• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nikon FX-1000

That is normal. It is not going to be on the zero line unless you get a lot more angled rail to mount it on. The zero stop just keeps the turret from going below zero and doesn't set the turret on the zero line.

Is that common on most scopes? For example, would I be left with the same situation on a Athlon Ares ETR?

Yes, it will be the same on almost all scopes. The zero stop will let you turn the turret down to a hard stop, but it will not be all the way down. The turret will be on the zero mil line, and you just run it up to your desired setting. Assuming that you are running a 100 yd zero, you just turn it back down til it stops, and you are back at 100. I hope all this makes sense, sometimes you can say one thing, but it comes across as another.

Reactions: Evan the CDN
If somebody from Nikon is ready this, please get examples of FX1000's out to a few competent Youtube reviewers. It's frustrating how few videos there are for them. What I found was a guy who didn't bother mounting it on a rifle, a guy who bolted it to a 2x4 (this was actually an effective tracking test), more guys that have never mounted it on a rifle, a guy plinking a .22lr and a guy with an air rifle). I can't be the only one who relies pretty heavily on video reviews for purchasing decisions. It would be worth the cost and effort to get it into the hands of a few good content creators.

If somebody from Nikon is ready this, please get examples of FX1000's out to a few competent Youtube reviewers. It's frustrating how few videos there are for them. What I found was a guy who didn't bother mounting it on a rifle, a guy who bolted it to a 2x4 (this was actually an effective tracking test), more guys that have never mounted it on a rifle, a guy plinking a .22lr and a guy with an air rifle). I can't be the only one who relies pretty heavily on video reviews for purchasing decisions. It would be worth the cost and effort to get it into the hands of a few good content creators.

Evan, what will another video review add beyond the already existing reviews, product description videos, industry interviews with product marketing experts, experienced shooter evaluations, descriptions of problems encountered, and customer service resolutions already existing on this and other forums?

I’d suggest a google search as there are many FX1000 threads discussing performance, subjective optical and mechanical quality, and other issues encountered by early adopters. Ultimately, you will have to take a leap of faith and believe what others say or find an FX1000 to look through and decide for yourself.

I own an FX1000 and had multiple issues early on which were subsequently resolved by Nikon to my complete satisfaction. My issues and resolution were discussed on multiple thread on this site. Actually, several entries on this very thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: bman940
Evan, what will another video review add beyond the already existing reviews, product description videos, industry interviews with product marketing experts, experienced shooter evaluations, descriptions of problems encountered, and customer service resolutions already existing on this and other forums?

I’d suggest a google search as there are many FX1000 threads discussing performance, subjective optical and mechanical quality, and other issues encountered by early adopters. Ultimately, you will have to take a leap of faith and believe what others say or find an FX1000 to look through and decide for yourself.

I own an FX1000 and had multiple issues early on which were subsequently resolved by Nikon to my complete satisfaction. My issues and resolution were discussed on multiple thread on this site. Actually, several entries on this very thread.
When you say "already existing reviews" do you mean the videos I mentioned? I don't frequent forums because I stare at a computer all day for work but I do stream content on my TV in the evenings a few times a week. I feel I get a much better understanding of a product by watching it being used rather than reading text and looking at still images. I guess I've been spoiled lately by the content coming out of channels that are being given or loaned new products in return for honest feedback in the form of video reviews. I'll have to do some more forum browsing.

When you say "already existing reviews" do you mean the videos I mentioned? I don't frequent forums because I stare at a computer all day for work but I do stream content on my TV in the evenings a few times a week. I feel I get a much better understanding of a product by watching it being used rather than reading text and looking at still images. I guess I've been spoiled lately by the content coming out of channels that are being given or loaned new products in return for honest feedback in the form of video reviews. I'll have to do some more forum browsing.

Evan, A google search will give you plenty of positive video reviews of folks using Nikon’s BLACK FX1000 scope. You will be pleasantly surprised with what you find with minimal effort.

