• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig CROSS

Overall a lot of good ideas. Seems like a lot rifle for the money.
Dave, sure do appreciate your perspective on this rifle. Assuming one has a separate rifle for serious long range stuff... does it look like the Cross does light and fast a little better than a traditional bolt action rifle?

Reactions: hseII
Light and fast is where it's at. With a can it balances a couple of inches in front of the mag well. Easy to carry, balances well. Of course you can put a heavier, longer barrel on it and call it a long range rifle but I think it would be an odd bird being somewhat muzzle heavy. My two favorite hunting rifles are light weight fiber glassed stocked 20"-21" barreled rifles. They can be handled with one hand by the pistol grip. While different this rifle is just as handy.

As you can imagine I couldn't wait to tear into this rifle. Yesterday was spent getting familiar with it. trying hard not to break something. Making tooling for assembly and disassembly. Today was a new barrel. Scrounging around the shop I found an AR10 Bartlein 6.5 barrel left over from a project. Turned the breech down, shortened it up a bit. Finish length ended up 18 1/2". The AR barrel weighed a good bit less than the 3 lb. 18" factory barrel. When finished it weighted 7 ozs. less. All weights are with the extension installed. The rifle with mag weighed 6 lb 9 ozs. Add a Surefire brake and it is still under 7 lbs. . I installed a NF 2.5-10X32 in aluminum rings. Rifle with scope and Surefire can weighs 8.37 lbs.
One sighter, adjusted scope and the next 3, H 140 Amax, went into 1/2". Mission accomplished. Attached the Magneto Speed. H140 Amax 2625 FPS, BH's B140 Hybrids 2645 FPS Not for an 18" barrel. I polished the bolt cocking cam, I do on every build, and bolt lift was easy. With a small firing pin I need to see where the upper limit is on pressure. Fun two days. View attachment 7433006
Now that you’ve gotten to take it apart & really study it,

1. how big a deal to supply a .260 barrel rather than the Creed?
2. Is a LH version in the works as far as you know?

Now that you’ve gotten to take it apart & really study it,

1. how big a deal to supply a .260 barrel rather than the Creed?
2. Is a LH version in the works as far as you know?
I have 260 reamers with the following freebore lengths. .040", .050", .060", ,080", .090" and .110"
pick your poison.
LH not for awhile. They can't catch up on RH models and with the surge in firearms sales, I/me wouldn't do anything to distract from current production.

Reactions: hseII
Are the 6.5’s starting to ship

Got an email from Sportsman's Warehouse that said my Creedmoor (ordered 8/21) is on the way to my local store. Hoping to have it by the weekend!

Got the 550 all set up and ready to roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAVETOOLEY
Is that the Burris HD 2-10? do you feel it complements the rifle well? I’m looking for a good hunting scope for my Cross.

Yep, it's a Burris Signature HD 2-10. I think it matches my intended uses for the rifle well, it's fairly light, looks pretty good optically and I like the E3 reticle. That said, while I twist turrets on my range rifles, I like simple scopes on hunting rifles. I only really shoot meat out to 400 yds and prefer simple reticles, max mag around 10, and won't be dialing. The Signature HD does have locking turrets, but I don't really think I'd trust it for a lot of dialing (it is only $350), for my uses though, I like it and think it's a nice option for the price.

I picked up my Sig Cross yesterday. Fit and finish looks good. Bolt isnt "Tikka" smooth, but ok. I have a ERC Tac 30mm mount and Vortex LHT HD 3-15x44 scope to mount. Was REALLY looking forward to going hunting with this rifle in 2 weeks with some buddies.

As a few people mentioned, the magazine that comes with it doesn't lock in easily. Takes a few tries to get it to seat. The real problem is my stock - it does NOT fold easily. I tried it, and had 2 friends tried it and on avg 1-2 times out of 5 it will fold. I can't tell you how excited I was to use this rifle this weekend and break it in. When purchasing it, I didn't notice the stock was tough to work, there were 3 other guys there handling it to potentially buy it also, I just got the paperwork done first.

