• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New UGSW M70 build!

stephen_allen

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Well I finally had the time and money to send my grandfathers old Winchester Model 70 Featherweight off to get some work done. It's a pre-'64 action ('57 manuf date) originally chambered in .243. This rifle has shot a lot of deer and is still on the original barrel. The barrel is shot out and it's a complete dirty, greasy mess but I'm confident that Mike will perform his magic. Here are the specs:

Winchester Model 70 Short Action
Action and bolt completely reworked
Bartlein "Recon" Contour - 1:10tw finished at 20" chambered in .308
Manners T3A or McMillan HTG Adj (I would rather the T3A!)
Williams Bottom Metal
Near 20 MOA Rail, pinned to the action and holes opened to 8-40
Factory winchester trigger - tuned/reworked, recontoured shoe
Rail for Atlas bipod
Badger knob

All metal will be cerakoted and the stock will be a custom desert camo and topped with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Badger rings. I'm excited and hoping to get her done by deer season. My experience with UGSW thus far has been great. Mike has been very understanding and has accommodated my "particularness" and answers emails within minutes.

Here's a pre-surgery picture...it's all I have before I sent it off. Now I've got to figure out what to do while I wait.

IMAG0021.jpg

Re: New UGSW M70 build!

You are in good hands with Mike. He has built me a rifle that I couldn't be happier with, and I've got a few more in the works with him now. Make sure you put up some pics when you get it back.

Mike is top notch. I am expecting my build soon(hopefully this week,according to Mike 2wks ago).

Dude, why did you play with our emotions like that? By reading the title, I was under the impression it was a complete build already.
grin.gif

What you are doing is awesome. Hope everything turns out well for you. Good luck!

Good idea Northland, I'll probably load up some hunting rounds while I wait. Don't need the finished rifle in my hands to do those.

I will definitely post pictures when it's done, sorry for the teaser!

I'm patiently waiting for my r700.

I have heard nothing but good things about his company, so I think we are both in good hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, why did you play with our emotions like that? By reading the title, I was under the impression it was a complete build already.
grin.gif

What you are doing is awesome. Hope everything turns out well for you. Good luck! </div></div>

You me both. I quickly searched for the "after action" pics before I read the posting.

OP: you are in great hands. I look forward to seeing the after pics, so don't hold back.

nice to see you fixing up that ol boy, i'm doin the same with a gun my grandfather gave me very cool

Mike is awesome and will take care of you 100% I can't say enough good about my experience with Mike and my latest build.

The wait will be well worth it.

Thanks for the comments, I'll definitely post up some pictures when it's done.

I'm hoping the 'ol boy will be a shooter. They just don't make them like they used to. Part of me wanted to restore it to original condition since it's a pre-'64 action (and my grandfathers rifle) but I've got others he has given me that are in pristine condition. This rifle was the red headed step-child that never gets shot (anymore) so I figured what the hell...will be nice to have my first precision rifle built on Papaws gun. He's got a few years left and he would love to hear that it is taking deer and being used again.