• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Lapua Long Range and Super Long Range (Announced)

Would it even be legal in competition? I would think not
No, only factory-made .22LR ammo can be used in sanctioned competion such as RFBR and 3P ISSF events.

The issue is that .22LR ammo uses heeled bullets and centerfire bullets will not fit inside a .22LR casing. While the diameter of the .22LR casing and bullet are the same, the part of the bullet that's unseen and inside the casing -- the heel -- is smaller. Centerfire bullets are not heeled, and the widest part of the bullet fits in the case. See below for a simplified diagram with a heeled bullet on the right.

Centerfire bullets will not fit inside a .22LR casing.

The dimensions of a .22LR case below.

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
Someone is swapping original .22LR bullets with factory Hornady 40 grain centerfire bullets similar to what's shown below?

How's that possible?

Yes he does and it works quite well for him. He's really creative, and he even recrimps the Hornady projectiles back into the original cases. I'll look for his video and post a link. Some people like him or hate him, but he's pretty smart and innovative....

Reactions: Williwaw
Yes he does and it works quite well for him. He's really creative, and he even recrimps the Hornady projectiles back into the original cases. I'll look for his video and post a link. Some people like him or hate him, but he's pretty smart and innovative....
That's incredible. You say he puts a .22 cal centerfire bullet in a .22LR case and recrimps it.

It would be revealing to see how he fits a centerfire bullet with a diameter of .224" inside a .22LR case that has a smaller inside diameter.

Reactions: Rob01
I'm not going to go watch all their videos, but I think the bullet switching is with 22 mag based on titles/pics. I could be wrong...I think he has access to a machine shop. Maybe he made some dies to squeeze the fuck out of the base of the bullet and get it into the case. I see a lot of potential issues to solve with that, but the guy seems pretty smart. I suppose it might be possible.

A friend at work bought the new Lapua Super Long Range ammo this weekend from Good Shooting Inc. It didn't last long before it sold out...

A friend at work bought the new Lapua Super Long Range ammo this weekend from Good Shooting Inc. It didn't last long before it sold out...
It's in the wild already? I didn't think it would "hit the shelves" for a couple more months...now I have to go shopping.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Yeah, that is surprising! I figured us peons wouldn't be able to get any until all the big shots had their turn at it....

All the places I checked show sold out for both.

FWIW, according to an accurateshooter.com bulletin dated January 15, 2023, "Ammo Availability: Lapua’s new Long Range rimfire offerings will soon be available at authorized Lapua retailers for delivery by the end of the first quarter of 2023." That suggests it will begin to be available starting around the end of March 2023.

I picked up 3 boxes from Good Shooting just to try out. When I checked out they still had 178 boxes of the Super Long Range.

Good Shooting must have added more inventory to their site, I just ordered two bricks of Long Range.
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 5.38.54 PM.png

They show lots still in stock as of right now......must have loaded them onto the web after i checked this morning.......let's see how long they last.

screenshot-2023-02-06-at-5-38-54-pm-png.8068666

Something about those images bothered me...actually woke me up a zero-dark-thirty.
I figured it out, it's kinda like the 9mm image of the entire cartridge exiting the muzzle.
That's not what a 22lr looks like when it exits the barrel, is it? :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: drglock
Think I should have some coming today. Might not get out to test it for a week or so.

On a side note, Good Shooting got mre in stock. They did raise their prices about 10% on them, but still cheaper than everyone else.

Last edited:
That's what I've seen so far. Mine should arrive today from the big brown truck.
If nothing else, this video may win the internet prize for first video test of the new Lapua long range ammo.

As a test, it's no more than inconclusive with no more than one box of one lot of each new variety tested.

Reactions: Dawhit
Where's the chronograph during the group shooting?
It's almost useless without a diagnostic tool verifying the cause of vertical spread.
The eyeballed aggregate group build doesn't appear to be impressive.
As usual, they wander all over the place.
:(

My order arrives today. If I had access to an indoor range I'd test there.
Have to wait for a calm morning to attempt 50 at 100 yards and 200 yards.

Last edited:
I've got some SLR and LR. Will give it a try this weekend.

Attachments

• 20230208_150455.jpg
    20230208_150455.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Defender3
We'll see when he competes with it.

I usually lot test 3-4 boxes across multiple distances out to 400 yds. Set up my Kestrel when it's a good lot right then and there with that data including truing up, and dsf beyond 300.

Shot it indoors this morning at 50yds and 100yds. Didn’t adjust my tuner from my setting that I use with my SK Longrange Match. Didn’t really impress me though you might be able to tighten it up some with the tuner.

RimX
Shilen Ratchet @ 24” with EC tuner
Nevius chamber
Razor Gen II
Indoors off bipod and rear bag.

780E775A-0E2D-43F8-AAAA-A29C6F9C306A.jpeg
DBABC7DE-6B14-460C-AAFA-6F97B031CF56.jpeg
5B25697C-60C2-47E6-8D97-D7789B455D58.jpeg
6539AC93-C6F7-4ED6-9A4E-CADC7BEB4FED.jpeg

Last edited:
Those don't look as encouraging as Kenny's video did. Especially for indoors.