I did call Sig Sauer directly and they sent me a shipping label quickly to have them fix the problem. Not sure why their "master" dealers can't look at it first to fix, Sig says only their factory techs can fix it, which leads to a approx. 4 week turnaround for me! I have to say I am baffled WHY it would leave the Sig factory with this simple issue to fix. Makes me wonder about their Quality Control. Their response was quick, but I got the usual "I know how you feel bullshit" - I really despise that response from any customer service rep. Hopefully this is the ONLY issue I ever have with the rifle.

Last edited:
The real problem is my stock - it does NOT fold easily. I tried it, and had 2 friends tried it and on avg 1-2 times out of 5 it will fold. I can't tell you how excited I was to use this rifle this weekend and break it in. When purchasing it, I didn't notice the stock was tough to work, there were 3 other guys there handling it to potentially buy it also, I just got the paperwork done first.

I had the same issue with not getting it to fold while in the store. The sales guy tried all three of the rifles in stock and had the same problem with all of them. It was only after I got home that I realized you have to pull up on the stock while pushing the release button to lift it out of the notch that it locks into. Believe it is also mentioned in the manual.
You may already know this, but if not might be worth a try before sending it in...

Reactions: Gtscotty and wes1
I picked one up from Triangle Shooter's Academy last night and they had one more on the shelf. Very impressed with the rifle for the cost. I'm planning on using it at extended distances, so I opted for the NXS 5.5-22.

Anyone thinks this could be serviceable for intro PRS shooting? I know it's not a heavy, finely tuned set up, but with a gamechanger bag, would it be workable? I'm all about consolidating my firearms as much as possible, rather than having a dozen safe queens.

I had the same issue with not getting it to fold while in the store. The sales guy tried all three of the rifles in stock and had the same problem with all of them. It was only after I got home that I realized you have to pull up on the stock while pushing the release button to lift it out of the notch that it locks into. Believe it is also mentioned in the manual.
You may already know this, but if not might be worth a try before sending it in...
Thanks for replying. I'm aware you have to lift up on the stock to get it to fold. Still the same issue. The ONLY way to do it on my rifle (works 75%) is to put the muzzle into my carpet, hand on the rail pushing down (no scope mounted yet) and lift on the stock. Absolutely something wrong. Literally RUINING my upcoming trip.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it is anything like the fix (which I would assume it is) but my fix’s stock was super stiff and it took me a minute to figure out how to get it folded. With that rifle I’d usually use both thumbs to press down on the release point and kinda use my hip to push the stock up and over. ???

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it is anything like the fix (which I would assume it is) but my fix’s stock was super stiff and it took me a minute to figure out how to get it folded. With that rifle I’d usually use both thumbs to press down on the release point and kinda use my hip to push the stock up and over. ???
I appreciate your input, but it really shouldn't take that much effort. Watch the videos on youtube and they fold almost effortlessly. I was looking at the Fixx by Q and the Christensen Arms MPR, both fold pretty easily.

"Their response was quick, but I got the usual "I know how you feel bullshit" - I really despise that response from any customer service rep."

What were you hoping the customer service rep was going to say?

Reactions: jafo96
"Their response was quick, but I got the usual "I know how you feel bullshit" - I really despise that response from any customer service rep."

What were you hoping the customer service rep was going to say?

She said pretty much what I expected her to say. She was courteous and did her job ok, I just hate when people say "I know how you feel" - its meant well, but 99% of the time it's disingenuous. People just say things like that with really no meaning.

Thanks for replying. I'm aware you have to lift up on the stock to get it to fold. Still the same issue. The ONLY way to do it on my rifle (works 75%) is to put the muzzle into my carpet, hand on the rail pushing down (no scope mounted yet) and lift on the stock. Absolutely something wrong. Literally RUINING my upcoming trip.

