• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Vortex Pro Rings vs Seekins

ChrisAU

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
SE Alabama
Anybody have experience with these? Looking at the 0.9" ones to really snug down my scope to my rifle vs the 0.92" Seekins rings, and saving ~$55 doesn't sound bad either (really the main point). All the reviews I've found seem to be positive. Not sure how I feel about the torque specs being engraved on the rings but I'd bet I can live with it.

s-l1600.jpg

Nope, but I can tell the difference in $119 and $64. Leaning towards just getting the Seekins but saw these Vortex ones and haven't found much on reviews outside of Amazon/Vortex.

Reactions: oystershooter
Look at A&A optics for refurbished Vortex Precision Matched Rings for $90 shipped. They ARE Seekins. Mine shipped out today so I don't know the condition, but they are just rings..... I'm sure they either had damaged packaging or were used on demo guns at trade shows or something.

Look at A&A optics for refurbished Vortex Precision Matched Rings for $90 shipped. They ARE Seekins. Mine shipped out today so I don't know the condition, but they are just rings..... I'm sure they either had damaged packaging or were used on demo guns at trade shows or something.

Thanks for that tip, will look at those. Thinking .87" mediums (seekins) will work just fine. 3-18x56 Meopta Opitka6 on Talley one piece rail on Cooper 92 (light barrel contour).

I’ve got a set of those vortex on a gen 2 viper on my .22 they seem fine I’ve had no issues with them

Reactions: Sandtoes
I personally like the seekin rings, I’ve got them on two rigs and they are bomb proof a little bulky but solid.

Well if the Vortex lows (0.9”) were in stock anywhere I’d give them a shot, alas I just hit buy it now on Amazon for Seekins Mediums (0.87”) with free returns if it looks like the math doesn’t work. Calculator says I’ll have 2.36 mm of clearance after adding an objective cover, nice to have the Amazon piece of mind if something is off when I mock it up. By far the most I’ve ever spent on rings, guess a Cooper rifle deserves as much though. Hope the Optika6 is all it’s billed up to be after an incredibly successful 2019-2020 hunting season using a 3-9x42 SWFA in Talley’s. Had never dialed for a hunting shot in my life and dialed for a 6x7 bull elk at 423 and two whitetail at 265 and 228 (100 yard zero). Will put the Meopta through the ringer at the range with this new setup, as whitetail season waned on I wanted more magnification and better low light performance at magnification. The SWFA has good glass but it’s inability to resolve a buck during legal hours at 260ish yards a couple weeks ago cost me a nice buck. Could see him in Loopy BX-4 10x50 binos easily but could not see him well enough through the scope to take an ethical shot.

Not the least expensive rings or the most expensive, but worth the price of admission to know your glass isn’t going anywhere and you’re supporting an awesome company.

Reactions: jnslprd
I have used the Seekins/Vortex PMRs on several rifles. I recently got the new Pro Rings to try and ended up returning them.

The quality difference was pretty obvious in the precision of the interior ring dimensions. Another $50 for the PMRs was 3% of the rifle/scope budget. Well worth it to me for the piece of mind.

Another option I that I have on order is the MDT Premier Rings. (They look almost identical to the Seekins/PMRs.)

I'm trying them because the Seekins/PMRs only come in low height for 1" tubes, but MDTs have 4 height options available. I have a Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8 that won't work with low rings, so I am going to try the Mediums from MDT.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
You can tell a 22 from a 6mm right?
.224/.243=an 8% difference
.90/.92= a 2% difference

Thats 4x the magnitude of difference but still not a fair comparison. I was trying to nudge him towards thinking that if .020" is what sways his choice then he might want to consider other factors more heavily. Which he has since its really the money saved that he is after.

Anybody have experience with these? Looking at the 0.9" ones to really snug down my scope to my rifle vs the 0.92" Seekins rings, and saving ~$55 doesn't sound bad either (really the main point). All the reviews I've found seem to be positive. Not sure how I feel about the torque specs being engraved on the rings but I'd bet I can live with it.

s-l1600.jpg

Been using Seekins since 2004 and never an issue. Bulky? LOL That's some funny shit. They aren't at all. They are well built and plenty streamlined. They are not overweight and do what they need to do. Used them on many rifles and scopes.

