• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Leica Rangemaster 2800.com & Kestrel with Applied Ballitsics

Just got back from checking out this Leica 2800.com and the Kestrel 5700 Elite. Once I figured it out, its beautiful! The target card function is well ........ "The Cats ASS"! :)

I love that once you range all of the targets populating the target card, one can do a "wind update" and it will update all the wind holds for all the targets at once......... sweet!

1.First I watched Doc's video of paring the two units together.
2. Updated the Leica 2800.com Firmware to the latest.
3. Updated the Kestrel 5700 Elite to the latest Firmware.
4. Paired the two units together by Doc's instructions in the video.

Below are photos of the local lake I visited, I marked the Target LETTER and DISTANCE on the lake photos, the Kestrel photos display the RANGE for targets A-G and WIND1 for targets A-G.

On man am I going to have fun with this!

Hope this helps someone.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_6288.JPG
    IMG_6288.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 252
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 239
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 227
  • CDE.jpg
    CDE.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 214
  • FG.jpg
    FG.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 251
  • A_D_Range.JPG
    A_D_Range.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 250
  • E_G_Range.JPG
    E_G_Range.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 252
  • A_D_Wind1.JPG
    A_D_Wind1.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 238
  • E_G_Wind1.JPG
    E_G_Wind1.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
We compared the beam on the 2800 to the new Sig 3000 Binos at the end of this thread last night.

Weird stuff with the sig 3000 but crazy distances -- but the beam was so big not 100% sure on what we were getting the return from..
I have to call CS on Monday and show them the pictures and video see what they think. I would love some one else to replicate what @Diver160651 did on their unit and night vision to see if this is the dispersion we should expect it are at least getting.

If so mines going back for the Leica.

I'm finding that the bluetooth connection seems to drop out from time to time. I've been playing with sending the ranges to my Kestrel and using the target card. I'll be ranging here to there, back and forth, and then get no reading sent to the Kestrel.

I also sometimes don't get correct range readings on the 2800. I see the reticle 'spin' and then I press the button again. Every so often the range isn't reliable. I'm sure I'm not doing something right...

When the reticle spins it is re-connecting all functions. I wait a few seconds until it is a solid reticle and BT then functionality is consistent.

At least that is how my setup works.

What’s everyone’s consensus on ranging ability? Will it do 2000 yds consistently off a tripod?

Okay, why couldn't I have found this thread a week ago, I just got my Zeiss Victory RF because of built in ballistics and being able to see drop values in the unit, but this is even better as it syncs with Kestrel to provide wind values and send those back to the Leica display, that's exactly what I'm hoping for and while I wanted a bino/LRF unit in one, I think this provides a better solution. @DocUSMCRetired do you have any idea if Kestrel or AB is working with Zeiss to get similar connectivity with their Victory RF binos with bluetooth?

Edit: I spoke with Zeiss and they said no plans so far to integrate with Kestrel, but they thought it was a "good idea"... gee, ya think :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Philys21
Well I just ordered the Leica 2800.COM from Ben at SportOptics.com, I really hope this unit is all its cracked up to be ;)

Are there "preferred" settings on the 2800.COM that most seem to recommend? I watched Doc's video on connecting the 2800 to the Kestrel and will most likely watch again so I can do the same when I get mine, but just curious if there is anything I should avoid with the 2800.COM especially in stand alone mode (not connected to Kestrel).

Reactions: seansmd
Are there "preferred" settings on the 2800.COM that most seem to recommend? I watched Doc's video on connecting the 2800 to the Kestrel and will most likely watch again so I can do the same when I get mine, but just curious if there is anything I should avoid with the 2800.COM especially in stand alone mode (not connected to Kestrel).
If you are going standalone you need to turn off Bluetooth on the leica, otherwise it spins hunting for the pair.

Also the power button is very close to the range button, i constantly hit it by accident and are time with it cycling.

Once connected I have had great luck taking many targets, changing and filling out the elite range card with different ranges, dof, angles, etc. If you walk away, or separate them and they lose the pair you may need to cycle power on the leica. It send to be a fire issue on the leica not the kestrel, as this does not happen with other devices, apps, etc. I had the sigbdx for a short time and the bluetooth connection was more stable and reconnected better.

