• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW XRS Chassis from MDT - Crossover Rifle Stock

Will the Tikka t3x inlet also be compatible for a T1X? Blueprint would be the same, but any issues with magazine latches and whatnot?

Will the Tikka t3x inlet also be compatible for a T1X? Blueprint would be the same, but any issues with magazine latches and whatnot?

The metal inlet will be the same, but you will have to remove the magazine latch and dremel/file/mill away part of the trigger guard for it to clear the T1x magazine.

Josh

How does this compare to the ORYX? @MDT_Josh
I’ve been looking for the least expensive AICS mag style chassis for my Howa 1500.
This will be a training rifle, but as with all my rifles, it will eventually be upgraded to a more serious style rifle.
Thanks Josh

How does this compare to the ORYX? @MDT_Josh
I’ve been looking for the least expensive AICS mag style chassis for my Howa 1500.
This will be a training rifle, but as with all my rifles, it will eventually be upgraded to a more serious style rifle.
Thanks Josh

Good question! To be honest, they are similar in terms of function, but have very different ergonomics and shot characteristics under recoil.

The Oryx chassis has a long, one piece, aluminum back bar that contains your inletting, part of your magwell and buttstock adjustment features, then we add on the trigger guard and bottom portion of the magwell, followed by the polymer skins. It is a very rigid chassis that has a lot of the common features you'll find on most of the MDT chassis such as M-lok, ambidextrous thumb shelves and an adjustable cheekriser, but to keep the price down, we have had to leave out things like interchangeable forends, infinite LOP adjustment, ambi mag latches and the ability to change out the buttstock/have a folding buttstock. All-in-all the Oryx is an excellent value for money chassis and will handle and feel like one.

The MDT XRS Chassis on the other hand feels a lot more like a stock, but has a lot of the added benefits of a chassis, for a fraction of the cost of other options. The XRS has a three piece, aluminum skeleton; forend, action inletting block and grip section that are all assembled and lend themselves to future modularity. The aluminum skeleton is then wrapped in multiple, separate, polymer sections for the forend sides, centre body, trigger guard and buttstock panels. With the XRS, you also get a lot of the same features as the Oryx chassis, but you get the ergonomics of your favourite stock! The M-lok forend, ambidextrous mag latch and cheekriser adjustment are all present, but again we have had to leave out a few features like infinite LOP adjustment and AR-15 grip compatibility for cost and ergonomic reasons.

Under live fire, I find that the Oryx's one piece back bar will transfer the recoil a larger caliber rifle more linearly into your shoulder than the XRS chassis, just due to their designs. In saying that, they both have the same recoil pad, so the recoil is manageable. Additionally, the polymer clad XRS will dampen sound and retain heat better than the partially bare Oryx, so depending on the type of shooting that you will be doing, that may help make your choice for you?

End of the day, you'll be the one shooting your chassis, not me, so be sure to choose based on what matters to you :) We also do have a 30-day, money back guarantee if you find that you're not happy with your choice, you can send it back.

Hope this helps!
Josh

Reactions: Kickin45
Hey @MDT_Josh how does the balance/weight of the XRS compare to say an Oryx or an ACC? I'm looking for a very specific tuned NRL22 setup. On my Vudoo, with an 18" Kukri and an ACC, to get it balanced in front of the mag well so it can sit freely on barricades, it's sitting about 16.5 lbs. This requires all the inner weights and an external weight set. This is also with me removing all weight from the back (swapped to aluminum buttplate, removed thumbwheels, and no bagrider).

Ideally I'd love the rifle to be balanced and only be around 14lbs, help with the offhand stages.

Do you know if the XRS is significantly lighter in the back, and might just magically balance out better? I guess to tune it, it'd be a steel LOP spacer, and a pair of external m-lok weights.

In your picture here - Is this with the 10.25" MDT Arca Rail?