I trust the opinions of users on this thread more than anonymous youtuber reviews. I liked what I read here and checked them out at a couple local stores and was even more impressed. Then I found them on sale for $685 and should have it on Wednesday. FX1000 6-24 mil f1. Should be pretty awesome for my 20 tac prairie dog rifle.

Last edited:
I spoke with one of my favourite stores about it and he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. It's on order (6-24 MRAD).

During New years I ordered a 4-16x50 non-illuminated MOA for under $600 shipped from Sport optics!

I received my FX1000 4-16x50 non illuminated the other day.

I will first say this, my initial impression has left me very impressed with the product and it's something that I definitely want to keep and no way am I here to bash Nikon. With that said, my windage turret has a ghost click in it. It's faint but it's there. However, when I blindly turn it and count...the hash marks are dead on every time.

Note: I have contacted the seller and bman940 (who has been very helpful)

I have attached a video and tried to get the sound on video the best I could (it's not mounted to a rifle yet). Everything else about this scope is perfect.

Without rehashing every post here is the short summary of the Nikon BLACK FX1000 scope:
A well designed, feature packed scope that is aggressively priced and performs above its price point. Room to improve but well worth consideration from a respectable manufacturer.

Don't try and make it more then it is and realize that the S&B/NF/2k+ scopes are priced that way for their refinement. The users will always nitpick. Plenty of big chain stores have these to play with...go check them out and you may just enjoy what you see.

Reactions: jafo96
I put a 4-16x non-iluminated on a Remington 700 that I'm slowly building up. After doing a lot of shopping and comparing, I felt that the Nikon was the best scope in the price range that my budget could afford. I've had it to the range and zeroed it, and I have to say I am totally happy so far. I look forward to a few more range sessions, and I expect the scope to continue to perform very well. I like it!

Thank you, Guys. Much appreciated! Sadly after almost 10 years of helping you guys out, Nikon has decided to let me go. So, if anyone needs my help with a Nikon service issue or anything else Nikon related please get in touch with me before 1/31/19 and I will do my best, as always.

Last edited:
Thank you, Guy's. Much appreciated. Sadly after almost 10 years of helping guys out, Nikon has decided to let me go. So, if anyone needs my help with a Nikon service issue or anything else Nikon related please get in touch with me before 1/31/19 and I will do my best, as always.
Sorry to hear that. You were like the one reason I would consider the nikon. Your efforts didnt go unnoticed by many on the forum here. They are making a mistake and I wish you luck on whatever your next endeavor is.

bman, so sorry to hear Nikon is cutting you loose as your intervention was the main reason I was able to resolve my issues with Nikon to my complete satisfaction. Initially, Nikon Customer Service was giving me the run around and things only got on track once you began advocating on my behalf.

Knowing I had you as an avenue to resolve issues gave me the confidence to recommend the FX1000 to a buddy. UPS is delivering his 6-24 scope today but unfortunately so is my apprehension level regarding the recommendation.

Nikon is the loser on this deal! Hoping they have a change of heart and keep you on-board as a brand ambassador. Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks again for your help in the past.

update:

Sportoptics is replacing my scope no questions asked with no money out of my pocket. Satisfied customer here.

Thank you for the kind words. The guys on the Hide have been great to work with and ones like yourself are much appreciated, Pell.

UPDATE: Just spoke with SportOptics regarding my ghost click, they confirmed to me that it was there. Said this is the first one they have seen since the original batch. They have already put in my new order at absolutely no extra cost to me. They have been a pleasure to deal with and have earned a customer.

Reactions: bman940 and jafo96
Excellent to know. That is how you know you are dealing with a solid company when something goes wrong and you need them to stand behind their sale. Kudos to them and nice of you to pass the info along.

UPDATE: Received my replacement FX1000, everything is perfect. now with the new one in hand, I also realized that my original one while also having the ghost click was extremely hard to turn. I didn't realize bc I had nothing to compare it to. Now with the replacement its night and day.