So is it the spring tension holding the locking surfaces together that's keeping you from folding the stock, or is it that once you pull up and the locking surfaces clear each other, the hinge itself is too stiff to fold?

If it's the latter, it's probably not right, but if it's that the spring tension is pretty tight, mine is the same way. Folding it is a two handed job, I grab the pistol grip with my left hand and press the hinge button while pulling up on the stock with my right hand. I like the system on mine, the strong spring keeps the locking surfaces tightly mated and the stock very rigid.

Mine is the same as Gtscotty describes. Too be honest, I’m glad. I’ve had a couple of other folders that were loose and developed play with time. I like that the Tolerances are as tight as they are. It will probably only wear with use.

Reactions: Gtscotty
So is it the spring tension holding the locking surfaces together that's keeping you from folding the stock, or is it that once you pull up and the locking surfaces clear each other, the hinge itself is too stiff to fold?

If it's the latter, it's probably not right, but if it's that the spring tension is pretty tight, mine is the same way. Folding it is a two handed job, I grab the pistol grip with my left hand and press the hinge button while pulling up on the stock with my right hand. I like the system on mine, the strong spring keeps the locking surfaces tightly mated and the stock very rigid.

I honestly do not know. All I know is 2 other friends (gun people) tried to fold the stock and they were both like WTF?? This isnt working. I will go to one of Sig's "premier" dealers locally here in Las Vegas before I send to them just so they can see there's a problem. Maybe it's something that's a quick fix or adjustment.

Last edited:
As you can imagine I couldn't wait to tear into this rifle. Yesterday was spent getting familiar with it. trying hard not to break something. Making tooling for assembly and disassembly. Today was a new barrel. Scrounging around the shop I found an AR10 Bartlein 6.5 barrel left over from a project. Turned the breech down, shortened it up a bit. Finish length ended up 18 1/2". The AR barrel weighed a good bit less than the 3 lb. 18" factory barrel. When finished it weighted 7 ozs. less. All weights are with the extension installed. The rifle with mag weighed 6 lb 9 ozs. Add a Surefire brake and it is still under 7 lbs. . I installed a NF 2.5-10X32 in aluminum rings. Rifle with scope and Surefire can weighs 8.37 lbs.
One sighter, adjusted scope and the next 3, H 140 Amax, went into 1/2". Mission accomplished. Attached the Magneto Speed. H140 Amax 2625 FPS, BH's B140 Hybrids 2645 FPS Not for an 18" barrel. I polished the bolt cocking cam, I do on every build, and bolt lift was easy. With a small firing pin I need to see where the upper limit is on pressure. Fun two days. View attachment 7433006

Is there a confirmed spec for the max COAL for the magazine? Apologies if this was asked/answered earlier in the thread.

Sucks you have some minor challenges..... but seriously? Spare us the drama dude. I find it really hard to believe you’re going to miss a hunt because your rifle stock won’t fold.

I totally get your point, and I'm not a drama type person, but in this case, you are missing the point. The PROBLEM is if the stock can't fold- I can't remove the bolt to clean the rifle. (you must fold stock to remove bolt) I would NEVER, EVER shoot a rifle without cleaning first and making sure there's nothing in the bore. Also, I wanna follow Sig's recommendations for break in which is shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning, etc.... Gotta be able to have access to clean. At this point, I feel like you have to force the stock to fold with alot more pressure than what should be required.

I'm sure you can probably remove the comb riser, (to remove bolt) but I have some hand issues (service related injuries) that make sometimes "simple" stuff like this difficult for me. Last thing I wanna do is be taking more things off the rifle, re-assemble, etc... while at the range shooting while trying to break in the rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: All Hands In
Any sage wisdom on hunting/accuracy loads for 308? Planning to work up 168gr Barnes TTSX and Varget for black bear and deer. Unless someone has suggestions or guidance to consider other brands, weight, etc.?

