• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes "New" IOR Scopes, Input/Reviews

kill_goose

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
MT
I find myself somewhat in the market for a new scope.

I figure, if im gonna do it im gonna make the jump to mil/mil for sure, and possibly FFP. Id love to be able to get a NF, but $1800'ish is out of the question. And with NF's Nazi like control over its distributors, getting a "deal" on a new one is scarcer than hens teeth.

Used, well its an option, but I prefer to stay away from used optics. Once burned twice shy type of deal.

Ive been researching the snot out of IOR. And having spoken with several distributors now, it seems IOR doesnt have an iron curtain like grip on its dealers when it comes to "suggested retail" price.

From what ive gathered, the early IOR FFP models (2008 and prior or so) had some serious issues.

But, im not getting much info on the new stuff as far as reliability goes (everyone raves about the glass quality). Is it safe to assume that silence on the issue means safety?

Specifically, im looking at the 3.5-18x50, mil/mil, FFP with the illuminated MP8 modified dot reticle.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: "New" IOR Scopes, Input/Reviews

If you are looking for a dealer I would highly suggest contacting Scott at Liberty Optics - great guy with very good pricing.

With regards to the FFP 3-18 IOR I had one and really liked it. It was actually an early one but I had no issues with it. Only minor gripe was the turret feel was a little mushy. I am in the minority but I prefer the SFP version of the scope - I like the smaller dot at higher magnification. For me the FFP has never been a huge selling point but I don't do competitions and I always use laser rangefinder for ranging. But if I were wanting an FFP scope it would be at the top of the list. Have not heard anything bad about the newer generation scopes.

I have the 3x18x50 and I am very happy with it. No problems so far after 14 months. I also have a Vortex Razor HD 5x20. The Vortex is a great scope and i like it also. The one thing it has over thr IOR is the "VIP warranty" that is in writing. It is my understanding the IOR will stand behind their products, but nice to have it in writing.

The IOR is alot clearer, yes their glass is some of the best. Also I really like the 10mil per revolution on the IOR instead of the 5 per rev on the vortex.

Yes they had some problems years ago, and they are trying to build their name back.

I also have a 2x10 IOR on a .308 AR and it also is performing perfect.

Thanks for the info guys.

Keep em coming if ya got em!

I have had that exact scope for a while now. I am seriously contemplating replacing the NF on my TRG42 with it. My only gripe is the turrent feel which is mushy compared to my NF. The MP-8 reticle is spectacular. The glass is much better than NF IMO.

I must admit that the scope went back to Valdada just after I purchased it as there were internal metal shavings that appeared afer its first outing. The scope was back to me in under a week and has been perfect since. Their CS is first rate as others will attest.

If you decide to buy you must call Scotty at Liberty optics. He is first rate.

I have the MOA/SFP version of the scope you are interested in. I really like everything about it. My windage knob felt a bit mushy too......Emailed Scott at liberty and he explained to me that it was just the grease packed into it and nothing to worry about. Give him a call, he is great to work with.

I've used IOR for over 10yrs. I didn't have any of he problems some did in the earlier days. I have the newer 3-18 and think it's the best in it's price range. Glass is outstanding. One my only complaint's is the coating. The earlier IOR's were anodized which was more durable than the soft coating now used. The other is the reticle thickness, if they would only make one finer. I'm also not smart enough to figure or take time to get the 2nd zero stop to work
smile.gif

I have one of the genIV 3-18x42 FFP IORs that has been very good....there are 2 in the used section priced well. Sorry no experience with the new 50mm. Don't be afraid of used as long as it is from a reputable manufacturer. Every one of my USO's was bought used and IOR stands behind their stuff pretty good as well. What about a SS 5-20? I bought one last year and it is a solid optic too. If you are set on IOR and want new several good hide vendors carry them....Liberty and Deltaoutdoorsman come to mind.

Howdy-
I have one of the newest 3.5-18 models, and I'm very pleased. The new digital illumination is great, and yes, the glass quality makes me feel a little sorry for the Nightforce on my main rifle.
My only gripe is the coarse reticle. It needs to be at least 30% finer.
All in all though, I am very pleased.
Cheers... Jim

I tried one of the new models at SHOT, I think it was a protype

If I had a set of vice grips It might have been easier to turn the knobs.

Lets hope the work out the kinks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried one of the new models at SHOT, I think it was a protype

If I had a set of vice grips It might have been easier to turn the knobs.

Lets hope the work out the kinks. </div></div>

Details?

Thanks for the mentions, guys. The Gen 4 IORs are at the top in terms of the least number of returns in the last couple of years. In 2012 they are poised to have a great year by offering a lot of long range scope options at a fair price and some models nobody even has yet.

As someone who started out in 2003 selling these, I can say these aren't your older brothers IORs!! It's a brand that makes a lot of customers very happy now.

Scott

I have the 3.5-18X50 mil/mil. The digital illumination is terrific and the while the zero isnt as innovative as say March it works perfectly fine. The glass of course is great as IOR is known for.

I do agree with Jim the reticle could be finer for sure. I have even thought about selling mine just because of the thick reticle. Most people love it but I just find it difficult some times. Most of the time its okay but every once in a while it bothers me.

So overall its a great scope with tons of features with top end glass for a nice price.

Last but not least talk to LIBERTYOPTICS! Scott is terrific and I cant think you could get a better deal or deal with a better person that Scott. Good luck

Steve

Well I reckon I will pretty much second what everyone else has said about quality, zero problem, nice digital illumination ect. However I do think my idea of the glass on mine (3.5-18X50 mil/mil ffp) being great might be biased on my part as the only competition for it is a Red field and a Luepy riffleman in the safe. I had one small issue (seen others post about too) with the indicator for the secondary impact ring would contact the main tube before the zero stop would bottom out and reach zero. A few stokes of the wifey's fingernail file removed the extra material and problem solved. The only "legit problem" I have with this scope is the operator behind it (me)
blush.gif

Lastly, Scott @ liberty was very patient with all my questions and does great business.

Is it the just a portion of the reticle that is illuminated? Or is the whole thing lit up?

On my model the entire reticle is illuminated, however I think the newer models the center dot is illuminated.

Im sure Scott can chime in on this as he will have a definite answer.

Steve

Entire reticle on 3-18 digital.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I might have to call up this Scott guy.
wink.gif

Killgoose,

I know you hunt coyotes a lot. A IOR scope would work well for you especially on lower power because the reticle thickness is .1 mil. It's easier to see the reticle or pick it up fast with the scope mag dialed down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenndapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it the just a portion of the reticle that is illuminated? Or is the whole thing lit up?</div></div> On my 4-16 only the center dot is iluminated. The way the buttons work is great. Push up or down to turn it on and adjust as needed. To turn it off, just push both buttons for a second. Turning it back on, the ilumination stays on the last setting you used.

Have a 3-18x50 IOR got it from Scott at liberty optics too. Scope is working great on a Sako TRG 42 in 338LAPUA. Tracking has always been great. Ya the zero stop isn't the best and the outside finish isn't quite as good a night force. But the glass is good. I would treat the scope as a 4-16 though because beyond 16 the reticle does get a bit thick. Still glad to have the extra mag to see hits though.

I would by another one