Reactions: jafo96 and bman940
Something weird is happening with Nikon. I walked by a couple of times during SHOT and the booth was remarkably empty with barely any new stuff. There is product line consolidation happening best I can tell, so I hope they've got something new coming. There were some familiar faces there, like Stephen Miceli. I talked to three people in the booth and none of them were very clear on any of the products. I am not sure what to make of that.

ILya

I have the FX1000 6-24x50 moa and it's nowhere near as sharp or bright as my Vortex PST gen2 3-15x44. I finally had them side by side while zeroing two rifles at the range last week.

I wouldn't call it cloudy like another poster mentioned earlier, it's just not very sharp. I started at 24x but after seeing the lack of clarity I backed it down to around 15-16x, which was better but still not great. The weather was perfect blue skies and the sun wasn't hitting the front of the scope. The vortex glass was stellar in those conditions!

I was hoping the FX1000 would be on par with the PST gen2 but overall I was pretty disappointed. I would return it and get another PST gen2 in a heartbeat if I could but I'm well past the 30 days.

Last edited:
I have the FX1000 6-24x50 moa and it's nowhere near as sharp or bright as my Vortex PST gen2 3-15x44. I finally had them side by side while zeroing two rifles at the range last week.

I wouldn't call it cloudy like another poster mentioned earlier, it's just not very sharp. I started at 24x but after seeing the lack of clarity I backed it down to around 15-16x, which was better but still not great. The weather was perfect blue skies and the sun wasn't hitting the front of the scope. The vortex glass was stellar in those conditions!

I was hoping the FX1000 would be on par with the PST gen2 but overall I was pretty disappointed. I would return it and get another PST gen2 in a heartbeat if I could but I'm well past the 30 days.

Have you had a chance to compare it to PST Gen 1? or Sig Tango4?

ILya

No, I don't own either of those scopes.
I think you should send the Nikon back & tell them it was not clear or bright as other fx1000. My niece & nephew have the pst2 & fx & they are so close in performance no one can tell a difference until we put them next to a pmii, mk5hd, or us optics. Nikon has good customer service, I’m sure they will get you a new one. With as many scopes as they sell there are sure to be some bad ones every now & then

I think you should send the Nikon back & tell them it was not clear or bright as other fx1000. My niece & nephew have the pst2 & fx & they are so close in performance no one can tell a difference until we put them next to a pmii, mk5hd, or us optics. Nikon has good customer service, I’m sure they will get you a new one. With as many scopes as they sell there are sure to be some bad ones every now & then

That's kinda what I was hoping to hear. I was excited to get this scope, until I went back and forth between it and the PST gen2. I only found this thread after searching about the image quality from the FX1000. I was hoping mine just had an issue and the sharpness/clarity can be corrected. I'll give them a call and see what they say.

I have not seen too many FX1000s, but I made it a point to examine a few. The ones I have seen are not in the same league as PST Gen 2.

As far a Nikon CS goes, my experience with them is not recent, so I hope they got better since I've used it last.

Ilya

I have not seen too many FX1000s, but I made it a point to examine a few. The ones I have seen are not in the same league as PST Gen 2.

As far a Nikon CS goes, my experience with them is not recent, so I hope they got better since I've used it last.

Ilya
Definitely not with the turrets, reticle, or eyebox. Overall optical is close on my nephews & 2 others I have seen. With any sub $1000 scopes there are going to be some bad ones but a lot people have said they compare well optically & my cousin & nephew use the pst2 & fx1000 a lot & agree theirs were close optically but not in the turret, parallax, eyebox, or reticle

I hope Nikons quality control gets better because it seems like there’s a lot of good & bad reviews. I hear the cs is good about fixing or replacing. I got one of those bushnell ffp spotters & it took 3 replaced ones to get one as good as my cousins & now I’m very happy for a sub $400 spotter it’s great

Ilya
I got one of these 6-24x diamondback Tactical for another neice going on a 223 bolt. How do they compare to the pst2 I haven’t mounted it yet

Attachments

• CEEAACB5-A97C-4D12-8844-F16CFDC6E8AD.jpeg
    CEEAACB5-A97C-4D12-8844-F16CFDC6E8AD.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 92
My 6-24 Illuminated came. Going straight back. haven't decided if I want to send it back and give Nikon another chance or do a Viper PST Gen 2 now.

