• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors np3 coating

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
i remember a post i made awhile back about front serations on my usp and allot of people told me to np3 my internals, well at first i though it was a waste of money mainly cause i couldnt see where that would do much good after all I am sure hk took into effect that the usp would be in all kinds of places from the sea to desert etc.

So after looking at robar's websight and seeing that np3 for your internals is 90 bucks i want to ask why ? why spend 90 on this process ?

some said in that last post you will get a better well smoother trigger is their any other reason ?

and would it help a psg1 pack to have its internals np3'ed ?

Re: np3 coating

I, for one, find it amazing that you can question the cost and "usefulness" of NP3 coating the internals of a pistol (or otherwise) but you are willing to spend $300+ on adding forward cocking serrations to a pistol that'll be lucky to see any use beyond the range and, God forbid, the nightstand...much less any real-life situation where they might be of use beyond purely aesthetic value to you. To each their own, I suppose.

That said...if you re-read that original thread about adding forward slide serrations to your USP, the benefits of NP3 coatings (external and internal) were explained pretty well.

Basically, NP3 is electroless nickel with a teflon mix. When applied to internals (rifles or pistols), it has numerous advantages, including amazing corrosion resistance, lubricity which smooths out actions/reduces friction/drag and eliminates the need for additional liquid/grease lubrication, cuts down on surface wear/tear of parts which in turn yields a longer life for those parts. Robar's site explains all of this in more detail. Take a look at Robar's site for more info:

http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm

As for NP3ing internals of a PSG-1 trigger group...that is a hard call to make. I don't know that you'll get any additional "smoothness" to speak of out of the trigger. The PSG-1 trigger is already an extremely smooth, polished trigger setup. What you'll likely see in terms of benefit would be the lubricity, corrosion resistance and extended life of the internals.

If you don't get it, then don't bother. I've always felt that too many people treat NP3 like piston AR's:
- Few people run guns hard enough to see the full benefit
- Too many people believe it is a replacement for regular maintenance.

enough with the damn usp, ump, mp5, hk shit!! you are wearing it out kid. every damn post is UMP did this, this guy made fun of my plastic gun, I want to coat myself in black and be a living replica of my USP.

GET A NEW TOPIC PLEASE!!!

Years ago I had some checkering done on my 1911. Sent it out for black Roguard and NP3 internals. Really turned out nice. The black Roguard has a nice glossy black to it and the NP3 is a satin silver.

The NP3 is a self lubricating even though I still would add oil to it. Wear wasn't noticable while I had the gun. Even after several thousand rounds.

Cut

NP3 is snake oil anyway. Hard chrome offers better corrosion resistance and is slicker, harder, and more durable than any type of nickel plating.

But what's the difference? This guy obviously would rather talk about guns than shoot anyway.

A usp is a great gun, whats 90$ on a 900$ gun especially if your planning on keeping it for a while and shootin the hell out of it, test it out, then let me know how it works, maybe i'll get it done to my usp tactical.

I think the USP has done pretty well so far without NP3 internals. It already lasts a hell of a long time. Use the money for ammo instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NP3 is snake oil anyway. Hard chrome offers better corrosion resistance and is slicker, harder, and more durable than any type of nickel plating.

But what's the difference? This guy obviously would rather talk about guns than shoot anyway. </div></div>

I agree he would rather talk. However, AWP Cogan indicates that hard chrome (industrial stuff) will withstand right around 100 hours of salt spray whereas NP3 goes in excess of 240 hours. I do agree with the harder and more durable, but I always understood the corrosion resistance to be in favor of the NP3. Robar also guarantees it for life and will recoat your parts if necessary.

That being said, I own no weapons that have ever been to Robar for anything.

Josh

I have been very happy with the NP3 I had done to my guns. All of my bolt rifles have had the bolt/internals done. No corrosion, slicks up the action, and cleans up easily. I plan on having more pistols done with it and may have my 1911 completely done with NP3 once all the mods are finished.

A friend of mine had it done to his Lightweight Commander almost 20 years ago. It still looks great for a daily carry gun and works slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Reactions: deersniper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NP3 is snake oil anyway. Hard chrome offers better corrosion resistance and is slicker, harder, and more durable than any type of nickel plating.

But what's the difference? This guy obviously would rather talk about guns than shoot anyway. </div></div>

I agree he would rather talk. However, AWP Cogan indicates that hard chrome (industrial stuff) will withstand right around 100 hours of salt spray whereas NP3 goes in excess of 240 hours. I do agree with the harder and more durable, but I always understood the corrosion resistance to be in favor of the NP3. Robar also guarantees it for life and will recoat your parts if necessary.

Josh </div></div>

I'm not planning on spraying my guns with salt water for over 100 hours, but thanks for that.

I am, however, getting my 2011 chromed.

NP3 is an awesome finish - whereas Hard Chrome won't get ya home, like the Jeepsters say ...
laugh.gif

NP3 makes clean-up a breeze and its inherent lubricity eliminates the need for oil on the coated parts, though out of paranoia I still use a drop up inside the slide.

On this G29 it's over 5 years old and has handled a few thousand rounds. I'm happy with Robar's work. ...

Interestingly, the color of NP3 appears slightly different in different types and intensities of lighting.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Outdoors in shade</span>:
BB.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Indoor lighting</span>:
G29-5.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Outdoors in sun</span>:
ZH-G29.jpg

cool.gif

It does look bad ass. If they didn't charge so much, I'd send the whole safe.

Np3 has served me well for over 10 years. May be costly, but consider the item it's being applied to. In my cases the NP# has been a fraction of the total cost.

berrrrrrrrrrr.jpg

break.jpg

OH MY!!! NOW <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">THAT</span></span> IS A THING OF BEAUTY!!! And I thought the work they did on my HK P7's were works of art!?!

