• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Non Lead Ammo push, could it threaten shooting sports as we know it?

Back to the OP

Could we make bullets out of super cold ice? Chilled down to -375%. They might last logngenough for the flight from barrel to target then melt leaving only a hole in the target or victim/prey? :whistle: :rolleyes:

Seems like I read years ago about a guy who stabbed an other guy to death with an icicle and got of because the murder weapon couldnt be found...non vetted.
It would be cheaper than mono or lead. ;)

As of today I haven't found an economically viable solution, to probably a non- existing problem. At least as far as lead pollution from lead ammo.

If the theory is that lead in the carcass can get eaten by raptors, then I disagree completely.

I kill 4-6 game animals every year for our freezer. It is a rare occurrence for me to recover a bullet inside an animal. I can think of 2 in the last 10 years. The rest were complete pass-through shots.

Reactions: xsn10s
Like I said in the first post I think this is just a way to ban lead ammo. Just like they did in California. California is always a testing grounds and blue print for banning 2A rights. Mono bullets for ELR or LR shooting? Yeah I can see some possible benefits. Other than that lead bullets have killed game just fine. I dumped a coyote Saturday that was circling some cattle Saturday with a 53 gr vmax. One and done.

If the theory is that lead in the carcass can get eaten by raptors, then I disagree completely.

I kill 4-6 game animals every year for our freezer. It is a rare occurrence for me to recover a bullet inside an animal. I can think of 2 in the last 10 years. The rest were complete pass-through shots.
They claim that the lead particles are the issue. Which I can see. But the Eagle population has quadrupled since I think 2009. So IMO lead isn't an issue.

Back when I hunted I always hit something that stopped it, rib or some bone. And I was not using 223 on deer, or even 243, good ole 3006. Usually a busted rib or something stopped it.

Now I have not hunted in over 30 years, there is really nothing there for me anymore. But I "always" found a bullet. I even found a bullet that was not mine stuck in the shoulder blade of a pig. That boy with a bullet stuck in his shoulder had to be one tough SOB. I even bounced a 357 off the skull of a pig, fucker was pissed.

I hate wild hogs and starlings. Not many hogs around here, but the starlings, good doG. Those I have worked to have the pellet stay in the bird so it does not tear stuff up in the barn.

They even have some "hunting" groups that bought into the non lead ammo idea. A California idea. I think it's for the money. With hunting mono bullets costing on average twice as much as even Bergers they'll price out most hunters. COVID prices are already succeeding at that.

Like I said in the first post I think this is just a way to ban lead ammo. Just like they did in California. California is always a testing grounds and blue print for banning 2A rights. Mono bullets for ELR or LR shooting? Yeah I can see some possible benefits. Other than that lead bullets have killed game just fine. I dumped a coyote Saturday that was circling some cattle Saturday with a 53 gr vmax. One and done.
Yeah it's important to remember they never really want what they say it's all demonic manipulation.

They said they just wanted gay marriage so they could jointly pay taxes and be left alone.

They really want to sexually abuse and pervert all the children, destroy all that's holy, and God only knows what else.

This is just a step towards disarmament. guarantee the mil / police wont be slinging monos anytime soon.

This is just a step towards disarmament. guarantee the mil / police wont be slinging monos anytime soon.
Yeah especially if they ever get a chance to disarm the police. I think San Francisco tried to do that. I know they disarmed parole officers for a time. One of my friend's brother quit after he lost his third female partner due to violent attacks. She took a beating, he had a knife blade broken off in his chest. More California "sensible" ideas.

This is the mentality of what we're up against.
1684157849456.png

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-l...d-make-gun-control-effective-gun-control-p-42

They claim that the lead particles are the issue. Which I can see. But the Eagle population has quadrupled since I think 2009. So IMO lead isn't an issue.
I think a lot of this started in the past with Condor's. Something was causing the shell to be thin so the birds hatched early and died. Looks like it was DDT, but the greens looked sideways. In extreme cases I can see it, but thats so rare as to be silly. Not much difference between an eafle and a condor.

1. blogs.scientificamerican.com › extinctionBanned Pesticide DDT Is Still Killing California Condors

Just one week after the California legislature voted to ban lead ammunition to protect California condors from the toxic substance, which they can consume via carcasses shot by hunters, new...