I noticed a bit of lash in the power wheel when I unboxed it. Annoying but.. meh. Maybe it is normal for them or something. Then I studied on it closer tonight. That lash when rotating the power wheel rotates the reticle about 3-4 degrees along with it. No thanks. To be honest I'm kind of salty about it. Was wanting to turn this thing loose this weekend and would rather not stick a temp on it. After that I didn't have the heart to chart it and check the glass but cursory observation was that it is nothing special. A big tube of disappointment.

TLDR; There may be good ones but the one I was sent is garbage. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Last edited:
My 6-24 Illuminated came. Going straight back. haven't decided if I want to send it back and give Nikon another chance or do a Viper PST Gen 2 now.

I noticed a bit of lash in the power wheel when I unboxed it. Annoying but.. meh. Maybe it is normal for them or something. Then I studied on it closer tonight. That lash when rotating the power wheel rotates the reticle about 3-4 degrees along with it. No thanks. To be honest I'm kind of salty about it. Was wanting to turn this thing loose this weekend and would rather not stick a temp on it. After that I didn't have the heart to chart it and check the glass but cursory observation was that it is nothing special. A big tube of disappointment.

TLDR; There may be good ones but the one I was sent is garbage. You only get one chance to make a first impression.
If you get rid of Nikon, you should consider a bushnell over the pst2, especially since they have a 20% off retail rebate. I bought the Nikon & pst2 for nephew & niece & the pst2 is only a little bit better. You could get a bushnell lrtsi, dmr2, or dmr2 pro & all those scopes are much better than the pst2 & made in Japan & not the Philippines. Liberty optics has very good prices on bushnell scopes. The lrts 4.5-18x44 & dmr2 would be under $1000 & the dmr2 pro would be just under $1200 with the 20% rebate. I would go with the dmr2 pro, I’ve seen the xrs2 which has glass close to highest end scopes & the dmr2 pro has the same glass that is a lot better than Nikon or pst2. Today is the last day for the bushnell for the 20% off rebate.

For the hunting crowd who would be interested in low light ( moonlight ) performance on the FX1000 line...I was pleased. Late night hog hunting ( approx. 9pm) and on 8x mag messing around I was able to make out my feeder, the handle, 2 coyotes and saw the hog before he triggered the motion sensor for the light. All at approx. 80 yds. Took the shot and now pig is on the menu. Another welcomed surprise from this optic.

For the hunting crowd who would be interested in low light ( moonlight ) performance on the FX1000 line...I was pleased. Late night hog hunting ( approx. 9pm) and on 8x mag messing around I was able to make out my feeder, the handle, 2 coyotes and saw the hog before he triggered the motion sensor for the light. All at approx. 80 yds. Took the shot and now pig is on the menu. Another welcomed surprise from this optic.

Do you have the 4-16 or the 6-24?

After calling Nikon, speaking to a customer service representative, failing to get any answers, I want to publicly apologize for defecting from Vortex and Bushnell in a spur of the moment decision. Sending this thing back to where it came from for a refund. I liked the clicks. I actually like the reticle. The parts designed by a long range shooter are great. The execution of production, at least for this one, was poor. If they want to compete in this world, they better call Vortex customer service themselves and learn how to handle customer issues.