4 of the 6 groups threw a flyer that was always low of the main group and some of it could of been me, I’m a bit rusty but I took my time with every shot. This has a ES of 34fps . My SK Longrange Match has a ES of 26fps with 6x5 avg. Of .29 at 50 and .75 at 100yds and I think I can squeeze a bit more out with playing with the tuner but the SK Longrange Match is almost 1/2 the cost of the Lapua.

Thanks for posting this. The groups at 50m look pretty 'normal' (rather than extraordinary), as you mention. The SD is noteworthy at 7.0, however, and ES (at 95%) would be modeled at ± 28. The large sample size (n=60) here is possibly the explanation of the ES being a bit higher...at some stage...you are due those 5% fliers.

The 64K question is whether or not this ammo has high inherent accuracy on top of that low SD or not. I've heard anecdotal reports of recent ammo quality declines-- ie, not being as good as a couple years ago--now both in centrefire and rimfire. Has me headscratching for next steps on finding a reliable source of new ammo.

In think we'll need tons of people testing across various conditions and varying lots to really see how well the LLR and LSLR really perform.

I didn't buy any LR , just SLR.

I know it all depends on the lot and I’ve shot Center X in matches for 4-5 years now. Always seemed the most consistent no matter the lot. This winter being you can’t hardly ever find Center X in stock I’ve switched to SK Longrange Match. Plus it’s $3-$5 a box cheaper than Center X. Just for shit and giggles I threw 5 rounds of SKLRM in my mag and shot this group at my house.
Wind is 11-15mph from my 4:30 , steel target is 109yds.

I’ll keep shooting my SK and it’s $10 a box cheaper lol.
D124F127-1F20-400C-BE6E-C99C34A3542C.jpeg

I know it all depends on the lot and I’ve shot Center X in matches for 4-5 years now. Always seemed the most consistent no matter the lot. This winter being you can’t hardly ever find Center X in stock I’ve switched to SK Longrange Match. Plus it’s $3-$5 a box cheaper than Center X. Just for shit and giggles I threw 5 rounds of SKLRM in my mag and shot this group at my house.
Wind is 11-15mph from my 4:30 , steel target is 109yds.

I’ll keep shooting my SK and it’s $10 a box cheaper lol.
View attachment 8072054
My SKLR has always been good to me. Prefer it over SK red box.

I'll be shooting SKLR until I'm out and then go back to CX. But yeah, at 100 and past it's good to me.

I am a big fan of SK Long Range also. I get 1107fps from my 22" barrel. Below is a group I shot last week at 100 when I went to check some data for my match this past Sunday. First round at 2 o'clock was first through clean barrel and then the next 4 in the center. Only group I shot as I needed to check data out to 400 so started on steel afterwards. I am interested to see what the Lapua has to offer before ordering another case of SKLR.

IMG_3211.jpg

Orders from goodshooting are arriving and target results are trickling in.

It appears my original curmudgeonly thoughts,
from when it was first advertised, were right.

Same stuff, different label. 😒

Reactions: drglock and LR1845

At least with the lot of SKLRM I have the Lapua Super Duper Match is right at 10fps faster out of my gun.

SKLRM- 1089fps
SKPMS- 1072fps
Center X-1064fps
Center X- 1058fps
Lapua Super Longrange Match-1098
RWS R50-1105fps
These are all out of my 24” Shilen

I don’t know the conditions he shot in but it doesn’t look like there was much wind. I could be wrong but the grids on his targets look to be 1”(the dark red lines) but if you watch the groups at 100yds aren’t that great. I’d almost bet if you shot SK Standard out of that gun that the groups would be just as good.

Anyone else notice that SK changed the MV listed on their website for SK-LRM? It used to be 1,106fps, now they list 1,099fps...I'm sure it's just a coincidence...to make it look like it's different than Lapua LR and SLR.
That's a good observation. When SK LRM was introduced, SK ballistics charts had it at 1106 fps or 337m/s (see bottom of image below).

SK may have been new to long range shooting styles, saying it was designed for the increasingly popular shooting discipline of "PRC".

By 2020, the charts had SK LRM at 1099 fps (335m/s).

If I'm reading the lot code correctly, the bullet itself is a "5", just like Center X and the like (unlike say Biathlon which is a "7".)

I'm going to wait until I get my Kestrel 5700 Elite back from them before I test. I had to send it in for repair/replacement because it stopped keeping gun data. They couldn't repair it, so they sent a new one...but UPS damaged the box and USPS refused to accept it for the last leg of shipping and sent it back...currently the damaged shipment has been returned to Kestrel, but they haven't found it in in the warehouse/loading dock area...UPS sucks.

Hopefully the Kestrel gets back soon, so I can have temp/humidity/pressure for the indoor range...the way I figure it, might as well have all the tools, rather than just MagnetoSpeed V3 numbers. Been a rough couple weeks for the Cowfamily...stupid mini fridge house fire.