• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Leica Rangemaster 2800.com & Kestrel with Applied Ballitsics

Where is the 2800 made from? Is it made in Germany, USA, or elsewhere? Thanks

Portugal I believe let me double check.

Edit* yes mine has made in Portugal stamped on the front of the unit

Last edited:
Reactions: Soulezoo
Afternoon,

Can someone tell me if I do something wrong?
I get wind reading, then with Leica range to the target and get DOF send to Kestrel, get the elevation and windage, say the wind was 9 o’clock 10mph, windage .5 L, now I change DOF, I get new distance and new DOF change with 180degrees. What I have noticed the windage does not change, only corrects for longer distance, now its .6L, should read .6R. The wind was still coming from same direction.
Or do I you have capture the wind every time you get a New DOF?
I see my Kestrel and Leica is about 20degrees difference in compass reading.
I was under the impression, you can get one wind reading, range a target and shoot, range a different target and shoot.
Thank you

The Leica doesn't capture the wind speed or direction, you'd have to update that with the Kestrel.

The Leica doesn't capture the wind speed or direction, you'd have to update that with the Kestrel.
b
Thank you for the reply.
Yes I know the the Leica does not capture wind, think you miss understood me there. If you don’t use target card. Lets say get DOF 360degrees 1000m, now get a wind reading, WD says 9’00 WS 5mph, E8.0 W 0.7L. Now I take range finder, new DOF 090degrees, new distance 500m. E4.8 W0.7L. But the wind is now right from behind, so the W0.7L is wrong. Seems like every time you change DOF you have to update the wind even the wind is coming from same direction And wind speed.

If you update the DOF the Kestrel is not going to make the leap by altering the wind hold based on the new DOF, you would have to update both. The Kestrel is receiving DOF from the laser, if you update DOF with the laser and now wind is actually zero value at 0600 instead of full value at 0900 before the update...

Yeah, you have to update the wind direction as well.

It would be nice if the Kestrel would recompute the wind hold based on the new DOF but if you think about all the people that use this stuff?

Military, LE, Hunters, and all the casual shooters... It makes sense that they would force you to manually update the wind data rather than base a shot on an animal or maybe a bad guy on the assumption that it hasn't changed based on the lack of a wind speed / direction update at the same time as the DOF.

If you update the DOF the Kestrel is not going to make the leap by altering the wind hold based on the new DOF, you would have to update both. The Kestrel is receiving DOF from the laser, if you update DOF with the laser and now wind is actually zero value at 0600 instead of full value at 0900 before the update...

Yeah, you have to update the wind direction as well.

It would be nice if the Kestrel would recompute the wind hold based on the new DOF but if you think about all the people that use this stuff?

Military, LE, Hunters, and all the casual shooters... It makes sense that they would force you to manually update the wind data rather than base a shot on an animal or maybe a bad guy on the assumption that it hasn't changed based on the lack of a wind speed / direction update at the same time as the DOF.

I would need to confirm, but I'm pretty sure if you put the kestrel to real time environmentals( uses battery faster I believe) it will update the wind each time you laze and target.

Reactions: Rhed
Good thought, didn't even think to ask if he had environmentals locked

I just thought I would share a video on how to pair a Leica Rangemaster 2800.com to a Kestrel Elite 5700. The Leica Rangemaster 2800.com can provide the Kestrel with the Range, Firing Direction, and Inclination angle. The Kestrel will then calculate the firing solution and provide that solution on its own display as well as feed that back to the Leica which will then display the hold over in the Rangefinder. This allows for remote, hands free, operation of the Kestrel in a wind vane mount or any mount for that matter while still being able to see the firing solution in the range finder.

Excellent video. Just curious if you might know if the Leica 2800.com works the same with the Kestrel/Hornady 5700 4DOF?
Thanks.

According to the HornadyKestrel website - yes it will. Not sure about the setup. I'll be finding out soon...

My friend has the same setup, 2800.com and kestrel elite, he cannot connect his brand new leica to iphone app, but can connect to his kestrel. My leica connects to his app. The leica settings is correct, BT is set to APP. Has anyone els have the same issues?

I've got the adapter made by Leica: https://www.leicacamerausa.com/crf-tripod-adapter.html

seansmd listed the same. See Doug at CameraLandNY he can hook you up, good prices as well.
Appears that this mount wouldn’t fit in the Leica carry pouch due to the retention nob. Can someone verify? I’m leaning toward the aftermarket style which encircles the entire unit.
Question, does anyone make a shroud/tripod adapter for the 2800.COM (I believe the 2700 has the same body) that has a built in dovetail (arca swiss plate?) I see LRI makes one but they don't list the 2700/2800 so not sure it will fit???