If you are going standalone you need to turn off Bluetooth on the leica, otherwise it spins hunting for the pair.

Also the power button is very close to the range button, i constantly hit it by accident and are time with it cycling.

Once connected I have had great luck taking many targets, changing and filling out the elite range card with different ranges, dof, angles, etc. If you walk away, or separate them and they lose the pair you may need to cycle power on the leica. It send to be a fire issue on the leica not the kestrel, as this does not happen with other devices, apps, etc. I had the sigbdx for a short time and the bluetooth connection was more stable and reconnected better.
Thank you Sean, very much appreciated.

So took my 2800.COM out to play today, watched some of Doc's videos on youtube and read some of the manual and still had some issues but seansmd helped me out (thank you!) to figure out some of the Kestrel and 2800.COM settings and functions. Was lazing stuff out to 1600 yards and it was very quick to provide feedback. I took it out again this evening and noticed there was some lag, in fact, every other laze was not registering with the Kestrel so I check some settings on the Kestrel and it said I needed to do a compass calibration (turn slowly for 3 turns) and after I did that the communication between the 2800.COM and quick lazes on different objects was very fast, in fact, the 2800.COM sends distance quicker than the Victory RF 10x42 I've been using and I thought that was fast, but the 2800.COM gives almost instant feedback the moment you press the range button. It will take a little to get used to all the settings and making sure everything is right, but so far I'm impressed. One of my favorite features is the display on the Kestrel stays up, so if you're just relying on the 2800.COM display that scrolls by the values fairly quickly, but if you need to double check it is right there on the Kestrel readout. Oh, and one other thing, the glass in the 2800.COM is definitely better than my Sig Kilo 2000, gone is the blue cast that bugs me, lens glare is controlled very well so I was still able to get a very clear image while looking in the distance of the setting sun, same situation and the Sig had quite a bit of glare. Clarity and DOF is impressive, so that's another plus. Yes, I'm losing the binos with built in LRF but I'm gaining connectivity with the Kestrel and a solution that provides drop and wind at shooter which is very nice. One last thought, my Kestrel is the 5700 Ballistics (used to be Sportsman) which has bluetooth but only allows 3 profiles at a time and does not have the rangecard feature of the 5700 Elite (although it can be upgraded to the full Elite software if I should need that someday), just in case anyone else has the Ballistics version I can tell you that yes, the 2800.COM works with it so if you don't need more than 3 cartridge/rifle profiles and don't need a range card this is a great option with the ability to upgrade to Elite software if you desire down the road.

Question, does anyone make a shroud/tripod adapter for the 2800.COM (I believe the 2700 has the same body) that has a built in dovetail (arca swiss plate?) I see LRI makes one but they don't list the 2700/2800 so not sure it will fit???

Question, does anyone make a shroud/tripod adapter for the 2800.COM (I believe the 2700 has the same body) that has a built in dovetail (arca swiss plate?) I see LRI makes one but they don't list the 2700/2800 so not sure it will fit???

I rock this one:

I've found another reason to like the Leica mount. When I'm done using the RF, or for those times when I'm ROing a stage, the cradle shape is perfect for holding/resting a timer.

I’m in the same boat. A lot of controls and settings to be played with. I look forward to learning more (once I figure out why my display is crooked)
Can’t wait to figure out the target cards for my 5700 Elite. Etc. I shoot factory American gunner 6.5 and that’s all I’ll ever shoot. So trying to figure out how to load all of that info. I have every ballistic app under the sun and barely know how to use one of them. So need to find the best one and master it. Any ideas??
PM me I would be glad to talk you through it over the phone.

Help. I posted another thread before seeing this one. But here is my question.

I just got my new CRF 2800.com last week and the display that shows the yardage is crooked, like very crooked probably by an 8th inch or so in the display no matter how level I hold the rangefinder. I checked the app to see if there were any settings for that but didn’t notice anything.
The display on mine seems to be horizontal when I hold the LRF upright, sounds like you may have one that passed QC unfortunately, see if you can exchange with your dealer otherwise you may have to send in to Leica warranty unfortunately.

