• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Tikka T3x CTR scratched barrel

Corfius

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2021
Canada
Hi,

New guy here so I'm asking for advice. This is my first precision rifle and I took it out of the box today.

Before my first cleaning I noticed a scratch near the crown. It's about half an inch long.

Any idea what should I do or try ?

I tried to remove it with bore solvent, a qtip and a nylon brush as I thought about cooper fouling from the factory. It did nothing.

Should I just return it ? Try to shoot it anyway ? Keep in mind I want to use it as my entry ticket for LR shooting.

I own a couple of hunting rifles and I've never seen something like that.

20210622_205803.jpg

Figured I would just ask experienced shooters before. Pictures aren't perfect but it's the best I could do.

Thanks
20210622_205847(0).jpg

How long have you had it? If it's recently purchased, bring it back to the dealer and show it to them. That doesn't look very good, if it is indeed a marked up land. Looks like a pilot could have done that when they cut the crown.

Rifle barrels, particularly factory barrels are going to have imperfections in them. I'd go shoot it and if it shoots well that's all that matters.

I decided to shoot it. Ended up with .8 to 1.8 inch 5 shots groups at 100y which seems good enough. I had factory hunting ammo and Hornady match ammo (match ammo being constantly around 1 inch or below).

I'm not a terrible shooter but I'm not a pro either.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
The hornady match should shoot sub-moa pretty easily

If you're a new shooter and getting that performance i wouldn't worry too much unless you see legit odd uncalled flyers considerably away from the group