Anyone thinks this could be serviceable for intro PRS shooting? I know it's not a heavy, finely tuned set up, but with a gamechanger bag, would it be workable? I'm all about consolidating my firearms as much as possible, rather than having a dozen safe queens.

Reactions: Bravo6
I totally get your point, and I'm not a drama type person, but in this case, you are missing the point. The PROBLEM is if the stock can't fold- I can't remove the bolt to clean the rifle. (you must fold stock to remove bolt) I would NEVER, EVER shoot a rifle without cleaning first and making sure there's nothing in the bore. Also, I wanna follow Sig's recommendations for break in which is shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning, etc.... Gotta be able to have access to clean. At this point, I feel like you have to force the stock to fold with alot more pressure than what should be required.

I'm sure you can probably remove the comb riser, (to remove bolt) but I have some hand issues (service related injuries) that make sometimes "simple" stuff like this difficult for me. Last thing I wanna do is be taking more things off the rifle, re-assemble, etc... while at the range shooting while trying to break in the rig.
It took a bit of cussing here to figure out how to get the stock to fold. There is a trick to it. Push the button down, put left pressure on the buttstock with the palm of your hand to relieve the pressure in the locking area, jiggle( technical term) and lift up. It takes some practice but it locks up solid.

It took a bit of cussing here to figure out how to get the stock to fold. There is a trick to it. Push the button down, put left pressure on the buttstock with the palm of your hand to relieve the pressure in the locking area, jiggle( technical term) and lift up. It takes some practice but it locks up solid.

Thanks for the input Dave. I've done my fair share of cussing over this issue for sure!! It's so tight it's like a fixed stock. I live in Vegas, so Im gonna drop by one of Sig's premier dealers tomorrow and see what they say. I've literally tried every way, hand combo, etc... you could possibly try. I'm 100% convinced there's a problem. My 2 buddies had issues also. The Cross rifle they had at the dealer (on display) the stock folded pretty easy, not even close to mine. I checked the rifle out and it was good to go- I thought that was going to be my rifle. What I found out later is they actually had another one in the box all packaged up (in backroom) that was actually mine.

If Sig says this is the way it is, I'll just sell it and buy another rifle. No sense being frustrated as hell over a rifle I'm already starting to hate. I do like the new Springfield Armory 2020 rifles!!

I shot mine some more yesterday. All the Rl16, 45.0 grs, I could get in the case with a 130. 2720 FPS w/ 18 1/2" barrel. Pressure was pretty warm but no change in bolt lift. I did shoot one more factory 130 gr. offering. High pressures. Ejector pin marks. As expected bolt lift got harder.

I was just screwing around with the folder on mine. I put a dab of grease on the lower locking surface and it made a noticeable difference on mine. Not as sticky. YMMV

I shot mine some more yesterday. All the Rl16, 45.0 grs, I could get in the case with a 130. 2720 FPS w/ 18 1/2" barrel. Pressure was pretty warm but no change in bolt lift. I did shoot one more factory 130 gr. offering. High pressures. Ejector pin marks. As expected bolt lift got harder.

Teach the ignorant (me) - do the high chamber pressures have any consequence other than a stickier bolt? Does it mean the rifle will eventually fail, break faster, affect accuracy, etc?

Teach the ignorant (me) - do the high chamber pressures have any consequence other than a stickier bolt? Does it mean the rifle will eventually fail, break faster, affect accuracy, etc?
First everything and anything can affect accuracy. Rifles are like women, they all like something different. Even when different is the same thing. Safe higher pressures are not hazardous. And will not affect the useable life span of the rifle. High pressures will, to some degree, shorten the barrel life. This rifle was designed for the 277 Fury round that has much higher pressures so the only thing you can wear out is the barrel. I got harder bolt lift because of brass flowing into the ejector pin hole. Common with any rifle.

