• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

Awesome. Thanks for the response. Im trying to decide between the two for a short 308 rifle. Is 3.5-15 a lot to heft around the country?

Yes but it has 8mil marked vertical and 10 Mil total vertical
Nightforce does not show the actual reticle for the 2.5-10+42 mm Milr MRAD turrets. They are aware and are in the process of updating the web

Awesome. Thanks for the response. Im trying to decide between the two for a short 308 rifle. Is 3.5-15 a lot to heft around the country?

about 10 more oz. Weight that small is usually not an issue for me. I carry mine as pictured with bipod and stock pack. If a guy is gonna stress about 8-10 ozs more, ya better get your butt in shape before ya hit the hills. :)

Running it on a short 308 like you are thinking, the 2.5-10x42 would be perfect. Imagine you are shooting 1k and under for sure and more than likely 600 to 800

Yes but it has 8mil marked vertical and 10 Mil total vertical
Nightforce does not show the actual reticle for the 2.5-10+42 mm Milr MRAD turrets. They are aware and are in the process of updating the web

8 Mils from the center in either direction for windage and 10 Mils down from center for vertical?

No 8 Mils of hold over marked in hash mark but then goes in to .1 Mil hash mark for total of 10 Mil and 5 Mil hold under Hash mark Wind is 4 Mil after that it goes to .2 Mil hash mark making 5 Mil total

One of the best scopes o the market. Does everything you need and bulletproof reliability. You get a light, clear, dependable, repeatable and versatile scope that will handle lowlight well. If your not ELR shooting it should fit the bill for a lot of shooters.

Great job NF!

8 Mils from the center in either direction for windage and 10 Mils down from center for vertical?

Vertical as in elevation NOT windage. 8 Mil hash mark then goes to .1 Mil hash mark
Wind is 5 Mil total left or right of the elevation

Sendero-Man,

Have you compared this with the upcoming Bushnell spec'd by G.A. Precision?

Been shooting this scope in the MOAR for a few weeks on a new GAP 6.5 4S. Compact. Tough. Positive clicks. Zero Stop. Crystal clear. Bright. Uncluttered reticle. I really like it. IMG_0785.jpgIMG_0787.jpgIMG_0802.jpg

Reactions: withoutwarning
I tell you, I like the overall layout of the MOAR much better than the MIL-R. Seems like it is much less cluttered...

Sendero, the first pic is so amazing, I now have it as my wallpaper. The rifle sure is beautiful, but man that landscape is something.

Its a reminder for me to get out and find the great places the world has to offer.

Cheers

How is the FOV and eye box on this scope? Any idea how it would compare to a USO 1.8-10? I am asking because I have the USO and find this scope interesting.

I have extensively hunted the 2 of this model I have on a couple of my rifles this season.

I am very impressed with the scope and it's features. It is very clear and bright for lower light conditions, the illumination is about perfect for my uses and I have really fallen in love with the MOAR reticle.

I will be selling off a couple more of my current scopes and picking up an additional couple of these for other hunting rifles.

IMHO, this is one of the best all around hunting scopes for true hunting situations. Generally, if you need more than 10x, it's time to stalk closer!

In the above pic of the MOAR ret., it seems to be scaled much differently than Nightforce's product literature would have one believe.

Does anyone have or can link to a through the scope pic of the mil-dot and MIL-R on the 2.5-10x42?

With some help from Dr. Martin Luther King, and the cooperation of unusually calm winds on the high desert, I ran this scope out to 1000 yards today. Dialed the 18 1/2 minutes called for on my ballistic program and dug in. Wow. Was sure I was sinnin' 'cuz I know I was grinnin'. Gonna find a couple coyotes tomorrow that think they're outta range and give them the chance to chase rabbits on the other side.

GAP 6.5 SAUM 4S

it is an outstanding optic
It may very well find a home on my 68.
Glass is very good, very easy to get behind, nice forgiving eyebox, parallax is not finicky, turrets don't accidentally move and the reticle illumination works very well for true low, low light. I find the 2 lowest NV settings work well and don't obscure your target.

