• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing New gear to buy

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
Well I finally spent a few bucks on a November Elk/ Mule deer hunt in Montana and I need some gear. Looking for some feedback from you guys. Thanks in advance.

1. 4500cu +/- backpack- looking @ Eberlestock
2. below 0 lightweight sleeping bag??
3. Swarovski EL binocs.

I have some other things to buy but these are the bigger ticket items.

Re: New gear to buy

Cant go wrong with Eberlestock Packs. I would recommend the Dragonfly or Just One.

And Swaros are great binos.

I hunt CO and use the Cabela's Alaska Guide bag. The mummy is considerably warmer than the square bottom. I've never been cold in this bag even when it got drenched. IIRC, it is a -40 dF bag filled with down.

P

Pack: Kifaru or Eberlestock. I'm a Kifaru junky so I recommend them first, but I've been impressed with Eberlestock's layout as well. Kifaru packs are the most comfortable packs I've ever worn though. That's compared to Gregory's, Eberlestocks, and Kelty's.

Sleeping bag: Are you sleeping in a tent? I've gone back and forth between down and synthetic, and in the end settled on down. It's the best for light and warm. I highly recommend Western Mountaineering. I've decided that a quality tent that is staked properly is going to keep your gear dry 95% of the time so I go with the benefits of down, and I hunt the San Juan National "Rain" Forest...as I like to call it.

Can't beat Swaros, but you might consider a bino/laser combo unit. Swaro EL Range is out, but I don't know how available.

I really like my X3 LowDrag Eberlestock though it's not big enough for what you're asking. There are others that are larger and should suit you well. My needs aren't for a pack that big so I bought a medium sized one.

FOr a bag I've really grown to like the surplus .mil ones with a 3 layer system plus Goretex. Not the lightest but for flexibility and warmth in all conditions it does a great job. You can get them cheaper than commercial options that have the same spec list.

Check out the Blue Widow, by Eberlestock. It would suit you well for a spike camp pack with the purchase of the spike duffels, but can also be easily reverted back to a day pack that works well for bow or rifle. Pack your camp in with it, loose the baggage, and hunt from it day to day like any other day pack.

I would definitely opt for the new EL Ranges if I was spending that much on binocs already. 10x42 would be my preference.

Check out Mystery Ranch packs, they're made in Bozeman, MT. They cost a little more than the Eberlestock packs though. I have two of each brand, can't go wrong with either but I'd give the edge to MR when it comes to hauling heavy loads.

For backpacks.. are you wanting one with a scabbard attached? Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock are all good quality packs. I have the Blue Widow, as mentioned above, and really wish that I had gotten the Dragonfly instead. I do not know the name of my Mystery Ranch pack but I like it a lot better than my Eberlestock. Both are comfortable packs. One of my hunting buddies has a Kifaru (longbow?) and it is really nice as well.

Binos... I really like 12x binos. Swaro came out with a set this year in EL's. Meopta makes a high quality set and so does Zeiss. Swaro's are better but more $$$.

Sleeping bags...We always use tents. I have a Cabelas bag that I got several years ago and I bought the outfitters canvas cover for it. I do like it and have no real complaints with it. My main hunting partner bought a bag a few years ago that has like a 1.5 to 2 inch pad built into it. This makes a huge difference because it gives you some padding but it also insulates you off of the ground (don't use an air mattress because it gets cold and is like sleeping on a block of ice). If you use a pillow don't use regular cotton pillow cases because they get cold.

I think there is enough said on packs. I use a wiggy bag and like them alot. Not as light as down but they hold up well and dry out quick if they get wet. I use Swaro SLC 8x30 binnos and have never needed anything else. I tried a buddys EL's and found the EL's had better color transmission but they were very similar in contrast and clarity. I hunt primarily in Alaska and Nebraska.