Just came across this thread and haven't read the whole thing.... but I will say this... regardless of the side of the fence you are on.... a total ban on lead core bullets will hurt hunting and the target shooting industry which in turn will cripple the gun makers and ammo makers combined and it will harm our military as well. No way around it!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

• Sad
Reactions: Maggot and xsn10s
I think a lot of this started in the past with Condor's. Something was causing the shell to be thin so the birds hatched early and died. Looks like it was DDT, but the greens looked sideways. In extreme cases I can see it, but thats so rare as to be silly. Not much difference between an eafle and a condor.

1. blogs.scientificamerican.com › extinctionBanned Pesticide DDT Is Still Killing California Condors

Just one week after the California legislature voted to ban lead ammunition to protect California condors from the toxic substance, which they can consume via carcasses shot by hunters, new...
Here's a piece from the National Audubon Society about the lead ammo ban in CA for the condors. DDT ban was much earlier during the Nixon admin if I remember correctly. And yes it was due to thin egg shells in ducks and waterfowl. The Audubon Association WAS against windmills/ solar at one point. Now they deem that the birds killed by solar/ windmills necessary for the advancement of "green" energy.

Last edited:
Just came across this thread and haven't read the whole thing.... but I will say this... regardless of the side of the fence you are on.... a total ban on lead core bullets will hurt hunting and the target shooting industry which in turn will cripple the gun makers and ammo makers combined and it will harm our military as well. No way around it!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Unfortunately some in the hunting world bought into the non lead ammo push. They SAY they don't want a ban, while continuing to push to STOP using lead ammo. I take the same stance a mechanical engineer said, they're using junk science and emotion to push the non lead idea. Again a CALIFORNIA idea, policy and eventually law.

Reactions: Frank Green
Here's a piece from the National Audubon Society about the lead ammo ban in CA for the condors. DDT ban was much earlier during the Nixon admin if I remember correctly. And yes it was due to thin egg shells in ducks and waterfowl. The Audubon Association WAS against windmills/ solar at one point. Now they deem that the birds killed by solar/ windmills necessary for the advancement of "green" energy.
I dont see a link?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I see it as the same as the first :30 of this video.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
I sent the OP to Hornady asking for comments. Nothing yet.

Personally, I beleve in being pro active. What 'affordable' substance could we substitute? Which element on the periodic table exhibits similar qualities? How about man made polymers or ceramic. IDK, not in that field, but it never hurts to plan out alternatives. If we can go to the moon we can certainly build a better bullet...if necessary.

One weasel way would be to do what the illegal drug makers do, designer drugs, one isotope off the real thing, worked the same, legal. Lead - 1

It pays to have a plan B.

I sent the OP to Hornady asking for comments. Nothing yet.

Personally, I beleve in being pro active. What 'affordable' substance could we substitute? Which element on the periodic table exhibits similar qualities? How about man made polymers or ceramic. IDK, not in that field, but it never hurts to plan out alternatives. If we can go to the moon we can certainly build a better bullet...if necessary.

One weasel way would be to do what the illegal drug makers do, designer drugs, one isotope off the real thing, worked the same, legal. Lead - 1

It pays to have a plan B.
I've looked for a lead substitute and haven't found any that would be cost effective. I believe both tungsten and bismuth are considered heavy metals and I thought I saw studies about posioning from both. If they even pass a lead ammo ban I see a copper dangerous shards study coming after whatever bullet or ammo company is left standing. Badda bing done, all without a 2A ban.

Reactions: Maggot
I see it as the same as the first :30 of this video.

That's a smaller issue compared to a lead ammo ban. What Biden proposed is a total lead ammo ban on all Federal lands where hunting is allowed. That's pretty much most of the US where there is open lands. If that happens it's a small push to get a lead ammo ban on private lads due to "lead runoff".

I've looked for a lead substitute and haven't found any that would be cost effective. I believe both tungsten and bismuth are considered heavy metals and I thought I saw studies about posioning from both. If they even pass a lead ammo ban I see a copper dangerous shards study coming after whatever bullet or ammo company is left standing. Badda bing done, all without a 2A ban.
Hopefully, it wont come to this, but as I said, its wise to have a plan B. I think youre only seeing the glass as half empty. If we can go to the moon we could beat this if necessary. As I said Im not a chemist nor physicist, but science used wisely can be amazing. I've got a new hip and new eye lenses. A different bullet should be a piece of cake.

Tin is close to lead. For hunting a FMJ of tim with a small steel core designed to tumble and expelthe tim> IDK but every problem has a solution, if you dont wait too long.

Hornady, if youre watching this thread Maggot's looking for a job.

