• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nielson Kellerman (i.e. Kestrel -Customer Service)

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
So about 3-4 weeks ago, I purchased a 4500NV with Bluetooth from an online vendor as they had them for $315 new and I couldn't pass it up.

Well I get the unit and out of the box, the Bluetooth will not synch with anything. I was traveling for a few weeks for work so the unit sat in my safe until I got home. When I finally got home, I decided to pull out my spectrum analyzer and bluetooth sniffing tools and see if this thing was even transmitting as I didnt think it was. Sure enough. No signals, LAP's etc so I call Customer service. For the first CS girl I got on the phone, the conversation went a bit like this.

Me: I need an RMA as the bluetooth module does not work in my Kestrel.
CS : Sir, that device will only pair with X, Y, Z applications and devices
Me: Sorry but you're incorrect, there are literally thousands of people pairing this with a multitude of 3rd party apps and devices.
CS: Im sorry sir but you're incorrect.
Me: I assure you the Bluetooth module does not work, it does not transmit.
CS: You need to use one of the specified applications.
Me: Do you know what a spectrum analyzer is?
CS: No
Me: Well I do, and your engineers do since they use them to design this product. I used my spectrum analyzer and a Bluetooth sniffing application to validate that my device is transmitting any Bluetooth signals, no LAP's, etc so please put me on the phone with an engineer or someone that understands what Im talking about.
CS: Hold Please - Can you call back when we have an Engineer on hand.

Today I get a hold of them and they ask me to send it in and they would inspect/repair it and send it back. When I asked for a shipping label they said customers usually send the devices back on their own and they cover the second half of the shipping. I politely stated that I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending more money on a unit that was supposed to be functioning out of the box but isnt.

At this point he put me on hold and talked with the Manager and came back on the phone with the following:

Sir, we are going to ship you a new unit and in that box will be a return shipping label for you to send your current unit back. Your new unit will ship today and you should have it in 2-3 days!

Wow, Talk about great customer service and a level of service that many vendors wouldn't even consider doing these days.

Thank you Nielson Kellerman!