• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Suspension... Hip That Is

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Alrighty,
Feb. 27 gets me a total hip replacement, and while many of my friends and family are excited with the prospect of seeing me function at a more normal mode, I've got to admit, I'm a little less enthusiastic.
I'm only 51, but have tortured my body for many years playing everything imaginable and competeing at least at a national level. Litereally 10's of thousands of kicks and numerous wrecks, haphazard attempts, you name it.
Paying for the stupidity of my youth. Now comes pay up time with the surgery/recovery and see what results will be.

Any advice, experience, or just plain prayers and a few wise cracks welcomend...

Well, you're in Missouri, or Misery already, be glad its not summer. I can relate my double knee replacement, it was some pain, worth every bit of the repair pain as my VA docs had me on enough morphine to kill 2 men, so they could not give me more pain killers for the surgery, if you are not on heavy pain meds, that will be less pain for you. I waited over 30years for my knees on the wounded warrior program got them done in style in two months, was walking on them 6 hrs after surgery. Now a couple years later its like never having knee pain. I am 56 now. Do it, you will be glad and follow the recovery exercises, push a little for the extra movement, You will do fine.

Smoke,
Thanks for the info. After an "orientation" class my wife and I went to the common answer the director said was given by patients after the replacements was, "Why idn't I do this sooner"? The degredation of the joint progressed so rapidly the last year that I have no option, unless the Lord intervenes.
Glad it's worked well for you and with all gratitude, Thank you for your service!

Sfree,
Coming from an outpatient physical therapist for the past 16 years, you will be glad you had the surgery. Of the total joint replacement surgeries, the total hip tends to be by far the least painful and the easiest to recover from. Most people regret waiting so long because they immediately feel better. Obey the precautions after surgery as instructed by the surgeon and you will be good to go!

Mike

Hey dudes and dudettes,
Home 2 days after surgery and aside from a little swelling and post op "pressure" all is fantastic! Little to no pain after surgery and the next morning was up walkin well over a 100 yrds a day along with therapy. Get this, first day no meds. The Lord is good! Gotta be careful and not be stupid (it's congenital), but recovery/rehab is way ahead of anything anyone would say it would be.
Gotta admit, it really messed with my head at first after doing the things I've done physically over my lifetime, which is why I've posted this here, because so many other men (not 70 yr old little old ladies) may have or are facing the same situation. The age at which this occurs is broadening becuase of sport or military injury to where men in their 30's are seeing this.
So, for those who are facing this it's not what it seems and today's technology, procedures are exponentially better than even 10 yrs ago and will obviously surpass my experiance.