The new Pro Series rings are pretty nice. I have a set with a Gen II PST in them. They fit well and seem to hold the scope well. I wouldn't use them on a match rifle, as they haven't been proven to me yet, but for a recreational rifle they are well worth the cost. The torque values on them will help a lot of people who usually come here asking or call Vortex. Here's a pic of the 1" height holding the 5-25x50 PST Gen II.
IMG_3215.JPG

I been using Seekins Precision rings since they first came out and I will keep on using them.

I have a set of both. I wouldn’t hesitate to use the vortex pro rings in the future instead of seekins. But I won’t be giving up my seekins in favor of the vortex pro rings. I do think that the seekins are higher quality but both will hold your scope in place.

I suppose they could be decent rings. However, for my piece of mind, I'll stick to the seekins. My rifle holding alpha glass has seekins and my rifle holding an LRTS has seekins as well. I gave an LRHS to my dad for his hunting rifle along with ken Farrel rings which I believe were close to $175 ish...

My point, if you're going to be concerned or not feel at all very comfortable, get you some quality rings from the start. If you don't intend on taking down game, or shooting competitively with the rifle, perhaps the pro series might be alright.

I have used them. All of my personal rings are either Seekins, Vortex PMR, or ARC M10.
To me, the "Pro" is anything but pro quality. I would not put them on any of my personal rifles. Way too much flex in them for my liking.
Spend the extra cash and get the PMR/Seekins rings.

Reactions: wb00757
Just purchased my first set of these directly from Vortex and they are fine. Maybe not as much mass as the Vortex/Seekins PMR rings but in most cases that extra mass is not necessary.

They're rings. Quit overthinking and get whatever you can in the height you need at the price you can afford.

That "good glass" in the swfa isn't actually very good if you could see it with the bx-4's but not through your scope.

They look identical but might certain difference on the field. Would love to read more about them.

Can you recommend a ring that doesn’t have a big bolt sticking out? Used Talley Lightweightson my rifles the last few years.

Actually, these are identical to the leapers rings...

Reactions: Gohring65
Actually, these are identical to the leapers rings...

No they aren't.
Just look at the lug on the bottom, the Leapers have a pin, the XLR have a lug.
The XLR also have a solid body, not cut out like the Leapers.
If you want the Leapers, go ahead and rock on, the XLR rings are well made and very reasonably priced.

No they aren't.
If you want the Leapers, go ahead and rock on, the XLR rings are well made and very reasonably priced.

I had not paid attention to the lug part. You are correct in that. However, I still believe the XLR have a design that "looks" more like that of the leapers. I'm sure the XLR rings are way better quality though. No doubt there.

Not sure why I would want either of those though, I'll gladly stick to my Ken Farrel or Seekins rings. Or in the case I want to try something new, I've been eyeballing APA rings.

No they aren't.
The both sets of UTG poi rings I sold on here had the exact same setup as the XLR rings. Lug, springs and everything. Maybe the guy I sold them to will see this and verify. These ain’t your usual UTG rings. These are American made, probably the same place as xlr.
E1412D52-D178-4EB2-9328-DC22E6460C21.png

I’d have to look but I’m out of town working right now I’ll try to update when I get back but it won’t be for another 2 weeks

Reactions: BulletScientist
I just got my Refurbished Precision Matched Rings from AAoptics. $90 shipped and they look brand new. They seriously could have sold these for full price (not that that would be right, but nobody would have ever known). There were a few very tiny marks that I would not have noticed and they pretty much disappeared when I rubbed it. I'm going to machine a lapping bar just to check these when I get a chance (I think my cheap Weaver brand base is a Little wonky...) All in all these seem awesome for the price.
IMG_20200213_121549.jpg
IMG_20200213_121405.jpg

The Vortex Pros are good to go. Put the cost savings towards something else.
I got a set of PMR rings with a PST I bought, but realized the are extra highs that worked well on his AR-10. Now trying to pawn those off and buy a set of the low Pro Series Rings if I can find them in stock anywhere.