If that doesn't convince the naysayers of Robar's quality of service and the value of NP3...nothing will!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NP3 is snake oil anyway. Hard chrome offers better corrosion resistance and is slicker, harder, and more durable than any type of nickel plating.

Josh </div></div>

I'm not planning on spraying my guns with salt water for over 100 hours, but thanks for that.

I am, however, getting my 2011 chromed. </div></div>

Great. I was just pointing out the fact that you claimed superior corrosion protection from hard chrome when that is clearly not the case. There are tons of great coatings out there. NP3 just happens to be one of them. My personal 1911 is headed off to ionbond in the near future.

Josh

Careful, MD or else Downzero will get all "emperical" on ya.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">enough with the damn usp, ump, mp5, hk shit!! you are wearing it out kid. every damn post is UMP did this, this guy made fun of my plastic gun, I want to coat myself in black and be a living replica of my USP.

GET A NEW TOPIC PLEASE!!! </div></div>

guess in the turn around every one can stop talking about remmy 700 and ai and ar15's lol

i guess what i wanted to say is mainly has any one np3ed their parts and if so did they notice any thing different from be for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This must be research for his upcoming book.... </div></div>

no usp's will be featured in the upcoming book, their is already a book out their on usp's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This must be research for his upcoming book.... </div></div>

no usp's will be featured in the upcoming book, their is already a book out their on usp's </div></div>

Nothing quite like combining improper use of an apostrophe in the same sentence with a common grammatical error to plug your book. I can't wait to gaze at what a masterpiece your book will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Great. I was just pointing out the fact that you claimed superior corrosion protection from hard chrome when that is clearly not the case. There are tons of great coatings out there. NP3 just happens to be one of them. My personal 1911 is headed off to ionbond in the near future.

Josh </div></div>

I thought I already said that I made a mistake there.

Ionbond is not very durable at all from my observations. I thought it'd be a great idea until I realized that it peels right off.

I think it's a shame that most coatings that gun refinishers are doing are just made to look nice when the customer gets the gun. None are really made to look good for the long haul.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought I already said that I made a mistake there.</div></div>

Not really...Before it may have been implied. At least you made it explicit now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ionbond is not very durable at all from my observations. I thought it'd be a great idea until I realized that it peels right off.

I think it's a shame that most coatings that gun refinishers are doing are just made to look nice when the customer gets the gun. None are really made to look good for the long haul. </div></div>

Firstly, I am not calling you a liar. I had personally seen one representation of ionbond on a pistol with around 4,000 rounds through it and it showed little wear. No review that I have seen has been unfavorable. If you could point me in the direction of an unfavorable review I would be thankful. I do like to have all the info before I spend that type of money.

Hard chrome would be my second choice, but I was under the impression that ionbond was getting as favorable a reception as melonite (isonite, tenifer, whatever). If I am off base, it is better that I know now.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ionbond is not very durable at all from my observations. I thought it'd be a great idea until I realized that it peels right off.

I think it's a shame that most coatings that gun refinishers are doing are just made to look nice when the customer gets the gun. None are really made to look good for the long haul. </div></div>

Firstly, I am not calling you a liar. I had personally seen one representation of ionbond on a pistol with around 4,000 rounds through it and it showed little wear. No review that I have seen has been unfavorable. If you could point me in the direction of an unfavorable review I would be thankful. I do like to have all the info before I spend that type of money.

Hard chrome would be my second choice, but I was under the impression that ionbond was getting as favorable a reception as melonite (isonite, tenifer, whatever). If I am off base, it is better that I know now.

Josh [/quote]

+1 I would also like to see evidence of this for ion bonding.

You guys never fail to amaze me with your senseless dick measuring.

That said, one thing to remember about NP3 is the presense of the teflon molecules that add lubricity. Another little known fact is that NP3 forms extacly to the form of the material to which it is applied, there are no "rounded" edges from the coating. Say if you would apply paint or even chrome to a sharp metal edge, the effect would show at a microscopic level that sharp edge being slightly rounded due to the coating. The emchanism is now riding on that rounded edge and not the entire surface of the metal. NP3 maintains that sharp edge, allowing the entire surface to make contact, allowing for a smoother tighter feel. This is why POF started to NP3 all of their production guns. I have a pic I can post if anyone is interested.

It isn't really dick measuring.

There is a difference between trying to pass one's own opinion off as fact and using speculation and limited evidence to support one's own agenda. This is of NO help to anyone.

AND

bringing to light helpful insight to add to the larger picture of said product for the greater good of public info.

The particular member in question tends to stick with the first type of posting.

That being said, I was unaware of the NP3 property you just described and think you should post the pic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It isn't really dick measuring.

There is a difference between trying to pass one's own opinion off as fact and using speculation and limited evidence to support one's own agenda. This is of NO help to anyone.

AND

bringing to light helpful insight to add to the larger picture of said product for the greater good of public info.

The particular member in question tends to stick with the first type of posting.

That being said, I was unaware of the NP3 property you just described and think you should post the pic. </div></div>

Hmm, I see your point, perhaps I over generalized (Or was too inclusive).

None the less, here is the graphic we got from Robar when we started using NP3 on the POF uppers, lowers and the C.R.O.S. (Corrosion Resistant Operating System). The blue part of the graphic is the bare metal, the white part is the coating / plating / whatever you want to call it.

np3effects.jpg

Anyone done a bolt ? Or a desert tech bolt? Thinking about sending a couple SRS bolts to be done. Hopefully it will smooth up the action.