• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to the AR format rifle

Sandman 007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
Alabama
Just got a Stag Arms Model 7 hunter 6.8 spc and was going to put my old Swarovski 2.5x10X56 scope on there but my buddy is telling me that is too much scope for that gun. I didnt know you could have too much scope for a gun... My question is what should i put on there then? Thanks for your input

Re: New to the AR format rifle

Nah, throw it on there. If YOU decide the 56mm objective puts the scope too high or the weight of the scope makes it too top heavy then look into other options. No reason to spend money just because someone thinks it's too much scope. For target shooting or varminting a 2.5-10x may be perfect.

I wouldn't say that "its too much scope for the gun," but instead would ask you "What are your plans with the rifle?"

Let your plans for the rifle dictate what optics are best suited for it. Frankly, despite the LARGE 56mm optics, I think that a 2.5-10x scope is nearly ideal for many ARs because it gives you a relatively low magnification on the low end of the zoom range for close-in work/brush (if you are hunting with it)/etc. and then it gives you a 10x top end which is more than enough for stretching the legs on your 6.8 out to max effective range. Again...the downside to the 56mm is that you may have to mount the scope a little higher than you would with a 40mm or even a 50mm optic, but as long as you can still get a proper cheek weld, eye relief, etc., WHY NOT?!?!
wink.gif

Too much scope for a gun would be like mounting a 12-42x56 NightForce on a .22LR being used for shooting squirrels. Your scope will do just fine and you may feel it's not enough for what you're using the rifle for. Many shooters feel the 3.5-15x is the sweet spot for magnification but I prefer the 5-25x range.

I have a 1.5-6x42 on my 6.8. I think it is ideal for my uses. But my second choice would be a scope in the 3-9xish or 2.5-10x range. 56mm is a big objective but with a proper AR mount that should not be much of an issue other than the weight.

I have a 1-4 on my 6.8 SPC. The round can shoot out to about 600 yards after that it gets kinda crazy with accuracy.

Aron-

I agree killshot.....

On my 6.8, I have a 2-7 and it's perfect combo of size and mag for that rifle.

Unless you are going to be running and gunning, that's an excellent scope -- especially for the 6.8, mount the sucker.

If you think it is too much scope, donate it and I will take it off your hands.