• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig CROSS

I just went to the safe and tested mine. I couldn't budge it by hitting it with my hand. If I smashed it on the ground fairly hard hard on the butt pad, I could get it to skip one setting shorter each time I hit it (only tried twice because I like the rifle). That would be an exponential amount more force than just recoil though. This was with the screw hand tight.

Mine hasn't budged, either in use or the few times I bounced it off the floor to test after reading one (maybe your?) account of stock collapse.

I guess I need to back off of that a bit, I just tried dropping the rifle butt first from 4-6 inches onto carpet and it skipped a slot on the third drop. That's more force than recoil alone would produce, but not a huge shock (I didn't want to slam it too much with the scope mounted).

Unfortunately no, but I believe my velocities are in line with what reported in post #1233.

Numbers (not mine) that I saw posted for the Cross running the 140 gr Berger’s and RL16 are:

42.5 gr = 2688
42.0 gr = 2643
41.5 gr = 2600

I used the jbmballistics calculator and accounting for the target being at 1020 yards (range finder) with a 12 deg incline, I dialed 9.7 mils of elevation. Working that backwards, I get a velocity of 2600 fps (as shown below).

View attachment 7628779View attachment 7628775
Thank you sir. I'm trying to see if it will make power factor for Nrl hunter series. A 140 has to go 2715 fps. I'll have to shoot 147s I believe.

2 words..."DUST COVER" finally a solution to a problem that didn't exist on a BAR. I can finally keep my bolt open all day and not worry about crap in the receiver.
Aw, they scrapped the dust cover?! Heck. Bolt guns are lacking in this area. On a cold range, I have to leave the bolt open. I also leave it open to cool the barrel. Sucks to have to stop shooting and the bring the gun home for cleaning just because the wind blew.

But you know, for every one shooter, there's at least 200 guys that buy guns, sight them in, and permanently install them in their safe. It's fine, except that all 201 of them have opinions.

Aw, they scrapped the dust cover?! Heck. Bolt guns are lacking in this area. On a cold range, I have to leave the bolt open. I also leave it open to cool the barrel. Sucks to have to stop shooting and the bring the gun home for cleaning just because the wind blew.

But you know, for every one shooter, there's at least 200 guys that buy guns, sight them in, and permanently install them in their safe. It's fine, except that all 201 of them have opinions.
I suppose if your rifle is that fragile, do what you need. My bolts stay open for cooling, never had an issue with wind or dust or ice or anything really affect its function. If you leave the bolt open and then close a dust cover how does the air flow through the barrel and action? No different than closing the bolt...but ya didn’t think of that. I only know that from shooting and carrying it around hunting and training. And when my Guns do get dirty...I clean them.

Is there a BAR with a dust cover in production? As stated if it’s not a problem you don’t need a solution. This is the kid of stuff people come up with at meetings that don’t use the product.

Yea I do agree there might be 201 opinions, some are just better than others. I guess that’s why bolt action rifles don’t have dust covers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drhorsepower

Depends on where and how you hunt, a dust cover probably isn't useful in TN, but there were many times out in WY where it would have been nice to keep the snow out of my actions while working through snow ladened dark timber or up slippery slopes. Add in a 3 position safety that locks the bolt as well and the Cross would have been about perfect. As it is it's not perfect but still good enough to keep around.

Also, dust blowing into actions at matches is a real thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twinsen
I suppose if your rifle is that fragile, do what you need. My bolts stay open for cooling, never had an issue with wind or dust or ice or anything really affect its function. If you leave the bolt open and then close a dust cover how does the air flow through the barrel and action? No different than closing the bolt...but ya didn’t think of that. I only know that from shooting and carrying it around hunting and training. And when my Guns do get dirty...I clean them.

Is there a BAR with a dust cover in production? As stated if it’s not a problem you don’t need a solution. This is the kid of stuff people come up with at meetings that don’t use the product.

Yea I do agree there might be 201 opinions, some are just better than others. I guess that’s why bolt action rifles don’t have dust covers.

It amazes me that a person can be this wrong and so adamant. It's like the gerbil is running backwards.

My rifles are made of pathetic, fragile steels. Your rifles must be made of diamond, because they're harder than sand.

To clarify, what makes your bolt rifles immune to foreign junk that would affect automatic rifles? I really want you to think this one through.

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
I'm guessing probably being in TN they haven't really tried shooting out west where you could get enough dust blown in your action within a couple minutes to make chambering a round not a good idea. (And good luck cleaning out your chamber when the wind is blowing the dust hard...)

The barrels use a barrel extension, so they are pretty well all pre fit. Dave Tooley has posted his barrels and pricing before, I'll attach a copy. It was 6 months ago so with the world the way it is, prices may have changed. I'm with you on the different bolt heads, I'm ready to start swapping barrels just for fun, especially if I find a good ammo deal.

View attachment 7630749
You can shoulder up the barrels with out the barrel extension as well. I know Tooley has done them that way and we did my rifle and Tracy's rifle in cfw barrels that way.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: brazz04
.277 Sig Fury would be really nice if they could hurry up and get the ammo made & out for order.
That would be a really hard hitting hunting platform in a compact package.