1585266288199.png

Hey @MDT_Josh how does the balance/weight of the XRS compare to say an Oryx or an ACC? I'm looking for a very specific tuned NRL22 setup. On my Vudoo, with an 18" Kukri and an ACC, to get it balanced in front of the mag well so it can sit freely on barricades, it's sitting about 16.5 lbs. This requires all the inner weights and an external weight set. This is also with me removing all weight from the back (swapped to aluminum buttplate, removed thumbwheels, and no bagrider).

Ideally I'd love the rifle to be balanced and only be around 14lbs, help with the offhand stages.

Do you know if the XRS is significantly lighter in the back, and might just magically balance out better? I guess to tune it, it'd be a steel LOP spacer, and a pair of external m-lok weights.

In your picture here - Is this with the 10.25" MDT Arca Rail?

View attachment 7282626

This might help. Rem 700 with 26" med palma. About 14lbs all in.
Photo 2020-02-16, 12 07 34 PM.jpg

Hey @littlepod good question! @dgheriani is right that his photo displays how much the weight distribution is different in the XRS than the ACC or Oryx for that matter. Basically, it comes down to the fact that there is very little aluminum in the buttstock of the XRS meaning that you can get the centre of gravity a lot further forward with a decent barrel profile.

I think that for your setup, the XRS would be a little under 14 lbs, but you may find that the balance point is not far enough forward and could have to add some external weights to the forend. So by switching out from the light ACC to an XRS with minimal weight added, you'd probably get good balance and drop the weight off the gun you're looking for.

The Oryx is a little different in the fact that it still has a bit of weight in the buttstock (more than the XRS but less than the AC w/ alumnium buttpad base). To get the correct balance on the Oryx, you'd either need a heavier barrel or more weight up front, which means you'd probably be at a similar weight that your ACC is at now.

Josh

Reactions: littlepod
I have been waiting for the Howa 1500 chassis to be available. Any word on release date? Website says end of May.

@MDT_Josh are these being released by this weekend? Im getting antsy lol. I waited up all night to buy on the 21st for my savage xD

We've delayed slightly, shouldn't be to much longer now.

I have been waiting for the Howa 1500 chassis to be available. Any word on release date? Website says end of May.

Very soon, just some slight delays right now.

Well I’m definitely in for a Howa 1500 model as I cannot find DBM that actually fits the factory stock. So a chassis is my only option.

Reactions: stilesg57
Not at this time :( We would have to alter the current molds (which are currently running as fast as they can) or make a new run of molds/metal. Right now, there is no timeline on lefty inlets as far as I know unfortunately.

Josh
That’s a bummer. Was really liking this over the bravo.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I'm waiting on my XRS to arrive this week. I have an impact precision 737 and a hawkhill heavy varmint contour waiting to go in. Based on a previous convo, my fingers are crossed that the action with trigger hanger will drop right in.
Also hoping area 419s arca rail holes will line up. I only MDT has a rail but I think it stops at 10 where 419 stops at 12.

I'm waiting on my XRS to arrive this week. I have an impact precision 737 and a hawkhill heavy varmint contour waiting to go in. Based on a previous convo, my fingers are crossed that the action with trigger hanger will drop right in.
Also hoping area 419s arca rail holes will line up. I only MDT has a rail but I think it stops at 10 where 419 stops at 12.
Shouldn't be an issue to both!

Reactions: BravoXray
Saw the Howa was pushed back to end of June — do you know if that’s more of an optimistic date or more of a probable one by any chance? In FDE?

Howa inletted Bravos in FDE are still out of stock too so I’m not going to succumb to any late-night retail therapy yet, ha

Saw the Howa was pushed back to end of June — do you know if that’s more of an optimistic date or more of a probable one by any chance? In FDE?

Howa inletted Bravos in FDE are still out of stock too so I’m not going to succumb to any late-night retail therapy yet, ha
Stay tuned, sign up for our newsletter to be kept up to date with all XRS news.