I was just screwing around with the folder on mine. I put a dab of grease on the lower locking surface and it made a noticeable difference on mine. Not as sticky. YMMV
I seriously appreciate all the suggestions guys. I even tried the grease. I think the tolerance is too tight (somewhere) I have noticed when folded the stock does move up and down slightly as supposed to, but when stock is in shooting position trying to get that same movement to fold the stock is very difficult.

I did go back to the seller last night with the rifle and talk to the manager. I asked 5 guys (employees) to fold the stock and only 1 could get it to fold, but after some serious struggle. - going to send back to Sig and see what they say.

Any sage wisdom on hunting/accuracy loads for 308? Planning to work up 168gr Barnes TTSX and Varget for black bear and deer. Unless someone has suggestions or guidance to consider other brands, weight, etc.?

I'm moving and didn't have much time to do load development with a bunch of bullets yet, but 168gr Nosler BT's @ 2.85" over 41.8gr AR-Comp in Hornady cases with CCI 200s works well and gives ~ 2,595 fps (with a suppressor). Something along those lines could be worth a try, much higher than 42 and I get ejector marks, but you might be able to do a bit more with a less sucky brand of brass.

I greased the locking surfaces on mine right away (bearing surfaces under pressure can almost always use some grease IMO), and it smoothed up nicely.

Glad to find out about this QC concern before I buy one. Lets see what SIG says, how they re-act. It has taken forever for them to get them to market, perhaps they rushed it cuz all the distributors raising hell.

Doubt we're ever gonna see the .277 Fury

This!
Two drops of mobil1 on the hinge shaft and a dab of grease on the bearing surfaces...changed the folder from a two handed operation,to an easy one hand job.
(Work it open and close for a few minutes, then wipe of excess)

I found a cross in creedmoor at Bass Pro in Round Rock Texas. Apparently it was there for two weeks. I attached some weight pictures for reference. I have ARC low rings on the Leupold Mark 6, but I need slightly higher rings to clear the scope a bit more. Also added a picture of the whole package including my dead air Sandman S. Looks like it will be right at 11lbs by the time I add a bipod. The bolt lift makes me realize how terrible my remington 700 really was. Hope to get out and shoot it this week.

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7325.jpg
IMG_7324.jpg

After spending a fair amount of time with a pre-production Cross in .277, I took possession of a production 6.5 today. Gotta say, the fit and finish is much improved, as I hoped it would be. I liked the Cross concept, but had reservations about the folder mechanism, bolt operation, and a few other things. All of my concerns appear to be fixed/improved in the initial handling of the production rifle. Excited to get to the range with it soon.

Picked up my 6.5 yesterday, mounted my leupold 6x-hd and took it out for some fresh air today. After break-in, groups (5 round) were .213, .425, .700...hornady match 140gr, precision hunter, American whitetail...groups were shot at 100 yards. No issues with folder as long as you read the instructions and lift while closing...she is a shooter!

Pretty impressed so far. Picked up on Thursday and put rounds down range yesterday. Only had 10 rounds of factory Hornady 140 ELD's but they went into half-inch and 5/8 inch 5-shot groups. Played around with some home-rolled 123 gr Noslers over Staball 6.5 and had a couple of half inch 3-shot groups (yeah, yeah, I know) at 44.3 grains. Basically just trying to get a feel for the Staball. These were loaded on my 550. Looking forward to playing with that combo some more.

My 140 grain BTSP Sierra/RL17 hunting loads hovered around 3/4 inch.

Folding the stock is an acquired skill but mine is not too difficult after getting a feel for it. The mag release is gonna take a bit of getting used to but I think it makes sense on a hunting rifle.

9 pounds 15 ounces as pictured with optic & suppressor.
Screenshot_20201003-232618_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I will probably b e there with you

I thought the camo would be nice, but then realized the price difference (estimated, in Canukistan we still haven't got any yet) is the cost of a cerakote job of my preference... or a lot of Krylon 🤣