• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing new to fishing

precision308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2013
Indiana
just going to get into fishing. I'm from indiana I will be fishing small lakes and ponds from the bank. Mostly blue gill bass and catfish. I do have a local gander mountain and will probably purchase from them. Any suggestions on rod and reel. Any good starter books.

Shimano reels are hard to beat. If your fishing from bank or around lots of structure I would suggest a pistol grip or short handle rod in a medium heavy. Also a rod 6 foot or shorter is what I prefer. Buy the baits that most resemble the baitfish wherever your fishing. Consider using light line in open clear water and heavier line when fishing around grass, treetops, etc. fishing is really like anything else, you will only get good at it with thousands of hours of doing it. But you don't have to be great to have lots of fun and relaxation. Enjoy and learn how to clean um right for they are great to eat, fried, baked, blackened, and grilled. Enjoy!

Just looking at around 100 for rod and reel. Nothing fancy. If I enjoy it and he into more ill invest more next year

So many options but here is what I would look to get.
Panfish- 6ft light action rod spooled with 6lb mono.
Catfish/bass- 7ft med/hvy spooled with 10-12lb mono.
If you have obstructed shore lines then go with shorter rods.
I would look at picking up ugly stik rod and reel combos. They are not very expensive and are tough, I have a couple from when I was younger I still use and have had them for several years.
Got any questions pm me. I do not know much about long range shooting, fishing is another story.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Plueger rods and reels are fairly inexpensive and good quality for the money. Not sure what shimano has in their cheaper models. Ambassador also makes good reels. I still have a couple that still run from 35 years ago. Look at some of the bass pro shop combos and they may suit you well. I've mainly always been a bass fisherman but occasionally I crappie fish with my dad as that's what he does mostly in his old age. I was fortunate growing up when it came to fishing and hunting since these were my dads hobbies. I remember learning how to throw bait cast reels when I was 7. He would put a coffee cup in the yard and a crank bait with the hooks off and he would make me try to throw the bait in a coffee cup. I must say this helped me a lot because by the time I was 10 I could put a lure exactly where I wanted it. This makes good practice and I would suggest trying this. Also you may want to get a spinning reel for panfish or even a fly rod. They both are lots of fun for panfish.

Fly Rods are a lot of fun, but I wouldn't suggest it if you want to go have fun from the start of your trip. I would suggest a light weight spinning reel combo and a medium weight rob. What kind of bank fishing, small farm ponds or stripper pits? Depths with be determined there. I am a big fan of Abu Gracia Reels as I have an Bait Caster and light weight spinning reel by Abu. Mitchell is a great middle of the road brand, ugly sticks make good middle of the road rods to. As far as books go I cannot suggest some but I can show you everything you want to know as I sent an hour or two fishing with my grandpa and uncle as kid growing. I too was tossing a bait caster before the age of 10. How are your beer drinking skills that is am important aspect of fishing well that an patience. There are days you will come home tired and other days you can't leave soon enough( those are the days you can't catch a fish).