• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sig CROSS

For the .277 Fury, which is the NGSW cartridge commercialized

I caved and bought the last .308 Cross within a few hundred miles this morning. I've just gotten to play with it a little, but in really liking the feel so far. It's kind of a bummer that the safety doesn't lock the bolt for a hiking hunter, but I knew that feature was missing going in.

Doesn’t the stock fold over the bolt, in essence locking the bolt out? Just means you have to hike with it folded...

The stock has a shit load of play when "locked" in the folded position, like 2.5" left/right and 1" up/down. I'd rather never fold that stock and lock the bolt with the controls personally (if that were an option), if you don't strap the stock down when folded it flops around like a fish out of water.

Mine is reasonably tight when folded, I'd guess 0.5" - 0.75" of play swing direction and 0.25" of play vertically, but there seems to be some spring tension pulling it against the rifle, so carried vertically I don't think flopping or noise would be a problem with mine anyway.

I guess I could fold the stock while hiking in places where I know the elk aren't, but I try not to spend too much time in those places. Basically when I'm hiking, I'm hunting and I need to be able to shoot quickly if something pops out of the next coulee, so the folding feature is mainly for compact transport in the truck. I do think safeties that lock the bolt are a better solution for hunting rifles, but I bought the Cross knowing full well it didn't have that feature, and I think I'll be able to make it work fine for me. I will say from what little time I've had to fondle the rifle, it seems like someone put a lot of thought into most of the details, I can't wait to get it out on the range.

I’ll try to take a video of mine tomorrow. Locks up fine, but the detent that catches it folded is really sloppy.

I'm still waiting to see someone's real life Chrono readings of the 277 fury

Speeds from a pre-production model I was able to test...

2020-05-16 10.58.43.jpg

I caved and bought the last .308 Cross within a few hundred miles this morning. I've just gotten to play with it a little, but in really liking the feel so far. It's kind of a bummer that the safety doesn't lock the bolt for a hiking hunter, but I knew that feature was missing going in.
Might be ugly but it damn sure works....
Rubber Band 2.JPG

Last edited:
So you want to run a SAUM or WSM in a barrel with a 1" diameter threaded tenon? Think about that for a moment.
Are a number of factory rifles with 1” tenon diameters not chambered in 300 wsm, most notably Winchester, Tikka and Sako ?

Dave Tooley is one of the last guys I would high stress on here about something like this.

It’s somewhat like calling Jerry Miculek a novice on the wheel gun.

Not that that is exactly what you are doing here - you seem more curious than pushy so that isn’t a whack on the snout. It’s just a note that THAT guy knows to the thousandth if an inch what he’s talking about. He’s probably personally seen the failure he’s talking about.

I did a bit of work for a gun company specializing in extension barreled guns.

I haven’t done any math on magnum calibers and extensions, but you run into issues with the extension cracking if it has to contain too much barrel expansion when the case is fired. Thinner chamber walls bring this into the realm of possibility.

Extensions are usually much harder than barrels, and while a traditional bolt action is usually harder as well, it’s also much thicker and tougher.

This doesn't even get into lug failure modes.
Thanks for pointing that out
I’m well aware of Dave Tooleys credentials, l was asking him to try and further my limited understanding. I can see how my post could have been interpreted as combative but it wasn’t intended that way

Reactions: Gtscotty
Thanks for pointing that out
I’m well aware of Dave Tooleys credentials, l was asking him to try and further my limited understanding. I can see how my post could have been interpreted as combative but it wasn’t intended that way
No problem here.
What works for the average hunter buying ammo off the shelf doesn't always work for hot rod reloaders. You know who you are.
Rule #1 in my shop is don't do anything to make the phone ring. Actions with 1" diameter tenons often violate that rule with WSM's and the like. The finer the thread pitch, the thicker the walls and more strength the tenon has. Winchester started with 1"-16 threads. The sidewalls were to thin and lead to extraction issues. I believe they went 1 1/6"-28TPI. I've never had one through the shop. Sig uses a fine pitch thread on the Cross. Smart people there.

So what do I win for the first broken Cross??
Appears that I have chamber issues,which resulted in a broken extractor.
All rounds were easy to chamber, but had some resistance opening the bolt. No pressure signs, but definitely signs of “rough” chamber. The second to last round stuck, but ejected easily when I ran the bolt a second time. The last round required a cleaning rod to bump it out. That’s when I
found a piece of shiny metal on the bolt face, that appears to part of the extractor(underside?)

I’ll be calling Sig Monday.

