Rifle Scopes  New Leupold Reticle

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2006
New Mexico
www.opticsthoughts.com
Looking at the pictures I like this reticle and I think it will really kick ass in the Mark5. I wonder if they will make an illuminated version. If they do without going crazy with pricing, the little 3.6-18x44 Mark5 will be an absolutely spectacular crossover design.

When I say spectacular, I mean that I will buy it.

I tested two Mark5 scopes in the past (3.6-18x44 and 7-35x56) and liked them both for the money quite a lot. I think Mark 5 is a very solid design and the one think it was lacking was reticle options. This new design really helps with that.

As far as 0.2 vs 0.25 mrad goes, I remember criticizing Sightron for doing that, but with Leupold, it is a little different and it might help Sightron too.

For a small player like Sightron to go against the grain, so to speak, is very risky. However, Leupold is a much bigger company and a much bigger name. They can create their own ecosystem if they want to. They might still get burned for that, but I doubt it. They have enough brand equity and marketing muscle.

ILya

4RingShooter

Classified
PX Member
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2013
Norcal
Here's some info I can give you guys since I think they threw it up on their site a little early.

The PR2 will be non illuminated at this time but may be optional in the future. The problem is you need to thicken up the lines slightly in order to have enough composition in it to reflect the light for illumination.

They are releasing a PR1 version that will not have a Tree but will come illuminated and non illuminated.

I don't think the PR2 will be in the 3-18 at this moment but hopefully they do down the road. The PR1 Mil Non-illum and illum will be in both the 3-18 and 5-25.

Glassaholic

Send it!
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Black Forest, CO
    Here's some info I can give you guys since I think they threw it up on their site a little early.

The PR2 will be non illuminated at this time but may be optional in the future. The problem is you need to thicken up the lines slightly in order to have enough composition in it to reflect the light for illumination.

They are releasing a PR1 version that will not have a Tree but will come illuminated and non illuminated.

I don't think the PR2 will be in the 3-18 at this moment but hopefully they do down the road. The PR1 Mil Non-illum and illum will be in both the 3-18 and 5-25.
    ^^^That's very helpful.

The PR2 would be a benefit to the 3.6-18 as well, especially for SPR/DMR applications, that being said, an illuminated PR1 could be a very nice crossover scope option that I could see on a hunting/long range rig. Of course, if Burris would come out with illumination and a thicker SCR2 reticle for their XTR III 3.3-18 that could give the Mark 5 some serious competition. Who will make it available first and will Leupold charge $500 for it when it's available, that could make a difference as well.

Just nice to finally see a decent reticle from Leupold.

Reactions: beetroot

SageRatSafaris

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 13, 2018
    Oregon
    sageratsafaris.com

For the curious, here's what the PR-1 MOA reticle looks like (available on Mark 5HD MOA models). I assume you mean Leupold will be releasing a PR-1 MIL in the future.

4RingShooter

Classified
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 20, 2013
    Norcal
    For the curious, here's what the PR-1 MOA reticle looks like (available on Mark 5HD MOA models). I assume you mean Leupold will be releasing a PR-1 MIL in the future.

Yessir, did not put it in the entire post but managed to slip it in at the end lol.

verdugo60

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    the more I think about this reticle, the more I like it. very easy to find 1/2 mil from a glance

Same, at first it bugged me not being .2 but I like that it’s more open and .25 is workable.

I can see how some might be bothered i.e.
    if they see .6 of wind correction needed and have to hold .5 or .75 but does it really matter? .1 of wind probably won’t be the determining factor.
    I was thinking about this shooting off barricades yesterday with my .2 mil scope and it’s not that big of a deal for that kind of shooting. Your wobble zone and wind variance is playing a much bigger role vs .1 on your reticle. I may order one through the LE/MIL program soon if they’ll let me.

4RingShooter

Classified
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 20, 2013
    Norcal
    Same, at first it bugged me not being .2 but I like that it’s more open and .25 is workable.

