• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New vortex razor lh 30mm tube?

My scope for my 300 win is most likely decided.
I will be interested in the pros and cons vs the pst gen 2

It will be lighter than PST Gen2 and with better optics. FOV will probably be a bit narrower, but overall difference in optical quality should be in the new HD LH's favor. I spent a lot of time looking at the PST Gen 2 3-15x44 and Razor HD LH 3-15x42 side by side and HD LH is a better scope optically.

ILya

The seller on eBay confirmed that they have optics in hand and ready to ship. According to them the original release date was to be 3-3-2020.

I bit. I’ll be the guinea pig. Really don’t care if ffp or sfp for my intended uses for them.

I’m actually pleased with my pst genii and it has been reliable with minimal dialing.

Looks like MOA will be available too. So we have FFP or SFP, MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA, locking exposed elevation, illumination, an excellent hunting reticle in the G4/G4i, capped windage, adjustable parallax, light weight....please track and be durable. Please.

Reactions: Mr. Z
I have an Element Magnesium chassis that was slated for a 6br but maybe I’ll drop my Proof/TL3 6.5 prc in and see how it holds up.

Looks like MOA will be available too. So we have FFP or SFP, MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA, locking exposed elevation, illumination, an excellent hunting reticle in the G4/G4i, capped windage, adjustable parallax, light weight....please track and be durable. Please.

Not all of them will be available in FFP.

It will be lighter than PST Gen2 and with better optics. FOV will probably be a bit narrower, but overall difference in optical quality should be in the new HD LH's favor. I spent a lot of time looking at the PST Gen 2 3-15x44 and Razor HD LH 3-15x42 side by side and HD LH is a better scope optically.

ILya

then why would I get the gen 2?

then why would I get the gen 2?

Hard to say until the final details and pricing is released on the new Razor LHs, but I'd guess the PST will be cheaper and offer reticles more suited to target shooters vs the Razor LH being aimed at hunters.

I have a couple of Leupold VX5/VX6s and am very interested in these new Razors, if they offer a reticle I like in the Mil/Mil versions
I might be waving good bye to my Leupolds.

I’m hoping for a simple moa/moa reticle in one of these. Zero stop with a locking elevation turret would be sweet but just a zero stop and moa/moa and I’ll buy one.

Looks exciting potentially, could be finally the scope we've all been waiting for

Like everyone else, I’m looking forward to seeing the features. That said, it’s going to take a lot of improvement over my stable of LRHS and LRTS to make me trade up.

In fact, I’m kinda hoping we see a wave of those used Bushnells in the exchange. I’ll be ready.

If they don’t have a misprint on that field of view I’ll eat my words but thats flat out terrible compared to their competition. 24.6ft vs 38.3 on the Vx5hd. Hell a 6-24 AMG is 20.4 on the low end.

Edit. I’m in, I hope it’s a misprint but if it’s not it’s still worth the risk as it checks the other boxes. Considering it’s a brand new razor I don’t predict much trouble selling it if it doesn’t work for me.

Misprint it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: wade2big
I think this scope is hot. I like the cleaner, simpler reticle (I like the 42mm version the best) for general field use esp in a SFP optic. It ticks a lot of boxes, made in Japan, backed by Vortex, available in mils, I think there is a market for this. The FOV measurements are a bit puzzling not sure what the deal is but maybe related to it's 3.8" eye relief vs 3.4" for the Gen II PST? All else being equal, better eye relief comes at a cost of FOV. Although the VX-5HD matches the Razor in eye relief. So never mind.

If they don’t have a misprint on that field of view I’ll eat my words but thats flat out terrible compared to their competition. 24.6ft vs 38.3 on the Vx5hd. Hell a 6-24 AMG is 20.4 on the low end.
Field of view for me is way down the list for what I look for in a hunting scope. I guess if I hunted with big heavy barreled rifle with a chassis or tactical stock then i may would need that field of view as the rifle doesnt shoulder worth a shit. Keep the rifle slim and trim and easy to shoulder and that field of view is less of an issue.

the specs on that arent impressive but everything else seems to be.

