• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

As mentioned by other poster's...this scope in 3.5-15,would by my dream scope( within my price range )...but as I am within days of picking up a scope for my lastest rifle,I will call this second best and order one for a mid weight,short barreled,308 bolt gun...I've been using a 5.5-22x50 on a 15 pound monster for a few years and I love the scope...But I would gladly give up some light gathering ability and field of view for a reduction in weight and a smaller footprint...
A question for those owning these...
Am I wrong to assume that the cattail is removable...???
Thanks guys...!

A question for those owning these...
Am I wrong to assume that the cattail is removable...???
Thanks guys...!

It's not even installed on the scope in the box. You have to put it on, so... yes, it is removable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else notice curvature of field at the edges? I believe I remember seeing it mostly on lower powers. Other than that the scope is running great. I just didn't expect it.

Nightforce 2.5-10x42 .... This is what was missing !! :)

Anyone else notice curvature of field at the edges? I believe I remember seeing it mostly on lower powers. Other than that the scope is running great. I just didn't expect it.

Yes, I noticed and I mentioned it previously in this thread on 2/25:

"There is some barrel distortion at 2.5x but it is not enough to be distracting. I returned a Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x for that reason. In the Nightforce, 2.5x is perfectly usable."

I still feel the same way. The curvature is noticeable but it could be much worse, and I personally do not find it enough to be distracting. A perfectly flat field would obviously be better, but it would likely require specialized lenses that would drive up the price. For my money I think NF found the right balance.

Others may be more sensitive to this issue, of course. But I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying this scope based on this reason unless you know that you absolutely must have a perfectly flat field at 2.5x.

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed and I mentioned it previously in this thread on 2/25:

"There is some barrel distortion at 2.5x but it is not enough to be distracting. I returned a Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x for that reason. In the Nightforce, 2.5x is perfectly usable."

I still feel the same way. The curvature is noticeable but it could be much worse, and I personally do not find it enough to be distracting. A perfectly flat field would obviously be better, but it would likely require specialized lenses that would drive up the price. For my money I think NF found the right balance.

Others may be more sensitive to this issue, of course. But I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying this scope based on this reason unless you know that you absolutely must have a perfectly flat field at 2.5x.

I'm pleased with the scope. It is my first NF so I didn't know exactly what to expect. The clarity and color is excellent. Makes a 10x as useful as 14x Leupold to me. I was initially concerned about going with only 10x, but since using it I have no regrets. I would easily recommend it. Makes me wish I had two. Maybe a 3-15 one day in compact size. The. I would replace my SWFA 5-20x50. I think 42mm and 12" length is more practical for typical hunting. My SWFA is a bit large for my tastes, but it serves it's purpose.

I'm thinking of buying one with mil dot reticle. Anyone have one they can comment on or share a photo of the reticle? I want a mil/mil and would like to use for hunting. Which reticle mil-r or mil dot stands out better? I had a 2.5-10x32 with np-r2. The reticle was way too fine for my liking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There are a few pics of the Nightforce mil-dot at 2.5 and 10x in this thread...

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-field-photography/439-through-scope-pics-8.html

Just Google "nightforce mildot 10x" on images and you'll get a ton of results. Make sure the pics you are looking at are through a 10x scope so the reticle is scaled to what you would see in the 2.5-10x NXS.

If I was going to get the 2.5-10x42, it would be with the mil-dot reticle. I was always a big fan of NFs mil-dot.

Nice scope, nice rifle, nice sling, and nice view but its bullshit that your out shooting while I'm at work . Oh yea and thanks for the pictures (the ones I haven't got yet) laugh

There are a few pics of the Nightforce mil-dot at 2.5 and 10x in this thread...

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-field-photography/439-through-scope-pics-8.html

Just Google "nightforce mildot 10x" on images and you'll get a ton of results. Make sure the pics you are looking at are through a 10x scope so the reticle is scaled to what you would see in the 2.5-10x NXS.

If I was going to get the 2.5-10x42, it would be with the mil-dot reticle. I was always a big fan of NFs mil-dot.

Thanks for the link. I found a mil dot @ 10× in the thread. It looked like an anemic floating crosshair. Seems the mil-r may stand out better in clutter. At least the posts extend to the edge.

Think this one has moa turrets. I wish night force would change to their mildot 2.0 or either standard mildot for this scope. Their original mildot is just not visible enough for me.

Last edited:
Good catch. I was about to order it. The mil/mil version is still $1,940.00

I always like NFs mil-dot. I like how it floats, and the whole reticle is illuminated, and the fact that its non-obtrusive. That is a fine line to walk though.

Any of you with this scope and moar or mil-r feel like it is good for hunting as well? I want to use this scope for dual purposes hunting/long range shooting. I wish I could look through both in person. do you feel the reticle is too cluttered or fine for fast target acquisition? Thanks for any input.

I've had this scope (mil-r reticle/mil turrets) on an LMT MWS for several months now. I'm lovin' it. Have only taken it to 500y so far but wouldn't hesitate to take it much farther. Great upgrade over the 32mm version.

