• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nom nom - cowboy cavier

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
Just made a batch of cowboy Caviar - a great dip/ snack

Lots of recipes out there
Corn
Black beans
Onion
Cilantro
Chili powder
Chipotle powder
Salt
Vinegar
Tomatoes
Red bell pepper

If you google the name, you will find a ton of varieties

1586906046466.jpeg

Care to share what you have been snacking upon?

My wife dragged a new spice home.
It is a keeper like her.

Awsome on an avocado!

20200417_210252.jpg

Went well with our standard burritos.

20200417_210848.jpg

Your standard burrito mix package, lb beef, onions, garlic, can of diced tomatoes, can of ranch style beans, can of green chilies and add the extra fajita spice till taste is right.

Also had a teaspoon of MEXICAN OREGANO on hand.

WARNING !

Do not ever exchange mexican and Italian oregano in any recipie.

Your caviar looks delicious

Fresh basil (Thai basil if you can get it), feta cheese, olive oil, maybe a little bit of fresh garden tomato, a shot of fresh ground black pepper, and a dash of good organic balsamic vinegar. Smear it onto some warm pita bread.

We always called them Prairie Oysters but its still a disgusting concept especially if youve ever seen them separated from the bull. My father used a pocket knife and then rubbed pine tar into the cut. The bulls didnt seem to appreciate it one bit.

My grandmother refused to cook the hog balls. Come cutting time my great uncle would come and help then go fishing in the river with them.

Good catfish bait.

Just made a batch of cowboy Caviar - a great dip/ snack

Lots of recipes out there
Corn
Black beans
Onion
Cilantro
Chili powder
Chipotle powder
Salt
Vinegar
Tomatoes
Red bell pepper

If you google the name, you will find a ton of varieties

View attachment 7298655

Care to share what you have been snacking upon?
Actual caviar is better.

Saved the BBQ gold for mothers day and found a couple of beef rib racks cut off some ribeyes we bought whole.
Sent a picture to the boss and got told to pull the eggs off and boil them like a normal person for the potato salad.

Yes boss.

20200509_155317.jpg

Was so ecstatic on how good this tastes I took a picture of a partially eaten corn cob without realizing it.

Sorry. This is an A++ on corn and avocados, not so much on tomatoes.

20200517_193822.jpg

Reactions: hermosabeach
So call me a schill if you want but I get no compensation.

I'm on retirement fixed income and not getting ss till October.

So what is on sale is what we get.

Kroger in Fort Worth had ribeye steaks on sale for 5.99 dollars a pound. Family pack limited to two.

These were not dry aged top shelf steaks but flavor and quality were very good.

I didn't take pictures but nothing was lacking and I nailed mine at medium rare. Wife and grandson had mr- medium.

Another chain chain grocer had ribeye's at 18 dollars a pound.
They were poorly cut, over trimmed and covered in fat and bone slop since they had not been carded to remove it.

Obviously the meat cutter sucked and store manager was a slacker as well.

Good job Kroger.

Manager there and the butcher Dwane were made aware of our satisfaction.

It's your money.

Reactions: 308pirate
Lucky boy tonight.
Wife made me a mufalata.
Ham, Genoa salami, provalone and Italian olive salad from Louisiana.

Served toasted up on fresh bakery buns with a little mayo. Imposible to get the real bread in Fort Worth Texas. Substitute french or chibata style.

This was awsome.

You can add a third meat customary to use mortadella (fancy baloney ) and another cheese. I added onion and would have added some Italian peppers if I had them.

20200612_191959.jpg

20200612_194554.jpg

Thickest rack of pork ribs I ever saw.

Unfortunately 30mph wind wreaked havoc on my new thin walled smoker temperatures.

Plan B, 4 hours smoke then oven to finish. Damn it.

20200629_121725.jpg

Big fat brisket on the sale rack.
Too big, too fat, too ugly, I'll take it and give it a home.

Call it a rescue brisket I felt sorry no one had gave it a home.

18 1/2 lbs.
20200830_134033.jpg

A quick back yard trim.
20200830_135048.jpg

A little dressing up. And ready to rock.
20200830_141606.jpg
20200830_141606.jpg

Smoke at average of 230 degrees for nine hours, started to sweat.

Wrap it, (tight) tap it, (insert temp probe) was at 145 degrees. And into a 225 (slow) oven.

Total cook time was 22 hours, I went slow on purpose. Open oven and open foil for a few minutes to let out steam, recover and place back into oven to rest.

Rocky mountain oysters are just about the best damn thing you could ever eat.

Throw that red bell pepper in the trash and put some real chile' up in that there.

Reactions: Average guy
Ok one for the easy crowd that can use a knife and oven.

20201023_231421.jpg

Potato wedges / thick fries go in first set timer for 30 minutes 350 degrees. Coat with evo and spices.

Toss and turn add sausage chunks set for 20 minutes.

Turn meat, add vegies, onion garlic tomato whatever set 15 minutes. A little oil and spice on them.

Should be done.

Full disclosure.
Do not over spice meat as my wife says I did.

Not a bowl of red.

Cold and rain hit and caught me flat footed.

Time for chili.
Lacking bulk chilies I needed in two stores to make a bowl or red I decided TexMex chili would do.

Store stripped of my normal chilies and preferred cuts of meat went into battle mode.

Only thing left hamburger meat and expensive steaks, wait here comes the butcher with an armload of clearance items for quick sale and use.

He had a pkg of skirt steak blastfamy but I was mexed out.

20201027_172626.jpg

Season the skirt steak with steak seasonings and chili powder, sear to burn off small ammount of fat left untrimmed and seal juices to rare or medium rare, wrap with foil and set aside till cool.

When you cut it cut across the grain about as thick as it is and then cube that, reserve any liquid.

Get onion garlic spices and a small amount of mexican oregano maybe a teaspoon per pound of meat max. Sweat that down then add meat and diced tomatoes .

Start sprinkling in chili mix a little at a time and this brand has no salt or flour. Dont overcook meat.

Save 1/2 the seasoning put in the can of beef broth, tomato sauce and saved steak juices stir but turn down heat and do not boil.

Stir remaining spices and hatch chillies in a little at a time and cook slow never boiling just a slow simmer.

20201027_201325.jpg

I may have changed my favorite chili meat forever as it was very tender and skirt steak has more flavor than most. I also used some smoked paprika, liquid smoke sucks.

As always use what you can get on sale and cook slow.

Reactions: johnnycat
Evo, spices hard cheeses, first hit.

20201101_225451.jpg

Cook till crust gets hardened.

Sauce and meat second hit.

20201101_230350.jpg

Last layer.

20201101_235258.jpg

3 meats 4 cheese not much else.

Not a lot of skill required cook till cheese gets a little brown on it and don't burn crust.

Wife and I polished it off in one setting.
20201101_235258.jpg