Field of view for me is way down the list for what I look for in a hunting scope. I guess if I hunted with big heavy barreled rifle with a chassis or tactical stock then i may would need that field of view as the rifle doesnt shoulder worth a shit. Keep the rifle slim and trim and easy to shoulder and that field of view is less of an issue.

the specs on that arent impressive but everything else seems to be.

For me I have to manage timber with open fields shot ranges from 15 feet to 650 yards, so It’s quite the opposite. If I can’t see more than 25 feet in the scope why not have a 5-20 or 6-24?

Edit. 35 ft is much more inline

Last edited:
If those numbers are correct on FOV, vortex has made what should have been a winner, just another option. In the same pricerange, I could get the vx5hd, or the zeiss v4, both within a few ounces, travel is about the same, and of course- better FOV which should be pretty important to the crowd they are targeting.

For me I have to manage timber with open fields shot ranges from 15 feet to 650 yards, so It’s quite the opposite. If I can’t see more than 25 feet in the scope why not have a 5-20 or 6-24?

And therein lies the issue. Wade2big tends to speak in absolutes, but from only his perspective. That's not necessarily bad, so long as people understand this (and that he does as well), but it does tend to cause some raised eyebrows when he posts things that others clearly consider bullshit. Ironically, it isn't bullshit, just an opinion cast from a fairly narrow perspective (which is how I read his posts these days; well intentioned, but usually slightly ignorant of a wider community's variables (and that's not meant as a personal dig against him, just more of an FYI for those reading his posts and thinking "WTF?")).

I think this scope is hot. I like the cleaner, simpler reticle (I like the 42mm version the best) for general field use esp in a SFP optic. It ticks a lot of boxes, made in Japan, backed by Vortex, available in mils, I think there is a market for this. The FOV measurements are a bit puzzling not sure what the deal is but maybe related to it's 3.8" eye relief vs 3.4" for the Gen II PST? All else being equal, better eye relief comes at a cost of FOV. Although the VX-5HD matches the Razor in eye relief. So never mind.

I assume you have some headed to your shop? I think I want one.

Updated after FOV typo fix:
Have 4 rifles this may go on. 2 with VX5s and 2 with Viper HSs.

FOV of the VX5 is still better after fixing the typo but not by much. Will wait for reviews to see how it compares. I hate the rough chalky finish on the VX5 but won't spend that much to change it out. I expect the glass to be 100x better than the Viper HS but I'll also wait on reviews to see. If these were FFP I would have already bought one to try. FFP isn't needed on these specific rifles but I like consistency and have FFP on everything else.

Last edited:
Dang it. Still no illumination for twilight hunting.
Am I retarded? A 2032 battery is included but have not read anywhere about illumination.

edit: Nevermind. I finally found the "illumination" controls on page 16 of the 3-15x50 owner's manual.

Last edited:
The new Razor has illumination. Looks like nice center dot only. Mmmmm me likey. Just want to know where the bullet is going.

Yes, we will feature these...."we" won't have them for a few weeks but we are all in on these

I am quite happy to see the G4 reticle survive. It looks like it is only available in the 3-15x50, so I will look into that one.

As far as the FOV goes, what is listed comes off as a typo. I expected it to be same as for the original HD LH. Generally, it will eb narrower than PST Gen2. That is the tradeoff in order to have light weight, trim eyepiece and good eye relief.

ILya

Noice.

Here’s YouTube video, very 2020 vortexy feeling. On the plus side locking turret is the excitement. I spin elevation turrets all the time climbing trees. In for an HSR-5i Mrad.

I may have missed it but has anyone heard if there would eventually be any lower power models in this line? Like a 2-10 or 1.5-8 like before.

Definitely a misprint. It will be updated shortly. Thank you for picking up on that!!!

