• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long distance shooting looking for build help.

remm700adl

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
Hey guys im new to LD shooting I have a rem 700 adl 30-06 i would like to build for ld sniper out of any help with a build right now its just stock with a Bushnell trophy xlt 600doa scoop.

Ask yourself a few questions:
1. Budget
2. Handload or factory ammo
3. Willingness to wait
The 30-06 can be a good long range caliber imho, I have one so I might be biased. The ADL (again imho) is not an ideal starting point as it is specifically a hunting configuration. The barrel is a light weight sporter designed for minute of deer. If you are willing to sink the $$ and wait time into building it, then you will need to scour the archives for Lake City Match ammo if you do not hand load. If you are looking to get shooting long distance sooner and cheaper, consider tabling the ADL 30-06 and looking for a .308 that is better designed for long range precision. If you do not hand load, the .308 will have a greater variety of match ammo available. Just my 0.02 YMMV.

Rebarrel it with a premium barrel in a heavier contour
trigger job
chassis
bases/rings
used nightforce

or sell/trade it for a 260 or 308 tactical setup

i dont mind wating. I was looking into getting the beaded and floating barrel with a heavy bull barrel. Not sure on contour yet. And no clue which basses and rings to go towards. Also was looking at blueprinting the action and truing the barrel as well

I am in the final stages of a build that was darn near identical to what you have when i started. I started with a standard 700BDL 30-06 that was "minute of deer." The modifications if you want to call them that are as follows:
I put a HART 28" heavy bull barrel with diamond fluting chambered for 300WM and put a new bolt with tactical style bolt knob i forget the maker with sako style extractor so i wouldnt have to have the old factory bolt milled out and hope it fit the way it was supposed to.
Swapped the old trigger with a Jewel that is set to 10 oz
AICS AX chassis. A cheaper chassis will work like a whiskey III or a JP enterprises but if i was spending the money i wasnt gonna settle for a few hundred dollar difference.
Used a badger ordnance one piece base and Vortex matched rings holding a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD.
Gonna be sending it to black ice for a black teflon finish to protect it and make it match.
Its an extensive rebuild that i started 3 years ago and should be done by the middle of summer. In total i have spent roughly 3600-3900 including gunsmith fees so not all that bad for a custom built LR gun considering most guns with similar specs can cost nearly 2x as much

i dont mind wating. I was looking into getting the beaded and floating barrel with a heavy bull barrel. Not sure on contour yet. And no clue which basses and rings to go towards. Also was looking at blueprinting the action and truing the barrel as well

the best thing that you can do to improve the accuracy of the ADL is to trash the factory stock for something like a HS precision or McMillan and get decent bottom metal which will keep ya at a reasonable price roughly 500-600 if ya cant afford to re-barrel at this time.

I am in the final stages of a build that was darn near identical to what you have when i started. I started with a standard 700BDL 30-06 that was "minute of deer." The modifications if you want to call them that are as follows:
I put a HART 28" heavy bull barrel with diamond fluting chambered for 300WM and put a new bolt with tactical style bolt knob i forget the maker with sako style extractor so i wouldnt have to have the old factory bolt milled out and hope it fit the way it was supposed to.
Swapped the old trigger with a Jewel that is set to 10 oz
AICS AX chassis. A cheaper chassis will work like a whiskey III or a JP enterprises but if i was spending the money i wasnt gonna settle for a few hundred dollar difference.
Used a badger ordnance one piece base and Vortex matched rings holding a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MRAD.
Gonna be sending it to black ice for a black teflon finish to protect it and make it match.
Its an extensive rebuild that i started 3 years ago and should be done by the middle of summer. In total i have spent roughly 3600-3900 including gunsmith fees so not all that bad for a custom built LR gun considering most guns with similar specs can cost nearly 2x as much

wow not sure i wana spend that much maybe in the 1-1.5k range

Well, no one said this hobby was going to be cheap.

The scope he has runs about $950.00 and the AICS AX chasis is probably another $1400.00. So that's about $2350.00 right there. You don't have to spend that kind of money on a stock or optics. But with the optics the lower the price usually the worse quality you are going to get.

yea i understand this. I like the mcmillian a3 stock but dont have it for long action rifles