Reactions: Dcubano
.277 Sig Fury would be really nice if they could hurry up and get the ammo made & out for order.
Agree. This will be my elk setup and love the fact i can get so much energy downrange in such a compact rifle. Going to get the longer barrel to hit that 3300 fps

It amazes me that a person can be this wrong and so adamant. It's like the gerbil is running backwards.

My rifles are made of pathetic, fragile steels. Your rifles must be made of diamond, because they're harder than sand.

To clarify, what makes your bolt rifles immune to foreign junk that would affect automatic rifles? I really want you to think this one through.
Again...

1. Does ANY manufacturer make a BAR with a dust cover to solve your problem?

2. Explain how the air blows through your imaginary BAR with the dust cover closed for cooling? (Does your spotter need to help with that part?)

3. No need to prove I’m right or wrong...the industry standard has proven, in the field, at a match, and in military combat that you don’t need one.

What’s next you want a dust cover for your Glock?

To answer your questions, my files are made of various metals and composites. I don’t close the dust cover on my SAR...not all semiautos have dust covers. Can’t think of ny of my shotguns or handguns that have it either. Either you eat to many crayons or you’re A little different.

Nice attempt to troll from a 2019 post...

Last edited:
Again...

1. Does ANY manufacturer make a BAR with a dust cover to solve your problem?

2. Explain how the air blows through your imaginary BAR with the dust cover closed for cooling? (Does your spotter need to help with that part?)

3. No need to prove I’m right or wrong...the industry standard has proven, in the field, at a match, and in military combat that you don’t need one.

What’s next you want a dust cover for your Glock?

To answer your questions, my files are made of various metals and composites. I don’t close the dust cover on my SAR...not all semiautos have dust covers. Can’t think of ny of my shotguns or handguns that have it either. Either you eat to many crayons or you’re A little different.

Nice attempt to troll from a 2019 post...
1. I don't know of one.

2. Airtight and sand tight are two different things, but there's the magwell if I needed a place for more air.

3. Citation needed, because you're 100% wrong.

Please, continue to use an array of fallacies instead of addressing my question or the issue at hand.

I'll make it simple.

Explain why sand in the action is not a hindrance. Show your work. Or sight a source that says sand in the action in one of our 15 wars in the middle east wasn't a problem. Until then, it's overwhelmingly obvious that you're wrong and doubling down on it.

Note: I have first hand experience. You. Are. Wrong.

Depends on where and how you hunt, a dust cover probably isn't useful in TN, but there were many times out in WY where it would have been nice to keep the snow out of my actions while working through snow ladened dark timber or up slippery slopes. Add in a 3 position safety that locks the bolt as well and the Cross would have been about perfect. As it is it's not perfect but still good enough to keep around.

Also, dust blowing into actions at matches is a real thing.
I shot a couple of matches using my 1908 Mauser in 7x57.
Had to leave action open between strings and when moving. This was near Dam Neck Virginia. I most certainly had issues with dust in my rifle.

motorcycle-fesh-fesh-01.jpg

It is my understanding that there will be two different types of 6.8/277 Fury ammo. One that is available to the general public and another strictly for military. The military load is much hotter load and there fore not available to the public.

Time will tell though once everything is released.

different animal but ive seen benchrest rifles bolt not close on light wind fine dust conditions.

most guys put a rag over the top for a reason

grit>space=bad day lol

You can shoulder up the barrels with out the barrel extension as well. I know Tooley has done them that way and we did my rifle and Tracy's rifle in cfw barrels that way.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
I don't understand how you could remove the barrel extension from the system, it's set up very similar to an AR. Or are you saying you could keep the same barrel extension and headspace a barrel to shoulder directly up to the extension?

Does anyone know if the barrel threads are a common pattern? Would be neat if you could take Savage or Remage prefits and swap them into your existing barrel extension.

I don't understand how you could remove the barrel extension from the system, it's set up very similar to an AR. Or are you saying you could keep the same barrel extension and headspace a barrel to shoulder directly up to the extension?

Does anyone know if the barrel threads are a common pattern? Would be neat if you could take Savage or Remage prefits and swap them into your existing barrel extension.
I know The Fix originally used a barrel extension with a lock nut that was used to adjust headspace. A few guys eliminated the lock nut and shouldered the extension to the barrel with correct head space.

Maybe The Cross does similar, and Tooley is eliminating the lock nut.

I agree, I don't see a way to eliminate the barrel extension.

I'm also curious to know what the base thread is

Major diameter on the threads is 1". I forget the pitch. The diameter to use it as a shouldered barrel is 1.100". That's enough of a shoulder for non mag calibers. If I recall correctly you cannot go over the 1.1" diameter as you need that as your max to clear anything inside the handguard fitting wise.

I don't have a picture of the guy laying around at this time but I can post a picture of it. The barrel is cfw and in green.

16 threads per inch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gtscotty
Thank you, Sir! I was checking that out but more curious about our short barrels.
I haven’t been able to find more of the Berger’s in stock locally. I did manage to buy a box of Barnes 140 gr match bullets and found an other thread (not Cross), discussing the bullet using H4350.