After attempts to get more information from LRI failed, I bought a 3D printed version on ebay for $25, it has worked great so far, it shrouds the whole unit like the LRI, has a 1/4-20 tripod thread and a dovetail built in that fits my arca swiss heads on my tripods. I normally don't like to buy stuff that hasn't been proved out but for $25 I thought it was worth a shot and I've been pleased with it.

Appears that this mount wouldn’t fit in the Leica carry pouch due to the retention nob. Can someone verify? I’m leaning toward the aftermarket style which encircles the entire unit.

FA DUK..... I had to go get my mount and try it in the Leica Pouch..... Yes the Leica Mount will fit inside the Leica Pouch being mounted to the 2800.COM range finder, even though the side mounted retention knob sticks out. It will fit just fine.

What wouldn't fit in the pouch was my camera head quick release plate mounted to the Leica mount, then mounted to the 2800.com. The camera plate is just to big.

All the best,
Jeff

Last edited:
My friend has the same setup, 2800.com and kestrel elite, he cannot connect his brand new leica to iphone app, but can connect to his kestrel. My leica connects to his app. The leica settings is correct, BT is set to APP. Has anyone els have the same issues?

Just got mine today and it is doing the exact same thing!!!! So frustrating, connects to kestrel no problem but can't get it to connect to the app and I've tried multiple 2 different phones. 2800.com is set to app and neither phone will find it.

Just got mine today and it is doing the exact same thing!!!! So frustrating, connects to kestrel no problem but can't get it to connect to the app and I've tried multiple 2 different phones. 2800.com is set to app and neither phone will find it.
Mine has been doing this, submitted a note through Leica's website and never heard anything back. Does anyone know the "trick" to get the Leica to link with the App?

FA DUK..... I had to go get my mount and try it in the Leica Pouch..... Yes the Leica Mount will fit inside the Leica Pouch being mounted to the 2800.COM range finder, even though the side mounted retention knob sticks out. It will fit just fine.

What wouldn't fit in the pouch was my camera head quick release plate mounted to the Leica mount, then mounted to the 2800.com. The camera plate is just to big.

All the best,
Jeff
Thx ... I’m gonna try the Schonfeld holder ... and try to rig something similar to the RRS Spotter Kit, having a spotting scope and a range finder on a rail attached to my Manfroto pistol grip on a tripod. Hope the pistol grip can handle the weight ... the spotting scope is a Gen I vortex razor 20x85 w/MIL fixed loop

I believe I had the same issue ... was trying to connect via the iPhone Settings and failed ... BUT when attempted to connect WITHIN Leica app it connected.

Reactions: seansmd
You also need to be careful to not stuff it too tightly, pressure on the buttons will kill the battery. I keep mine in a larger pouch attached to my pack.

Last edited:
My friends new Leica was exchanged yesterday, tried again logon with app, but had no luck, we tried via ipad, same does not want to connect, but connect to Kestrel.
Have a look at the box and see when unit was manufactured, this unit 30/4/2019.
The supplier dealing with Leica now, he said its now the 3rd unit doing this.

My friends new Leica was exchanged yesterday, tried again logon with app, but had no luck, we tried via ipad, same does not want to connect, but connect to Kestrel.
Have a look at the box and see when unit was manufactured, this unit 30/4/2019.
The supplier dealing with Leica now, he said its now the 3rd unit doing this.

I wonder if it's an iOS issue with the app. I use Android and picked up my 2800 right after they hit the shelves and have never had an issue connecting to either my phone or my kestrel

I wonder if it's an iOS issue with the app. I use Android and picked up my 2800 right after they hit the shelves and have never had an issue connecting to either my phone or my kestrel

My leica can connect to my app and my friends app, but his can’t connect to my app or his app. Second unit doing this.

• Wow
So they sent me a replacement.............and it did the same damn thing.

Sent it back and they're sending me one that they've personally tested and it connected to the techs phone.

I'm guessing they just had a bad batch, not sure but hopefully this new one doesn't develop any problems.

I love the rangefinder otherwise but I want full functionality when I buy a product.

I'll update when I get it tomorrow.

I heard another rumor that Leica will be making a bino version of the 2800.com
12x UHD binos would be the bees knees. Just sayin....