1684160455995.png

Last edited:
This is why i brought this up here. IMO and some of my friends in the firearms industry this has the potential to raise costs so high our 2A Rights could be in jeopardy. If people cannot afford ammo then people will stop shooting. Give that a generaltion or two people will line up to trade their firearms for a latest generation xbox.

Hopefully, it wont come to this, but as I said, its wise to have a plan B. I think youre only seeing the glass as half empty. If we can go to the moon we could beat this if necessary. As I said Im not a chemist nor physicist, but science used wisely can be amazing. I've got a new hip and new eye lenses. A different bullet should be a piece of cake.

Tin is close to lead. For hunting a FMJ of tim with a small steel core designed to tumble and expelthe tim> IDK but every problem has a solution, if you dont wait too long.

Hornady, if youre watching this thread Maggot's looking for a job.

View attachment 8141621
The shotgun industry has had decades to come up with a solution to a lead ban. Nothing new has come from it.

The shotgun industry has had decades to come up with a solution to a lead ban. Nothing new has come from it.
They havent looked hard enough. Every problem is just a solution waiting to happen.

It's cost. Raise the cost on anything you WANT to ban but cannot. This idea has been pushed in college classes for thirty years. Studies on cost in relation to changing behavior. I had a debate on this with a former friend. He argued you can change behavior by raising costs. This is a way to change behavior without legislation. I said that is an un-American idea. WE dictate out behavior by the LAWS we pass and ENFORCE.

It's cost. Raise the cost on anything you WANT to ban but cannot. This idea has been pushed in college classes for thirty years. Studies on cost in relation to changing behavior. I had a debate on this with a former friend. He argued you can change behavior by raising costs. This is a way to change behavior without legislation. I said that is an un-American idea. WE dictate out behavior by the LAWS we pass and ENFORCE.
Absolutely.

Thats why the wise look ahead and plan instead of worrying and complaining.

One of those factors you mention is volume to cost. The more you produce or buy, generally the price goes down. If research and production were planned for today, with viable option in case of the worst, Production could be scaled up quicl=kly to replace that no onger available. If you wait until the last minute you're generally fucked.

Seems like I've heard this phrase somewhere.

You can win or whine. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Must be wrong.

The Eagle angle is a crock of shit.
Windmills kill plenty, haven't heard any caterwauling about that.

R

This ^^^.
Everyone raise their hand that would buy an EV with gas at a buck?

R

Absolutely.

Thats why the wise look ahead and plan instead of worrying and complaining.

One of those factors you mention is volume to cost. The more you produce or buy, generally the price goes down. If research and production were planned for today, with viable option in case of the worst, Production could be scaled up quicl=kly to replace that no onger available. If you wait until the last minute you're generally fucked.

Seems like I've heard this phrase somewhere.

You can win or whine. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Must be wrong.
Whining or warning. I say warning. The adaptation that ammo makers have tried comes down to this mono all copper, sintering, and tungsten bismuth. We could look for a bullet to appease the greenies or we can fight this new adaptation to banning firearms. I say fight this new tactic.

This ^^^.
Everyone raise their hand that would buy an EV with gas at a buck?

R
You know what 's shame? We could've been driving nat gas cars and helped the environment far more than the push towards EV's in the last twenty years. With carbon capture there's no reason not to push for this right now. We were burning excess nat gas because we had nowhere to store it. Old so called "gas guzzlers" could have been converted to nat gas.

Whining or warning. I say warning. The adaptation that ammo makers have tried comes down to this mono all copper, sintering, and tungsten bismuth. We could look for a bullet to appease the greenies or we can fight this new adaptation to banning firearms. I say fight this new tactic.
I say oppose, first, but have a good backup plan.

I've worked in ammo developement and have looked for an alternative. I don't see any economically viable alternatives. Been looking for at least 17 years. I even looked the other day. No such luck. So if a lead ban comes get ready to double the ammo prices. Copper is 4X's more than lead by the ton right now.

I agree having a good backup plan is a good idea. I'll contend that the private sector looks for the most economical viable method to appease laws while increasing profit margins. That means lowering operating costs to increase margins. so far they haven't found it. And they know that this threat is coming. Which is most likely why no one will hear anything from a larger bullet manufacturer.

I don’t think a lead ammo ban will materially affect medium/big game hunting in the USA. The average deer hunter doesn’t shoot enough to be affected by this. One box of cartridges can last several years at the pace a deer hunter shoots.

It could affect wingshooters, but then again, bird shot is already hovering at around $10 per box. Seems like highway robbery to me. But, I’m not going to let the lack of a flat of shells get in the way of a dove hunting weekend. Ammo cost is not the limiting factor there.

