• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Shooter - FNAR Heavy Range Report

prime1010

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2011
Kansas City
Someone offered me this rifle with cheap Center Point scope, case, bipod,and 500 rounds Wolf ammo for a truck I was asking $1,090 for; I took it. I thought it would be interesting to try to learn a new platform with experience only shooting handgun and carbine.

Last week, I researched and read training material on this site and worked to set up the rifle to fit me by changing the comb height and LOP as well as re-mounting and leveling the scope. I finally made it out to the range yesterday. Here's my video report:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RO3Qafj7Mf8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RO3Qafj7Mf8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I only had 20 rounds yesterday, but I look forward to learning more about this rifle and practicing the fundamentals.

TLDR: Learned some things here, shot .9 MOA first group at 100 yds.

Re: New Shooter - FNAR Heavy Range Report

Congratulations on the new rifle! I dismissed these things at first but apparently they are capable of good performance despite some inherent weaknesses in the design. Some decent glass (perhaps a SS 10x?) will make a remarkable difference in how you shoot past a hundred yards. I would definitely say you got a good trade!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">apparently they are capable of good performance despite some inherent weaknesses in the design. </div></div>

can you be more specific ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lafayette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">apparently they are capable of good performance despite some inherent weaknesses in the design. </div></div>

can you be more specific ?</div></div>

Alot of guys are very turned off but the disassemble process.

I own an FNAR, it shoots lights out. Clover groups at 100 when I'm on my game.

I agree it is a little intimidating at first, but after you do it once you'll realize it's nothing. Also, from what I see, there is no need to make it a habit. The rifle keeps rockin several hundred rounds without a cleaning.

I understand it's not for everyone, but I sure do like mine!

61d4855c.jpg

By the way, good job for your first time shooting this type of rifle!

Just keep driven her and I'm sure you'll come along quickly!

Mark at SAC here does a trigger tune and it is the best $65 you can spend. With a better scope, 175gr ammo and trigger it is a 1/2-3/4 MOA rifle all day. For a semi rifle, it pretty much cant get better.

Im looking to pick one up - maybe the 16" - looking to mount a browning bar stock like others.

If i pick one up i will try out SAC thanks

FYI..The lights shoot better than the heavy on average. Makes no sense, cant say why but they do...and they are (lighter) to boot.

I have been exceptionally pleased with my FNAR. It will rival my AR10's enough times to tick me off based on the money in those AR10's!

I pulled it out last Saturday to check my sight in. Here is a pic of a 5 shot group. Only grouping I did for the day with the gun. The top shot was a barrel fouler and was not apart of the following 5 shots. Anyway, it was just a tad over 3/4" with 175 Federal SMK's. There has been lots of bad hype about the gun based on it's looks and the fact is was based on a hunting rifle. I have two Belgium Browning BAR's they shoot nothing like the FNAR for accuracy.

I am glad you like your new FNAR!

IMG-20110929-00111.jpg

fnar1.jpg