The Barnes bullet is shorter and the profile is different. It looks like if I load these at the same COAL (2.870”) they would jump about .028” inches in the Cross.

Barnes Load Data (scroll to the bottom for the 140 gr bullets)

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to find more of the Berger’s in stock locally. I did manage to buy a box of Barnes 140 gr match bullets and found an other thread (not Cross), discussing the bullet using H4350.

The Barnes bullet is shorter and the profile is different. It looks like if I load these at the same COAL (2.870”) they would jump about .028” inches in the Cross.

Barnes Load Data (scroll to the bottom for the 140 gr bullets)
Thanks! I’ll be shooting hornady eld 140s and 147s as I have a pile of them. But trying to get in the ballpark of what rl16 behind a 140 can do. I think it’s going to be real hard to get a 140 to make power factor. I’ll probably end up shooting the 140s at local matches and 147 eldm at nrl hunter.

Just placed my order for mine, we’ll see if Cabelas 5-7 days is realistic.

So how does the handguard on these attach? Is it proprietary or AR style that clamps on the barrel nut?

Just placed my order for mine, we’ll see if Cabelas 5-7 days is realistic.

So how does the handguard on these attach? Is it proprietary or AR style that clamps on the barrel nut?
It attaches AR style, the manual has an assembly drawing of the hand guard and barrel nut. Don’t know if it’s proprietary, but my guess is yes. A lot of AR’s will have a barrel nut that needs to match the hand guard. It’s light weight and M-Lok, so I haven’t had a reason to remove it.

Reactions: Langford
It attaches AR style, the manual has an assembly drawing of the hand guard and barrel nut. Don’t know if it’s proprietary, but my guess is yes. A lot of AR’s will have a barrel nut that needs to match the hand guard. It’s light weight and M-Lok, so I haven’t had a reason to remove it.
The handguard doesn't mount to the barrel nut, it mounts to a receiver extension with 6 screws, kind of like the Aero M4E1 Enhanced uppers :

Pages 93 and 99 show it somewhat.

Last edited:
The handguard doesn't mount to the barrel nut, it mounts to a receiver extension with 6 screws, kind of like the Aero M4E1 Enhanced uppers :

Pages 93 and 99 show it somewhat.
Thanks for clarifying, I didn’t mean to say the Cross uses the barrel nut for the hand guard. Just that some AR’s do and are proprietary as well.

It is my understanding that there will be two different types of 6.8/277 Fury ammo. One that is available to the general public and another strictly for military. The military load is much hotter load and there fore not available to the public.

Time will tell though once everything is released.

I have it on (somewhat) good authority that the standard pressure .277 Fury ammo will be available and priced about like Sig's conventional hunting (or match if they offer it), and the steel case head / brass-hybrid case super-pressure hunting ammo will be priced much, much higher.

The price that was approximated (they said roughly / tbd) was $4-6 per round.

This was 8-9mos back, so agreed time will tell.

What velocity are you guys getting out of a 18 inch 6.5 ?
These, also firing the loads worked up for my Kimber, 127gr LRX + 43.5gr RL16 and 142gr + 43gr RL16, in the Sig run 2,735 fps and 2,680fps respectively.

IMG_20210309_073215613~01.jpg
Polish_20210417_095619883.jpg
IMG_20210523_222514429~01.jpg
IMG_20210523_222711058~01.jpg

It won't be news to you if you've read the barrel length articles on Rifle Shooter, but in general, the heavier bullets seem to lose less in shorter barrels.

Reactions: Ed123hawaii
These, also firing the loads worked up for my Kimber, 127gr LRX + 43.5gr RL16 and 142gr + 43gr RL16, in the Sig run 2,735 fps and 2,680fps respectively.

View attachment 7637759View attachment 7637763View attachment 7637764View attachment 7637765

It won't be news to you if you've read the barrel length articles on Rifle Shooter, but in general, the heavier bullets seem to lose less in shorter barrels.
On the Cross group that is using 140 gr bullets with 42 gr of RL16, seated at 2.810”. Which 140 gr bullets did you use?

On the Cross group that is using 140 gr bullets with 42 gr of RL16, seated at 2.810”. Which 140 gr bullets did you use?

140gr Speer Gold Dots. The rifle loves them, but I can't find any more. I have ~20 or so laid back for this fall because I'm curious to plunk a few deer and see how they do. I did find 400 129gr Interlocks and have a few loads with them for my Grendel so I figured I'd try them in the Sig as well.

Has anybody put a muzzle brake on there cross yet? Today I tried a pva jet last and the accuracy went to shit from 3/8 to 1.5 at 100yds. Tried taking it off went right back to shooting 3/8. Checked the brake to make sure the bullets weren’t making contact with it and there not. Anybody Elise having this problem?

Reactions: Ed123hawaii
Haven't heard that thus far. Ive shot mine with two different brakes and two different cans on those brakes. No accuracy change.

I’ve shot it bare and with a Dead Air Keymo brake without a noticeable change in accuracy. Perhaps too much torque on brake? Brake bore diameter?