Well it's not a long range update, but I did smoke a yote running at 40 yards or so with this optic this past weekend. I mention it because I was leery the fine reticle may hinder target acquisition for action shots. Had the optic set on 2.75 and the dog stormed out of a pine sapling clear cut. I was able to shoulder, center and fire in about two running strides.

It is working out for my intended use on my varmint rig. Hope to test the waters at longer range. I did have a running shot on another at 400 yards but decided not to pull the trigger as it was early in the hunt.

I just got mine today:) mil/mil with mil-r. I was thinking it had 10 mil per rotation but it has only 5. The moa version has more adjustment per rotation 20 moa per rotation. The clicks feel great and reticle looks much better in person than in photos. I've seen the moar in person and now mil-r. The thicker lines leading to the center are larger on the mil-r I believe which I like. The fine lines look about the same. I will have to say that I can pick up the reticle much easier than I thought I would.

Last edited:
I just got mine today:) mil/mil with mil-r. I was thinking it had 10 mil per rotation but it has only 5. The moa version has finer clicks 20 moa per rotation. The clicks feel great and reticle looks much better in person than in photos. I've seen the moar in person and now mil-r. The thicker lines leading to the center are larger on the mil-r I believe which I like. The fine lines look about the same. I will have to say that I can pick up the reticle much easier than I thought I would.

Pix please !

I am digging mine on my 204 Ruger AR build.
image.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402411714897.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402411741447.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402411764608.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402411797096.jpguploadfromtaptalk1402411809023.jpg
I had to cut off and refinish the extended portion of the nf base because with the nf low rings I couldn't get the scope back enough without the bell hitting the base.

Last edited:
We're trying out two (mil turrets, Mil-R reticles). Should be here Monday. If we like them, they are going to replace our old Leupolds on our PD sniper rifles. These look really promising for what we'd use them for. I like the SFP, matching turrets, zero stop, better illumination, and wider FOV on low power. I've got my fingers crossed.

Well, I'm not a scope guru by any means - but these new scopes are a big step up from the old Luppy 3.5-10 mil dot scopes we were using before.

I'm glad we went with the 2.5-10 instead of the 3.5-15. Much smaller, better illumination options, much lighter. Really like the reticle. Can't find anything bad about the scopes so far - except I need several more. And one for my personal rifle.

I had to do the same thing with Seekins rings and extended base. No big deal, but I would rather not cut $100 base. End result was great.
I agree I'd rather not have to cut the base. I'm actually thinking of cutting one more notch off. To answer the question about reticle level I used the wheeler engineering tool. The picture looks crooked but the gun is canted in the photo.

Does anyone know if Medium Nightforce rings will be enough for the bell to clear the upper receiver on a SCAR? Or will higher rings be necessary?

Love mine, cool little scope. Light weight, clean glass, sweet set-up.

Need some details on the mount.... will it clear the rear BUIS if the glass was flush with the charging handle? How's your eye relief at the said location?

I'm going to give this glass a try on my LPR as well... Looking for a 10-20moa mount that clear the rear BUIS while keeping the obj on the tighter side (closer to the rail).

thanks for your feedback sir...

Need some details on the mount.... will it clear the rear BUIS if the glass was flush with the charging handle? How's your eye relief at the said location?

I'm going to give this glass a try on my LPR as well... Looking for a 10-20moa mount that clear the rear BUIS while keeping the obj on the tighter side (closer to the rail).

thanks for your feedback sir...

Just a regular KAC 30mm mount, no cant.

Eurooptics has a 30mm mount that is less expensive, pretty sure it's a little lower.

http://www.eurooptic.com/eurooptic-alloy-unimount-30mm-20-moa-12-high-with-bubble-level.aspx

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Mine is in a 1.5" height no cant mount with the eyepiece directly over a 200-600 micro and there is ~.35" clearance.

I'll probably go with a NF unimount.... thinking a 20 moa/1.375"... hopefully it clears everything.

Guys, the LPR/NF combo gets the most "jelly" looks at the range. Yeah, yeah, it's not a .308…..

Still makes mofos peckers hard.

0-400 still is hard to beat.

KAC/NF/SMK 262… what have YOU got...

My second son is 150 lbs., this is his rifle.

At 100 yds…

The Black square is 1"

Put one on my Desert Tech Covert, normally run the 16.25" 308 barrel for an OAL of 29", but tossed in my 22.5" 338L barrel and gave it a run at 825 yds after checking my 100yd zero

love this scope!

Perfect compliment to my moar ATACR LR setup

had to come up 1/2 moa on 825, using Kestrel 4500AB

yep, NF makes a fine product. Got mine mounted on my LPR and it functions and fits the platform to the "T"...

Got the new NF 2.5-10x42 Compact mounted up and trying it out. What a great compact scope !

I have ran the 32mm version for years with no complaints at all. The new 42mm is loaded with great upgrades for sure.... Of course the new 42mm front objective, Side parallax adjustment, power throw lever, New Digillum digital illumination with choice of red or green illumination and NV compatible, high speed turrets, Zero Stop... just to name some.

What height rings are those?