• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Leupold Reticle

Or make a PR3 and do the hashes in .2 increments. I will say I like the way they did the hashes, makes it look cleaner to my eyes. Logically it doesn’t make sense to me to do .25 hashes, and is a dealbreaker for me. If they ever wised up and did .2 I would go out and get it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: jarredsc
If you haven't noticed, precision shooters can be a pretty finicky bunch ;) Put up a reticle design and it will be both loved and hated within the same group so I understand it is a hard field to navigate. That being said I am surprised more manufacturer's don't understand the industry they're trying to market to better. Back in 2015 a little scope company from Austria shook things up when they introduced a new line of reticles in their 6-24x56 scope with strange parallax adjustment location at the top of the scope, you guessed it, Kahles. When they introduced their "Gen III" scope updates they also introduced a brand new reticle series called SKMR (nicknamed "schemer"), this new reticle design departed from the traditional .5 mil hash marks of most every other manufacturer and offered .2 mil hash marks and a fine center dot. As most of the Hider's already know, this reticle garnered a lot of attention from the community, especially those interested in the PRS style sports and long range dynamic shooting. But how did this "little mom and pop" scope company from half way across the world figure out a reticle that worked so well for shooters here in the states? I'm not sure which came first for Kahles, hiring Jeff Huber (of Nightforce fame and now owner and founder of ZCO) or building a relationship with Shannon Kay (owner of K&M Shooting Complex), but Kahles listened and soon the "Shannon Kay Milling Reticle" or SKMR was born and began to take the competition scene by storm as many shooters saw the advantage of making quick and precise adjustments with those .2 mil hash marks. Soon after other manufacturer's began to follow suit with their own .2 mil hash designs. But the point is that Kahles realized their knowledge gap with the American market and looked to partner with some experts in the industry to better address this new rising sport (PRS).

Oddly enough, three of the biggest holdouts are three of the largest scope manufacturers - Nightforce, Leupold and Bushnell. Nightforce finally woke up in 2018 with the introduction of the Mil-C followed by the Mil-XT reticles, Bushnell partnered with George Gardner of GA Precision (GAP) to create the G2 and G3 style reticles but these still use the traditional .5 mil spacing though the G3 tried with a couple little .2 mil ticks that don't seem to be that helpful with their location. But Leupold is the enigma, being a company founded right here in the USA you'd think they'd be tapped into the PRS base and I thought for sure when the Mark 5HD line was introduced they were going to have a new reticle that fit this .2 mil hash profile. Maybe because of their relationship with HORUS, which stands for "HORibbly Ugly S***" (okay, so I'm a bit biased :LOL: ), I don't know, but the TMR is about as plain as a mil reticle comes and the CCH and HORUS are just way too busy and distracting leaving many Leupold fanboys scratching their heads wondering when Leuppy would come out with a reticle that was more usable. Enter the PR2 Mil reticle and to be honest I'm still scratching my head wondering what young millennial engineer at Leupold went before the board and said, "now listen, we know that competition shooters love all these .2 mil hash reticles with Christmas trees that have reference points every full mil below horizontal, but we're not going to offer that...", "we're not?" the board responds perplexed, young millennial retorts, "no, because we're Leupold and we do things our way". Okay, it's doubtful it happened the way I envisioned, but coming out with a .25 mil hash spacing and providing Christmas tree horizontal reference every 2 full mils seems a bit odd. That being said, it is much better than the TMR and mosquito net reticles they've offered previously and I'll try to reserve judgement until we get some more real world field reports on it.