Mine 6x24 fx1000 has the same slop in the mag ring, in and out and left to right, reticle canting when zooming. Not moving alot , but noticeable. I have already had one exchanged because of the ghost clicks, bad when it arrived. so I'm pretty much over this fx1000. I have maybe 50 rounds on a 300 rum (with a 5 port brake) when I noticed the problem.not even sure if the recoil even contributed to this malfunction. Put the gun in the safe and haven't touched it in months, pains me to even look at it. I need to send it in and get it fixed because as it stands I've been able shoot about 50 rds between two scopes. Not looking forward to dealing with Nikon CS either. Lesson learned.

Mine 6x24 fx1000 has the same slop in the mag ring, in and out and left to right, reticle canting when zooming. Not moving alot , but noticeable. I have already had one exchanged because of the ghost clicks, bad when it arrived. so I'm pretty much over this fx1000. I have maybe 50 rounds on a 300 rum (with a 5 port brake) when I noticed the problem.not even sure if the recoil even contributed to this malfunction. Put the gun in the safe and haven't touched it in months, pains me to even look at it. I need to send it in and get it fixed because as it stands I've been able shoot about 50 rds between two scopes. Not looking forward to dealing with Nikon CS either. Lesson learned.

Ages ago, when I was a poor teenager, I had a Bushnell Banner BDC scope on a Model 70 Westerner Featherweight in .300 Win Mag. I got it used and it was already old. 6 1/4 pound winmag eating near max loads behind 180s with no brake. It never lost zero or acted unexpectedly in any way.

With modern manufacturing and QC capabilities, an $800 paperweight is inexcusable. Especially from as old a name as Nikon.

I picked up a refurb from Field Supply for <$450 (illum fx1000, 6-24, moa). It immediately went back to Nikon. Phantom clicks in the elevation turret. Every 1 moa in rotation I would count 6 clicks. Which is obviously not good.

My first response from Nikon was “oh it’s normal for these scopes to have more than the advertised amount of travel.”

I was like “uuuh that’s not even close to what I said was going on. THERE’S EXTRA CLICKS BETWEEN CLICKS THAT SHOULDNT BE THERE. That is absolutely NOT normal.”

Anyhow, that cleared it up and they issued me an RMA and prepaid shipping label.

I’m currently waiting to receive my scope back.

That said, if I get it back, and those extra clicks are gone I will say it’s at least worth what I paid for it.

We shall see.

I am just trying to confirm the configuration for Nikon FX1000 6-24x50SF MRAD on a Sporting Zastava M70 (standard walnut stock) with a Mauser 98 action receiver. Especially the weaver base and rings height. and screws torque values

Weaver Base - Warne M902/830M

Scope Rings - Burris XTR 30mm High - 420164 - torque values: 65 in-pounds for base screw / 20 in-pounds for top ring screws

Scope Sunshade - Nikon 50mm - 6127

Objective Cover - Vortex Defender O-50

Eyepiece Cover - E-10

Thank you.

I am just trying to confirm the configuration for Nikon FX1000 6-24x50SF MRAD on a Sporting Zastava M70 (standard walnut stock) with a Mauser 98 action receiver. Especially the weaver base and rings height. and screws torque values

Scope Rings - Burris XTR 30mm High - 420164 - torque values: 65 in-pounds for base screw / 20 in-pounds for top ring screws

Eyepiece Cover - E-10

Thank you.
It has been my experience that tactical style rings made for picatinny rails will not fit on weaver bases.
The slots cut in the weaver are significantly narrower than the slots in picatinny rails.
The cross bolts are too big for the weaver.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mauser-Picat...004VI3O1Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I recently got a FX 4-16 and I like it. I guess I got a good one as the turrets are nice and crisp, zero stop works well and the glass is good enough. I didn't run a tracking test but I did do a return to zero test out to 5,10, and 15 mils which passed perfectly.

For what I paid, it seems like a good option, hopefully it stays that way.

Eyepiece Cover - E-10

Thank you.

I mounted my FX1000 on an M70 with Burris rings. But I used a one piece mount. I highly recommend that.

Evolution Gun Works has one. 0 or 20 moa. It’s for “Mauser 98 large ring commercial action.”