My 2800.com has been flawless in both connectivity and functionality. I use both the sig 2400 ABS and the Leica. The Sig is cat quick for most hunting applications; although the glass has pretty poor IQ Compared to the Leica.

One can only hope that the industry will produce the best of both into one unit.

Promotion?
$899 w/ $100 rebate

9202AEFB-DA2F-450E-AC14-27FF8E332EA4.jpeg

Promotion?
I have the Vortex 4000 and considered trading for a Leica 2800. I think the 4000 is excellent. I was not convinced that I needed or wanted the additional features offered by the Leica.

Tempting promotion. In the market for an Applied Ballistics capable range finder but now I'm thinking I'll wait to see if Leica fixes the tech side issues.

Tempting promotion. In the market for an Applied Ballistics capable range finder but now I'm thinking I'll wait to see if Leica fixes the tech side issues.

Seems like everything on the wish list has been added in the latest firmware. Only issue now is the losing Bluetooth connectivity, which in my experience, is pretty standard for these products.

I've got to update you guys on my situation with the 2800.com not connecting to my phone.

Basically, there were some bad rangefinders in the current production run of which I got 2 of them. Leica customer service went out of their way next daying a replacement to me and when that one did not work either they put me in contact with one of their marketing guys that happens to live in my town and we met up so that he could loan me his 2800.com to get me through the weekend until my replacement unit showed up (I was heading out on a mule deer hunt for the weekend).

In years past there has been question marks about Leica customer service. Through this issue I've been having with the new 2800.com they have completely removed any question in my mind about their commitment to their customers and standing behind their product.

Also, they've gone through their complete inventory and checked every single unit and sent back those that are defective. If you order one from this point forward it will be tested by a tech before being shipped out.

I'm extremely impressed with Leica's customer service. Any company has a chance of having a bad run of products, it's how they handle it that determines whether I'll continue to be a customer and they've made a customer of me for life.

Also thanks to @gr8fuldoug and his guys for the great service on their end as well.

I've got to update you guys on my situation with the 2800.com not connecting to my phone.

Basically, there were some bad rangefinders in the current production run of which I got 2 of them. Leica customer service went out of their way next daying a replacement to me and when that one did not work either they put me in contact with one of their marketing guys that happens to live in my town and we met up so that he could loan me his 2800.com to get me through the weekend until my replacement unit showed up (I was heading out on a mule deer hunt for the weekend).

In years past there has been question marks about Leica customer service. Through this issue I've been having with the new 2800.com they have completely removed any question in my mind about their commitment to their customers and standing behind their product.

Also, they've gone through their complete inventory and checked every single unit and sent back those that are defective. If you order one from this point forward it will be tested by a tech before being shipped out.

I'm extremely impressed with Leica's customer service. Any company has a chance of having a bad run of products, it's how they handle it that determines whether I'll continue to be a customer and they've made a customer of me for life.

Also thanks to @gr8fuldoug and his guys for the great service on their end as well.
It's good to hear about Leica's customer service however, implicit in the price of this unit is an expected higher than average level of quality control. I don't see that it existed in this case. I'm hesitant to even consider this unit as a replacement for my Vortex 4000.

It's good to hear about Leica's customer service however, implicit in the price of this unit is an expected higher than average level of quality control. I don't see that it existed in this case. I'm hesitant to even consider this unit as a replacement for my Vortex 4000.
If you don't need BT connectivity to a Kestrel then there is no need to upgrade, you would not be gaining anything over your Vortex HD 4000

If you don't need BT connectivity to a Kestrel then there is no need to upgrade, you would not be gaining anything over your Vortex HD 4000

What I am hoping to gain in moving from the Razor HD 4000 to the Leica 2800 is the ability to return reliable ranges consistently.

If I hadn’t ranged everything with a Terrapin beforehand, nor knew what the ranges should be, I would have had unreliable data from the HD 4000. I regularly had to use first, last, ELR mode to get reliable ranges w/ the HD 4000. My beam was somewhere in the upper half around the 10-11 O’Clock area. Sometimes I would laze over or under depending where the target was in the upper half.

Conditions also seemed to impact the HD4000 more than others. Throughout my time testing it didn’t give the same results under similar conditions.

It worked, but you had to be patient and use ELR/First/Last modes to bring out accurate ranges. All ranging was done from a tripod. I was ranging 6-12” Steel plates out to 1k. From 1-2.5k we were ranging random non-reflective objects and confirming with the Terrapin.

