 twist.

Does higher velocity make the need for a fast twist less?

Berger Repy:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Berger Bullets. *Bullet velocity does not have the impact on stability that some people would have some believe. *Our testing indicates that the rotational velocity does have a much greater impact on bullet stability than bullet velocity will. *Saying this, you should still be okay with the 1:8.7” twist. *The only way to know for sure, however, is to try some of the bullets in question, and you will have to let load testing, and evaluation, be your guide in determining the final outcome of your needs."

My F Class Open rifle has a 1~9 twist on it. Its a Hammer with 140 Berger VLD's. 1-8.7 is perfect for this rifle and every bullet out there. The main reason we are keeping it on the looser twist side is it reduces pressure.

I'm down for brass if a manufacturer wants to pump it out. Im shooting around 400 rounds of 6.5 SAUM a week, easily!

My F Class Open rifle has a 1~9 twist on it. Its a Hammer with 140 Berger VLD's. 1-8.7 is perfect for this rifle and every bullet out there. The main reason we are keeping it on the looser twist side is it reduces pressure.

Thank you George.
I probably missed finding your reloading specs. How far off of the lands are you seating the 140 & 130 Berger VLD's?

Damn at 400 rounds a week I would have thought you would have already cooked a couple tubes by now.

I can spread the firing over a few platforms so I am not worried about it. I just love to shoot the caliber, I can't help myself.

2rghymh.jpg

1k yards - 5 shots - the right hit is actually 2 that are touching. The top hit was my initial sighter while I was confirming dope. Made a correct and fired the group!
To say this combo of rifle builder and ammo (Copper Creek) is accurate is a vast understatement!

I can spread the firing over a few platforms so I am not worried about it. I just love to shoot the caliber, I can't help myself.

2rghymh.jpg

1k yards - 5 shots - the right hit is actually 2 that are touching. The top hit was my initial sighter while I was confirming dope. Made a correct and fired the group!
To say this combo of rifle builder and ammo (Copper Creek) is accurate is a vast understatement!

thats (funny)!!

2rghymh.jpg

Wow...nice shooting.

I think I found my next build.

Here's the stupidest question of the thread. How do you pronounce SAUM? Sam or Say-um?

Dies

What worries me is I have everything I need except dies. I'm afraid I will have the rifle before I can get the dies.
I understand Gap and Copper Creek have them on order but does anyone know how much long before they start showing up?

What worries me is I have everything I need except dies. I'm afraid I will have the rifle before I can get the dies.
I understand Gap and Copper Creek have them on order but does anyone know how much long before they start showing up?

Earlier this week Redding said we would have our order in 2-3 weeks. The dies are cut and being hardened. then they are just polished, packaged and shipped to us. We have a few sets left not spoken for....

[email protected]

If you'd like more information.

Here's the stupidest question of the thread. How do you pronounce SAUM? Sam or Say-um?

Technically, if built by GAP it's called the 6.5 4S. I think we are just referring to it as the SAUM to keep everything straight and organized.

I'd be all over this one if the lead times weren't too long at GAP. I know I can have others chamber a rifle, but I'd rather go to the initial light bulb shop. Damn it!!!!!

Lead times are not long for the Xtreme hunter, In fact there is a batch of 12 finishing up now.

Ive got a couple customs going through the shop as well.

Papa if you look at this Picture too long you will be persuaded to buy one!! LOL

407456729.jpg

[MENTION=393]A10XRIFLE[/MENTION] How do you think the SAUM case with H1000 would work in 6mm vs 6.5mm? 115's at like 3450 would be sweet even though you would have to back it down a bit for comps. You think that you would maybe run into issues forming brass down to 6mm from .30 cal? Probably best to go 7SAUM down I guess.

I think you are going to loose a lot of necks on your brass stepping it down to 6mm. Seems insignificant but the brass is compressed quite a bit already going down to 6.5
I wouldn't push your luck on it. But if George can secure a manufacturer of brass..... I would definitely try necking it down from 6.5 to 6mm at that point.

I think you are going to loose a lot of necks on your brass stepping it down to 6mm. Seems insignificant but the brass is compressed quite a bit already going down to 6.5
I wouldn't push your luck on it. But if George can secure a manufacturer of brass..... I would definitely try necking it down from 6.5 to 6mm at that point.

Yeah I was thinking about that route if he ever got brass made in 6.5SAUM as that shouldn't be too much of a step down. I would think 7SAUM to 6 wouldn't be too much of a step either but I have no experience in forming brass either.