I can see how some might be bothered i.e.
    if they see .6 of wind correction needed and have to hold .5 or .75 but does it really matter? .1 of wind probably won’t be the determining factor.
    I was thinking about this shooting off barricades yesterday with my .2 mil scope and it’s not that big of a deal for that kind of shooting. Your wobble zone and wind variance is playing a much bigger role vs .1 on your reticle. I may order one through the LE/MIL program soon if they’ll let me.

That's what I like about the .25 mil holds, if you need .6 hold edge of the .5 line. To me it's easier/faster, especially with the added pressure of a clock or similar. Add a position to the mix other than prone and the reticle helps out even more.

Burdy

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2013
    That's what I like about the .25 mil holds, if you need .6 hold edge of the .5 line. To me it's easier/faster, especially with the added pressure of a clock or similar. Add a position to the mix other than prone and the reticle helps out even more.
    I don't shoot PRS but I shoot Run and Guns with an LPVO at distance and I have found that any reticle that reduces counting of lines under pressure is a good one.

Burdy

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2013
    If they have illumination for a reasonable price i'll be outfitting a lot of hunting rifles with the MK5.
    The batteries could be dead in all my illuminated scopes and I would never know. Maybe its just me but the times where illumination has matter has been virtually non-existent. Typically, even at the lowest setting it does nothing but hinder my low light view at dawn and dusk. And if it's really dark, I run NV. Daytime, non illuminated, Dawn and Dusk, non illuminated so my vision is adjusted for the low light, and night time...NV.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    The batteries could be dead in all my illuminated scopes and I would never know. Maybe its just me but the times where illumination has matter has been virtually non-existent. Typically, even at the lowest setting it does nothing but hinder my low light view at dawn and dusk. And if it's really dark, I run NV. Daytime, non illuminated, Dawn and Dusk, non illuminated so my vision is adjusted for the low light, and night time...NV.

While i share the sentiment i've been in situations quite a bit with FFP where I dialed back due to low light and without illumination is was a bit of a pain. It's not a must have but it's kind of like the tree reticle. I might never use it practically but i have it if i need it.

TheBrokePilot

Private
    Minuteman
    May 27, 2019
    CA
    Does anyone with insider info know when Leupold is going to reopening ordering for these on their website? At the price point and with the new reticle I am in for one.

I would love if they brought the reticle to the 3.6-18 too. Would be a great optic pairing for an ACC that is in need of a scope.

BigBlastin300win

Private
    Minuteman
    May 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    I understand the discount for mil/le but why doesn't leupold recognize their market and give back to the people who have supported them for so long? I haven't had a different scope then leuy except for my 1st NF a couple years back.....love it but back to leupold. Low light clarity, price point, durability, and......of course weight!!! Can i get a mil/le discount for christmas?? Im trying to get a vx5hd :)

SepticDeath

Live Free or Die!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 1, 2014
    Indiana
    I understand the discount for mil/le but why doesn't leupold recognize their market and give back to the people who have supported them for so long? I haven't had a different scope then leuy except for my 1st NF a couple years back.....love it but back to leupold. Low light clarity, price point, durability, and......of course weight!!! Can i get a mil/le discount for christmas?? Im trying to get a vx5hd :)
    Give uncle Sam at least 4 years of your life or maybe much, much more and then you can have a discount.

GUNNER10

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 10, 2005
    md

I think that Leupold is following the glock template, where they are willing to make a minimal amount on a certain percentage of optics in hopes of gaining institutional users, and using that adoption as a marketing point.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win

BigBlastin300win

Private
    Minuteman
    May 30, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Yeah I wish it was back to the good old days. The scopes that I grew up shooting where tits!! Tough as shit, great in all condtions (super shitty, fog, wet,etc) and hold a zero. All the articles im reading on the new stuff scares me away but I have ran a fixed 6 since I got behind the trigger. Moved to the variable now. NF has been great just heavy as hell and bomb proof. My dad has a vx5hd right and was looking through it these season while hunting. Looks super clear but also a little cheap. I'll obviously have to fork over the cashto find out for myself which sucks. So much misinformation these days. Might make an offer on a mark 5 but I want to stick around 20 ounces

Yoteski

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    Yeah I wish it was back to the good old days. The scopes that I grew up shooting where tits!! Tough as shit, great in all condtions (super shitty, fog, wet,etc) and hold a zero. All the articles im reading on the new stuff scares me away but I have ran a fixed 6 since I got behind the trigger. Moved to the variable now. NF has been great just heavy as hell and bomb proof. My dad has a vx5hd right and was looking through it these season while hunting. Looks super clear but also a little cheap. I'll obviously have to fork over the cashto find out for myself which sucks. So much misinformation these days. Might make an offer on a mark 5 but I want to stick around 20 ounces
    781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

GUNNER10

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 10, 2005
    md
    About? I know there are better scopes out there. Im trying to stay within the $1000-1500.....care to elaborate?

I really can not comment on overall scope quality historically, but there are deals to be had, and keep an eye on eurooptics demo section, you can find a really good deal stuff. Ive seen Mk's pop up in your price range

Reactions: BigBlastin300win

Hogrider2000

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2017
    Give uncle Sam at least 4 years of your life or maybe much, much more and then you can have a discount.
    that would be nice if it were true. I did four in the USMC, and 30 in the FBI and while in the FBI I got a LE discount. After retrurning from Afghanistan several years ago as a contractor I contacted them for another purchase. Their response was I had to be retired from the military. I said I was retired FBI. Basically the response back was the same. I have had excellent customer response when sending scopes in for work but NOT SO MUCH with the LE/MIL program.

Not complaining, just giving out info!!!

JGR1953

What the fuck....over
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2017
    that would be nice if it were true. I did four in the USMC, and 30 in the FBI and while in the FBI I got a LE discount. After retrurning from Afghanistan several years ago as a contractor I contacted them for another purchase. Their response was I had to be retired from the military. I said I was retired FBI. Basically the response back was the same. I have had excellent customer response when sending scopes in for work but NOT SO MUCH with the LE/MIL program.

There is a link for "U.S. Military Veteran" in the VIP program.
    Just follow the instructions and send them a copy of your DD214.

Glassaholic

Send it!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Black Forest, CO

Leupold used to only offer their discount to Active Duty Mil/LE or retired as you were told, but late last year or early this year they opened up their program to include Veterans as well, Nightforce has done the same. I'm assuming the pressure from Vortex, Bushnell and others who offer Mil/LE discounts to veterans as well made them reconsider their requirements.

That being said, I have found that numerous Hide vendors can match and sometimes beat Mil/LE pricing from various manufacturer's so it always pays to call up and ask. The usual suspects are (in no particular order):
    • CS Tactical (Richard)
    • Liberty Optics (Scott)
    • Cameralandny (Doug)
    • Eurooptic (Jason)
    • Sport Optics (Ben)
    • Mile High (ask for LE)
    • Bison Tactical (Fred)
    • MTM (Tyler)
    I'm sure I missed someone who also sells optics so I apologize, but these were the ones that came to mind that I've worked with in the past and they've all been extremely helpful.

4RingShooter

Classified
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 20, 2013
    Norcal
    It's nice that a lot of companies can give back to those who have served or are currently serving, either Military, Gov or LE wise. It's a service that some are able to offer while others aren't due to lower margins available. Some think the MIL/LE/Veteran programs offer the best possible price but there may be other fees and lead times involved that don't always make it the best option for each individual.

I'm truly grateful for those that choose to and are able to offer these discounts but I've also never held anything against those companies that are just not able to give discounts on their products.

All that being said the MK5 5-25 with PR2 reticle at a $2000 price point is hard to beat currently.

Last edited:
    Reactions: mdazzo

TheBrokePilot

Private
    Minuteman
    May 27, 2019
    CA
    Hoping this gets into the 3-18 as well. Sad I missed out on the 5-25 initial offering.

This is a reply I received from leupold asking if the pr2 reticle would be available in the 3.6-18x.

“The PR-2 reticle, being designed predominantly for PRS/NRL style competition, is not currently available in the Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44mm riflescope.
    Sincerely, Baer”

Doesn’t seem like they have any intention of bringing it to the 3.6-18x. Disappointing in my opinion as it looks less cluttered than their other Christmas tree reticle options.

Reactions: slowlearner