• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Gradous Elk Hunting Build

Painless300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Rome, GA
Finally picked up my Elk Hunting rig last weekend from Rob Gradous. Rifle was done 6 weeks ago and Rob was kind enough to order me a 44mm Z6 it just took that long to get here from Germany!!
This rifle loves 208 A-Max with H1000 and Fed 215, unfortunately it does not like Bergers or Accubonds with H1000, ran about 75 rounds and really never found anything better than 1-3/4". I will try to work up a load with some Barnes TSX as soon as possible otherwise Ill just stick with the A-Max.
Going to Cody Wyoming this September so there will be a lot of range time between now and then!!

Build Specs:
300 WM
Magnum Stiller Predator
Bartlein 5R, #3, 1-10 Twist, 26" before break
Jewel Trigger
McMillan Hunters Edge
Vias Break
Z6 2.5x15 44mm Ballistic Turret
Ken Farrell Steel Rings (Low)
FDE Cerakote Metal
Air Dry Cerakote on the stock

Rifle weighed in at 9.5lbs with the Z6 and stock bag

Recoil really isn't as bad as I thought although I'm not recoil sensitive.

I love this rifle!!!! Rob is the man.

photo1_zps563363bc.jpg

Left the bolt the way it came, action is smooth as butter even comparing to my Surgeon.

photo2_zpsb8c02574.jpg
:cool:

photo3_zps9cbb626b.jpg

Can barely see the break line, and we had to really stuff this barrel into this Hunters Edge stock. Robs craftsmanship is just top notch

photo4_zpsa235bbe8.jpg

Last four shoot group, the flyer on the right was the first clean bore shot.

photo5_zps19176d7e.jpg

I will be in the Bridger-Teton Forest between Jackson and Yellowstone in October myself. Also working on a 300 WSM for that hunt. Soooo pumped! Nice rig and good luck to you!

Im hunting the bridger teton with non typical outfitters in October on the long range hunting.com group hunt. Russell at scout supply company is building me a 338 lapua imp at the moment for this hunt. I'm surprised that you cant get better groups with a variety of bullets from that rifle. I would think it would be sub moa with about anything you feed it. I'm a big fan of the 208s though so if it is gonna shoot one good thats a good one to shoot. Beautiful rifle man

Thanks for the kind words. If anyone has reloaded Barmes TSX 180 using H1000 or RL22 please comment, I'm trying to find a good hunting load. I've heard the H1000 is not as temp sensitive as the RL22.

Really a fantastic build - congrats and good luck on your elk hunt. I'll be in Wyoming about that time chasing antelopes.
I hope to be able to have Robert build me the ultimate hunting rifle in 7MM-08 one of these days, I'm in the parts collecting mode now but he sure does build a nice rifle!!

Nice Rifle! Glad to see Robert is still putting them out with his high standards instead of compromising his quality to satisfy demand.

Nice Rifle! Glad to see Robert is still putting them out with his high standards instead of compromising his quality to satisfy demand.

Yep he will not rush anything that would compromise his high standards, and he will not anyone rush him either, but once he gets to your project he listens very close to what your uses will be and what your looking for and only then will he make suggestions only if he thinks it will better your build.
This is my second build with Rob, Ive made the 3-1/2 hour drive four times and spent long hours with him in his shop, he makes you feel right at home. As long as he is working I will go no where else for my builds!

Try 76.5gr of H-1000 with 190 Berger @ 3.55" this load shoots great in both my 300wm, one has a Kreiger 1-10" and other is Obermeyer 1-10" different reamers too. If the 208 amax shoots I would give the 200gr Accubonds a try too, that's what I use in my 300rum for elk.

Good luck on the hunt, you'll be in some amazing country!

Try 76.5gr of H-1000 with 190 Berger @ 3.55" this load shoots great in both my 300wm, one has a Kreiger 1-10" and other is Obermeyer 1-10" different reamers too. If the 208 amax shoots I would give the 200gr Accubonds a try too, that's what I use in my 300rum for elk.

Good luck on the hunt, you'll be in some amazing country!

thanks for for the load I'll give it a try, how off the lands do you seat your Accubonds?

I shoot 200gr Accubonds in a 300 ultramag. I load them to magazine length in a factory Rem 700, so I'm not sure how far off the lands they are.

That's a whole lot of rifle for only 9.5# with scope! Glad you're not recoil sensitive.

I'm hunting the same general area with Wyoming Expeditions opening week Sept 2015. Was supposed to go last year, but my dad couldn't make it, and outfitter was nice enough to let us reschedule. Russell at Scout Supply Co built me a 300 WSM on Stiller for the trip. Gonna run 180 Nosler Accubonds for elk.

Good luck on your hunt.

That's a whole lot of rifle for only 9.5# with scope! Glad you're not recoil sensitive.

I'm hunting the same general area with Wyoming Expeditions opening week Sept 2015. Was supposed to go last year, but my dad couldn't make it, and outfitter was nice enough to let us reschedule. Russell at Scout Supply Co built me a 300 WSM on Stiller for the trip. Gonna run 180 Nosler Accubonds for elk.

Good luck on your hunt.

You can tell me that in person! I am on the exact same hunt with Jeff Kruger. Wow what a small world. Have you been on any of Jeffs hunts? This will be my first.

Just got back from the range yesterday and finally got the 210 Berger Hunting VLD to shoot decent.
Just had to change the seating depth to .005 off the lands and its starting to come together.
74g of H1000
Fed 215
Norma Brass
2775 FPS

Still going to monkey around a little more and see if I can get these groups under 1/4"

Great thing about the Bergers is the BC is almost the same as the A-Max 208.

A few Pics:

photo1_zps9b2af15f.jpg

photo2_zpsfc052005.jpg

photo1_zps7a271f8c.jpg

photo2_zps23826c40.jpg

That dog hunts...!
Very nice stick sir...
I built a M70 in .300 WM,many years back...But foolishly, I thought I wanted a lightweight rig...
All up,with a Leopold 1.5-5 ,it came in at 7lbs,2 oz's...with no brake...!
It was brutal, and cured me of my craving for a 30 magnum...until now...!
Your build has that craving coming back...lol!

Have you tried Ramshot Magnum with the 200 grain bullets? It has worked better than H1000 for me in my 300wm with the same bbl.

How long was Roberts turnaround time?

I can stand about 80 rounds before the shoulder starts getting a little sore but with the Vias break it's not bad. Once I finalize my load I'll pull the break and see how much the POA changes, then I'm sure I'll feel it.

Last edited:
Have you tried Ramshot Magnum with the 200 grain bullets? It has worked better than H1000 for me in my 300wm with the same bbl.

How long was Roberts turnaround time?

I have only tried RE22 and H1000 so far if I can find the Ramshot I'll give it a go.

Robert is very busy, in fact I've been trying get intouch with him this week to let him know I found a good hunting load because he was worried the barrel did like anything but the A-Max.
You can plan on waiting about a year, but it's worth the wait especially if you can spend 3 days in Georgia and help/watch him build your rifle. His work is as close to perfection as it gets and he will go above and beyond to make sure your satisfied. As I understand most any quality smith has extremely long wait times so you might as well choose the best one IMO.
Give him a call to get inline and start buying parts!