Attachments

• 1E4B4DD9-48AA-48BD-897A-756CCC44FF55.jpeg
    1E4B4DD9-48AA-48BD-897A-756CCC44FF55.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 401
  • A5FE0971-C036-4BBA-B1DB-A0037CC5B7E8.jpeg
    A5FE0971-C036-4BBA-B1DB-A0037CC5B7E8.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 7DDF9B80-EF42-4499-A44B-72B01877D1F7.jpeg
    7DDF9B80-EF42-4499-A44B-72B01877D1F7.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 284
  • A8F7B67C-77AD-4D83-A4B3-E34F72895B88.jpeg
    A8F7B67C-77AD-4D83-A4B3-E34F72895B88.jpeg
    784.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 0B4B188F-1B92-42A4-89E8-100C88FC1C37.jpeg
    0B4B188F-1B92-42A4-89E8-100C88FC1C37.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 4E2A7E14-77A5-4123-B7C2-AE9A7C4C5B83.jpeg
    4E2A7E14-77A5-4123-B7C2-AE9A7C4C5B83.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 910EDC59-3190-4869-BA2A-BF8BCCA267A4.jpeg
    910EDC59-3190-4869-BA2A-BF8BCCA267A4.jpeg
    763.3 KB · Views: 222
  • F3B44597-73C1-4A7F-ADF5-D435B60FB66C.jpeg
    F3B44597-73C1-4A7F-ADF5-D435B60FB66C.jpeg
    745.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 24EE10F2-29A7-4312-BABA-F9A0ECD81344.jpeg
    24EE10F2-29A7-4312-BABA-F9A0ECD81344.jpeg
    506.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 90743B20-139F-47BB-9F3F-796398EF6F1B.jpeg
    90743B20-139F-47BB-9F3F-796398EF6F1B.jpeg
    583.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 545FF353-0551-4DFE-8966-38FDBBDCE507.jpeg
    545FF353-0551-4DFE-8966-38FDBBDCE507.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: physguy88
When I was at Cabela’s buying mine I was told the bolt was already recalled and they had to be sent back to Sig. I don’t know how true this is, but seeing this is concerning. Sorry about your troubles Wes I hope Sig takes care of you.

So what do I win for the first broken Cross??
Appears that I have chamber issues,which resulted in a broken extractor.
All rounds were easy to chamber, but had some resistance opening the bolt. No pressure signs, but definitely signs of “rough” chamber. The second to last round stuck, but ejected easily when I ran the bolt a second time. The last round required a cleaning rod to bump it out. That’s when I
found a piece of shiny metal on the bolt face, that appears to part of the extractor(underside?)
The load is my bulk 308 load that I run in 4 autos and 5 different bolt guns.
175 gr SMK/45 gr BLC(2)/ small base die and crimped at 2.800( mixed brass)
I’ll be calling Sig Monday.
Sorry, but you got Sig’ed.

Following: curious to hear more. Should be able to provide some feedback from customers soon.

But...but... 277 Fury! 😬
It's not chamber pressure with factory ammo that can lead to broken bits here. I'm not saying this is the case here but recycling brass through many different chambers has its challenges.
With that being said you want an easily replaceable weak link. I'd rather replace an extractor than tear the lips out of the bolt. I've done both.

Last edited:
When I was at Cabela’s buying mine I was told the bolt was already recalled and they had to be sent back to Sig. I don’t know how true this is, but seeing this is concerning. Sorry about your troubles Wes I hope Sig takes care of you.

I read on ARFCOM that there was an issue with some of the bolts found during launch. A Sig employee seemed to confirm but said the issue had been corrected.

My Cross came with what looks like a consumer packaging for a replacement bolt in the box, maybe that's how they dealt with the bolt issue after the rifles shipped to stores. Did everyone else have a baggie like this in their box?

IMG_20200816_081915915~01.jpg

I took my rifle out last week just to make sure everything ran fine. I had five rounds each of Fed Premium 165gr Accubond and 168gr FGMM left over that were the first rounds through the rifle. Don't know if the Fed Premium was me getting used to the rifle (first group) or if that's just what the ammo will do, but the FGMM was looking pretty good until I pulled the last shot.

IMG_20200813_205604077~01.jpg

I also ran two velocity ladders with 168gr ABLRs to find pressure, which I did in the form of slightly heavy bolt lift and ejector marks, but no problems with the bolt or extractor. I like the feel and function of the rifle a lot and think it's going to be a shooter once I get some loads worked up.

IMG_20200813_082752701_HDR~01.jpg

Last edited:
Looking on Sigs website at some of the reviews it has gotten mostly positive. There are couple dip shits that don't know what the fuck a review is suppose to be about one guy gave it three stars because it doesn't come in the caliber he wanted......WTF the other guy gave it two stars because he thinks it is just like his Q-Fix that he already owns.......Come on guys WTF that is like when people give a product a negative review because of the shipping which has nothing to do with the actual product.

Reactions: Patriots1884
I read on ARFCOM that there was an issue with some of the bolts found during launch. A Sig employee seemed to confirm but said the issue had been corrected.