But to khuber's point above, why only in the 5-25 and 7-35? Why not put this reticle in the 3.6-18x44? To be honest, I'm not interested in the 5-25 and 7-35 (too much competition with better reticles, greater FOV, and the like in that market) but I am interested in the 3.6-18x44 but not many scopes in this range are as light or as short as the Leupold, which sets it apart from many others. I reviewed the 3.6-18x44 a couple years ago and was critical about certain features but overall really liked the scope and what it had to offer, but I won't touch these scopes (for my own personal use) with the current reticle offerings and high upcharge of illumination. For Leupold, it seems to be a dance of "two steps forward and one step back" and hopefully Leupold will soon find a dance partner who really knows how to dance ;)

One other boutique scope company has finally sought some advise from the US market and that company is March. I've always been intrigued at how their engineers can push the envelope so far with their 8x FFP erector designs but after reviewing the 3-24x52 a few years ago I felt they could really benefit with a good .2 mil design. Last year I had the opportunity to see a new reticle design by the Hide's own ILya (Koshkin) and at first I thought "okay, that works" but as ILya explained it to me I began to see the light and earlier this year I was able to review March's new 5-42x56 HM scope with ILya's reticle called the FML-TR1 and putting the reticle into some field use began to quickly see the advantages of the design and it has become my favorite reticle to date. I mention this to say that just because I may not think a reticle will work well on paper (or rather online), we really have to wait to see how it looks through the scope.

I really want to like the Mark 5 but can't bring myself to actually buy one.
As you said the reticle selection until now has been a bit rubbish.
Whilst this new reticle and the replacement TMR sound promising, the .25mil hashes and the 2mil tree just seem odd.
Add to that the cost for illumination, the narrow FOV and 35mm tube I don't think ill be buying a Mark 5hd.

I've had a VX6 and have a VX5HD that have both been excellent scopes, when the Mark 5hd was first bought out I would've bought one if I liked any of the reticles, but since Leupold has been so slow to release this new one and the VX5/VX6 has slowly slipped back into Fudd reticles only, I don't see too any Leupold scopes in my future.

I'm sure they sell a tonne of scopes to hunters and long range shooters but I'm just not feeling the Leupold vibes in my part of the shooting world.

A 3.6-18 with the new reticle and illumination at a reasonable price would be the only thing that could push me towards a Leupold.
The 44mm objective on the 3.6-18 does have some appeal but the 35mm tube means there are no ring options low enough to take advantage of it so you may as well get a 50mm objective lense scope.

That's not entirely true, there are some pretty low 35mm rings. TPS makes a 0.82", Hawkins does a 0.88" the scopes so short, getting too low can be a problem for barrel clearance as well.

Sorry you are right, the lowest I had found were the ARC M10s, .82" is probably too low for 50mm but about right for a 44mm.

I stand by the rest of my rant though.

Reactions: khuber84
I don’t remember, do you email for the LE pricing, or do they have a separate site now?
If I understand your question, you go to the VIP program section of their website where they outline the documentation needed. For me as a vet, I scanned and sent in my DD214.

You need to have an account on their website to do this.

Once you fulfill the documentation requirements, they eval it and will email back saying you are approved.

From that point forward, when you log into their site, you see you VIP pricing.

If I misunderstood the question, please disregard.

If I understand your question, you go to the VIP program section of their website where they outline the documentation needed. For me as a vet, I scanned and sent in my DD214.

You need to have an account on their website to do this.

Once you fulfill the documentation requirements, they eval it and will email back saying you are approved.

From that point forward, when you log into their site, you see you VIP pricing.

If I misunderstood the question, please disregard.
That's what I did.

has anyone been on the leupold website lately i noticed they don't have the mark 5 5-25 mil listed on there anymore but have all the other mark 5 scopes still?

Reactions: jymbeux
has anyone been on the leupold website lately i noticed they don't have the mark 5 5-25 mil listed on there anymore but have all the other mark 5 scopes still?
Interesting... It was there yesterday (or the day before) when I looked.

In above statements, they'll be doing a pr1-mil which sounds to be the same reticle minus the tree. I never hold elevation, but I do like the Pr2 reticle. Who are they to dictate that a prs/nrl guy has to use a 5-25 or 7-35 to get their best house reticle? The 3.6-18x44 is available in tremor reticles which are far more cluttered. Just listen to your customers and give em what they want!

Will the PR1 or PR2 reticle be available in the 7-35?

5-25 Mil is back up on the website, without the PR2 reticle listed this time...
Called Leupold about the 5-25 with the PR2, and got a CS rep that was about the best at the CYA game I've dealt with over there. I quote "We are having technical issues with the website..." I bout died laughing!!

Reactions: R_Swanson
I could see that in the 5-25 and the 7-35. But if they did a 2,000 limit on the 3.6-18 they would crush sales.

Reactions: RBERGER82
Called Leupold about the 5-25 with the PR2, and got a CS rep that was about the best at the CYA game I've dealt with over there. I quote "We are having technical issues with the website..." I bout died laughing!!
I am not so patiently waiting on mine. Ha!

Nope, as of the 21 rules on the PRS Website - 2500 or less
Rifle is 2500 or less scope 2,000 or less

Screenshot_20201229-213403_Drive.jpg

It was the 2020 rule book, I stand corrected. Then I guess it's not far off as making the new reticle all 2,500 then.

It was the 2020 rule book, I stand corrected. Then I guess it's not far off as making the new reticle all 2,500 then.
Yeah, no worries, I just figured posting the page would hopefully prevent a pissing contest. I see enough of that in the arguments over NRLs new Hunter matches!!🤣🤣

Reactions: Eric32
Hadn't seen the 2021 updates. Nice! Looks like my PRS Prod Rifle will be getting a new scope. The XRS II on it works but the relief is not a good fit for the short rail on it.

I tend to back up with facts, I can appreciate it. I was unaware they already had the new rules out, my fault.

Gen 2 razor 3-18 is now a good solid optic to use.

Reactions: RBERGER82
I tend to back up with facts, I can appreciate it. I was unaware they already had the new rules out, my fault.

Gen 2 razor 3-18 is now a good solid optic to use.
Not your fault, the reason they are out already is the blow-up with the production class at the finale. If you notice all the yellow changes, it has to do with the production class guns!!

At 2000 MSRP it was a great deal, at 2500 not so much... Hope they don't raise the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bravo6niner
Yes he did, we sell them at $1,999 and have a pre-order set up here https://www.cstactical.com/mark-5hd-5-25x56mm

If some of you went back a few pages, most of answers to your questions are in there :)
I must have missed it, sorry about that!! I'm waiting to see what they repost it at, I have and RO certificate from Leupold and im going back and forth - if they bring the PR2 back at the $1,999 ill probably use the certificate on one, otherwise ill probably use it on a VXi LR series scope!

I must have missed it, sorry about that!! I'm waiting to see what they repost it at, I have and RO certificate from Leupold and im going back and forth - if they bring the PR2 back at the $1,999 ill probably use the certificate on one, otherwise ill probably use it on a VXi LR series scope!

Bring it back? It was just released :) We have over 100 on order for 2021.

Bring it back? It was just released :) We have over 100 on order for 2021.
Oh they will bring it back, its just a question of when they catchup on the pre-orders. I'm not putting Leupold down, I just know how much of a bitch it can be to fulfill pre-ordered stuff sometimes!

anyone who got one for the original $2k msrp got super lucky me thinks.

even if MSRP changes hopefully actual cost doesnt just cause of PRS Production but i wouldnt be surprised

I'm hoping it stays there, thats a hell of a price to get into the MK5 line!!
I think it's more of a situation that Leupold knows what its competition is and priced the scope accordingly. It's been out a couple years now, so offering a new reticle and a lower price is honestly a wise move on Leupold's part

Dudes, some of you are not understanding. CSTactical is selling the dang scope RIGHT NOW for $1999. If you want it, buy it now.

If you don’t have the funds right now, then…dang.
I realize that, but if you noticed my post earlier, I have to purchase directly from Leupold, otherwise I'd have purchased it already! It not a question of price, but who I have to buy it from.

Reactions: carbonbased
Yea I am in the same boat, I am going through leupold direct. But I am willing to wait the new tactical XRS bushnell is coming out soon. So I'll see where that ends up before I make a move.

...the new tactical XRS bushnell is coming out soon. So I'll see where that ends up before I make a move.
But is it? In our post COVID world I would not hold out much hope on "soon" from any mfr... hopefully I'm wrong but just sayin' ;)