• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors New TBAC dedicated AR suppressor/upper

Saw this last Fri , solid work like all of their stuff , the torture testing that was done was above and beyond any normal magazine fed full auto usage .

This looks awesome. Wonder if we can get Zak or Ray to chime on details......?

Ok, here are the details on the 556 TAKE DOWN, consider these pretty solid but subject to change,

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/556-take-down

The 556 TAKE DOWN is pretty much a replacement of the 223A that is quieter on an AR-15 and is user disassemble-able, and about half its price.

We should have the dedicated upper info online in a day or two

Awesome! You guys do great work. I have an Ultra 9 6.5 and love it.

Oh man... This looks really really nice. I want that upper.

How many damned cans and gas guns can one man own though. :-(

Hi,

The 556 Take Down was originally designed to meet the 2017 SURG solicitation (in conjunction with an upper obviously), which includes pretty stringent dB (ear and muzzle) and cost requirements, firing schedule / thermal requirements, as well as the ability to fully service and replace the core without removing the suppressor from the upper, and some other stuff that typically does not apply to the commercial market (like blank firing adapter compatibility and survivability when fired with live ammo by accident). The result of that design problem was this set of features.

Going all out for a 10" F/A capable suppressor with a QD, light weight, etc, like we did for precision rifle with the Ultras, would have been more expensive and also not met the other requirements (e.g. nominal cost core replacement without removing suppressor from "integrated" upper). It is very likely that we will address that application in the future.

Hi,

The 556 Take Down was originally designed to meet the 2017 SURG solicitation (in conjunction with an upper obviously), which includes pretty stringent dB (ear and muzzle) and cost requirements, firing schedule / thermal requirements, as well as the ability to fully service and replace the core without removing the suppressor from the upper, and some other stuff that typically does not apply to the commercial market (like blank firing adapter compatibility and survivability when fired with live ammo by accident). The result of that design problem was this set of features.

Going all out for a 10" F/A capable suppressor with a QD, light weight, etc, like we did for precision rifle with the Ultras, would have been more expensive and also not met the other requirements (e.g. nominal cost core replacement without removing suppressor from "integrated" upper). It is very likely that we will address that application in the future.

any chance there will be a 300AAC version?

With a tuned upper such as ours, there is very little gas. Ray posted that he shot 44 mags the other day and didn't have a carbon streak on his face. We had a left-hander shooter (MGTS) shoot it quite a bit and he commented on how there wasn't very much gas.

300 BLK? Maybe we'll do a version in the future if there is demand. Honestly though, the .30 cal Ultra 7 is just fine for almost any firing schedule on .300 BLK and weighs less than half what this does

Yes. For comparison, I think it takes about 2 mags (or just under 2) of 5.56 fired very fast to get an Ultra 7 to 800 degrees.

I don't know that we've done really careful experiments on various barrel lengths and super and sub .300 BLK rounds, with regard to thermal input. The takeaway is that .300BLK supers have less thermal input than 5.56, round for round. The thermal input of subs is extremely low. From shooting my own 10" .300 Whisper with full power ammo, I'd just estimate that it had roughly half the thermal input of the same round count in 5.56. If you want to check out your situation, get a 700 degree (F) welding crayon and see how many rounds it takes to melt it. (I used 700* for the example so you don't have to exceed 800 to find a safe point)

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. It all makes sense now, I usually shoot subs and it seemed like it never got really hot compared to shooting 6.5 and 308 on my rifle. Thanks again for the tips!

Zak will there be any chance of getting the can with the barrel, I have already spent the money on everything but the can and barrel. As usual if I had waited another couple of months but I didn’t