My Cross came with what looks like a consumer packaging for a replacement bolt in the box, maybe that's how they dealt with the bolt issue after the rifles shipped to stores. Did everyone else have a baggie like this in their box?

View attachment 7399904

I took my rifle out last week just to make sure everything ran fine. I had five rounds each of Fed Premium 165gr Accubond and 168gr FGMM left over that were the first rounds through the rifle. Don't know if the Fed Premium was me getting used to the rifle (first group) or if that's just what the ammo will do, but the FGMM was looking pretty good until I pulled the last shot.

View attachment 7399906

I also ran two velocity ladders with 168gr ABLRs to find pressure, which I did in the form of slightly heavy bolt lift and ejector marks, but no problems with the bolt or extractor. I like the feel and function of the rifle a lot and think it's going to be a shooter once I get some loads worked up.

View attachment 7399915
I had the same thing in my box.

Reactions: Gtscotty
Looking on Sigs website at some of the reviews it has gotten mostly positive. There are couple dip shits that don't know what the fuck a review is suppose to be about one guy gave it three stars because it doesn't come in the caliber he wanted......WTF the other guy gave it two stars because he thinks it is just like his Q-Fix that he already owns.......Come on guys WTF that is like when people give a product a negative review because of the shipping which has nothing to do with the actual product.

The review from the person with the Fix was probably the owner of Q.

Anyone measure from the top of the picatinny to the top of the handguard yet? I know I'm a dumb ass so I don't trust my own eyes sometimes. I got 5/16 of an inch.

Also, I was told at Bass Pro that they had sold a 6.5 version the day or two before I came in Saturday for the 308. No idea if it's true or not but that's what they said. They said a guy came in with his son and loaded one out for him to hunt with.

Reactions: Langford
I shot mine today and I am pretty impressed with it so far. I had zero issues feeding or extracting. It grouped decently with off the shelf 150gr Super-X. I’m excited to put some better loads through it and get into the woods.
CD1BB565-2D40-4570-99A0-DCF26739E52F.jpeg

I guess I'm not getting whats up with the special mag follower, will it feed correctly from regular AICS mags? Is the round presentation from normal mags different in this gun vs other systems?

SIG worked with Magpul to create a new follower for the AICS pattern magazines. it allows single feeding through the ejection port without the bullet nosediving, which is fairly common in AICS mags. The Cross will function with AICS magazines with the standard follower as well.

The big take away is, it improves certain functions, you don't lose any other functionality using the new magazine, and the Cross is backwards compatible with standard AICS magazines.

To answer the next inevitable questions, I'm not sure if the follower will function with other AICS pattern mags, I don't know if either SIG or Magpul will sell the follower separately.

Last edited:
Reactions: wes1
The follower won't be sold separately, the mag uses an unmodified Magpul AICS body so the follower only fits the mag it comes in. Sig is supposed to offer them for aftermarket sales.

Last edited:
SIG worked with Magpul to create a new follower for the AICS pattern magazines. it allows single feeding through the ejection port without the bullet nosediving, which is fairly common in AICS mags. The Cross will function with AICS magazines with the standard follower as well.

The big take away is, it improves certain functions, you don't lose any other functionality using the new magazine, and the Cross is backwards compatible with standard AICS magazines.

To answer the next inevitable questions, I'm not sure if the follower will function with other AICS pattern mags, I don't know if either SIG or Magpul will sell the follower separately.

Yep, OBE question, I've got one in hand now and have been shooting it some. It feeds very well from the modified mag, and picks up single loaded rounds perfectly. My Cross fails to pick up a round every other shot or so from the stock 10rd Magpul AICS mag I already had. That said, that mag is less than 100% (although still better than the Cross) in my RPR, RPRs are known to sometimes have problems with Magpul mags, so I assumed it was an issue with the combination, maybe the mag itself is defective though.

Either way, I like the follower in the Sig mag it works as advertised, I may try to draw up and print something similar for my other Magpul mag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_M
Do you guys think they are going to be selling diffrent bolt faces to be able to change to diffrent calibers like 223. 224. Or 6.5 Prc

I just picked one of these rifles up and was wondering what height rings you guys are running. I will be using seekins rings with a VX-5 3-15x44.

I just picked one of these rifles up and was wondering what height rings you guys are running. I will be using seekins rings with a VX-5 3-15x44.

I'm running these rings:

With this scope:

The scope is only 40mm, but the zoom ring on the ocular housing is pretty thick, maybe ~48mm if I remember correctly. Tried the lows first, they definitely didn't fit and mediums probably weren't going to either, the highs have 1.05" between top of rail and scope centreline, and work well (probably could go down to 0.95"~ish with no problems).

The rings themselves seem fine, I've never used them before, but pickings were slim locally and I want to get the rifle up and running.

Last edited: