• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sierra reloading app

5pins

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2006
Charles Town, WV
Sierra just released reloading an app. It appears to be their data manual in an android app. The interface is kind of crappy and I hope they work on changing it. It has a free three day trial with a subscription of $4.99 a year. I guess the idea is to update data on a regular basis.

I will probably keep the subscription after the trial and see how it pans out over the next year.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sierrabullets.ReloadingManual

a yearly fee?

i don't have a ballistic app yet that requires that and don't plan to move to one

It's a "yearly subscription" of $4.99...would be handy to have but not sure how much I would use it...I use Hodgdon's online data for the most part...

a yearly fee?

i don't have a ballistic app yet that requires that and don't plan to move to one
It's not a ballistics app, it's a digital reloading manual. It's actually a really nice app. $4.99 annually is worth it in my opinion vs having to buy a $30 print manual every year to keep data updated.

Reactions: cruze5
Whew. I watched the Johnny's Reloading Bench video review and what a fucking TURD of an interface. Who are these people hiring to make apps?

I'll stick with a book, I guess.

Anyone know what happened to this app? I’ve been using it on an iPhone for a few years and found it useful, but noticed now it’s not even shown in the App Store any more.

I couldn’t ever get them to answer emails or phone calls about if they are ever going to fix the app or buy a new one on the iTunes/Google stores. I liked it

I couldn’t ever get them to answer emails or phone calls about if they are ever going to fix the app or buy a new one on the iTunes/Google stores. I liked it

I did get a reply this morning to my email asking about the subscription issues and why it wasn’t in the App Store, they just said “the app is no longer available”.

I wonder if the older people running some of these companies realize the need to keep up with modern times and reach the younger generations?

My guess is the Sierra app was poorly received, and for sure the main page was poorly designed, but they could have revised it instead of just deleting the whole thing. The actual load data pages were well laid out and helpful; I used it a lot and will miss it.

I did get a reply this morning to my email asking about the subscription issues and why it wasn’t in the App Store, they just said “the app is no longer available”.

I wonder if the older people running some of these companies realize the need to keep up with modern times and reach the younger generations?

My guess is the Sierra app was poorly received, and for sure the main page was poorly designed, but they could have revised it instead of just deleting the whole thing. The actual load data pages were well laid out and helpful; I used it a lot and will miss it.
So deleting the digital app forces us to buy the paper back manual… makes perfect sense!

Their most updated print manual is poorly constucted. The binding fell apart on mine in less than a year.
Shame as I like Sierra a lot.

Reactions: cruze5
So deleting the digital app forces us to buy the paper back manual… makes perfect sense!

Yeah, except for missing all the younger shooters who've figured out it's easier to carry a digital manual in your pocket than a big paper book...

I'm not even that young, but would still rather have the digital version.

Caveat - I always recommend a good paper load book for learning to reload, like the Speer manual, because of all the important learning stuff in the first half of the book. But for myself I just want the data and that's a lot easier on my phone.

I loved the Sierra app. It was helpful in working up loads, many of the suggested most accurate loads were spot on, and lined up almost exactly with loads I’d previously worked up without the app. I can’t see why they dropped this out. I bought more bullets from Sierra because of this app. Can’t find the paper manual online, or in my store. Some one should tell them, digital is the future, sort out the cost and get it back up and running.

Yeah, except for missing all the younger shooters who've figured out it's easier to carry a digital manual in your pocket than a big paper book...

I'm not even that young, but would still rather have the digital version.

Caveat - I always recommend a good paper load book for learning to reload, like the Speer manual, because of all the important learning stuff in the first half of the book. But for myself I just want the data and that's a lot easier on my phone.

Seems Hornady and Nosler put their data online for free too.

I liked the Nosler manual so much, I went out and purchased their book. Use both. At the time, I was really impressed. However, now as most of my loads are for PRS rifles and not hunting rifles nor IHMSA handguns, I refer to the online Hodgedon manual more than any other. It has so many rounds that the traditional books can’t keep up with.

Still, I always recommend having at least two, preferably three book manuals hanging around. The instructions to new reloaders are invaluable, and despite the best efforts, not every recommended load works in every firearm.

Examples found in a 40 something years of loading….Starting loads for the .223 handgun section in a popular manual nearly locked up my beloved little Kimber of Oregon Predator. It was a hot day). Further, one book recommended a load of 45 grains of H4350 for the 6.5 Creedmoor and a 130 grain bullet. Every other book recommended a max load of about 43 grains. It happens.

Caveat…IHMSA handguns are pretty much of a crapshoot, try to find something that works and be careful was always the plan of the day. Even when we shot factory rounds, they were always load quite differently than traditional loads (such as 80 grain Berger VLD’s in a .221 Fireball, or using SR4759 in the 7 Bench Rest) Mostly we shot unpublished wildcats.