IMG_1061.JPG

Well, win one for MDT. My Impact Precision 737 dropped right in. No inletting, no Dremel, no modding. It also fit my truck axle of a HawkHill Barrel, with room to spare. In addition the Area 419 Universal Arca rail line right up.
The only gripe I do have is that the XRS mag well is super tight and doesn't seem to like my metal Accurate mags or AI mags. They will fit but not without some coaxing.
Now my p-mags, no problem slide right in and out. I thought about maybe filing a bit away to make room but if the p-mags work than I'll just stick with them and keep the metal mags for my AX chassis.
Installation was a breeze but the captured action screws could be a PITA if I decide I need to switch them out for any reason.
I finally took this build out today to zero, the first time being fired, no break-in process and I'm a happy camper. I almost forgot how much I liked shooting a traditional stock setup vs ergo and chassis.

So not knocking the Bravo, but I think the extra $ for this is justified.
It fit the Impact without modification. That right there saved me $200 from a smith.
It fit a bull barrel contour easily.
The ability to switch grips is actually very effective.
The forearm is longer than the bravo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx_Aggie
View attachment 7353192
Well, win one for MDT. My Impact Precision 737 dropped right in. No inletting, no Dremel, no modding. It also fit my truck axle of a HawkHill Barrel, with room to spare. In addition the Area 419 Universal Arca rail line right up.
The only gripe I do have is that the XRS mag well is super tight and doesn't seem to like my metal Accurate mags or AI mags. They will fit but not without some coaxing.
Now my p-mags, no problem slide right in and out. I thought about maybe filing a bit away to make room but if the p-mags work than I'll just stick with them and keep the metal mags for my AX chassis.
Installation was a breeze but the captured action screws could be a PITA if I decide I need to switch them out for any reason.
I finally took this build out today to zero, the first time being fired, no break-in process and I'm a happy camper. I almost forgot how much I liked shooting a traditional stock setup vs ergo and chassis.

So not knocking the Bravo, but I think the extra $ for this is justified.
It fit the Impact without modification. That right there saved me $200 from a smith.
It fit a bull barrel contour easily.
The ability to switch grips is actually very effective.
The forearm is longer than the bravo.
So overall you feel the xrs is a better choice when compared to the bravo? I have the bravo all set up for competition but I do love the longer fore end on the xrs

For my purpose I feel that when compared to the Bravo price wise the extra $100 is justified given the extra feature sets the XRS has over the Bravo.

If a person already has the Bravo, I'm not certain it makes much since to ditch it for the XRS though. Unless you really need or really want those features.

But if you have neither and are trying to decide and the extra $100 is giving you pause it shouldn't. The XRS isn't slightly more $ for no reason. You're getting a few more features out of the box.

Like I said, the fact that my Impact with the trigger hanger dropped right in saved me that amount of $ or a little more than if I had bought the bravo and had to get it inletted. I know some will say I could've did it myself, but I'm not buying a brand new stock or chassis to turn right around and hack it with a dremel and hope to get it right...lol.
I did that once already .

Also I dont get where people were criticizing it feels cheap. They couldn't have handled or shot with it. Ok I get it,there's polymer on the outside. I have had a Hogue two AI chassis and a Remington PCR which was all aluminum. The XRS feels just as rigid as the AI and Rem but not as cold if that makes any since. It's more comfortable to the touch.

These are just my opinions however.

Hey everyone,

We just dropped the second batch of inlets, we are in stock and shipping for Savage SA, Howa 1500 SA, Tikka T3/T3X SA, and the Remington 783 SA all in black. FDE will be coming in the following weeks!

Random question for MDT: any idea on when the FDE XRS Chassis are shipping? Ordered one the other day, going on vacation in the woods starting Aug 11th and would love to take a new rifle build with me but don’t want to get my hopes up if it’s still a month out or something. Thanks!

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Random question for MDT: any idea on when the FDE XRS Chassis are shipping? Ordered one the other day, going on vacation in the woods starting Aug 11th and would love to take a new rifle build with me but don’t want to get my hopes up if it’s still a month out or something. Thanks!

I am sure that @MDT_OFFICIAL will confirm, but I believe they are shipping now. It may be a slight delay on certain inlets but not too long :D

Josh

Yes, they are shipping now!