I am about to purchase the leica 2800.com. Must you calibrate the compass function in the RF like the Kestrel 5700? Want to use the RF with the kestrel.
How accurate is the DOF using the Leica?
Thank you

Finally got my 2800.com.
Can I do one wind reading will give a solution to all the different distances on the range card? Even if the DOF is different directions? And you shooting from the same point, but in different directions?

Thank you, works perfectly. What I have noticed, have to calibrate the compass every time I am on the range. Got the DOF through the Leica, give example direction 350, if get DOF with Kestrel, will be more 60 degrees out.
Have any one of you noticed, if you have your Leica at brightness level 5, you get small red dots above the aiming circle and the distance?

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know and the more questions I have. This thread is very interesting and I hope I am not hijacking it with the following question.

I have a Knights SR-25 E2 PR chambered in 7.62x51 that I use for target shooting at random unknown distances out to 1000 yards. I shoot the Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 175 grain. Clearly the rifle will not go the distance that the Leica 2800 can measure. From what I have read, I like the features of both the Leica 2800.com and Kestrel 5700 Elite and am ready to purchase both but I believe these devices are overkill for my application. For months I have been second guessing myself because on one hand I do not "need" this level of equipment but on the other hand I like the features that both offer when paired. If I choose the devices that more closely match the capabilities of the rifle then I lose the features I like.

I also know that as I get more proficient with the 7.62 then I will upgrade to a rifle that will reach out much farther at which time I will be able to take full advantage of the capabilities of these devices. However, I am sure when that time comes, new and better devices will be available.

I could use some advice and/or recommendations. Would it be silly to get these two devices for my application and if so, what would you recommend in place of these? I should add that these are within my budget so cost is not a factor. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
I am in almost the same boat. The technology is something I know will assist in my shooting but is developing so quickly I’ve decided to wait a bit till the price drops and/or has the ability for software upgrades vs hardware replacement every few years.

I could use some advice and/or recommendations. Would it be silly to get these two devices for my application and if so, what would you recommend in place of these? I should add that these are within my budget so cost is not a factor. Thank you.

As has been said...overkill is underrated! And the forever favorite...buy once, cry once.

I would say, get the Leica 2800 and the Kestrel 5700 and don't look back. And to @FA Duk's point...point units have the ability to update their software.

The workflow between the units is something many have wait for. There is always a learning curve. You may as well learn it now and grow with it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know and the more questions I have. This thread is very interesting and I hope I am not hijacking it with the following question.

I have a Knights SR-25 E2 PR chambered in 7.62x51 that I use for target shooting at random unknown distances out to 1000 yards. I shoot the Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 175 grain. Clearly the rifle will not go the distance that the Leica 2800 can measure. From what I have read, I like the features of both the Leica 2800.com and Kestrel 5700 Elite and am ready to purchase both but I believe these devices are overkill for my application. For months I have been second guessing myself because on one hand I do not "need" this level of equipment but on the other hand I like the features that both offer when paired. If I choose the devices that more closely match the capabilities of the rifle then I lose the features I like.

I also know that as I get more proficient with the 7.62 then I will upgrade to a rifle that will reach out much farther at which time I will be able to take full advantage of the capabilities of these devices. However, I am sure when that time comes, new and better devices will be available.

Dust Bunny, there are always various factors when making decisions on equipment. Also, don't feel bad about what you don't know, we are all learning regardless of how knowledgeable we are, I am in the same boat as you, I feel like the more I read the more I realize I don't know, but part of why I love the Hide is the many shooters who are willing to share their knowledge, and it's great to get diverse responses because if it's only one sided it can sometimes be based on a certain bias.

Starting out with the 308/7.62 is great, the round is capable especially with the 175's and I think it's actually a benefit to learn on something that's a bit more difficult to shoot because it hones your fundamentals and then when you do graduate to a "better" round it will be that much easier for you.