The actual numbers are

35.3' @ 100yds at 3x
7' @ 100yds at 15x
6.74 degrees 3x
1.34 degrees 15x

thanks for the update...out of curiosity why the difference in reticle between the offerings?

And therein lies the issue. Wade2big tends to speak in absolutes, but from only his perspective. That's not necessarily bad, so long as people understand this (and that he does as well), but it does tend to cause some raised eyebrows when he posts things that others clearly consider bullshit. Ironically, it isn't bullshit, just an opinion cast from a fairly narrow perspective (which is how I read his posts these days; well intentioned, but usually slightly ignorant of a wider community's variables (and that's not meant as a personal dig against him, just more of an FYI for those reading his posts and thinking "WTF?")).
I can only give you my opinion and my perspective on things just as you can give only your opinion and perspective. This is all anyone can do. Every person's opinion is cast from a narrow perspective as they can only be based off their own life experiences. in other words, I would never ask or expect you to give me Joe's opinion. I figured this was common knowledge and is accepted as such. Apparently not.

I am not scared to voice what I think. This confidence is what you take as speaking in absolutes. I believe what I say, but I am actually open to other's views although I may or may not always agree. My mind can be changed. You will hardly find me say that someone is wrong because there opinions differs from mine unless what is being discussed isn't opinion at all but facts. I did call a guy out in the truck thread that said he is getting 20mpg in his pickup while towing 25,000lb in the mountains. That's stupid and he is full of shit. ;)

DISCLAIMER:
The words written above in no way reflect the thoughts and opinions of any other person other than the original author of the post

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Geno C.
I could give a crap about illumination as long as its SFP which I also prefer on a hunting scope. I hope these new Razors are SFP.

I am with you as far as illumination goes on FFP scopes. It is a must on any scope that has a use beyond target shooting.
There aren’t enough SFP hunting scope options?
Is this their answer to the request for a 3-18x50amg?
With support, this might be the precursor to the 3-15x42 AMG ?

I can only give you my opinion and my perspective on things just as you can give only your opinion and perspective. This is all anyone can do. Every person's opinion is cast from a narrow perspective as they can only be based off their own life experiences. in other words, I would never ask you to give me Joe's opinion. I figured this was common knowledge and is accepted as such. Apparently not. I am not scared to voice what I think. This confidence is what you take as speaking in absolutes. I believe what I say, but I am actually open to other's views although I may or may not always agree. My mind can be changed.

I am well aware that my thoughts and opinions are my own and may or may not be relevant to you. You will hardly find me say that someone is wrong because there opinions differs from mine unless what is being discussed isn't opinion at all but facts. I did call a guy out in the truck thread that said he is getting 20mpg in his pickup while towing 25,000lb in the mountains. That's stupid and he is full of shit. ;)

DISCLAIMER:
The words written above in no way reflect the thoughts and opinions of any other person other than the original author of the post

And that, is where I believe you are mistaken (and ironically, why you can't understand my point)...

And that, is where I believe you are mistaken (and ironically, why you can't understand my point)...
I don't follow your logic. I would rather listen to people who voice their own opinion and not repeat the thoughts of someone else. I find the former to be informative and helpful whether I agree or disagree while the latter is waste of time and can also be counterproductive to any discussion. I will voice my thought but stay open minded. I am not sure you are.

Lets move on and keep this thread on topic.

I did call a guy out in the truck thread that said he is getting 20mpg in his pickup while towing 25,000lb in the mountains. That's stupid and he is full of shit. ;)
That’s not what you said.

Anybody telling you they get anywhere near 20mpg with a diesel truck is full of shit. With the DEF fluid trucks you might hit 16mpg average. With the older particulate filter trucks maybe 15mpg. I have had diesel trucks for many years. The avg mpg will be somewhere near 15mpg. My 2003 ram 14mpg. Chevrolet 2010 13.5mpg. The fords around that time are just as bad Tow something heavy and you are looking at about 6mpg.

fuel economy or power. Pick one.
That’s what you said.