• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

'Now it's my turn': Man testifies about shootout

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Talk about one badass old man with big brass balls and a will to live!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When a residential burglar fired a gun at Jay Leone last month, he was initially too angry to realize he had been shot in the head, he testified Friday.

"To tell you the truth, I never felt a thing," said Leone, 90, of Greenbrae. "I said, 'F—- you, you son of a bitch, now it's my turn.'"

Whereupon he shot five bullets at the suspect from his .38-caliber Smith & Wesson snubnose revolver, hitting the burglar three times in the abdomen. A scuffle ensued between the wounded men.

"Then he took the gun and put it to my head — click!" said Leone, who knew there were no bullets left in the gun. "And that was the end of that. He ran away."

Leone testified at the preliminary hearing of the suspect, Samuel Joseph Cutrufelli, who is charged with attempted murder, burglary, robbery and firearms offenses by a felon. After the hearing, Judge Paul Haakenson will decide whether there is sufficient evidence to hold a trial.

The shooting occurred at about 10:45 a.m. Jan. 3 at Leone's home on Via La Cumbre. Police said Cutrufelli entered the home, detained Leone at gunpoint and searched the residence for property.

After the gunbattle, Leone called 911 from his house, and Cutrufelli called 911 after stopping his car just over the San Rafael border. Cutrufelli, a 30-year-old Novato resident, said he had shot himself and needed medical attention, according to Twin Cities police.

Leone testified energetically, despite having been shot in the face just weeks ago. With his head shaved and a bandage on his left cheek, he described how the bullet entered his jaw area and exited the back of his neck, avoiding a fatal wound but eventually leading to a jaw infection, pneumonia and a breathing tube.

Under questioning from prosecutor Dorothy Chou Proudfoot, Leone described how the burglar entered his home, held a gun to his head and said there was a "contract out" on him.

"I said, 'How could there be a contract out on me?'" Leone said. "He said, 'I understand you're the guy with all the expensive cars.'"

While Leone had collected 1970s-era cars in the past, he had only a 1996 Mitsubishi and a 2005 Ford in his garage at the time. Then the burglar led him at gunpoint to the bedroom, which he allegedly ransacked for valuables while Leone sat on the bed.

Leone said he concocted a plan: He said he needed to use the bathroom, which is where his five guns were hidden. When the burglar refused, Leone pulled his pants down and said he would defecate on the spot.

The burglar let him leave for the bathroom but would not let him close the door, Leone said.

"I said, 'Do you like to watch people take a s—-?'" Leone testified. The burglar let him close the door, and Leone went for his Smith & Wesson snubnose.

Cutrufelli spent nine days at Marin General Hospital before he was well enough to be booked into jail. His public defender, Kathleen Boyle, has filed a motion to dismiss the charges, saying Cutrufelli was denied access to a lawyer while he was in the hospital, and the crime scene was contaminated in the interim.

The motion to dismiss is scheduled to be heard by Judge Andrew Sweet on March 15.

Outside the courtroom, Leone, a fitness buff and former member of the sheriff's air patrol, said he would like to go another round with Cutrufelli, perhaps in a classic duel at three paces.

"The doctor says I'm healing well," Leone said. "He said, 'For some reason, it didn't kill you.'"

</div></div>

Source - Marin Independent Journal

Re: 'Now it's my turn': Man testifies about shootout

pretty cool story....only thing weird to me is his choice out of five guns is a .38? i guess cause hes 90 its easier for him to shoot but anyway good to see people standing up for themselves

and im happy to at least see the old dude is not facing charges of his own.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pretty cool story....only thing weird to me is his choice out of five guns is a .38? i guess cause hes 90 its easier for him to shoot but anyway good to see people standing up for themselves

and im happy to at least see the old dude is not facing charges of his own..... </div></div>Im glad He's going to be ok. I would say that He chose the .38 snubbie because that was what He had access to in the john.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pretty cool story....only thing weird to me is his choice out of five guns is a .38? i guess cause hes 90 its easier for him to shoot but anyway good to see people standing up for themselves

and im happy to at least see the old dude is not facing charges of his own..... </div></div>Im glad He's going to be ok. I would say that He chose the .38 snubbie because that was what He had access to in the john. </div></div>

in the report it stated he stored all 5 of his guns in the bathroom - just figured he would probably of had something bigger is all - like i said either way just a thought i had happy he is well and fought for himself

He keeps 5 guns...in a bathroom..? haha

The only thing I see giving him trouble is that he says he "knew the gun was empty" before getting in the scuffle...which was right AFTER he shot the bad guy...So if he knew the bad guy's gun was empty and was no longer a threat, why did he shoot him? Just trying to think of this in a courtroom setting.

I'm also curious how many rounds the bad guy shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He keeps 5 guns...in a bathroom..? haha

The only thing I see giving him trouble is that he says he "knew the gun was empty" before getting in the scuffle...which was right AFTER he shot the bad guy...So if he knew the bad guy's gun was empty and was no longer a threat, why did he shoot him? Just trying to think of this in a courtroom setting.

I'm also curious how many rounds the bad guy shot.</div></div>

actually they were struggling for the Victim's gun and the bad guy tried to shoot him w/ it after the struggle, unclear as to were the bad guy's original gun went, which was used to initailly shoot the victim.

but as to your question, if that had actually been the case.

if someone shoots you in the face, and runs empty, you're perfectly justified shooting them as they've already displayed the means and intent, and for all you know, if you do NOT shoot them, they will reload and finish you off. therefoe any reasonable person would still be in fear for their life.

Good for the old man! I guarantee you that burglar never thought he would block 3 shots with his abdomen. It's a shame it didn't bounce off his spine, the lowlife.

Good on that Man. He deserves to be able to flip the switch to kill that scumbag (that or just let them duel it out)
laugh.gif