Clay shooters seem impervious to ammo costs. I’ve watched as target loads have gone from ~$5 per box (which I thought was expensive at the time) to $10 per box and haven’t seen a dip in tournament turn out. Maybe it’s the area.

Waterfowlers are already dealing with a lead ammo ban. They grumble about the cost of “heavy shot” and the lack of lethality in steel shot. But, they still get out there and do their thing too.

I’m not saying I agree with a lead ban. I’m saying that there are a lot of “shooters” that will look at this idea and say “doesn’t affect me…”

I've worked in ammo developement and have looked for an alternative. I don't see any economically viable alternatives. Been looking for at least 17 years. I even looked the other day. No such luck. So if a lead ban comes get ready to double the ammo prices. Copper is 4X's more than lead by the ton right now.
At least its less dense so less weight p/cm/3.

I still wouldnt give up on American resourcefulness.

FJB

I don’t think a lead ammo ban will materially affect medium/big game hunting in the USA. The average deer hunter doesn’t shoot enough to be affected by this. One box of cartridges can last several years at the pace a deer hunter shoots.

It could affect wingshooters, but then again, bird shot is already hovering at around $10 per box. Seems like highway robbery to me. But, I’m not going to let the lack of a flat of shells get in the way of a dove hunting weekend. Ammo cost is not the limiting factor there.

Clay shooters seem impervious to ammo costs. I’ve watched as target loads have gone from ~$5 per box (which I thought was expensive at the time) to $10 per box and haven’t seen a dip in tournament turn out. Maybe it’s the area.

Waterfowlers are already dealing with a lead ammo ban. They grumble about the cost of “heavy shot” and the lack of lethality in steel shot. But, they still get out there and do their thing too.

I’m not saying I agree with a lead ban. I’m saying that there are a lot of “shooters” that will look at this idea and say “doesn’t affect me…”
I disagree. I hear complaints on ammo prices everyday at work. I used to hunt waterfowl. I don't anymore. The ban Biden proposed is all lead ammo on Federal Lands that have hunting.

At least its less dense so less weight p/cm/3.

I still wouldnt give up on American resourcefulness.

FJB
I haven't given up on American resourcefulness. I'm trying to redirect our efforts from appeasing to the greenies to changing our tactics towards them. And the acceptance to what I consider is misguided science.

I haven't given up on American resourcefulness. I'm trying to redirect our efforts from appeasing to the greenies to changing our tactics towards them. And the acceptance to what I consider is misguided science.
I'll (likely) leave this conversation with this thought.

How many time did Edison fail at the lightbulb?

That's a smaller issue compared to a lead ammo ban. What Biden proposed is a total lead ammo ban on all Federal lands where hunting is allowed. That's pretty much most of the US where there is open lands. If that happens it's a small push to get a lead ammo ban on private lads due to "lead runoff".
The link I was trying to make is they tell you well it is about lead issues with the wild life, when every dog in the joint knows that is not it. Just like the training thing, the closing down where you can train.

The link I was trying to make is they tell you well it is about lead issues with the wild life, when every dog in the joint knows that is not it. Just like the training thing, the closing down where you can train.
I get it. My point is this won't affect just hunters. It'll affect all those who value 2A rights. And those that compete or shoot more will be affected the most.

Reactions: fpgt72
The Eagle angle is a crock of shit.
Windmills kill plenty, haven't heard any caterwauling about that.

R
Remember the solar massive money hole outside of Vegas, focus the sun onto a pile of salt melt it during the day and use the heat at night to keep things going. Now currently closed down IIRC. Birds would actually....ACTUALLY BURST INTO FLAMES flying through this crap. Nope no issues, just fine.

I'll (likely) leave this conversation with this thought.

How many time did Edison fail at the lightbulb?
You don't have to leave. I appreciate the thoughtful discussion. My point is the bullet industry has been looking for a solution long before the ban in CA. And no one has come up with a cheaper alternative. If you have a cheaper alternative I'm all ears. A cheaper alternative would sell big time. The one who finds it would be way ahead of the whole market. And why should we be forced to shoot non lead ammo wen the science doesn't really add up? I say windmills, solar plants, and everyday cars kills far more bird and wildlife than hunting with lead ammo.

Remember the solar massive money hole outside of Vegas, focus the sun onto a pile of salt melt it during the day and use the heat at night to keep things going. Now currently closed down IIRC. Birds would actually....ACTUALLY BURST INTO FLAMES flying through this crap. Nope no issues, just fine.
Yup I think the plant workers call them "streamers".