As soon as my tax stamp gets back this will have a Templar Tactical Nemisis30
Can't wait to whack some hogs, yotes and deer with it!

Nightfore-2.5-10x42-on-Wilson-Combat-6.8-full-size.jpg

Last edited:
To those of you who are using this scope for hunting, what reticles are you using?

I was very, very happy to see a company like Nightforce bring an optic like this to the market; I'm glad to year it's getting positive marks. Can't wait until mine shows up.

Well, I am buying one and probably two. I will go for the Mil-R, as all my adjustable turrets are MIL. Thanks for the replies. One for an AR and one for a Model 70 in 325WSM.

To those of you who are using this scope for hunting, what reticles are you using?

I have the MOAR as well on my 6.8. I'm curious though. Is the 2.5-10x42 that much better than the x32? I currently have the x32 on my 6.8 and I'm not sure if i want the x42 for my GAP 6.5 4S on order or if I want something a little bigger. Like say the BEAST.

ccoker, did you ever do that hydrophobic scope test on this NF? On OT you mentioned that you had plans to test it with water, and also compare it to a Leica or Swaro.

-Steve

I have the MOAR as well on my 6.8. I'm curious though. Is the 2.5-10x42 that much better than the x32? I currently have the x32 on my 6.8 and I'm not sure if i want the x42 for my GAP 6.5 4S on order or if I want something a little bigger. Like say the BEAST.

What platform of SAUM you have on order ? Tact rifle or Hunter platform ?

I'm no photographer, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Convenient that the Nightforce UL Med rings from my other scope were the perfect height for my POF. Switching from a 3-15x50 in an ADM mount to this 2.5-10x42 in lightweight NF rings and changing from a Vltor EMOD stock to a Magpul CTR with a 1/2" riser I saved 18 oz in weight and got a better cheekweld. Loving this scope.

2e0n3eo.jpg

2cr6829.jpg

Edit: This is the best photo my iPhone and I could get of the Mil-R inside my house. Hope this helps till someone better at reticle pics comes along?

kccpbb.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked one of these up for my SCAR 17S, and IMO it is ideal. I had the -32mm version on it for a while and wasn't happy with it. Switched to a Henny 3-12x56 for a while which was wonderful but just too bulky. The 2.5-10x42mm is the Goldilocks scope, just right for this application.

Rye daddy,

Awesome reticle pics. Think I'm sold on the mil-r reticle.

So the question is this:

Are the features of the 42 worth $262 over the 32? I'm planning on a 32 or 42 to go on top of a 5.56 SPR. This will be my only indulgence into high end magnified optics. What say you snipers hide?

To me the extra $$ was worth it for parallax adjust alone. I have this on my 308 as pictured which is my go-to hunting rifle, mostly coyotes and hogs which are nocturnal, so the larger objective is a very welcome bonus. This scope is much brighter than my 3.5-15x50 F1.

The whole reticle lights up, except the thick outside bars and the "T" mil-ing scale at lower right.

Edit: Nightforce's page has it correct. Illumination looks just like the image below.
2cdfqdc.jpg

Last edited:
Rye daddy,

Awesome reticle pics. Think I'm sold on the mil-r reticle.

So the question is this:

Are the features of the 42 worth $262 over the 32? I'm planning on a 32 or 42 to go on top of a 5.56 SPR. This will be my only indulgence into high end magnified optics. What say you snipers hide?

The surface area of the 42mm front lens is almost twice that of the 32mm lens. So the image should be brighter and the exit pupil larger for easier target acquisition. I remember Lowlight saying that this scope had an extremely forgiving eyebox.. The larger objective lens alone is probably worth the $262.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. What's an extra $250 when dropping $1500 anyway. You can either afford it or not. That was the push I needed.

While I really love the 32s, my hunting rifles with the 32s are going to be converted to the 42s all around.

The 32s are perfect on the ARs they reside on and will stay there.