From what I have seen and read, the Leica 2800 seems to be more consistent at returning reliable ranges. At this point BT and the range cards are just an added bonus.

What I am hoping to gain in moving from the Razor HD 4000 to the Leica 2800 is the ability to return reliable ranges consistently.

If I hadn’t ranged everything with a Terrapin beforehand, nor knew what the ranges should be, I would have had unreliable data from the HD 4000. I regularly had to use first, last, ELR mode to get reliable ranges w/ the HD 4000. My beam was somewhere in the upper half around the 10-11 O’Clock area. Sometimes I would laze over or under depending where the target was in the upper half.

Conditions also seemed to impact the HD4000 more than others. Throughout my time testing it didn’t give the same results under similar conditions.

It worked, but you had to be patient and use ELR/First/Last modes to bring out accurate ranges. All ranging was done from a tripod. I was ranging 6-12” Steel plates out to 1k. From 1-2.5k we were ranging random non-reflective objects and confirming with the Terrapin.

From what I have seen and read, the Leica 2800 seems to be more consistent at returning reliable ranges. At this point BT and the range cards are just an added bonus.
I had not realized the HD 4000 was having some of those issues. The beam divergence is pretty narrow on the 2800.COM, I've been able to laze through some pretty impressive situations and then sometimes I've had conditions that were very difficult to get a reading. I think they all have their shortcomings. Overall I'm very pleased with the 2800.COM and love the interaction with the Kestrel, that's a slick interface, not perfect but pretty cool.

Mine came in yasterday. Connects to kestrel, not to phones or iPads, installed the app on 4 devices. Leica said I could return it to retailer or them, I was going to use them but the email I got said to fill out a form and they would get me a repair quote. Lolz. It’s going back to the retailer after that, not sure what to go with now. Seems nice but they lost me today. 7/30/2019 date on it.

Mine came in yasterday. Connects to kestrel, not to phones or iPads, installed the app on 4 devices. Leica said I could return it to retailer or them, I was going to use them but the email I got said to fill out a form and they would get me a repair quote. Lolz. It’s going back to the retailer after that, not sure what to go with now. Seems nice but they lost me today. 7/30/2019 date on it.
Several months ago, I was going back and forth as to purchasing the Leica 2800 or the Vortex HD 4000. The Vortex was more than adequate for my shooting, which is out to 600 yards but the Leica was very appealing. Chose the Vortex and glad I did based on comments of various forum members. So far, the Vortex appears to be very accurate out to 600 yards and the glass if very good.

Anyone having trouble with the 2800.com connecting to the 5700 Elite AB Kestrel? It seems like mine quite often will connect right away if I switch Kestrel from mobile to device, then immediately power up the 2800. But then after that 5 minutes later if power up or wake-up the 2800, the 2800 display will just spin and flash the BT symbol. AND not let me take any range.

Leaving hunting for a week tomorrow and I'm worried this is gonna bite me when the pressure is on...

Anyone having trouble with the 2800.com connecting to the 5700 Elite AB Kestrel? It seems like mine quite often will connect right away if I switch Kestrel from mobile to device, then immediately power up the 2800. But then after that 5 minutes later if power up or wake-up the 2800, the 2800 display will just spin and flash the BT symbol. AND not let me take any range.

Leaving hunting for a week tomorrow and I'm worried this is gonna bite me when the pressure is on...
If the Kestrel goes to sleep, you have to wake the Kestrel first then wake the Leica, I believe that is the recommended order. Doc USMC put up a video on connecting

Thanks @DocUSMCRetired for the video, without it I would have been lost. The Leica instruction booklet isn’t much help.

I am really impressed with the unit. The Leica to Kestrel connection is pretty quick. Much quicker than phone to kestrel or Leica to phone. I got the range card working and am really digging that function.

My only minor gripe is if the Leica elevation readout would display to the hundredth, which would allow you to determine if you are rounding up or down.

I have only played with the unit for a couple hours and only to 500 yards so I am sure I will have more thoughts as I get more experience with it.

I got my new 2800 to connect to my kestrel, but I haven’t been able to get it connect to 2 different iPhones or an iPad. Is there some trick I’m missing that I can try before reaching out to Leica customer service?

I got my new 2800 to connect to my kestrel, but I haven’t been able to get it connect to 2 different iPhones or an iPad. Is there some trick I’m missing that I can try before reaching out to Leica customer service?

have you gone to the bluetooth setting in the Leica and set it to APPS?