With regard to the 2800.COM and Kestrel 5700 I would recommend them since you can afford them. For years I've used just a plain LRF with no ballistics except for charts I printed out and laminated, then when ballistics apps became more popular (and more reliable) I slowly switched over and ultimately bought the 5700, but I'd still have to laze and then input that data into the Kestrel; however, finding the 2800.COM was like a dream come true, the fact that I can connect them, click on the 2800.COM for my range and it delivers DOF (direction of fire) and distance and angle all at once to the Kestrel and the Kestrel then displays your solution based on that data, well that's brilliant. Can you get by without it, certainly, and for some shooters who do not require the immediate response it may not be worth the investment, and a Kilo or Vortex HD 4000 may more than fit their needs without any connection to the Kestrel.

Took out the 2800.COM this morning and stopped by a local ranch that has quite the large heard of Antelope. I like to laze the Antelope because they are the smallest big game animal I hunt and often are the most difficult to get an accurate range on. This morning I had a couple antelope waaaay out that I could not get a reading hand held, but I used my new 3D printed tripod mount and was able to get accurate measurements whenever they were broadside. My readings were consistently at 1258 and had one 1257 reading when the animal was broadside but the LRF could not register a distance when the animal was quartering and head-on, the 'lope was very easy to see through the 7x optics of the Leica and to be honest I was surprised I got any reading, but the fact it was able to do an Antelope at over 1000 yards was impressive.

1568835199385.png

Dust Bunny, there are always various factors when making decisions on equipment. Also, don't feel bad about what you don't know, we are all learning regardless of how knowledgeable we are, I am in the same boat as you, I feel like the more I read the more I realize I don't know, but part of why I love the Hide is the many shooters who are willing to share their knowledge, and it's great to get diverse responses because if it's only one sided it can sometimes be based on a certain bias.

Starting out with the 308/7.62 is great, the round is capable especially with the 175's and I think it's actually a benefit to learn on something that's a bit more difficult to shoot because it hones your fundamentals and then when you do graduate to a "better" round it will be that much easier for you.

With regard to the 2800.COM and Kestrel 5700 I would recommend them since you can afford them. For years I've used just a plain LRF with no ballistics except for charts I printed out and laminated, then when ballistics apps became more popular (and more reliable) I slowly switched over and ultimately bought the 5700, but I'd still have to laze and then input that data into the Kestrel; however, finding the 2800.COM was like a dream come true, the fact that I can connect them, click on the 2800.COM for my range and it delivers DOF (direction of fire) and distance and angle all at once to the Kestrel and the Kestrel then displays your solution based on that data, well that's brilliant. Can you get by without it, certainly, and for some shooters who do not require the immediate response it may not be worth the investment, and a Kilo or Vortex HD 4000 may more than fit their needs without any connection to the Kestrel.
Thank you very much for your insightful response.

I currently have access to local ranges that go out to 200 yards however, about every two months I travel 2 hours to a range that goes out to 600 yards. When I'm using the 600 yard range I would like to have a rangefinder that went out to at least 1,000 yards. Given my limited time at the 600 yard range I would hate to put a lot of money into a rangefinder. Could anyone recommend a rangefinder that would be worth buying in the $500 or less category that would range to 1,000 yards?

I currently have access to local ranges that go out to 200 yards however, about every two months I travel 2 hours to a range that goes out to 600 yards. When I'm using the 600 yard range I would like to have a rangefinder that went out to at least 1,000 yards. Given my limited time at the 600 yard range I would hate to put a lot of money into a rangefinder. Could anyone recommend a rangefinder that would be worth buying in the $500 or less category that would range to 1,000 yards?
This is the Leica 2800.COM thread, I would suggest you start another thread so this does not get side tracked. The old Sig Kilo 2000's can be picked up for cheap and would serve you well, if you want something with a better optics and a better LRF unit then check out the Vortex Razor HD 4000, if the Razor unit had bluetooth I would have that unit most likely.

This is the Leica 2800.COM thread, I would suggest you start another thread so this does not get side tracked. The old Sig Kilo 2000's can be picked up for cheap and would serve you well, if you want something with a better optics and a better LRF unit then check out the Vortex Razor HD 4000, if the Razor unit had bluetooth I would have that unit most likely.
Thanks for your suggestions - will do.

