• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Norma Magnums

Re: Norma Magnums

Took one to the Gunsite ELR class and was pretty much keeping up with the crowd shooting 338LM. Wind favors the heavier bullets but come ups were similar. I was shooting 230 Berger Hybrids over 85.3gr of Retumbo for 2940fps. This is a stout load so work up your load with this in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took one to the Gunsite ELR class and was pretty much keeping up with the crowd shooting 338LM. Wind favors the heavier bullets but come ups were similar. I was shooting 230 Berger Hybrids over 85.3gr of Retumbo for 2940fps. This is a stout load so work up your load with this in mind.</div></div>

Don't let him fool you, his 300NM load was awesome...
Stone cold, Bruno dropped and shot a 3" 5 shot group on paper at 1000 yard, no practice, just hammered.

I'm skipping 300WM and going straight to Norma.

I'm running the 230's at 3050 out of a 40° improved case. I find this load to be much more plesant (recoil wise) than sending the 300 SMK's at 2875 out of my Edge.

Hows the barrel life does anyone know? I had a thread asking questions about the 300 norma a couple of months back. Everyone tried to talk me into a 300 wm. But I am very interested in a 300 norma build. Already have all the parts just need to take it to my gunsmith but still debating on 300wm or norma.

The Norma mags are great calibers, and the brass is top quality. Every bit as good as Lapua brass in my opinion.
I designed a 300 JAZZ (300 NM AI) back before they came out with the 300 Norma, and also have reloaded for the 338 Norma. Can't go wrong with these calibers. Don't know about barrel life, as have not burned one up yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mauser34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be a <span style="color: #3366FF">good cheap</span> action for this round? </div></div>

Those two words usually don't go together. You just missed the Stiller group buy.

You might see if you can get the Savage action that they build the 338LM off of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mauser34</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be a good cheap action for this round?</div></div>

I have a 338 NM in a Rem 700 action. A 3.6" magazine is minimum for the 300 or 338 NM to shoot 240 or 300 grain VLD bullets. That's the main advantage of the Norma Mags over the 338 Lapua Mag. It's a shorter case. 2.5" for the Norma vs 2.724" for the Lapua.

The only major mod to a 700 action is to replace the bolt with one with with an extractor which doesn't fit between the cartridge and the bolt (like standard Rem 700 bolts do). PTG makes suitable bolts for the Norma Mags (and Lapua mags) for use in a Rem 700.

Remington sells a 338 Lapua Mag 700, but it can't shoot the heavy VLDs from it's short magazine. Actually a 300 or 338 Rem Ultra has more case capacity than the 300 or 338 Norma or 338 Lapua, but it's even more cramped for magazine space making it a rather short range cartridge. The big Weatherbys (xxx-378) are even worse for magazine space.

Is the rim diameter of the Norma magnums the same as a Lapua magnum? I have a 300 win mag and when it is time to re-barrel I don't wish to stay with the 300 WM for reloading.

Yeah it's .590". If you want more than 300WM and no belt but don't want to put a 590 case in from of a .700" bolt, look at the .30-375 Ruger.

What would a be a good round to chamber my Mauser in? The reason I ask is becacuse I have a few mausers and i have one action that has a shot out barrel on it. I'm looking to build something to consistently shoot 1000 yards and be able to kill a white tale deer.