Took out the 2800.COM this morning and stopped by a local ranch that has quite the large heard of Antelope. I like to laze the Antelope because they are the smallest big game animal I hunt and often are the most difficult to get an accurate range on. This morning I had a couple antelope waaaay out that I could not get a reading hand held, but I used my new 3D printed tripod mount and was able to get accurate measurements whenever they were broadside. My readings were consistently at 1258 and had one 1257 reading when the animal was broadside but the LRF could not register a distance when the animal was quartering and head-on, the 'lope was very easy to see through the 7x optics of the Leica and to be honest I was surprised I got any reading, but the fact it was able to do an Antelope at over 1000 yards was impressive.

View attachment 7149390

That you got him under and around that tree is a testament to the importance of tighter beam divergence.

I honestly haven't needed a rangefinder much in the last two years and my HDB 2200s have just about always given me a return when I've wanted to double check something.

The BT connection with the Kestrel is pretty cool though, may have to pick one up just for that feature.

That you got him under and around that tree is a testament to the importance of tighter beam divergence.

I honestly haven't needed a rangefinder much in the last two years and my HDB 2200s have just about always given me a return when I've wanted to double check something.

The BT connection with the Kestrel is pretty cool though, may have to pick one up just for that feature.
I was trying to pick more difficult situations to see what the 2800.COM could do and not do. Where that tree is was about 120 yards from my position and it sits on a slight rise so that animals behind the rise were actually about 400 yards away, this was a situation the Leica could not overcome, even though the center circle was right on the antelope the LRF would always read in the 120ish range, I tried a little high, I tried a little low but the predominant signal was coming from the rise and not from the animal, it wasn't until the animal was a bit higher (above the rise) in my line of sight that the Leica would pick it up. Later, at my house I was lazing off my back deck and decided to try to thread the needle through an open patch in a tree and the 2800.COM was able to hit the far away target - I was not able to do this hand held which is testament to using a tripod when needing to get very precise measurements.

I also think there is a process for each device finding where the beam is relative to the reticle. Using the top of a pole and lasing in from each axis, I'm willing to bet all are not centered. I would think you would want to do this at a closer range where the beam is tight.

I also think there is a process for each device finding where the beam is relative to the reticle. Using the top of a pole and lasing in from each axis, I'm willing to bet all are not centered. I would think you would want to do this at a closer range where the beam is tight.

This 2800 is tempting. Besides the features would y’all say the performance enhancement is noticeably better than the 2700-R?

I just wanted to thank @AbbyKatt, @wjm308 and everyone else in this thread for your insight and knowledge. I have never owned an LRF or Kestrel and have no experience with them since I have only been into this level of shooting for about 1.5 years. After many months of research and second guessing myself on what to get, I ordered and have received my 2800.com and Kestrel 5700 Elite and it is because of the knowledge and the sharing of that knowledge by everyone here in this thread. I know I made the right choice. Nice equipment. It is going to give me more confidence to start reaching out farther, more accurately. It's going to take a little bit to get my head around the tech and spend some time applying it but I am excited. Thank you to all.

Nice
Bored tonight... Ranging some elk on the mountain above my house as they went into the scrub oak. Little overcast not bad I'll take it chief!

View attachment 7151304
Nice! I'm impressed you got a shot with the display, I was trying to do that with my shot but couldn't get the phone aligned quick enough when it was still displaying the distance. As much as I love the 2800.COM so far, I do wish they had some options for delay and display time.

Afternoon,

Can someone tell me if I do something wrong?
I get wind reading, then with Leica range to the target and get DOF send to Kestrel, get the elevation and windage, say the wind was 9 o’clock 10mph, windage .5 L, now I change DOF, I get new distance and new DOF change with 180degrees. What I have noticed the windage does not change, only corrects for longer distance, now its .6L, should read .6R. The wind was still coming from same direction.
Or do I you have capture the wind every time you get a New DOF?
I see my Kestrel and Leica is about 20degrees difference in compass reading.
I was under the impression, you can get one wind reading, range a target and shoot, range a different target and shoot.
Thank you

Where is the 2800 made from? Is it made in Germany, USA, or elsewhere? Thanks